Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

GLADIATORS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Aphex- posted:

I want to be able to vote for Mike Krack as the engineer of the day

Mike Krack, Engineer of the Year

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I just finished watching Michael Mann's Manhunter which is basically a 2 hour long R-rated episode of Miami Vice and I highly recommend everyone see it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

italian quid posted:

I'm glad they put this in after completely overhauling the cars to allow them to follow more closely lol

Following isn't overtaking though. Better following does allow a better setup for a (DRS) overtake though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I thought the party line was the new regs we’re all about making it possible to FOLLOW, particularly through corners, so that drivers would then have more opportunities to pass. (This appears to have worked out)

The regs were not to allow drivers to pass, merely to put them in better positions to make that possible

But then this drs stuff, uh,

It’d be interesting to see an identical race with and without drs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My fairly nuanced point, which appears to be completely lost, is that if they're adding a second DRS tied to the first one's activation point with the intention of allowing the passing car the chance to break the car behind, that runs contrary to designing these cars to allow each other to follow more closely.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Fortunately it seems McLaren got around these issues by designing a car that isn't able to get close enough to anybody in the first place

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rectal Placenta posted:

Fortunately it seems McLaren got around these issues by designing a car that isn't able to get close enough to anybody in the first place

Mods??

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

italian quid posted:

My fairly nuanced point, which appears to be completely lost, is that if they're adding a second DRS tied to the first one's activation point with the intention of allowing the passing car the chance to break the car behind, that runs contrary to designing these cars to allow each other to follow more closely.

I understood your post, and it is correct. If they want to get rid of DRS-chicken, it seems to me the simple solution would be to move the detection out of the braking zone and into the exit, so if there's any tomfoolery you'd lose your drive onto the straight. idk if that's how all the tracks are or just these last two.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I wonder what strategies would come about from letting drivers use DRS only for a set amount of time each race.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

boop the snoot posted:

I wonder what strategies would come about from letting drivers use DRS only for a set amount of time each race.

Whatever they do in Indycar with their push to pass setup.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

net work error posted:

Whatever they do in Indycar with their push to pass setup.

It sucks rear end

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I still don't really like drs and would like to see how these cars race without it at some tracks

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
no DRS, no moveable aero bits, no flaps, no hinges. Only allow single piece parts that deform at speed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

agreed, there should be more things fans can vote on during races imo.

the quicker we get to future racing things like giant neon boost pads on the track and car's being able to shoot lazers or EMPs at each other the better

Ejection seats for Crofty and Brundle

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
DRS exists to facilitate driver movement into the corners where all the real action takes place.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

regulate drs to kill more downforce and let anyone use it at any point, or get rid of it entirely

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Full unrestricted active aero, but only if it’s really cool and makes the cars look like transformers.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Full unrestricted active aero, but only if it’s really cool and makes the cars look like transformers.

If your back wing can’t tilt so that one edge is touching a wheel then it’s not real active aero.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There is that sound up mode the race director occasionally puts in so those two have to shut the gently caress up and let us listen to the engine noises. A fan voted sound up button would permanently mute them and send one hell of a message about how universally unliked they are

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Sab0921 posted:

Absolutely uncalled for.

Mike Krack is a team principal

wikipedia posted:

Mike Krack (born 18 March 1972) is a Luxembourgish motorsports engineer.[1] He has worked at BMW Sauber F1, as the chief engineer; Porsche WEC team, as head of track engineering; and at BMW, as the Head of Engineering, Operations and Organization for Racing and Testing.[2] He has also had stints in Formula 3 and DTM.[citation needed] He is currently the Team Principal of Aston Martin Formula One Team.[3]

He can be both, at least in my heart.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

italian quid posted:

I just finished watching Michael Mann's Manhunter which is basically a 2 hour long R-rated episode of Miami Vice and I highly recommend everyone see it.

poo poo I'll download it on that review.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

no DRS, no moveable aero bits, no flaps, no hinges. Only allow single piece parts that deform at speed.

Counterpoint, DRS available at all times. It's up to the drivers to cake their pants over whether or not they dare open the flap booting it round parabolica, raidillon, maggots-becketts or 130r.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

ArmZ posted:

Mike Krack, Engineer of the Year

Lawrence Stroll: „What was your job at BMW?“
Mike Krack: „I oversaw the development of three completely overwheight racecars that could only be made competitive by BoP. We decided to make each new car bigger, and more overwheight because why not.“
Lawrence Stroll: „Please sign here, and here, and here. Welcome to the team“.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also Buxton.

Also get Button to commentate every race (ideally while pissed)

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

regulate drs to kill more downforce and let anyone use it at any point, or get rid of it entirely

the whole point of DRS was to emulate the f-duct

except the f-duct could be activated at any point, and wasn't actually a moveable aero device. so DRS missed the point both times

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bring back Double-DRS, that was a cool idea.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

there's been a disturbing lack of Australia content on YouTube et al. I need my fix!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

replace the drs with nitro, but only allow the nitro to be activated by the team principal remotely

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Yes - they need to make lots of them to be competitive.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

replace the drs with nitro, but only allow the nitro to be activated by the team principal remotely

fan boost

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Declan MacManus posted:

The team principal from another team

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Remove all body panels and mount bumpers everywhere.

You want action? I'll give you action.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

:xd:

Someone make :gunter: like :lando:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ArmZ posted:

fan boost

I agree, go back to the Brabham fan car concept

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ArmZ posted:

there's been a disturbing lack of Australia content on YouTube et al. I need my fix!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns15eHLDv1I

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Custard Undies posted:

This would be very poggers if a kind soul blessed us with this content.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Custard Undies posted:

i will get it uploaded as a treat for the thread

please make it similar size to :lando:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

net work error posted:

This would be very poggers if a kind soul blessed us with this content.

Agreed it would be nice to show our support for a fast team with some good lads.

Unlike McLaren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pragmatica posted:

i will get it uploaded as a treat for the thread

please make it similar size to :lando:

8kb acceptable?

:foksmash: