Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

The_Doctor posted:

Nelson’s next game, An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs, now has a release date! May 25th, 2021!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AL0rblsHLE

This looks extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Finished it last night. It's an amazing experience and can't wait to recommend it to many people and see their reactions. I didn't know it was made by the developers of Dropsy but recognized the art style and color palette immediately.

What I've wondered since I started the game is how Hypnospace WORK exactly? The thing about using the hypnoband while you sleep makes you think of those "getting transported to a virtual world" stories but you and everyone else are just using a typical late 90s OS so... are people dreaming they're sitting on a computer? Or is the interface directly streamed to their minds and they type and move the cursor with their minds as if they had psychic powers?

I loved the small details sprinklered everywhere that aren't really needed to advance the story but make the world look very much alive, and how you can solve the cases in different ways thus rewarding "exploration" and lateral thinking. This actually saved my butt, since I couldn't access m1nx but it was enough to search for one of the usernames in Tim's "password thanksgiving festa" to find the leaks.

I believe this actually counts as a bug, since when I tried to use the full "username?password" syntax for m1nx I noticed I couldn't write the "?" symbol and since the prompt only asks for the password and none of them work on any time period I assumed it was a red herring but then I read this thread and realized that I AM supposed to write it and the problem was that I am using a spanish keyboard which has the interrogation symbol in a different place so I had to use trial and error to find out I had to use Shift+6 to write "?". In all the decades I've played computer games this is the only case I remember that forces an english keyboard configuration so I didn't think about that possibility and I feel this should be addressed. If messing with the keyboard language could cause unexpected problems maybe reworking puzzles that use special characters might be easier? That was the only instance I found since dashes (-) and underscores (_) work fine but I only have around 42% completion on HAP so there's maybe more of them out there.

Speaking of language settings, since the desktop assistant's voice is tied to the system's language mine was reading the english text with spanish phonetics which made for some good unintended humour.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Petiso posted:

Finished it last night. It's an amazing experience and can't wait to recommend it to many people and see their reactions. I didn't know it was made by the developers of Dropsy but recognized the art style and color palette immediately.

What I've wondered since I started the game is how Hypnospace WORK exactly? The thing about using the hypnoband while you sleep makes you think of those "getting transported to a virtual world" stories but you and everyone else are just using a typical late 90s OS so... are people dreaming they're sitting on a computer? Or is the interface directly streamed to their minds and they type and move the cursor with their minds as if they had psychic powers?

Yes

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

The default resolution setting for this video is set to 480p so I had to drop it down to 144p for a more authentic late 90s Australian internet experience.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Just realized that I never posted about the physical switch edition, which is still up for preorder here: https://www.fangamer.com/products/hypnospace-outlaw-nintendo-switch-physical-game

It comes with an audio CD with ~20 minutes of new music/interviews with The Chowder Man, Fre3zer, and Merchantsoft. Also optionally a headband as an add-on. A vinyl OST is coming soon as well!

Also y'all may want to follow Zane_Rocks_36 on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Zane_Rocks_36/status/1413552876346089473

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Gaspy Conana posted:

Just realized that I never posted about the physical switch edition, which is still up for preorder here: https://www.fangamer.com/products/hypnospace-outlaw-nintendo-switch-physical-game

It comes with an audio CD with ~20 minutes of new music/interviews with The Chowder Man, Fre3zer, and Merchantsoft. Also optionally a headband as an add-on. A vinyl OST is coming soon as well!

Also y'all may want to follow Zane_Rocks_36 on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Zane_Rocks_36/status/1413552876346089473

I can't follow Zane. He will discover my secret: that I am Way Lame

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

I can't follow Zane. He will discover my secret: that I am Way Lame

Good news: you can go on his discord thats run by his friend. Nobody has to know about your gameness status

https://discord.gg/HkcRKs6tMZ

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I don't know how long it's going to last but it appears we now have an 'Open Eyed' forum:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=242

