Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Charles Bukowski posted:

No I don't like Evolzors at all, I was just using them as an example. I think there are just too many cards that will never seen much play again unless they get support to make them worth getting interested in.

I think part of the issue is the fact that a lot of these decks were never good to begin with. There's a big difference between Evolzaurs and Inzektors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i discovered someone's "progression playoff" series on youtube and i hate how fun this sounds, has anyone here done anything like that and was it a good time?

(for those who don't know basically it's like a limited league or whatever you get sometimes in mtg, the way the people in the series im watching are doing it is all four of the players use an online pack opener to "open" 24 packs from the first set in yugioh, legend of blue-eyes, and they have to build a deck with what the random pack opener gives them and then do a best-of-one elimination tournament. the two losers from the first round then each get to elect a card to be permanently banned, and then next week the group moves onto the next set (metal raiders) and opens 24 packs of that, then updates the deck from the previous week with their new pulls and do another best-of-one tournament, two losers get to ban a card each, etc etc)

Mix. fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 2, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, a weird out-of-nowhere question: what would happen to the game if you just banned Ash Blossom?

Every time I read people talking about problem cards that should be/are being banned, Ash Blossom somehow comes up in the conversation as to why they're so strong ("Mystic Mine is unfair because even if you can out it, the Mine player will just Ash Blossom your out", that kinda thing). But for some reason I never see people broach the subject of limiting or banning Ash Blossom, despite the fact that I feel like now it's in the same category that got stuff like Pot of Greed banned, where it's ubiquitous to an almost pointless degree, and that it's apparently a decider in how powerful a lot of meta decks are.

I assume it's an accepted presence at three for a reason, I'm just wondering what breaks if you take it away.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 3, 2022

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i imagine if it were ever going to be banned they'd probably have to wean people onto the idea by limiting it first since wasn't it a pretty pricey card in paper for a while

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That seems very backwards, Ash Blossom (and other hand trap cards depending on the meta) is usually the reason why otherwise busted combos are kept in check. Turn 1 interaction is vital for making the game playable, without it Yugioh would be purely a coinflip + solitaire experience.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It sucks being hit by Ash Blossom but the game has evolved to a point where you NEED Ash Blossom. Banning Ash Blossom would like...completely change how the game functions, honestly.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
The only way you could reasonably ban Ash Blossom and not completely turn the game into spreadsheet solitaire is to either put a hard limit on summoning per turn, how many cards can be played per turn, or some combination of the two. The problem with that is that Konami tried that once and completely botched it, so they're probably too scared to try it again.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Unironically they should buff ash blossom so it's not a once per turn effect :argh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hand traps serve the same function in Yu-Gi-Oh as combo breakers do in fighting games. Take away the best combo breaker, all you've done is make combos that much stronger.

Banning Ash Blossom and hoping it'd make Yugioh more balanced is like banning chemotherapy to cure hair loss.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TaurusOxford posted:

The only way you could reasonably ban Ash Blossom and not completely turn the game into spreadsheet solitaire is to either put a hard limit on summoning per turn, how many cards can be played per turn, or some combination of the two. The problem with that is that Konami tried that once and completely botched it, so they're probably too scared to try it again.

They'd also need to ban an enormous amount of cards.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ash blossom is incredibly funny to me as someone who came back to yugioh after spending literally 10+ years playing magic the gathering because its like. yeah she's pretty good! what do you mean she's meta defining

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mix. posted:

ash blossom is incredibly funny to me as someone who came back to yugioh after spending literally 10+ years playing magic the gathering because its like. yeah she's pretty good! what do you mean she's meta defining
To be fair, someone new to MtG might need a bit to understand why Mental Misstep is banned in Modern and Legacy.

Edit: Or why Once Upon A Time is the most broken Green card ever printed.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 3, 2022

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i think the biggest thing i still trip up on sometimes is the fact that yugioh doesn't mulligan :psyduck:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

When people complain about Ash Blossom, what they're actually saying is that they play a mediocre combo deck that falls over if you turn off any of the steps of its combo, and they think they're entitled to play the full thing out every time they see their starter. If you wanted to address their complaint, you'd have to ban a lot more than Ash Blossom. Ghost Ogre, Effect Veiler, Infinite Impermanence and probably a couple of others I'm forgetting do basically the same thing when it comes to breaking fragile combos. And if you got rid of all of those, the decks that are already the best decks would be so overwhelming once they got set up that winning the coin toss would basically mean winning the game.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Dabir posted:

When people complain about Ash Blossom, what they're actually saying is that they play a mediocre combo deck that falls over if you turn off any of the steps of its combo, and they think they're entitled to play the full thing out every time they see their starter. If you wanted to address their complaint, you'd have to ban a lot more than Ash Blossom. Ghost Ogre, Effect Veiler, Infinite Impermanence and probably a couple of others I'm forgetting do basically the same thing when it comes to breaking fragile combos. And if you got rid of all of those, the decks that are already the best decks would be so overwhelming once they got set up that winning the coin toss would basically mean winning the game.

this exactly. there's a good chance the future of the game is going to involve baking ash-blossom-like effects into every new archetype's combo pieces just to increase the odds of opening some interaction during turn 1. either that or implementing a mulligan, but let's be real, they'll always choose power creep over fixing inherent problems with the game

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Necrovalley and Summon Limit should be baked into the core rules imo

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Necrovalley and Summon Limit should be baked into the core rules imo

Absolutely not on the first. Probably not on the latter.

Multiple Summons aren't the problem, there are plenty of bad decks that summon multiple things a turn.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm not even sure Ash Blossom necessarily is a combo deck killer. I mean sure, they don't like it, but most of the good ones can keep going. The decks I feel most suffer from Ash are the slower and more control-based decks that aren't relying on a slew of combo cards. You ash a Drytron, they've usually got another one and can just sorta keep moving, but if you ash a slower deck's power card, or a deck's counter to a big control-based playmaker like Mystic Mine, that's kinda it.

I get that we're in a position where we might not be able to get rid of Ash Blossom, but I feel like it's wrong to say it's 'anti-combo', because Ash is anti-everything, and I feel like combo decks aren't necessarily on the top of her poo poo list. Anti-combo is more like Nibiru and Maxx C., stuff that specifically punishes long plays.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

I'm not even sure Ash Blossom necessarily is a combo deck killer. I mean sure, they don't like it, but most of the good ones can keep going. The decks I feel most suffer from Ash are the slower and more control-based decks that aren't relying on a slew of combo cards. You ash a Drytron, they've usually got another one and can just sorta keep moving, but if you ash a slower deck's power card, or a deck's counter to a big control-based playmaker like Mystic Mine, that's kinda it.

I get that we're in a position where we might not be able to get rid of Ash Blossom, but I feel like it's wrong to say it's 'anti-combo', because Ash is anti-everything, and I feel like combo decks aren't necessarily on the top of her poo poo list. Anti-combo is more like Nibiru and Maxx C., stuff that specifically punishes long plays.

The issue is that those decks play through Ash because decks that don't play through Ash are bad decks, remove Ash and that doesn't actually increase the number of viable decks, it just means that Draitron has one less way to be stopped and still run wild all over the decks that Ash stops in one go.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Even good decks often have choke points where Ashing them right there will cut the combo off early and give you a fighting chance.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dabir posted:

Even good decks often have choke points where Ashing them right there will cut the combo off early and give you a fighting chance.

In fact this means Ash isn't an automatic combo breaker and can be misplayed if used at the wrong time. Or even played around by playing less important combo pieces to bait out Ashes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mix. posted:

i think the biggest thing i still trip up on sometimes is the fact that yugioh doesn't mulligan :psyduck:

I definitely miss that when I bounce between YGO and Shadowverse

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

In fact this means Ash isn't an automatic combo breaker and can be misplayed if used at the wrong time. Or even played around by playing less important combo pieces to bait out Ashes.

This is why I use a spreadsheet I got in the discord. It tells me what I should negate based on what's in my hand and what deck my opponent is playing. It's so very handy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Here it is again:

Ashing a control deck can definitely do work, but you're generally just trading one for one rather than ruining their entire turn. Like if you counter Eldlixir they could still easily have a set Torrential and Skill Drain that keeps them in the game, while a combo player that fails to go off is usually a sitting duck.

e: also what Mystic Mine out are you ashing anyway? That's usually gotta be something like Twin Twisters

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 3, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

e: also what Mystic Mine out are you ashing anyway? That's usually gotta be something like Twin Twisters

This wasn't an original one, but something I saw someone complain about, so it's probably whatever slim non-monster backrow removal they had, likely Twin Twisters or Harpie's Feather Duster. A big struggle some people have with Mystic Mine is that a lot of modern decks put most of their weight on monster effects; Mystic Mine kinda fucks you if all your backrow removal is monster-based, so that complaint had to come from someone who prepared for Mystic Mine with exactly one card, that then got ashed. Which frankly was entirely their fault, but I do find it funny that they made that scenario and then decided that the one thing at fault for it was Mystic Mine.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It’s a stroke of ingenuity for the dev to give everyone a free ash blossom. Good player can now survive most otk, while whale deck skilless player can ash their own maxx c.

Hell there’s a formula sheet made just to show you where to ash a combo setup in Drytron.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_-anK8VlVft0AEdfboDiO75DV7nRouRicosiNbhy4Wc/edit#gid=0

Here's a handy cheat sheet telling you what handtraps to use against most meta decks and where!

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Cleretic posted:

So, a weird out-of-nowhere question: what would happen to the game if you just banned Ash Blossom?

Every time I read people talking about problem cards that should be/are being banned, Ash Blossom somehow comes up in the conversation as to why they're so strong ("Mystic Mine is unfair because even if you can out it, the Mine player will just Ash Blossom your out", that kinda thing). But for some reason I never see people broach the subject of limiting or banning Ash Blossom, despite the fact that I feel like now it's in the same category that got stuff like Pot of Greed banned, where it's ubiquitous to an almost pointless degree, and that it's apparently a decider in how powerful a lot of meta decks are.

I assume it's an accepted presence at three for a reason, I'm just wondering what breaks if you take it away.

You practically stop no combos and watch your enemy set up a board now without fear or deterrence. Yeah, it allows some decks to not die on cue, but that just allows other decks to set up murderboards without fear.

It's a necessary evil.

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 4, 2022

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The new Duel Pass give you Mokey Mokey as you Mate.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Fingers crossed the progression is as broken as the last one and you can complete it in four days

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Is the gem cost the same?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is the gem cost the same?

its a little more expensive this time, but they also increased the amount of gems you get from it, so its functionally the same cost to rewards ratio as far as gems are concerned

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It also gives you a bit more dust this time (it's now 120 each for SR and UR).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Finally got my Hero deck into a playable state and went into ranked. Actually won a few games despite being incredibly rusty.

That said it's just bronze I'm sure when I get into silver I'll be bludgeoned into submission by Drytons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blockhouse posted:

Finally got my Hero deck into a playable state and went into ranked. Actually won a few games despite being incredibly rusty.

That said it's just bronze I'm sure when I get into silver I'll be bludgeoned into submission by Drytons.

Nah, Silver is the domain of people trying to make Blue-Eyes/Dark Magician happen.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Dark Law completely fucks over Dry if you're going first. Going second you basically live or die by your handtraps/droplets (though the same applies to any other deck facing Dry)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

You won't see much Drytrons until Platinum really. Silver is as mentioned, people trying to be Yugi/Kaiba. Gold is people using more off-color archetypes, and the occasional DD bot. Platinum is DD/meta deck hell until Plat I where people start loving around again because they can't de-rank anymore.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I am loving that Konami didn't even re-evaluate the Duel Pass progress and it's brainless easy to level again.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i just like that mokey mokey gets angry if you click on him :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I like that if you max out the duel pass, you break even on the gems you spent to get it. That's a pretty good balance.

I basically get a free Mokey Mokey for being good enough at cramming spaceships in coliseums! (I did start including Kaiser Coliseum in my Kozmo deck, it seems to do pretty good even if I have to resist the urge to Kozmotown and E-Tele together three spaceships just because I can.)