Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

LvK posted:

Owen "Brakkus" Hart

e: or maybe, like, Ludvig Borga.

"You call this the land of milk and honey? Well my action figure looks funny!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Has anyone done a Benoit style clothesline since Benoit? His clotheslines were unique in that they were almost like a slingblade where he never left his feet. This is a much lower intensity version compared to his WCW days but the movement is the same:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

unfortunately that was not a choice but a requirement to make it look like anything happened to people in the cheap seats because his arms were 1 foot long

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

I see either Joe Pesci with harley race hair, or Sting* sans facepaint, im sure he had a perm at some point

*Justice or Flash, I forget which was warrior

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I see Brock Samson in his younger years.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lid posted:

Has anyone done a Benoit style clothesline since Benoit? His clotheslines were unique in that they were almost like a slingblade where he never left his feet. This is a much lower intensity version compared to his WCW days but the movement is the same:

Honestly, not a fan of this kind of clothesline. It feels like he's doing to the slingblade what Erik Watts did to dropkicks. Or alternatively, trying to do a hybrid of both moves and getting the worst out of both.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Benoit's clothesline looks like an actual stiff-arm in football. He turns his body toward his opponent because that's what happens when you stiff-arm somebody running in the opposite direction. It looks believable for someone knocking down guys who are usually bigger and taller than him, and it looks great.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I know WWE and its fans frequently claim that the performers themselves come up with terrible gimmicks to cover for themselves, but the conversation about Cody in the social media thread made me wonder, was that the case with Dusty? From what I've heard over the years, it was Dusty who pitched the polka dots because he wanted to prove to Vince that he could get anything over, and presumably Vince went along with it because he thought it was humiliating and he didn't actually want Dusty in the first place. Or is this just one of the first examples of WWF making excuses for their questionable ideas?

As an aside, sure, Dusty didn't do much in WWF but he was still really over for the most part so, idk, I don't see the polka dots as the kiss of death that so many apparently do. Booking him into feuds with Savage and Dibiase and making them all about Sapphire/Sherri/Dustin was significantly worse, but like I said, it's not like Vince even wanted him so eh.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nope; the polka dots were entirely Vince's idea. Dusty just happened to be charismatic enough to not let them sink him.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Naming DiBiase's butler "Virgil" was also a Vince dig at Dusty, IIRC.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Naming DiBiase's butler "Virgil" was also a Vince dig at Dusty, IIRC.

As was making the One Man Gang "Akeem"

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Hedgehog Pie posted:

As an aside, sure, Dusty didn't do much in WWF but he was still really over for the most part so, idk, I don't see the polka dots as the kiss of death that so many apparently do. Booking him into feuds with Savage and Dibiase and making them all about Sapphire/Sherri/Dustin was significantly worse, but like I said, it's not like Vince even wanted him so eh.

The polka dots are usually shorthand for turning Dusty's blue-collar schtick into a cartoon character unclogging toilets with his butt hanging out (seriously, those vignettes are something else) and completely ignoring what he did in wrestling prior to that. Dusty had fun, but the whole thing was intended as an insult because Vince is a petty rear end in a top hat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Basically, despite Vince's deluded sense of himself as the underdog and 'little guy' standing up to The Man, those Dusty vignettes are what he actually thinks of the working class and of Dusty for having his character present himself as one of them.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I think vince thinks the working class are the working class because they never tried hard enough to be rich like him lol

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

As was making the One Man Gang "Akeem"

And then there's Reo Rodgers.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
How was Akeem a shot at Dusty?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kosmo Gallion posted:

How was Akeem a shot at Dusty?

White guy billed as The African Dream, while Dusty was the American Dream and used a lot of AAVE in his speech.

Likewise, Virgil was Dusty's real name and the wrestler named after him was portrayed by a black wrestler.

Because Vince is both petty AND racist.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The jive-talking African "Dream" white boy. Which is actually a more subtle jab. Which is why I am never entirely convinced it was Vince's idea

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Follow up note on the NOAH/Kobashi talk. Went to a Chris Hero seminar a couple months ago and he said the NOAH multi man tags were some of the easiest matches he worked.

They went hard in the big matches but took it easy in the multi man matches/house shows

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

sticklefifer posted:

White guy billed as The African Dream, while Dusty was the American Dream and used a lot of AAVE in his speech.

Likewise, Virgil was Dusty's real name and the wrestler named after him was portrayed by a black wrestler.

Virgil was the real winner here, he got to be Virgil AND Vincent AND Shane.

I'm kidding, Virgil never won at anything ever, except the time he called up WCW and undercut the Godfather's asking price and ended up in the NWO.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Best thing Virgil ever did was that time Yokozuna squashed him and he cut a promo that sounded like he was trying to warn everyone Doomsday was approaching Metropolis

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

sticklefifer posted:

What’s wild to me is these gimmicks and polka dot dusty we’re all going on at the same time like there’s at least one single SNME show where all three were on the same card.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

When AEW first started, I remember seeing they signed Mike Chioda, the old WWE referee which a quick Google tells me definitely happened. However, I just realised that I haven't seen him at all since I started watching (Punk's debut). Did he quit, just disappear, or have I just been ignoring him this whole time?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Muh-muh-muh Mike Chioda

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Chioda came in for a short storyline with Jericho. Hebner I believe was signed at the beginning of AEW but I can't recall ever seeing him on TV.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Chioda came in for a short storyline with Jericho. Hebner I believe was signed at the beginning of AEW but I can't recall ever seeing him on TV.

