Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

So I think Im leaning towards Nightmare Reaper shouldn't let you keep any gun between rounds or given you access to keeping tier 2 guns way sooner and had more tiers of guns. I used a shotgun for 90% of the game until I got... another tier 1 shotgun but with the god perk.

Edit: I keep killing the dog and that puppy is way too drat hard to see.

For me it was funny, just when I was able to unlock the 'keep a level 2 weapon between levels' perk, I also got the mysterious npc vendor offering 370K for my 'most used weapon', which was, of course, my legendary level 1 shotgun that I had been abusing for half of Ep1 and all of Ep 2. So I sold it and on the next level I got a legendary level 2 book. It isn't as useful as my previous shotgun because ammo limitations, but it hits harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Most used weapon seems to refer to a weapon type rather than specifically the weapon you've been holding for the past 20 maps. I've switched out a Rare Hornet's Nest for a Legendary Hornet's Nest and this didn't impact the price. I might be wrong about this, though.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

haveblue posted:

That seems really excessive, did they count each flood bug as a separate kill?

Yes. I can't imagine that was fun to count. I personally wouldn't count them though, but I would count each headcrab in an HL game so v:shobon:v

david_a posted:

Doom II has 3,734 monsters on UV if summing up the Doom Wiki stats are accurate, although the kill count could be even higher given the existence of Pain Elementals, Arch-viles, and the Icon of Sin.

Sweet Jesus! I've never got through all of DII on UV, I'm too much of a wimp.

Barudak posted:

I feel it should only count enemies which are mandatory to kill in a non glitchless run

Agreed.

I'm always amazed by the final kill count whenever I complete System Shock. For a game that isn't necessarily a straight up shooter you sure do wrack up a mountain of corpses. It hovers around 650+ on the final screen tally.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

For me it was funny, just when I was able to unlock the 'keep a level 2 weapon between levels' perk, I also got the mysterious npc vendor offering 370K for my 'most used weapon', which was, of course, my legendary level 1 shotgun that I had been abusing for half of Ep1 and all of Ep 2. So I sold it and on the next level I got a legendary level 2 book. It isn't as useful as my previous shotgun because ammo limitations, but it hits harder.

The one single level I spent forcing myself to try new guns that guy showed up and offered me 2 million for the junk I was holding so I took it and that same level found my new insane overpowered never using another weapon level 1 shotgun.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

In Training posted:

THis Doom map im making has 4000 monsters and theyre all Archviles.

Did you manage to make that fun?

Barudak posted:

I feel it should only count enemies which are mandatory to kill in a non glitchless run

It looks like the kill counts are only on normal difficulty.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Sweet Jesus! I've never got through all of DII on UV, I'm too much of a wimp.

If you’re posting in this thread and you have played a bunch of FPSes, you can finish Doom II on UV I guarantee it. It’s not super hard, and if you’ve played it on HMP already you know all the tricks.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, UV was so intimidating back in the 90's, but going back to it after 20 years of using WASD makes pretty trivial work of it. Go ham, have fun.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Does anybody have any recommendations for single player half life mods? I've only ever tried USS Darkstar, the half quake series and I recently just played through poke646. Is there a decent community hub for half life modding?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I played some amazing ones back in the day. I remember one called Night at the Office which was a bit like Die Hard.

Here’s a great list

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/60pmr9/a_comprehensive_list_of_all_singleplayer/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Pointless observation: I found this youtube channel called Video Game Killcounts and because there's something wrong with my brain I've watched a few of the vids. Lots of different types of games there but the bulk of them are first person shooters, the earliest being Quake and the latest being Doom Eternal. It would seem that for a linear shooter that lasts roughly 8 to 12 hours, an enemy body count between 600 and 1000 seems to be the most common. Below that might feel sparse, and above that might feel like (lawl) overkill. I say might, because Gordon racks up a bodycount of of just under 1400 in Half-Life 2 alone (not counting Episodes), although HL2 is a bit longer than the average linear FPS. Doom Eternal goes hog at over 2600, but I'm not surprised.

Pointman from FEAR is the average, just over 600, Doom Marine in D3 almost ties with Gordon in HL2, Master Chief is right behind the Doom Slayer with 2500+ in Halo CE.

Please enjoy this useless information in an equally useless post.

Here is the channel if, like me, you have brain problems. https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameKillCounts/videos

I'm assuming Serious Sam has them all beat.

600-1000 is probably the average number per map in any given, modern Doom .wad.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

koren posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for single player half life mods? I've only ever tried USS Darkstar, the half quake series and I recently just played through poke646. Is there a decent community hub for half life modding?

THEY HUNGER

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

koren posted:

this is a good site for reviews and downloads: https://www.runthinkshootlive.com/hof-table/

just filter down to HL1 or look at this one and sort by recommendations https://www.runthinkshootlive.com/hl/

recently i played TWHL Tower 1 and 2 and those are pretty cool if you want something quick in the vein of a quake community map jam.

some classics i'd recommend:
-residual life
-someplace else
-etc 1 & 2
-half life echoes
-MINIMICUS (short, silly rats map thing)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://www.runthinkshootlive.com/posts/rum/

idk who downloaded this today but lol

im gonna play all these ancient rear end mods hell yeah

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

verbal enema posted:

https://www.runthinkshootlive.com/posts/rum/

idk who downloaded this today but lol

im gonna play all these ancient rear end mods hell yeah

the reason I'm getting a steam deck is to play ancient-rear end mods in bed :cheers:

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Thanks for all the recommendations. That runthinkshootlive site in particular was exactly what I was looking for :cheers:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the reason I'm getting a steam deck is to play ancient-rear end mods in bed :cheers:

this plus caves of qud hell yeah

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

HL1 mods remind me that Scientist Slaughterhouse Mod Mess Up sometimes makes me laugh still despite having aged poorly in more than one aspect. DRINK YOUR PRUNE JUICE

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Played the Nightmare Reaper demo it's just lo-fi Shadow Warrior 2 lol. Anyway not much of a fan and I still hate everything about the game's visuals. Hate its blocky and bloomy aesthetic. Hate the lovely procgen levels (and even then I saw two sections that were identical almost back to back.) Hate the indistinct monster blobs. Hate that every single thing explodes into coins and powerups, obfuscating a game that already looks like it was smeared with vaseline. Hate the ugly minigames.

By far its biggest success is its number and variety of weapons, though again that's all from a gameplay perspective because even those sprites are kinda meh. But they seem fun to use, was a fan of the one that gave me power-kicks, or the one that shotguns out shurikens, or the various magic books. But yeah, all told I'll be taking a pass on this game.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 4, 2022

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I played some amazing ones back in the day. I remember one called Night at the Office which was a bit like Die Hard.

Here’s a great list

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/60pmr9/a_comprehensive_list_of_all_singleplayer/

I think Night at the Office was the one where they got bored before finishing it so it's absolutely complete except all of the endings are bad endings

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nightmare Reaper Act 3 should, just like, not exist. Its awful. This game is completely out of anything by the end of act 2 (it does introduce more enemies and tile sets, but the underpinning doesn't change) and boy howdy its neat how even with a 3060 graphics card it slows down to an unplayable slideshow for me in the arena after 5 rounds. The unlock system is 2 kinds of dogshit and one good one that is only good when you turn off the minigame.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Barudak posted:

Nightmare Reaper Act 3 should, just like, not exist. Its awful. This game is completely out of anything by the end of act 2 (it does introduce more enemies and tile sets, but the underpinning doesn't change) and boy howdy its neat how even with a 3060 graphics card it slows down to an unplayable slideshow for me in the arena after 5 rounds. The unlock system is 2 kinds of dogshit and one good one that is only good when you turn off the minigame.

lol at this game making you so miserable its like it was designed just to piss you off

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LvK posted:

I think Night at the Office was the one where they got bored before finishing it so it's absolutely complete except all of the endings are bad endings

hahah i remember all the endings being really depressing but i never knew why

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The giant testicle that throw rocks is peak enemy design and I'm tired we ignore his place on the pantheon of FPS enemies. TIRED.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Nightmare Reaper reminded me of Golden Souls 2 and that reminded me that I should play some Doom mods soon-ish.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/_soupp/status/1510673706971971584

Turin Turambar posted:

The giant testicle that throw rocks is peak enemy design and I'm tired we ignore his place on the pantheon of FPS enemies. TIRED.

What do you think of the Gonarch from Half-Life?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

koren posted:

Man, USS Darkstar. I played that on my PC when I still had dial-up, and asked a friend from school to download it on their cable internet and burn it to a CD. I probably paid them with a ham sandwich for the favor--but the point is, this was WAY before I had a real understanding of "cut content". Like, I remember e-mailing somebody from Acclaim Entertainment because the manual for Turok 2 (PC) had enemies in it that weren't even in the game; their response was something to the effect of "yeah they're not in the game" and I thought it was so bizarre that a game might have things and then, you know, not have those things.

