Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Invalid Validation posted:

Worst change they made was making mat an irredeemable thief instead of a rapscallion.

"Irredeemable" is a pretty harsh proclamation considering what all we actually see is:
Tried making money with his dice, failed, and swiped the bracelet after that didn't work. Used the money to bring some joy to his sisters, who he later risks his life for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

After Jaime Lannister I’m not sure we can toss around that word anymore

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

God, Elayne has got to be the most stubborn and bull-headed woman in this entire series. And that's saying something. Just got to her having her guards carry her around atop her royal bed about the capitol to avoid her oath to stay in bed.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Nitrousoxide posted:

God, Elayne has got to be the most stubborn and bull-headed woman in this entire series. And that's saying something. Just got to her having her guards carry her around atop her royal bed about the capitol to avoid her oath to stay in bed.

Dyelin should have been queen.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nitrousoxide posted:

That's probably something that would occur to every single aes sedai.

I'm not saying you're wrong, though...

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Spek posted:

There's a few. One right after Dragonmount, where he makes the apple orchard bloom.

My favorite one is where he is like in Bandar Eben and all the food is bad and he's like "actually try the next bag it turns out only bags you've opened so far are rotten and everything alse is like A+++ quality, everyone was just only checking rotten containers"

essentially the explain it that all the rot was TDO putting his hand on the scale and this was all a balancing now that Rand was in a good place

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I liked the Great Trees growing when they all sign the treaty, as though the land itself is saying "yes, this is good, this is right"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

"Irredeemable" is a pretty harsh proclamation considering what all we actually see is:
Tried making money with his dice, failed, and swiped the bracelet after that didn't work. Used the money to bring some joy to his sisters, who he later risks his life for.

Ok maybe not irredeemable but more of a piece of poo poo rather than a shitstirer prankster.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Release the badger on the village green Rafe you coward

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Fauxshiz posted:

Dyelin should have been queen.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I liked the Great Trees growing when they all sign the treaty, as though the land itself is saying "yes, this is good, this is right"

So then is what Rand was doing the same as the Songs of Growing from the AoL? From the wiki:

The Song of Growing were sang during a special event called Seed Singing during the Age of Legends to help plants grow fast and healthy. Da'shain Aiel sang the Song with Ogier together. It is unclear whether other townspeople sang it with them or not. It is also unclear whether the Nym of the field was singing too, but the threads of the songs were braided together and the Nym wove them into the soil and seeds with his dance using with the One Power.

And is this the same song that would bring harmony to the world that the Tuatha'an are looking for?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Nevermind, I found the answer!

INTERVIEW: 2013

Twitter 2013 (WoT) (Verbatim)

JAY FONSECA (23 JANUARY 2013)

So I always wondered... what ever happened to the Tinkers' song? Did I miss a resolution to that arc?

BRANDON SANDERSON (23 JANUARY 2013)

By specific instruction from RJ, the Tinkers have not found their song as of the end of A Memory of Light.

BRANDON SANDERSON

The song of growing is not their "Song." The Song is a much more deep and philosophical concept, perhaps unattainable.

TJ

Do you imagine that Rand teaches "the song" to the Tu'athan after the events of A Memory of Light?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Rand does not know The Song. Anything he'd try to teach them, they would not accept as The Song.

AARON OSTER

Wait, are you saying Rand's song that Mat recognized wasn't the Tinkers' song?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The Tinker "Song" is an ideal that goes far beyond any song that has actually ever existed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You could view The Song as similar to the concept of Nirvana or something, I guess. It's the Tinkers' Paradise.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Speaking of obscure WoT lore, in a recent live stream Brandon Sanderson said on the 10th anniversary of A Memory of Light; on January 8th 2023, he’s been given permission by Harriet and Maria to reveal an ancient Wheel of Time secret.

Some online speculation suggests maybe this might be the identity and significance of Nakomi.

