Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Annath posted:

Is there any explanation for these cloaked worm-faced creatures wandering around Altus Plateau inflicting Deathblight on me?

they are those mind parasites from popular show Rick and Morty, Dan Harmon was also a collaborator on Elden Ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Annath posted:

Is there any explanation for these cloaked worm-faced creatures wandering around Altus Plateau inflicting Deathblight on me?

boloney posted:

I don't think so, I asked the same question earlier and nobody responded lol

I don't know if there's anything specific but they're close to other creatures that inflict deathblight, and most of the things that inflict deathblight are linked back to Godwyn, the Prince of the Dead, whose corpse has basically fused with the Erdtree's roots. In fact there's a pool of water in Altus almost directly above where you find Godwyn's corpse underground that has a bunch of crabs that all have Godwyn's face on their shells and that also inflict deathblight.

My guess is that the closer you get to the Erdtree, the closer you also get to the source of deathblight.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

boloney posted:

I don't think so, I asked the same question earlier and nobody responded lol

they're in the same "who knows" category as fingercreepers

given the stitch marks throughout the rest of the game, it's probably not out of the ordinary that there's a bunch of genuinely unexplained stuff due to cut content ala the profaned flame in DS3

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Cowcaster posted:

i don't know if it goes against the grain of "no summons no ashes no whatever" honorable combat or not but i'm sure more than one person has beaten malenia at this point at soul level 1, it'd be pretty easy to take a look at how they deal with waterfowl dance and just: do that

i think the complaint is that the way you deal with it is when you know it's coming (about 60% health and 25% health) you have to get to mid distance and kinda wait for her to do it so you have enough space to run away from the first flurry, which is a different approach than most other bosses

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Vermain posted:

conversely, that's precisely why i appreciate his essays, because he's coming at the games i love from a totally alien perspective

i will pretty merrily beat my head against a difficult encounter in any game because i find the experience of coming to the solution of a problem engaging in and of itself, and i deeply enjoy gaining mastery of a system and improving my mechanical skill, so it's novel to hear about what someone who's the diametric opposite of that liked/disliked about the experience

I get frustrated when people make like a 2 hour video about FromSoft games and don't talk about what is one of the biggest reasons they are so awesome - how creative and experimental they are. The games all have a lot of similarities but they still do wacky poo poo that no other big budget game would, and that's why I love them. How you talk about them for like 700 hours without saying 'this game is awesome because it's completely bugfuck insane' is incomprehensible to me

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i don't know if it goes against the grain of "no summons no ashes no whatever" honorable combat or not but i'm sure more than one person has beaten malenia at this point at soul level 1, it'd be pretty easy to take a look at how they deal with waterfowl dance and just: do that

Yeah I know how to avoid it, but having to be in a position where I can avoid it for the entire fight makes it suck. Like fighting Sword Saint is this intense rewarding back and forth where you want to use every micro opening to get in another punish, Malenia is 'don't you even think about it, you'll know what I do if you think you can hit me more than once'

I don't have a barricade shield, a 100 guard boost shield or the stats to use it if I did and I don't want to play an entirely different character to survive one move

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Vermain posted:

given the stitch marks throughout the rest of the game, it's probably not out of the ordinary that there's a bunch of genuinely unexplained stuff due to cut content ala the profaned flame in DS3

stitch marks? to me this is the first Souls game since the first one that feels like they got pretty close to their original vision. Yeah some things got cut but the world and vision holds together in a way they didn't manage in DS2 or DS3

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Harrow posted:

I don't know if there's anything specific but they're close to other creatures that inflict deathblight, and most of the things that inflict deathblight are linked back to Godwyn, the Prince of the Dead, whose corpse has basically fused with the Erdtree's roots. In fact there's a pool of water in Altus almost directly above where you find Godwyn's corpse underground that has a bunch of crabs that all have Godwyn's face on their shells and that also inflict deathblight.

My guess is that the closer you get to the Erdtree, the closer you also get to the source of deathblight.