Unless I'm wrong Hebner officiated Cody Vs Dustin Rhodes didn't he?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
My fiancee got me into wrestling and as much as I resisted, it's actually fun to watch and yell about how awful it is at times. She's still a big Enzo fan which is "before my time" since I'm relatively new to the whole scene. After seeing how much he was loved by the crowd, I was surprised by the departure due to sexual assault allegations. Of course, it likely (and awful) was that he actually sexually assaulted some woman and got away with it. But because he made it out the other side clean, I can't help but think it was a set up by WWE management. My theory is that Enzo is such a stupid character, like absolutely pants on head insane character, that McMahon didn't want him to actually be popular. Face or heel, it didn't seem to matter the crowd ate up his promos and ring presence. The man can certainly create catch phrases out of thin air. But McMahon wanting wrestling to be a "real sport" so he could finally be seen as peers with football team owners got the best of him, he couldn't have an Enzo being the star of the show so he had to destroy Enzo with something that would stain him permanently so he couldn't take fans with him wherever he went after.

This is all conjecture after zero research and personal theorycrafting, and I would love for someone to tell me it's more complicated than Enzo did a very bad thing and had to go.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Most people get away with sexual abuse allegations. I think Enzo only fully got in trouble because he didn’t properly report it to the office. He was also very unpopular backstage to boot.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

poemdexter posted:

My fiancee got me into wrestling and as much as I resisted, it's actually fun to watch and yell about how awful it is at times. She's still a big Enzo fan which is "before my time" since I'm relatively new to the whole scene. After seeing how much he was loved by the crowd, I was surprised by the departure due to sexual assault allegations. Of course, it likely (and awful) was that he actually sexually assaulted some woman and got away with it. But because he made it out the other side clean, I can't help but think it was a set up by WWE management. My theory is that Enzo is such a stupid character, like absolutely pants on head insane character, that McMahon didn't want him to actually be popular. Face or heel, it didn't seem to matter the crowd ate up his promos and ring presence. The man can certainly create catch phrases out of thin air. But McMahon wanting wrestling to be a "real sport" so he could finally be seen as peers with football team owners got the best of him, he couldn't have an Enzo being the star of the show so he had to destroy Enzo with something that would stain him permanently so he couldn't take fans with him wherever he went after.

This is all conjecture after zero research and personal theorycrafting, and I would love for someone to tell me it's more complicated than Enzo did a very bad thing and had to go.

AFAIK Enzo was fired because he didn’t tell management about the accusation, which then blindsided the company hen they were made public. The story is complicated as I’m not sure if Enzo even knew of the accusations at the time of his release, but WWE took the chance to ditch a guy who had stalled out popularity wise, was exceedingly poor in the ring, and was hated by the locker room.

Anything more complex then the WWE ditching a headache at an opportune time when it would make them look good by pushing a “zero-tolerance policy” is probably incorrect.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

keithy george posted:

Most people get away with sexual abuse allegations. I think Enzo only fully got in trouble because he didn’t properly report it to the office. He was also very unpopular backstage to boot.

This makes sense and is also sad.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

keithy george posted:

Correct, he was disliked by the locker room generally and not letting WWE lawyers and such get ahead of him being a shitbag made it really easy to get rid of him for positive PR and not having to pay out his contract.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sadly the lesson learned from Speaking Out is that if you’re a wrestler accused of sexual assault you just deny it and you’ll most likely face zero meaningful repercussions

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Thank you for your theory that Vince McMahon faked a sexual assault because he wants WWE to be more like football.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

keithy george posted:

Yea, also apparently injury prone as well due to, if Simon Grimm/Gotch is to be believed, not being trained properly or just being real bad at the actual wrestling part of wrestling. I will say this about dude, I saw him wrestle at Zicky Dices thing and dude was super charismatic, got super yoked, and while unimpressive in ring didn't seem to be a hazard to himself or others. If he has stopped/will stop being a noted poo poo head I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up back in WWE in some wrestling capacity. I mean, they brought Warrior back after years of doing and saying some absolutely insane poo poo, and even named a humanitarian award for him.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

not saying anything gotch said about enzo was definitely not true but he did come across to me like an insanely bitter weirdo in that shoot interview

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

yea ok posted:

Thank you for your theory that Vince McMahon faked a sexual assault because he wants WWE to be more like football.

My assumption was based on thinking that people didn't get away with sexual assault often. Sadly, that doesn't reflect reality. My theory is shot, and wish all sexual predators a very gently caress off from the public eye forever.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Are you the two people who actually watched that interview and ensured it would be recommended to every wrestling fan on YouTube until the end of time?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Are you the two people who actually watched that interview and ensured it would be recommended to every wrestling fan on YouTube until the end of time?

I just readily admitted to watching "Zicky Dices Outlandish Paradise", how is it surprising that I'd watch a random shoot interview recommended to me through youtube analytics?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Enzo character is exactly the kind of character Vince loves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Davros1 posted:

The Enzo character is exactly the kind of character Vince loves.

This surprises me, but I don't really know the difference between Vince the character versus Vince the owner besides what I am told. The whole wrestling world is still very new to me and all the info I get is from fiancee who is more than willing to look the other way wrt people doing bad things as long as she likes the person/brand.