Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Game of Thrones online discourse peaked when a big pirated stream of the episode where Jaime gets his hand cut off hosed up and played the ending song too soon.
It went *chop*, *scream*, *drums kick in immediately while Jaime's still screaming and before the credits start*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgiTB2NFvAM

Everyone watching that stream got super pissed HBO would edit the show that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I think the hope was that it would get better but lol.

Season 4 was great and I enjoyed season 5’s big moments. Battle of the bastards and such. Or whenever that was. I called the ending to my roommate at the time as a joke and I was dying bc I thought of the hackiest thing they could do and they kept doing it.

Absolutely incredible.

Yeah it was obvious to anyone paying attention that it was entirely rudderless without being able to crib directly from the books, but I think there were some legitimate reasons to hope. For one thing, announcing a concrete ending meant they didn't need to just have people aimlessly wandering around filling screen time and could actually move with intent toward their endings. And some of the stuff that built to a head in those last few seasons actually ended up kind of cool or at least were close enough to big moments that they could be talked about around the water cooler, like Aria murdering the Freys or the White Walkers smashing through the Wall and finally arriving in the north. Combine that with the idea that George had at least given a solid outline of the ideas that should be included in the ending, so even for people like me who read all the books and saw all the seams, there was at least some reason to think it would pick back up to season 5 levels even if it was going to be way worse the early seasons.

Then they just did every stupid thing they could think of. Even the stuff they had specific outlines for they just did in the worst possible interpretation that they could think of. They couldn't even maintain a coherent continuity for things from episode to episode like "how many of the Unsullied are around after the Battle of Winterfell, how good are the dragons at killing boats, etc" and every single episode had fallout memes unlike anything I've seen from anything aside from like, some of the more memorable poo poo from Trump's presidency. It was insane how bad they botched it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The worst thing they did, in my opinion, is how they just absolutely torpedoed Jaime's character development. His ending was just completely baffling.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mercury Hat posted:

Game of Thrones online discourse peaked when a big pirated stream of the episode where Jaime gets his hand cut off hosed up and played the ending song too soon.
It went *chop*, *scream*, *drums kick in immediately while Jaime's still screaming and before the credits start*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgiTB2NFvAM

Everyone watching that stream got super pissed HBO would edit the show that way.

Which was dumb, because that was the most laugh out loud hilarious moment of the show and probably one of the GRRMiest too. That lightswitch style flip from the horrifying to the hilarious using dark humour as the bridge.

People have no loving taste, I swear to god.

Macaluso posted:

The worst thing they did, in my opinion, is how they just absolutely torpedoed Jaime's character development. His ending was just completely baffling.

Oh yeah, "To be honest, I never cared about the common people" was the final nail in the show's coffin for me, and to think this comes like even 10 minutes before the absolute point-of-no-return aka Dany going crazy and murdering everyone because some bells ring.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The only moment where I felt huh maybe things could get better is when Cersei blew up the sept and I thought oh cool politics and consequences are gonna matter again the whole reason I got into the show and then the Lannisters have a string of victories until the last battle.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jimbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyJBP1X1mLE

It's worth it to watch Mike and Rich try to wrap their heads around real-world problems and see past their privilege. ICE has kids locked up in cages, my guys. The cartoony depictions of them being racists is tame by comparison.

Their issue has never been the cartoon depiction of ICE, it's that all of these Real World Issues aren't being used in an interesting way, or to tell a story, or to even say anything other than "these real world issues are bad." The whole point of, like, fiction, is the ability to talk about things without talking directly about them. Science fiction is full of examples of this, with Star Trek being full of really obvious ones that everyone understood. With people's guards down, you can then interrogate why these problems exist and come to a rational and moral conclusion about them. It'd be like if Judgement Day, that story where an astronaut decides that a civilization isn't advanced enough to reach the stars because of their racist society and then he goes back to his ship and takes off his helmet and he's black, that one? It'd be like if that story was an astronaut coming to earth during the 1950s, seeing segregation, and going "man, this is utter trash" and then nothing happens.

Their main issue is that everyone's a stupid character written by people who have no idea about anything. Even the core dilemma, which the show seems to skip out on a bunch, is a very strange thing for Star Trek to focus on. The Federation grew out of a nuclear WWIII that left every city destroyed, the air filled with radiation, and I think like a billion people dead. It's not that things got bad so humans decided to be bad, it's that things got bad and humans decided to never pull that poo poo again. That's like... the core kernel of hope of the setting. That even if we bring disaster to ourselves, we don't have to keep doing it. We can choose another path. That humanity became a galactic scourge determined to destroy all non-humans isn't a guarantee from terrible, world ending events. It's a decision made.

Honestly I don't know why they keep watching. Just to torture themselves? To watch a pathetic thing they know has no value? Avert your gaze, you need not stare at everything.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 4, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If you're coming down on the Picard side in RLM vs Picard please reconsider.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

If you're coming down on the Picard side in RLM vs Picard please reconsider.