It’s in this video here when he’s talking to Matt Hatch from the Dusty Wheel.

https://youtu.be/pPj6VRnl3og (21 minutes in)

Hexel fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 2, 2022

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Yeah I don't think "The Song" that the Tinkers are searching for is something that ever actually existed. It's something that's extrapolated and exaggerated from stories that were generations old and already becoming legend when the Tinkers broke away from the Aiel. Their grandparents would tell them about a time before they themselves were alive when the world was beautiful, and there was no war, and the Aiel would gather in huge circles and sing magical songs that brought communities together and made things grow, but nobody has sung those songs for more than a lifetime or even remembers them. Thousands of years later and all that's left of even that is this vague notion of a lost Song that will heal the world and redeem them as a people, if they can ever find it again.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hexel posted:

Nevermind, I found the answer!

INTERVIEW: 2013

Twitter 2013 (WoT) (Verbatim)

JAY FONSECA (23 JANUARY 2013)

So I always wondered... what ever happened to the Tinkers' song? Did I miss a resolution to that arc?

BRANDON SANDERSON (23 JANUARY 2013)

By specific instruction from RJ, the Tinkers have not found their song as of the end of A Memory of Light.

BRANDON SANDERSON

The song of growing is not their "Song." The Song is a much more deep and philosophical concept, perhaps unattainable.

TJ

Do you imagine that Rand teaches "the song" to the Tu'athan after the events of A Memory of Light?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Rand does not know The Song. Anything he'd try to teach them, they would not accept as The Song.

AARON OSTER

Wait, are you saying Rand's song that Mat recognized wasn't the Tinkers' song?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The Tinker "Song" is an ideal that goes far beyond any song that has actually ever existed.

Well poo poo. I always assumed it was the Song of Growing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

rocketrobot posted:

And given how Rand's song is just some song he knew growing up suggests that the Song of Growing isn't a specific song. That the singing is more of a focus for the actual growing magic.

Hexel posted:

Some online speculation suggests maybe this might be the identity and significance of Nakomi.

That would be neat. I do like all the theory crafting about Nakomi but it would be nice for a definitive answer.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainFortea posted:

That would be neat. I do like all the theory crafting about Nakomi but it would be nice for a definitive answer.

Apparently he told Matt Hatch this secret 10 years ago in order to be his time capsule so people can’t say it’s just bullshit he’s making up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It'll be how the Asha'man knew to come to Dumai's Wells, and it'll be "oh, James Deegan went to talk to Rand and he wasn't there, so he heard about a massive armed party moving in haste and put two and two together"

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Thinking more on it though, it would be interesting to know what a Tinker would see if they went to Ruidean and entered the glass columns...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

St0rmD posted:

Thinking more on it though, it would be interesting to know what a Tinker would see if they went to Ruidean and entered the glass columns...

Well, it depends on bloodlines, so only those who can trace that back to the original Aiel would potentially find the song. Since they are open to recruits those wouldn't necessarily see anything related to the song.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

St0rmD posted:

Yeah I don't think "The Song" that the Tinkers are searching for is something that ever actually existed. It's something that's extrapolated and exaggerated from stories that were generations old and already becoming legend when the Tinkers broke away from the Aiel. Their grandparents would tell them about a time before they themselves were alive when the world was beautiful, and there was no war, and the Aiel would gather in huge circles and sing magical songs that brought communities together and made things grow, but nobody has sung those songs for more than a lifetime or even remembers them. Thousands of years later and all that's left of even that is this vague notion of a lost Song that will heal the world and redeem them as a people, if they can ever find it again.

The Tinkers suck, so they’d definitely have this kind of conversation in the future:

-a random Andoran: “the nations live in harmony, war is a thing of the past, we sing and the land provides sustenance for everyone, and all needs are met. The majority of our time is spent in service to others. Leaders do have disagreements, but everything is solved through spirited debate and we have fantastic post-debate reconciliation feasts to ensure no hard feelings endure. You are welcome to stay for as long as you’d like, we have plenty of food and ogier designed lodging for you. You may be able to find your song here.”

-Tinker leader: “oh you lost fool, you have forgotten the way of the leaf. Only my people can heal the world if we can have enough people join us to search for the song. I cannot allow my people to stay with you one day more.”

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Just got to Perrin and Egwene bumping into eachother in Tel'aran'rhiod at the White Tower battle and Perrin just clowning on the most experienced dreamer in Aes Sedai history by stopping balefire with "It's just a weave"

This is pretty wacky but I love it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just got to Perrin and Egwene bumping into eachother in Tel'aran'rhiod at the White Tower battle and Perrin just clowning on the most experienced dreamer in Aes Sedai history by stopping balefire with "It's just a weave"

This is pretty wacky but I love it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

God Perrin woulda been so much cooler had he just embraced being master dream wolf much earlier in the books.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

lol lmao it's just a weave noobwene

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
I forgot that veins of gold was in The Gathering Storm so it was really refreshing when it came up. Almost killing Tam sucks worse in the audiobook than it does on the page.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fauxshiz posted:

I forgot that veins of gold was in The Gathering Storm so it was really refreshing when it came up. Almost killing Tam sucks worse in the audiobook than it does on the page.

His raging at Cadsuane is such a scene.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Don't forget the callback to the prologue, of fleeing from the horror in their eyes.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

silvergoose posted:

Tam is basically a saint and is the reason why Rand was able to seal the Dark One away

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So Renna, one of the three sul’dam Mat took with him from Ebou Dar, just stabbed Egeanin in Valan Lucas traveling circus and bailed out. Mat is all panicked and wanting to gather up all his hostages and aes sedai he rescued from Ebou Dar and split.

He has a chance to leave Tuon behind but he decides not to and she seems pleased about it. She’s been cooperating with him the whole time. Doesn’t she have some kind of omen or prophecy about him and that’s why she’s sticking with him?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hexel posted:

So Renna, one of the three sul’dam Mat took with him from Ebou Dar, just stabbed Egeanin in Valan Lucas traveling circus and bailed out. Mat is all panicked and wanting to gather up all his hostages and aes sedai he rescued from Ebou Dar and split.

He has a chance to leave Tuon behind but he decides not to and she seems pleased about it. She’s been cooperating with him the whole time. Doesn’t she have some kind of omen or prophecy about him and that’s why she’s sticking with him?

She will reveal why she’s sticking with him before she leaves. But the answer is yes she did get a fortelling

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You could view The Song as similar to the concept of Nirvana or something, I guess. It's the Tinkers' Paradise.

Been Randing most' our lives
Living in a Tinker's paradise

I have found the Song.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

silvergoose posted:

I really want to see that in the show. She's been lovely to everyone for so long, and this "backwater sheepherder" just shuts her down and shows absolutely no fear of her.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

seaborgium posted:

I really want to see that in the show. She's been lovely to everyone for so long, and this "backwater sheepherder" just shuts her down and shows absolutely no fear of her.

It's in her POV, too, so it's all her backing down without realizing that his calling her a bully really fuckin hurts.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

rocketrobot posted:

It probably was the song of growing, but at this point the people have turned it into a mythology that the Song of Growing isn't enough to satisfy.

Basically the original Aeil got so traumatized over such a long period that they all went in wildly different ways with their lore.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Why is Halima killing aes sedai in Egwene’s camp? Do they just randomly stumble onto something they shouldn’t see or is there something greater going on?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Let the Lord of Chaos reign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hexel posted:

Why is Halima killing aes sedai in Egwene’s camp? Do they just randomly stumble onto something they shouldn’t see or is there something greater going on?

If you're specifically talking Aes Sedai, she's murdering anyone associated with Cabriana Mecandes, the Aes Sedai that Semiraghe tortured to death and whose secretary Halima claims to be.