Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they got cyber bullied into editing the Grand Inquisitor and needed a couple more days? Like what happened with sonic? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I really don't get the hate over the inquisitor design. Unless I'm missing something he just looks a bit wider? I'm not expecting someone to look like they leapt out of the rebels character design.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think it's because the Rebels design was based off of what the Pau'ans looked like in Revenge of the Sith, and this wider-faced look just doesn't really match the established design philosophy of the species.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Kingtheninja posted:

I really don't get the hate over the inquisitor design. Unless I'm missing something he just looks a bit wider? I'm not expecting someone to look like they leapt out of the rebels character design.

It's probably more that they already had someone of his species in the movies so the look is already established.

I don't care but I understand why people have commented on it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm curious about the evolutionary pressures that result in corduroy face

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
edit: rofl I only just now noticed, like a full day later, that this was the Star Wars thread

Watched the TNG Lower Decks episode (S7E15) last night and there were like 4 moments where I just couldn't help but appreciate the great writing and the story arcs being referenced. The scandal at the Academy where the guy died, the parallels between Riker and the young guy, the side plot with the lady and her boyfriend possibly cheating on her, the Cardassian spy that only half of the characters knew about but couldn't tell the others... the one character getting what he wanted but in the worst way possible...

Then as the episode ended, I remembered that JJ Trek exists. It was a rollercoaster of emotion. That's the power of math!

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 1, 2022

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
To be fair that actor (Flying Man in Mad Max, Train Man in Matrix, Mouth of Sauron in LotR) famously has a long thin head and they can supplement that further with prosthetics, and I think limiting your actor choices to similarly long men might be more than they'd like.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Szmitten posted:

To be fair that actor (Flying Man in Mad Max, Train Man in Matrix, Mouth of Sauron in LotR) famously has a long thin head and they can supplement that further with prosthetics, and I think limiting your actor choices to similarly long men might be more than they'd like.

It's kind of funny that they went the opposite direction and went for someone with a comparatively wide head and face, as they go. Again I've not seen rebels so I'm not too fussed and I'll judge the character and the acting on merit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Our people have oval heads, that's the only rule. Any orientation in space is acceptable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Szmitten posted:

The collar design also helps exaggerate the shape of his face which is something they can't really do for the Grand Inquisitor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You’ve also underestimated the Star Wars fan penchant for complaining about Disney-era things that are generally fine.

See also; live-action Cad Bane

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"How dare live-action not look 1:1 with either a completely different character or its animated appearance" is such a weird hill for people to die on

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

"How dare live-action not look 1:1 with either a completely different character or its animated appearance" is such a weird hill for people to die on

I agree. But, then again, here we are.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The biggest own if that complaint was when they 'shopped the original live action characters like Dooku to look like their animated versions.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

The biggest own if that complaint was when they 'shopped the original live action characters like Dooku to look like their animated versions.

Expectation:

Reality:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's still funny that the Inquisitor looks like someone's uncle though.

edit: you know drat well that this Inquisitor's Twitter avatar is a photo of him wearing Oakleys while in his truck.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

Expectation:

Reality:

The first two are hilarious.

The Mace Windu one has...not great implications.

But the Obi-Wan one is really close. The beard is just a sharper.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The others look fine IMO but I’m not sure why they made Dooku’s head look so squashed in the cartoon

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They were using the Tartakovsky series as a jumping off point for the designs, so it's just the result of taking ideas that work in 2D, then trying to make them work in 3D.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gonz posted:

Vader is never gonna let anybody have the high ground on anyone ever again, i'd imagine.

Why do you think he got remade so much taller?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Owlbear Camus posted:

Not really. To be fair, the only live-action character appearances people are complaining about are alien characters that were originally introduced in the animated series, AND ones that were based on alien designs that already appeared in the movies. So I see their point, but I'm not going to cry or die on a hill complaining about it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The inquisitor dude is just too round that it makes him look like a bowling ball head and it looks goofy

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Making up arguments that no-one made to ridicule their position is also weird

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Sash! posted:

The inquisitor dude is just too round that it makes him look like a bowling ball head and it looks goofy

Yea he looks dumb sorry

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

I only just now noticed that this is the Star Wars thread. rofl what is wrong with me

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Love Stole the Day posted:

I only just now noticed that this is the Star Wars thread. rofl what is wrong with me
I had to check that the thread titles weren't switched for today

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Butterfly Valley posted:

Making up arguments that no-one made to ridicule their position is also weird

No no, there's plenty of people online who have held that position. It's only silly because it was the species appearance in live action first.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's probalby just the Live Action > Cartoon > Live Action (but different) thing, since I haven't seen too many people complaining about the Pykes looking significantly different from the cartoon, and they were never featured in live action before. Though maybe having them introduced with small helmeted heads first in Solo, and then unmasking them in BoBF helped to ease people into the new design.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Roomate is watching Rebels and I came in near the end to be reminded of the awful state of Kanan's haircut at the end. Dude really looks like someone that hangs around the gas station for fun

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nobody looks very good after a Mauling

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Nobody looks very good after a Mauling

:drat:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

It's understandable, Trek is sadly trying to copy Wars these days.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Just Chamber posted:

Yea he looks dumb sorry

Yeah, it isn't like "it isn't PERFECTLY like the cartoon." His head is so perfectly spherical.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I didn’t even think anything of it and actually enjoyed the post. :shrug:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Reminder that the new Lego Star Wars game at long last comes out tomorrow, reviews seem to be pretty positive so far

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Reminder that the new Lego Star Wars game at long last comes out tomorrow, reviews seem to be pretty positive so far

Dammit I’m only halfway through my second play through of Fallen Order and am really into it. :argh:

Oh well, time to put it on pause.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Do the Dathomir sidequest first if it's your second playthrough. It's really fun to plow through the rest of the game with the two-bladed saber.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I was worried at first that they were just sticking the other LEGO Star Wars games together, adding the Sequel Trilogy on (...they didn't already make a ST LEGO game, right?), and calling it a day. But they appear to have added a ton of features, changed up combat, added character classes, hub worlds, and just a ton of poo poo. It's an entirely different game. I may have to pick it up, it looks pretty sweet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I was worried at first that they were just sticking the other LEGO Star Wars games together, adding the Sequel Trilogy on (...they didn't already make a ST LEGO game, right?), and calling it a day. But they appear to have added a ton of features, changed up combat, added character classes, hub worlds, and just a ton of poo poo. It's an entirely different game. I may have to pick it up, it looks pretty sweet.

Yeah from what I’ve heard, TPM through TFA have been almost completely remade from scratch as opposed to just being ports of the existing games.

And yes, they did make a Lego The Force Awakens a while back (it was actually pretty good in my opinion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Larryb posted:

Yeah from what I’ve heard, TPM through TFA have been almost completely remade from scratch as opposed to just being ports of the existing games.

And yes, they did make a Lego The Force Awakens a while back (it was actually pretty good in my opinion)

Ah, I didn't play TFA one. Only one I didn't.

I like most of the LEGO games. They're a fun mindless distraction. The LEGO Indiana Jones was the first game I ever got 100% of the achievements for on the XBox (because they're also pretty easy). The only one I ever got bored of and stopped playing was Harry Potter.