Now if only they could imbed the the perfection that is the zone's music.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
my file on the switch version is now stuck in a consistent hard crash loop immediately upon loading the file after getting 70% of the way through the game which means i need to restart from scratch and this apparently isn't unique to me either since people were whining about it on reddit a year ago lol

kind of beside myself this has gone unfixed

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
This has been next to impossible to test because the bug is Switch exclusive and super rare, and there's no way to get save files from people like on PC. Could you give a detailed account of where you were in the game and any guesses at what may cause it?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
spoilers for late-game events and secrets immediately after the hypnos update with no concrete progress ahead of that with the mind crash hack as the next goal. ive got the app for loving around with hypnos features and parameters. i broke hypii because i was just rapidfiring its samples to get a laugh out of the filenames and had sfx muted at the time so i didn't realize it would cause hypii to run through every selection in linear order. since you can only stop playback one selection at a time (and even by those metrics it seemed to be overloaded past the point of even registering those attempts) and the switch version doesn't have a bios boot or console as far as i can tell which was a friend's suggestion, i was stuck just muting sfx again and leaving hypii in a corner. that's the only intensity to my game state i can brainstorm, everything else was just static clutter. it did crash before that incident during the effect where the new unstable os update hangs for a couple of seconds, and i had another crash earlier in the game. i want to say it was during another glitchy effect on one of the netsettler pages but i wouldn't trust that memory enough to confidently say it's a common link. i've been playing through this slowly with said friend every so often so it's been a long stretch of time. i'd also done a fair amount of browsing and messing around post-update including with hypii's conniption ongoing without this consistent crashing problem. when it started happening in earnest last night all i'd done was spam click the stop button on hypii for another minute or so just to see if it'd shut up, install a few backgrounds i'd forgotten about, play a music file, adjust some sound settings, and look at a couple of zones without even navigating to any pages. i'm on fumes trying to recreate the scene leading in because there wasn't a scene leading in, this started within 10-15 minutes of playing.

unfortunately there's really no obvious series of steps or circumstances preceding the state it's in now which is crashing within 10-15 seconds of the game proper starting up after loading the save. i did mess with other parameters pretty extremely like hypnocoin but given the easter eggs attached to that and it just being a damned number i can't imagine it or any other element of that app would be part of the impact leading to the crash loop. everything else specific to my save beyond concrete progress is just files on the system or ordinary browsing, i don't have any exotic stuff running and besides hypii none of that persists across launches of the save anyway as far as i can tell, and i have no viruses active. so it's crashing out of a pretty benign and calm state.

edit: well i guess axxelerator or whatever persists between launches which i had turned on to see if it would disable that persistent hanging effect back before this problem, but i just now swept in and turned it off asap and logged out which saved that state successfully but it still crashes within 10-15 seconds of loading the save i'm on so that wasn't it or if it was, disabling the service after the fact doesn't help. it's also worth mentioning that after loading the save, the game will crash to the switch os consistently even if you immediately log off back to the wider file select screen. launching hypnospace outlaw from scratch and loading a new save keeps the game running fine. it's definitely specific to the save i've been playing through the game on.

edit 2: okay after checking my discord history and getting my friend to look at the game i can confidently say the first crash i talk about above did happen during the glitched effect of a netsettler page (specifically the double witness content) so there's that.

Violen fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 30, 2021

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Gaspy Conana posted:

This has been next to impossible to test because the bug is Switch exclusive and super rare, and there's no way to get save files from people like on PC. Could you give a detailed account of where you were in the game and any guesses at what may cause it?

As someone who works in software and has to deal with annoying bugs, I both sympathize with the challenge here, and appreciate that you're doing your best.

Good luck!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Violen posted:

spoilers for late-game events and secrets immediately after the hypnos update with no concrete progress ahead of that with the mind crash hack as the next goal. ive got the app for loving around with hypnos features and parameters. i broke hypii because i was just rapidfiring its samples to get a laugh out of the filenames and had sfx muted at the time so i didn't realize it would cause hypii to run through every selection in linear order. since you can only stop playback one selection at a time (and even by those metrics it seemed to be overloaded past the point of even registering those attempts) and the switch version doesn't have a bios boot or console as far as i can tell which was a friend's suggestion, i was stuck just muting sfx again and leaving hypii in a corner. that's the only intensity to my game state i can brainstorm, everything else was just static clutter. it did crash before that incident during the effect where the new unstable os update hangs for a couple of seconds, and i had another crash earlier in the game. i want to say it was during another glitchy effect on one of the netsettler pages but i wouldn't trust that memory enough to confidently say it's a common link. i've been playing through this slowly with said friend every so often so it's been a long stretch of time. i'd also done a fair amount of browsing and messing around post-update including with hypii's conniption ongoing without this consistent crashing problem. when it started happening in earnest last night all i'd done was spam click the stop button on hypii for another minute or so just to see if it'd shut up, install a few backgrounds i'd forgotten about, play a music file, adjust some sound settings, and look at a couple of zones without even navigating to any pages. i'm on fumes trying to recreate the scene leading in because there wasn't a scene leading in, this started within 10-15 minutes of playing.