There's also a whole bunch of them in Crumbling Farum Azula for some reason, but nowhere else in the game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

like here's a good one with no shield, just being good at parrying
https://twitch.tv/videos/1443113128

and here's one with no parrying, just a good shield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvPVr6r7y-o

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

No Dignity posted:

Yeah I know how to avoid it, but having to be in a position where I can avoid it for the entire fight makes it suck. Like fighting Sword Saint is this intense rewarding back and forth where you want to use every micro opening to get in another punish, Malenia is 'don't you even think about it, you'll know what I do if you think you can hit me more than once'

I don't have a barricade shield, a 100 guard boost shield or the stats to use it if I did and I don't want to play an entirely different character to survive one move

Yeah this is the core of my beef with Malenia. Isshin was the best boss FromSoftware has ever designed and hesitation is defeat has been the core of most of their best battles. If you’re trying to fight her straight on hesitation is like the core of the Malenia fight and that’s fuckin lame

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

There's also a whole bunch of them in Crumbling Farum Azula for some reason, but nowhere else in the game.

Yeah the holes in my idea are that they also appear elsewhere, and that the other main deathblight creatures (basilisks) also do. Like there's an absolute shitload of basilisks in Deeproot Depths, which makes sense because it's the roots of the Erdtree and right next to Godwyn's corpse, but they also appear in places totally unrelated to that. At least with basilisks I can handwave it as just being really loving funny that they appear in the Lake of Rot and so that's why they're there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t know how you hesitate against Malenia, her regen massively punishes passive play

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
One random piece of deathblight lore is it looks like all the giants got deathblighted... how that work?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

No Dignity posted:

Waterfowl Dance just completely dominates the fight, it can be dealt with but you have to play such a cautious neutral game around her from the moment it's in play to avoid being caught out, it feels antithetical to Bloodborne and Sekiro encouraging you go get stuck in and exploit every opening you see.

:confused: exploiting every opening is how you deal with Waterfowl Dance.
you bait her into making the first move, then punish her.
if you charge in without a clear opening then she will punish you.
I was fighting her with dual heavy swords, there was never a time where I was punished for exploiting an actual opening, I was punished for committing to an attack without a real opening and leaving myself wide open.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

After getting destroyed last night by Malenia in my initial attempts, I needed a new strategy. Spells weren't enough dmg to outspeed her healing vs my mp, moonveil put me in a range far too dangerous for my ability to dodge her attacks, and dual wielding it with a magic uchi wasn't enough either. But drat it, i wasnt going to respec out of magic, so i started looking through my inventory for a way to get bigger numbers. A big disappointing thumbs down to the int scaling on alabaster lord sword, but helphens steeple got b scaling at +10 and powerstancing it with darkmoon +10 got her in 3 tries, tore through her first phase. Her second? Yeah like 3/4ths of her hp down with comet azur gently caress that I'm a mage use what my star mommy sold me. And on that Sellen note, my headcannon of her story:

With the primordial studies complete, Sellen now knows all the cool spells. She takes of her helmet. She has no need of such simple trinkets now. They pale in comparison of the powers of Comet D'Azur. Triumphantly, she teleports to Raya Lucaria, storms through the halls, "killing" her way through to Rennala's chamber. After all if you, her student, did it, surely her power will carry her through. Readying her staff, equipping her strongest spells, she enters Rennala's chamber. "Haha, gently caress yeah!!" Rennala goes up in the golden shield. Sellen begins casting at her. It does nothing. The children begin to swarm. Sellen "What? What the gently caress whyyyy" Children are now swarming over her, her spells no longer being able to hold them off. Rennala lowers herself to the now defenseless and mortally wounded Sellen. Sellen, thinking she has one more trump card: "Make me a STAR baby!"
But the rebirth was imperfect and incomplete, and Sellens mind already fractured within the star. Whomp whomp.

Edit: Oh yeah like the goon above me I never learned how to properly dodge waterfowl dance, what I DID learn early on is that it's relatively easy to keep her AI back to the wall and you can outrun the ENTIRE thing backwards so, that's how i did it.

