Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also unlike the switch they have good flashcarts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do they make 3DS flashcarts? Thought those went out of fashion when people figured out how to just download free games right from Nintendos servers

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

hatty posted:

Do they make 3DS flashcarts? Thought those went out of fashion when people figured out how to just download free games right from Nintendos servers

No. 3DS got hacked pretty early so there's no flashcarts or really any counterfeit cartridges out there. (Which is nice for a collector like me.)

Also just get a 3DS, hack it, and install everything to the SD card. It's a really easy process these days. You don't even need a flash cart to play DS games anymore.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There was briefly a 3DS flashcart (Sky3DS) but yeah it was pretty much immediately obsoleted by CFW so they never became a commodity thing like DS flashcarts were

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I played a decent amount of DS games on Nexus7 tablet in portrait mode. If you haven't played "Ghost Trick" yet, immediately quit your job, leave your first child's birth, parents funeral and go play it.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Could you port a ds or 3ds game to nintendo switch by just having both screens displayed side by side on the switch? And retaining the touch controls when in handheld mode?

I wonder if that would work for knights in the nightmare

The different screen sizes and aspect ratios of the 3DS' screens makes it just awkward enough to not work imo

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I played a decent amount of DS games on Nexus7 tablet in portrait mode. If you haven't played "Ghost Trick" yet, immediately quit your job, leave your first child's birth, parents funeral and go play it.

I second this!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ghost Trick got a native iOS port forever ago but they never put it on Android :argh:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Link Between Worlds needs an HD port along with LttP in the same engine

make it happen nintendo I will pay you $60 for the two

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Would rather get an Oracle game double pack

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hatty posted:

those are in weird no man's land because of the Capcom development though, aren't they

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

hatty posted:

Oracle remakes in the Link's Awakening remake engine feels like the most obvious move possible and I don't know why they haven't done it. Is the Capcom thing really that much of an obstacle? Or maybe they've just been taking their time making sure these won't have LA's frame issues.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone heard anything about the performance of Lego Star Wars on the Switch? I am assuming it doesn’t have a 60fps mode like the other consoles/PC but do we know if it can maintain a steady 30?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LuckyCat posted:

Anyone heard anything about the performance of Lego Star Wars on the Switch? I am assuming it doesn’t have a 60fps mode like the other consoles/PC but do we know if it can maintain a steady 30?

The game’s not out until tomorrow as far as I know

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

The game’s not out until tomorrow as far as I know

Reviews are already dropping. I’ve seen people talking about performance of the Xbox and others but not the switch. One review of the switch version just talked about gameplay but the footage looked less smooth than the Xbox but maybe not terrible? Anyone seen a review that specifically mentions switch perf?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, aside from that what’s the general opinion of the game so far based on reviews?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, aside from that what’s the general opinion of the game so far based on reviews?

Seems to be generally very positive. Big open world-esque levels with full camera control, combat with combos and skill trees, hundreds of unlockable characters, hub areas with content, great humor and music as always with LEGO games. 11 hours to roll credits but much more if you go for collectibles etc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good to know (especially since this was one of the most expensive games I’ve ever bought).

Do we know anything about the voice cast yet out of curiosity (like if they actually got any of the movie actors back)?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

LuckyCat posted:

Based on videos like this it appears to hold a pretty steady 30 fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN1g_skbwhk&t=20s

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

those are in weird no man's land because of the Capcom development though, aren't they

They're in the shadow realm, along with Power Stone and Tatsunoko VS Capcom.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Procrastine posted:

Oracle remakes in the Link's Awakening remake engine feels like the most obvious move possible and I don't know why they haven't done it. Is the Capcom thing really that much of an obstacle? Or maybe they've just been taking their time making sure these won't have LA's frame issues.

It's because they're not very good games. Like yes they're decent, but low on the rung of Zelda games. I began replaying them a year ago and burnt on just how rote it all felt.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oracle of Ages is the best Zelda game though? wtf

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I couldn't beat the second boss of Oracle of Ages as a kid, so I got frustrated and hid it in a drawer. :smith:

This is a good metaphor for my life, somehow.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
As a kid I played Ages first and then did a linked game with Seasons.

Then the games came out on the 3DS VC and I was like "I should play Seasons first and then do a linked game with Ages." Twice I've attempted this, both times ended the same way. I beat Seasons, then played some of Ages and eventually got bored of it and quit.

Since I'm able to play Seasons all the way through with no issues, but fail to finish Ages, I can only conclude Ages is the bad one and everyone who thinks otherwise is blinded by nostalgia.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Actually both Oracle games are good and top tier Zeldas better than Breath of the Wild.

Granted I just have a personal peeve against BotW, and unlike many others I can admit it's a great Zelda. Just not for me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ages is better than botw and i love botw

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Ages and Oracle are mid and mostly just riding on the coattails of LA nostalgia which is fine because LA is just that awesome.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I want 4 swords adventures with online multiplayer please

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Ages and Seasons are fine but last time I played them I was surprised at how much of the games rely on talking to a specific npc to flag a world event to progress the game. Maybe I've just played Link's Awakening too much to notice if that games does it too, but I recall getting stuck in both ooa and oos and turning to walk-throughs and the solution was typically "go talk to this person again and then go to this spot on the map and something will have changed"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's because they're not very good games. Like yes they're decent, but low on the rung of Zelda games. I began replaying them a year ago and burnt on just how rote it all felt.

stfu they kick rear end

American McGay posted:

Ages and Oracle are mid and mostly just riding on the coattails of LA nostalgia which is fine because LA is just that awesome.

i played them before link’s awakening, they own

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

External Organs posted:

I want 4 swords adventures with online multiplayer please

4 swords was a real fun 1 level battle royale. I would play it again

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the oracle games are good, actually

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
In retrospect, its pretty wild Nintendo released two new Zelda games on the GBC a month before the GBA launched.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Procrastine posted:

Grezzo’s working on something unannounced I assume. 🤷‍♂️

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ages and Seasons are fine but last time I played them I was surprised at how much of the games rely on talking to a specific npc to flag a world event to progress the game. Maybe I've just played Link's Awakening too much to notice if that games does it too, but I recall getting stuck in both ooa and oos and turning to walk-throughs and the solution was typically "go talk to this person again and then go to this spot on the map and something will have changed"

It's this. I'm not saying they suck or anything, but they're not incredible games. They're still Zelda games, and have some cool stuff. I think the temples are very good, but the overworld is less so as are all the characters.

American McGay posted:

Yeah pretty much.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Palmtree Panic posted:

In retrospect, its pretty wild Nintendo released two new Zelda games on the GBC a month before the GBA launched.
Well the GBA was backwards compatible and like most new systems, there wasn't a whole lot going on the first year. I didn't own a GBC so I picked up the two Oracles as my fourth and fifth "GBA" games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

repiv posted:

There was briefly a 3DS flashcart (Sky3DS) but yeah it was pretty much immediately obsoleted by CFW so they never became a commodity thing like DS flashcarts were

I'm glad it never caught on. The day the news broke about Cubic Ninja, I scooped up a copy at a GameStop for $5, it sold out everywhere, and copies were going for $80ish.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
All the Capcom Zeldas were great, Minish Cap is my favorite in the whole series

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
God minish cap ruled, they should let me play it on the switch without having to hack it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nintendo has to release a drip of content for nintendo switch online or else gamers like me will die from trying to play everything at once