unfortunately there's really no obvious series of steps or circumstances preceding the state it's in now which is crashing within 10-15 seconds of the game proper starting up after loading the save. i did mess with other parameters pretty extremely like hypnocoin but given the easter eggs attached to that and it just being a damned number i can't imagine it or any other element of that app would be part of the impact leading to the crash loop. everything else specific to my save beyond concrete progress is just files on the system or ordinary browsing, i don't have any exotic stuff running and besides hypii none of that persists across launches of the save anyway as far as i can tell, and i have no viruses active. so it's crashing out of a pretty benign and calm state.

edit: well i guess axxelerator or whatever persists between launches which i had turned on to see if it would disable that persistent hanging effect back before this problem, but i just now swept in and turned it off asap and logged out which saved that state successfully but it still crashes within 10-15 seconds of loading the save i'm on so that wasn't it or if it was, disabling the service after the fact doesn't help. it's also worth mentioning that after loading the save, the game will crash to the switch os consistently even if you immediately log off back to the wider file select screen. launching hypnospace outlaw from scratch and loading a new save keeps the game running fine. it's definitely specific to the save i've been playing through the game on.

edit 2: okay after checking my discord history and getting my friend to look at the game i can confidently say the first crash i talk about above did happen during the glitched effect of a netsettler page (specifically the double witness content) so there's that.

Thanks for the info! I'm sharing it with the team now, hopefully we can nail this down. Could you check if you have the Soundscape Generator app and if it's switched to "on" when you open it? (It stays on even if you close it if the switch is flipped.) That one has caused us a few problems.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i did have it on, although switching it off and now having that saved hasn't stopped the crash from continuing to happen

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Violen posted:

i did have it on, although switching it off and now having that saved hasn't stopped the crash from continuing to happen

Yeah, it won't fix it or anything to turn it off now. We're 90% sure that it being on when a certain event hits causes the crash. It seems to be crashing seconds before the game flips all of the final act variables, telling the game it's OK to continue with the progression. The damage is already done.

There may be a way to fix your save by plugging a mouse/keyboard into your Switch dock and accessing the console to type a few commands, but I'll have to ask our coder. It's probably going to be more of a pain than starting a new game by following a walkthrough and keeping the Soundscape app off. :/

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
yeah i mean the nature of this game is such that hours upon hours of flavor on a first pass can be subbed out for 15 minutes or whatever with a walkthrough on a second pass lol, getting back to where i was isn't something i'm worried about and it's not like i had some chaotic body of content i was meaning to get around to that i won't remember how to get back to or anything.

it's more about crossing my fingers for you guys finally being able to quash this bug because something that nasty can't be a fun shadow to have hanging over a release, rare or not

wishing you all the luck

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I was gifted this game for my birthday by someone who said it was up my alley. I played for three hours and bought it for two of my friends because of how bowled over I was, played for three more and bought it for another, and now that I've finished it I know what I'm getting the rest of my friend group for Christmas this year.

I'm finding it hard to put into words how absolutely wondrous an experience this was. I actually archive old websites as a hobby, mostly ones I remember from my childhood, and I don't think I've ever managed to play a game that successfully understands what I truly miss from the old internet and what I'm always trying to seek out. This game isn't cynical and it isn't surface-level. It cares so deeply about the humanity that used to be on display with everything from weird art projects to news sites to monstrous lairs of incompetence and creativity, and the fan-sites...god, the fan sites. There were people out there, once. This game respects that in its very being. I get that "haha look at how funny the old internet was, look it's Geocities!" is a good selling point for people but it undersells so hard what makes this game special.

I think a lot of games that try to do part of what this one did (even ones I really like like Secret Little Haven) just barely miss the mark in understanding the deep thrill of the hunt that this one nails. It's not all funny gifs and flashing colors and "let's make this page look super ugly", it's an extension of one's personality brought forth via simple web design, its own level of environmental storytelling that is just magnificently handled here.

