Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

lol, a single day after the NYT article I posted https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/03/briefing/climate-optimism-ukraine-week-ahead.html

Someone thinks we could use a cheering up apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
very funny to literally say "it's not the end of the world, doomers. it's just going to get progressively worse in the very near future and we've shown absolutely no signs we're seriously going to stop doing anything that causes it, but that doesn't mean there's no hope."

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
today might be bad, but look on the bright side: it's better than tomorrow

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
they want to cut down 10 acres of forest near my house that is classified as a rainforest due to the amount of rain it gets (>100 inches a year). i am sort of resigned to the fact that capitalism is going to win and it's insanely depressing

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

carbon capture: about as viable a solution as trying to put a fart back into a butt

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

God Hole posted:

carbon capture: about as viable a solution as trying to put a fart back into a butt

what if we captured the carbon in our own mouths, somehow?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm already eating as many carbs as I can.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
liberals loving love toxic positivity

you doomers are the real problem!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
sure, human beings are notoriously bad at dealing with issues that get imperceptibly worse in the short term but have drastic long terms consequences and massive momentum. also they're bad at dealing with things that don't have an obvious cause/effect relationship which can be directly observed by individuals, and which have low probabilities of occurring for any given individual and only become significant in aggregate. and sure the globally dominant socio-economic system is geared towards exponential growth at all costs and maximizing externalities to offload costs, and will destroy any individual entity which doesn't operate in this way

and sure covid which operates on a far shorter timescale and has far more direct cause/relationship and can be observed directly by individuals and where mitigations measure have relatively minor economic cost in the short term was dealt in a way which was an abject failure by just about every conceivable metric

but we've got to be optimistic!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
human industrial civilization is just a big, complicated slime-mold

there is no executive. there are no breaks. we are a stochastically deterministic bottleneck event and gigadeath is baked in. all you can do is watch

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I think therfore most living things am

- SniperWoreConverse, 2022

This is it, the zenith of my philosophical powers.

"seems like there's maybe things existing, anybody else notice this yet?"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Global Optimism: We are Stubborn Optimists choosing to build a better future together.

Hmm

quote:

Today companies like Amazon, Verizon, PepsiCo, Best Buy, Visa, Reckitt Benckiser (RB), Microsoft, Unilever, Uber and many more have joined The Climate Pledge, committing to the bold goal of net zero carbon by 2040—ten years earlier than specified by the Paris Agreement.

Joining the Pledge means committing to three principal areas of action: Regular Reporting, Carbon Elimination and Credible Carbon Removals, and working to develop investable pathways to speed up carbon reductions and the resilience of societies at the same time.

Hmm

quote:

In 2008 and 2009 Figueres collaborated with private sector companies that aligned themselves with climate friendly goals. Figueres served as Senior Adviser to C-Quest Capital, a carbon finance company focusing on programmatic CDM investments. She was the Principal Climate Change Advisor to ENDESA Latinoamérica, the largest private utility in Latin America with operations in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia and Peru. She was also Vice Chair of the Rating Committee of the Carbon Rating Agency, the first entity to apply credit rating expertise to carbon assets.

Hmm

quote:

One of the most important and controversial sessions at TED Countdown was one I was tasked with moderating. The panellists included climate justice activist Lauren MacDonald, a courageous young woman who passionately voiced how many in her generation feel about the current pace of action to counter the climate crisis. The panel also included Shell CEO, Ben van Beurden as well as ‘active investor’ Chris James, who founded Engine No 1, which led the process of changing Exxon Mobil’s Board of Directors to include climate-savvy members earlier this year.

The atmosphere in the room was electric. Nobody was left unmoved when Lauren abruptly left the stage in visible pain. There could have been an audience stampede to judgement, in one direction or the other. But that divide does not move us forward. I invited everyone to breathe and take a moment to look deeply into their own pain about the losses we have already incurred and continue to inflict, acknowledging that personal vulnerability opens a space of shared sensitivity and possibility. The second step is then to acknowledge that we all deal differently with that pain.

I get it now: the truth is in the middle!

quote:

There are many theories of change; many ways of engaging on the climate crisis. There is not only a space for those differences, there’s a need for them.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Too long couldn't breathe

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

sure, human beings are notoriously bad at dealing with issues that get imperceptibly worse in the short term but have drastic long terms consequences and massive momentum. also they're bad at dealing with things that don't have an obvious cause/effect relationship which can be directly observed by individuals, and which have low probabilities of occurring for any given individual and only become significant in aggregate. and sure the globally dominant socio-economic system is geared towards exponential growth at all costs and maximizing externalities to offload costs, and will destroy any individual entity which doesn't operate in this way

and sure covid which operates on a far shorter timescale and has far more direct cause/relationship and can be observed directly by individuals and where mitigations measure have relatively minor economic cost in the short term was dealt in a way which was an abject failure by just about every conceivable metric

but we've got to be optimistic!

yeah on the short term things are gonna be fine. i'm sure someone will figure it out eventually

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

The Protagonist posted:

human industrial civilization is just a big, complicated slime-mold

there is no executive. there are no breaks. we are a stochastically deterministic bottleneck event and gigadeath is baked in. all you can do is watch

Im pretty sure we are approaching a teradeath or even a petadeath.