OxMan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 4, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vermain posted:

Could be cool stuff the artists came up with that they use without much of a hook

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

like here's a good one with no shield, just being good at parrying
https://twitch.tv/videos/1443113128

and here's one with no parrying, just a good shield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvPVr6r7y-o

i'd also like to point out that both of these videos are less than 6 minutes long addressing a different conversation that i don't think anyone here was arguing but i've definitely heard elsewhere that boss fights are all grueling 20 minute endurance fests

megane
Jun 20, 2008

No Dignity posted:

I didn't say 100 guard boost. There are 100 phys resist shields everywhere; the Beast Crest Heater Shield is sitting in a box in Limgrave and takes 10 str. The Barricade AoW is dropped by the Night's Cav in Weeping Peninsula. You don't even have to put down your second katana or whatever, you can just put the shield in slot 2 and swap to it when she hovers. This isn't "build a new character," this is "put on stuff that's probably sitting in your inventory from 100 hours ago."

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think the fingercreepers are the severed hands of giants enchanted to fight the giants by the carians

all the dead giants are missing their hands

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

No Dignity posted:

I'm sorry to be harsh but people are beating Malenia at level 1. If you're not willing to change your approach then get good.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

megane posted:

I really just do not get how people are so twisted up about Waterfowl Dance. Here's how you deal with it:

• Use a shield with 100 phys resist and Barricade

That's it, you put on a loving shield and press L2 and it's incapable of doing anything to you. She hovers for like 2 entire seconds before she does it, so you don't need to time anything. You don't try to mash dodge to get out of it, because it's intentionally timed to punish you for mashing dodge, but if you want to limit her healing you can casually walk out between the volleys and she'll go flying past you. And when it's over, she sits stock still for a second so you can punish it with anything you like.

She's still really hard for other reasons, of course, but Waterfowl Dance is trivialized by just not being a dual-wield-Moonveil-and-Rivers nerd for 2.5 seconds.

Lmao look at this guy changing up his load out and adapting to various situations based on the best methods to overcome them. Haha.

Not me. I run in and summon my mimic tear and unsheathe my moonveil for the 579th time as I contemplate taking my laptop into the back yard and shooting it. Just as Miyazaki intended.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i think the fingercreepers are the severed hands of giants enchanted to fight the giants by the carians

Rykard's hand reminded me a lot of the more bejeweled disembodied hands. You see a close up of it in the cinematic of him pulling his sword out of the serpents mouth. He's got a lot of rings and too many fingers.

Also the word "blasphemy" shows up pretty prominently in the item description for that one finger weapon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol the guy in that video didn’t even get hit once

Besides the blocking

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

does anyone remember 20 years ago when there was a mass effect thread and someone did up a little graphics that was like the "mass effect discussion spiral" and all the conversation points just repeated themselves swirling down into the abyss, because if there were one for the elden ring thread there would definitely be something on there like

"i can't defeat [insert boss here] they're the worst designed bullshit from has ever made in their entire history"

"have you tried [literally any mechanic, item, or strategy alternative to the one being used]?"

"no i don't want to"

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Pyrus Malus posted:

nah I did, it's just that it's okay to use resources when you're dueling/invading even if your opponent doesn't have access to those resources. Especially if they don't.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

for invasions anything goes but if you're going to the tryhard duelist spot then the point is to tryhard duel and see how your build does on an even playing field. there are already a bunch of implicit agreements when you're dueling at liurna--don't run out of the arena, don't use estus, etc. physick belongs in that category.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

The DLC will be whatever monstrosity that really loving big one is from.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Nephthys posted:

The DLC will be whatever monstrosity that really loving big one is from.

theres a loving massive dead giant down the side of one of the cliffs at the edge of the map, its head is at the top of the cliff and legs vanish into the water

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a particularly good bow for boss cheesing? Some bosses have just been too brutal to stay in close all the time, so I've had luck with buying poison arrows from Isolated Mechant and using them to start off fights with some DOT, but it would be nice if there were bows that could do decent damage with plain arrows too; all I have is Longbow.