Anyway, USS Darkstar did an excellent job incorporating a bunch of Half-life's cut models: The frogs, the "birds", the fish, the Kingpin and, of course, "Mr. Friendly". I don't recall any of them actually doing anything, but let me tell you, when poo poo first hits the fan and I was creeping through the dark waiting for the Kingpin to kill me? That was a very memorable moment and, as a result, a very memorable mod.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 5, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The final boss of nightmare reaper is multi-phasal and behind an entire level of the toughest enemies in the game. In its second form you are racing against it to collect the randomly spawning health pick ups and nightmare reaper powerups. If it ever gets a nightmare reaper powerup you are boned into oblivion and probably dead.

I should also note that Im still short of the money to exit a level with a second weapon, here, at the final boss level.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Barudak posted:

I should also note that Im still short of the money to exit a level with a second weapon, here, at the final boss level.

How did you manage that? I've been buying every upgrade and I had that like two levels into Episode 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dunno if 2009 is enough to warrant "early FPS" but I went back to play Left 4 Dead 2 and it's still a load of fun. The plane crash during Dead Air still looks amazing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

source games have aged remarkably well, graphically, and nothing else has really done what l4d2 does as well as it did it. it still kicks rear end. friend me on steam and maybe we can play sometime

https://steamcommunity.com/id/simiadei

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Arc Hammer posted:

Dunno if 2009 is enough to warrant "early FPS" but I went back to play Left 4 Dead 2 and it's still a load of fun. The plane crash during Dead Air still looks amazing.

L4D2 owns

Mostly of all cuz I can play all of l4d1 in it. The superior l4d

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crowetron posted:

How did you manage that? I've been buying every upgrade and I had that like two levels into Episode 2.

Carry 2 weapons during a level =/ Carry 2 weapons into a level.

I actually wish I could turn off the extra weapon slots they're completely detrimental to me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Barudak having the most worst time in that game is powering me through work lol

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Barudak posted:

Carry 2 weapons during a level =/ Carry 2 weapons into a level.

I actually wish I could turn off the extra weapon slots they're completely detrimental to me.

Oh, I misread it as "carry a second level weapon into a level". My bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are some random effects that can occur when you clear out a "room" in Nightmare Reaper but not all rooms seem to qualify, it mostly seems to affect about 1 room per level guaranteed rather than feeling like a random roll but whatever.

The point is they can be good or bad. They're mostly time wasters, but one of them is basically an immediate run ender. It causes ice to rain from the sky and the ice hurts. And it hurts so much and with no warning that I've died near on instantly of the effect kicking in. You have to find some way to shut it off but the only clue is a path of icey footprints on the ground aka not the direction the ice is coming from. Not that it matters much because it can trigger in rooms that have cieling heights that would make wolfenstein 3d blush so good luck anyway.

Its occured 5 times in my playthrough and Ive survived once. No other effect has killed me more than once.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Barudak posted:

There are some random effects that can occur when you clear out a "room" in Nightmare Reaper but not all rooms seem to qualify, it mostly seems to affect about 1 room per level guaranteed rather than feeling like a random roll but whatever.

The point is they can be good or bad. They're mostly time wasters, but one of them is basically an immediate run ender. It causes ice to rain from the sky and the ice hurts. And it hurts so much and with no warning that I've died near on instantly of the effect kicking in. You have to find some way to shut it off but the only clue is a path of icey footprints on the ground aka not the direction the ice is coming from. Not that it matters much because it can trigger in rooms that have cieling heights that would make wolfenstein 3d blush so good luck anyway.

Its occured 5 times in my playthrough and Ive survived once. No other effect has killed me more than once.

Only big rooms qualify. There should be an audible audio cue, too. Did the ice home in on you or something?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

Only big rooms qualify. There should be an audible audio cue, too. Did the ice home in on you or something?

There is an audio cue, but its the same one as all other random events, which also can be a bit hidden (see me now 2/3 on killing the dog on pure accident). It doesn't home in, it starts pouring on top of you near immediately. Like the length of time between "audio cue" and "you are now taking a shitload of damage" is just about as long as it takes me to go "well I don't see anything new in this room yet"

The random event that spawns hundreds of little enemies is just tedium. Back into a corner, hold down the fire button with a melee weapon, wait.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Barudak posted:

That stupid jump scare ghost one is just as bad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

That stupid jump scare ghost one is just as bad

That one at least its targeting orb glows through walls on your screen so instantly you go "ok theres where I've got to go". Its still bad because you are almost entirely assured to take at least single hit from it before you can get to said orb, but at least you know where you're going so you aren't fumbling around getting obliterated while trying to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

source games have aged remarkably well, graphically

This was one of Valve’s biggest strengths with their source games imo. Leaning so heavily on a specific art style instead of going for photo realism was a great decision.