The sites that got me the most were The Observer and the page for the girl with the hyper-religious parents. They hit home for me, with The Observer bringing me right back to Antagonist back on AOL and later David Wonn's Unique Video Game Glitches, and the SquisherZ fan's page feeling almost word-for-word like an old Team Rocket fanpage on Angelfire I used to visit with my friends. I actually found myself in some of the earlier hours just genuinely forgetting that I was playing a game because of how enthralling I found Hypnospace and how much personality every single aspect of it had. It felt that real.

Major spoilers but the Mindcrash and how it changed this game from being a beautiful thriving world that I lost myself in into a wasteland that served as a museum of the past was just magnificent. I remember post-Mindcrash, after realizing we were at the present day, just staring at my screen and wondering what happened to the guy who ran The Dumpster of all things, probably because of how front-page SA or i-Mockery it felt. There's this real sense of reality through all of it, a suspension of disbelief that this game demands of you that is just masterfully well-handled. To dive deep and uncover pages I didn't remember because I was too focused on solving the "Mindcrash virus" and just so happened to remember Tiff's nickname and realizing that some of these pages, like the Freelands, had info I never realized was at once melancholy and joyful. It was a really powerfully philosophical moment for me, realizing that just like in real life this world was full of people who had records of themselves out there and it was up to this tiny team of archivists to sift through it all and remember them, even just a little. I honestly could've done a whole other round of Lost and Found before the final act kicked in.

I want to write pages and pages about this game and the way it made me feel, and perhaps I will one day, but I will say that after finishing this game I opened up my notepad and started updating my own little Web 1.5 page I've been slowly working on. This game's an inspiring piece of work. Sorry to ramble about it but gently caress man, this was good. This was real good.

also realizing that chowder man was hot dad after a whole bunch of "wait is that hot dad" moments was excellent. never forget coolfest '99

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
glad to hear it! i appreciate you taking the time to share.

sadly we haven't still been able to nail down that bug up there. it is thankfully pretty rare but we still hope to address it if we can find a way to reproduce.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Sure, why not, I'll give this a shot.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Had this sitting on my wishlist for a while, finally got it on the latest Steam sale. Finished it in two days. I was surprised at how easy I found it to empathize with all these weirdos. I was happy to see Rebecca(?) winning that dang contest even if she never found out about it, and Tamara eventually finding her niche after spending her Hypnospace days desperately peddling her content to every community. I was bummed I couldn't find out what happened with every other user, but I guess that's the way of digital graveyards.
I'll admit I kinda skimmed through the whole coolpunk scene, though. Most other things I 100%'d but at that point I was tired and didn't feel like delving too deep, which is a shame since I'm sure there was some quality drama in there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's best not to delve too deep into the tragedy that was coolfest 99

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
A friend of mine made a digital watch face.

The year is hard-coded

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The future of Hypnospace... is soon.

Tune in to Hypnospace Next on April 5, to discover what's next for the Hypnospace universe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufMl2DlWX7w

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Give it to me

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
:getin:

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
I knew I stayed subscribed to this thread for a reason!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

The_Doctor posted:

Tune in to Hypnospace Next on April 5, to discover what's next for the Hypnospace universe!

gently caress yeah.

Looking forward to whatever this ends up being!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
web 2.0 baby! gimme those iframes and Flash animation.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

as an early present, the soundtrack is up on fangamer right now, can't wait to blast ready to shave

https://www.fangamer.com/products/hypnospace-outlaw-vinyl-soundtrack

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
less than an hour til debut now

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

The_Doctor posted:

Just 10 minutes now! AAAHHH!!!!!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm hype for Zane

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Have I been unknowingly participating in an ARG by following Zane on Twitter

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Both of these games look like they will kick rear end.

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, I'm excited for more early internet antics and an early 2000s edgelord shooter!

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

got the vinyl yesterday, excited for the next jay tholen album disguised as a good video game :)
congrats on the announcement yall and good luck on the launch!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hell yeah Netscape internet

I'm also excited to see a hypnospace boomer shooter

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
If I recall correctly, "Dream settler" was the name of the Sleeptime browser that pre-dated Hypnospace. I figured if they were going to make a sequel, they would use CyberWorldZ. I'm sure it will all make sense when the game comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Tombot posted:

If I recall correctly, "Dream settler" was the name of the Sleeptime browser that pre-dated Hypnospace. I figured if they were going to make a sequel, they would use CyberWorldZ. I'm sure it will all make sense when the game comes out.

Netsettler was Merchantsoft's original product, which was not sleeptime-related and then obsoleted by HypnoOS