Wheat crops failed again this year due to lack of agua.

hurrah!

The Big Hungry is comin! Aint nobody tryin to stop it all they will do is fund more cops and more troops forever.

Fight hunger with GUNS

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
on the bright side big agribuisness is gonna rake in billions of extra profit as they're able to gouge on foodstuffs due to supply shortages

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

The Vinja Ninja posted:

The Big Hungry is comin! Aint nobody tryin to stop it all they will do is fund more cops and more troops forever.

Fight hunger with GUNS

Yea friend, that is absolutely the plan of anyone in power young enough to even think about the topic. Keep power, keep a monopoly on violence, keep resources and push scarcity off on the vulnerable. The provided-for group will keep shrinking and newest starving group will be demonized.

And I see no reason it won't work.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Not Alex posted:

keep a monopoly on violence

Oh yeah, I'm sure anarchism would solve climate change. Did you just graduate high school?

klingon
Oct 8, 2016

Fame Douglas posted:

Oh yeah, I'm sure anarchism would solve climate change. Did you just graduate high school?

He's talking about access to food, not carbon emissions.

My neighbors claw at the walls of the Amazon Prime Fortress begging for enough food to feed their starving families. I push past them and pull a rifle from beneath my coat. "You guys better have this. I don't want the place descending into anarchy."

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Fame Douglas posted:

you don't have to ask that question, you're not a mod

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Stereotype posted:

they want to cut down 10 acres of forest near my house that is classified as a rainforest due to the amount of rain it gets (>100 inches a year). i am sort of resigned to the fact that capitalism is going to win and it's insanely depressing

look on the bright side, it won't be 100 acres until next year

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

im currently involved in a project to convert 30,000+ acres of legacy mining & logging land (150+ years of extraction) to recreation and conservation instead of subdivision and development and I swear to god my loving lungs hurt from holding my breath for the past two years. this fucker better get across the line

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Spime Wrangler posted:

im currently involved in a project to convert 30,000+ acres of legacy mining & logging land (150+ years of extraction) to recreation and conservation instead of subdivision and development and I swear to god my loving lungs hurt from holding my breath for the past two years. this fucker better get across the line

why do you hate affordable housing

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
contrasting the death peddlers, the end of ice guy pretty much concluded that to succeed we must kill the batman hope and learn to accept reality

so yeah it’s a p good book but uhh

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Keep the dream of 1.5 alive everyone, if you stop believing in it the temperature will rise

ah so it's like bitcoin is it :regd09::pipe:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Pretty sure all the books do that because otherwise they'd be unpublishable

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

krispykremessuck posted:

to succeed, we must kill hope and learn to accept reality

:hmmyes:

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
being mass extinctionpilled rules cuz it's win-win: either i've been right for the last 15 years and will get to rub it in for the rest of my life, or we've all been wrong and we'll get to see some kinda unprecedented world wide change (lol it's the first one)

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

mark immune posted:

being mass extinctionpilled rules cuz it's win-win: either i've been right for the last 15 years and will get to rub it in for the rest of my life, or we've all been wrong and we'll get to see some kinda unprecedented world wide change (lol it's the first one)

It's this except for the rubbing it in part because I think you know that the relevant people will never accept your framing and will say something contrarian like we didn't burn the world fast enough.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

somebody needs to link the second TikToker to this thread

lol

https://twitter.com/ZahraBiabani/status/1511006524407169024?s=20&t=jy2yJmnaBB-Csw4AwgiVVA

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

lol lmao.

1.5C is inevitable right?

All these people are hosed probably before we even get there, but definitely hosed after. I guess if "avoiding worst consequences" is restricted to only protecting the wealthier white people living in the exploiting countries, then sure, maaaaybe.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
nobody can tell how much warming we've already locked in as long as we press our eyes closed as hard as we can and shout nananananana when anyone tries to read the most fundamental analysis like i.e.

"the last time the atmospheric CO₂ amounts were this high was more than 3 million years ago, when temperature was 2°–3°C (3.6°–5.4°F) higher than during the pre-industrial era, and sea level was 15–25 meters (50–80 feet) higher than today."

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

TehSaurus posted:

It's this except for the rubbing it in part because I think you know that the relevant people will never accept your framing and will say something contrarian like we didn't burn the world fast enough.

100%, it's just about the internal lols i'll have when i'm baking to death in an arizona work camp

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The hope for climate class consciousness is dying.

Climate Posadism struggles to be born.

Now is the time of lol, lmao.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Non doomerism about the climate is actually just toxic positivity.

Dont @ me

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The planet would be fine and quite pleasant if we just eliminated all the humans. Really nice place.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pryor on Fire posted:

The planet would be fine and quite pleasant if we just eliminated all the humans. Really nice place.

We're doing our best.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

endlessmonotony posted:

The hope for climate class consciousness is dying.

Climate Posadism struggles to be born.

Now is the time of lol, lmao.

the space comrades will rightly supervise our containment and destruction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

mark immune posted:

oh, we're gonna see some kinda unprecedented change alright