Also I got Rotten Stray Ashes +2 because I heard that it can proc Scarlet Rot on bosses, but I'm at Godfrey and he's just owning the dog before the proc even if I try to get in some hits to pull aggro to me instead.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Barricade Shield is a drop from a world boss that only appears at night on a certain part of the map, I legitmately never saw it and it's seems kinda ridiculous to say your approach to the fight should based around it. 'just go on Fextralife and look where everything is, idiot'

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

Given your current build you could get some good mileage out of just a little bit of Faith. The seal you get from the guy you give Deathroot to scales with your Strength, and there are some good incantations that require very little Faith to use. You can get a good suite of ranged options and utility spells with just like 15 Faith and make most of them scale with Strength using the Clawmark Seal.

Alternatively, Str/Int go pretty well together this time because they have some really cool weapon options, so investing a bit into Int will get you some new weapons you can play with. You won't do too much damage with spells without a lot of Int, though.

What are the int/str weapons to go for? I have 40 str and someone recommended getting up to 20 int/dex. I have 18 int but no weapons seem to need it really. What weapons should I try to get? Using the giant smasher 2-handed with the jumping cape, jumping-, charge- and roar-buffing talismans, with 'war cry' on. The actual warcry charged r2 does about 3x-4x the best damage I was able to get, before. The jump attacks even with the jump cape and talisman are definitely left in the dirt by comparison, but some bosses need the jump attacks because they're too fast for the charged r2. The charged r2 MELTS some bosses though. Went back to Caelid and did Sellia. Took about 3/4 of one of the sellia boss' bars off in one hit, it was ridiculous.

Also found the ? gelmir? hero's dungeon and turned back when I saw lava + chariot. No thanks!

redreader fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 4, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You have to move the boss into the dot pool I think

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

No Dignity posted:

Barricade Shield is a drop from a world boss that only appears at night on a certain part of the map, I legitmately never saw it and it's seems kinda ridiculous to say your approach to the fight should based around it. 'just go on Fextralife and look where everything is, idiot'

the guy using the shield up there never even ended up having to use barricade

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

No Dignity posted:

you're right you don't need barricade shield. I never used it either

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Barricade shield is only necessary if your shield doesn’t have 100% block, especially after it got nerfed where it’s only okay

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

although it's only fair to mention that the guy only sticks around to block the first volley, then dodges the subsequent two. i'm sure barricade would be mandatory if you wanted to sit there and just shield up for the whole thing start to finish.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

redreader posted:

What are the int/str weapons to go for? I have 40 str and someone recommended getting up to 20 int/dex. I have 18 int but no weapons seem to need it really. What weapons should I try to get?

The crystal weapons(ive found knife, sword, rotted sword, spear) are str int. Carian Knight sword too maybe? Troll greatsword, alabaster lord sword (drops from those enemies) are also str int. Radahns greatswords are also a popular lower Endurance investment option due to a built in powerstance.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think Malenia is a cool fight because she introduces a unique problem that the player needs to figure out how to solve using the mountain of tools that they’ve accumulated over the course of the game. It had me experimenting with different shields, different combinations of talisman, ashes of war and buffs in a way no other boss did. There is so much experimentation you can do aside from respeccing.

And if she’s too much to handle, so what? she’s a completely optional secret boss hidden in the furthest corner of the world behind like a dozen layers of other secrets and high-end challenges

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

redreader posted:

What are the int/str weapons to go for? I have 40 str and someone recommended getting up to 20 int/dex. I have 18 int but no weapons seem to need it really. What weapons should I try to get? Using the giant smasher 2-handed with the jumping cape, jumping-, charge- and roar-buffing talismans, with 'war cry' on. The actual warcry charged r2 does about 3x-4x the best damage I was able to get, before. The jump attacks even with the jump cape and talisman are definitely left in the dirt by comparison, but some bosses need the jump attacks because they're too fast for the charged r2. The charged r2 MELTS some bosses though. Went back to Caelid and did Sellia. Took about 3/4 of one of the sellia boss' bars off in one hit, it was ridiculous.

Also found the ? gelmir? hero's dungeon and turned back when I saw lava + chariot. No thanks!

Starscourge greatswords. Bonkers strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I kinda want to try Dark Souls 1.0, like, the version that shipped on the physical DVD, in a PS3 emulator at some point because the meta and balance and such was pretty crazy on release apparently

Like that video about Iron Flesh being completely OP for instance