Then again, Mike was also convinced that Picard and Data weren't friends in TNG despite ample evidence to the contrary. I don't need the grumblings of two miserable drunks (yes I know Rich doesn't drink) from Wisconsin who can't get over the fact that Modern Trek isn't TNG-2 like they wanted it to be to form my own opinions on what parts of Star Trek I like and dislike, unlike apparently the rest of the internet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0xA0oLoeYA

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
JonTron talks about KFC conspiracies, which is, uh...fitting for him, I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeDhC0cFQwg

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i saw s1-6 of new voltron like right before s7 dropped and in hindsight its real sloppily written and theres a lot of bizarre elements even before the infamous last 2 seasons... i think, i was mostly projecting the shows stuff with what i wanted to see in a hypothetical srw

the list of baffling stuff im recalling off the top of my head includes the space racism subplot, lotor being Mega Evil just offscreen the whole time as exposited by some rando, plot bits getting dropped after like 1 ep like shiros ptsd + alluras ai dad getting 0 screentime between him getting introduced and him kicking it several eps later, constant new characters w/o development (just like 2.5/5 of the main chars heyyyyy :v:), making one chars final development happen offscreen in a 30 second long wordless montage, shiros bf breaking up with him in 1 flashback and then getting blown up in another flashback like 7 eps later with like 10 lines total, and something to do with gay space pirates getting exploded and then they're magically better in 8???
theres prob way more im forgetting but yeesh what a mess :psyduck:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So F.D Signifier put out his inevitable video about Will Smith he does a great job of using it to frame his analysis of black boyhood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtXPTGkuJIA

fake edit: There is a dark reboot of Fresh Prince of Belair. Huh.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

JonTron talks about KFC conspiracies, which is, uh...fitting for him, I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeDhC0cFQwg
i prefer not to know what jontron is talking about, thanks

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

who links jon "desperate for the neo nazis to like him back" tron in this day and age???

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Being a robot anime nerd, and watching the Dreamworks Voltron, it really stuck to me how seemingly embarrassed that it was in fact a Super Robot show. And tried to shy away from doing cool Super Robot poo poo in favor of being a more milquetoast version of Avatar.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

i prefer not to know what jontron is talking about, thanks

He does this weird bit where the conspiracy people he's (purportedly) pointing and laughing at start talking about the "New World Order" and "those who want to control us" and he stares at the camera in a wink-wink-nudge-nudge way like he's restraining himself with all his might from belting out "THE JEWS!"

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

pidge and hunk are completely useless characters (hunk especially has that single miniarc in s1 and then after that is just The Big Lad Whomst Likes To Eat) and you might as well have cut them out entirely so they can focus more on the most boring guy in the universe, keith

also its bs pidges dad didn't kick it, its a super robot show and i Demand at least one dead parental figure :colbert:

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't play video games at home. I'm trying to work through Elden Ring but I just can't maintain focus. I only play video games at tournament venues.

But it sounds pretty good from Geller's vid.

Anyway the question of continuity of consciousness doesn't actually in any way impact what choices I can make in my life. I don't get to decide if I got to sleep, I don't get to decide if I have a syncope or get knocked out, any of that. If sleeping or losing a fistfight means I "die" then what am I supposed to do about it? Non-actionable philosophy is bad philosophy. Maybe I turn down general anesthesia for my wisdom teeth? Big whoop. One less death on the stack.

Continuity of consciousness gets to be a bit more of a quandary when you start getting into the territory of speculative fiction. There's not really much existential dread in being unconscious for a few hours, but when you start getting into ideas like mind uploading or a teleporter that works by atomizing you and then rebuilding an identical duplicate on the molecular level at your destination you start to get into some interesting topics of conversation.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Booky posted:

pidge and hunk are completely useless characters (hunk especially has that single miniarc in s1 and then after that is just The Big Lad Whomst Likes To Eat) and you might as well have cut them out entirely so they can focus more on the most boring guy in the universe, keith

also its bs pidges dad didn't kick it, its a super robot show and i Demand at least one dead parental figure :colbert:

not to voltronpost too much but pidge was such a weird character??? like you take this genius guy and you do the reveal like 2 seasons in that actually pidge is a g-g-g-girl!?!? and it turns out they pretended to be a boy to get into spaceship school so they could go after their missing dad and brother, so pidge isn't their name... except nothing about their gender presentation including the name people call them changes until they find pidges dad and it's all the she's and hers...

like, they wrote a trans guy character and then spent several seasons just misgendering them and it's hosed up right?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

KingKalamari posted:

Continuity of consciousness gets to be a bit more of a quandary when you start getting into the territory of speculative fiction. There's not really much existential dread in being unconscious for a few hours, but when you start getting into ideas like mind uploading or a teleporter that works by atomizing you and then rebuilding an identical duplicate on the molecular level at your destination you start to get into some interesting topics of conversation.
the quandary disappears entirely when instead of asking if the ship of theseus is a new ship or the same ship you recognise that time ensures there are infinite ships all alike but different as every single one is a new and different ship the same as the previous.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

The only moment where I felt huh maybe things could get better is when Cersei blew up the sept and I thought oh cool politics and consequences are gonna matter again the whole reason I got into the show and then the Lannisters have a string of victories until the last battle.

Yeah, that was the last high point of the show.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

KingKalamari posted:

Sure but uploading is closer to the ethics of childbirth and (anti)natalism than anything actually related to continuity of consciousness. And transporters are, again, like what's the actual problem. Unless you believe in the immortal soul then does it actually matter? No! The duplicate on the other side of the transporter has all the same moral obligations and human dignity I did before getting vaporized, so it's fine.

Again, this is just my perspective. It's obviously worth talking about. But people get hung up on "do transporters kill you" and not enough move on to "so what"?

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 5, 2022

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
"do transporters kill you" is a really fuckin' important question

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

DoctorWhat posted:

Sure but uploading is closer to the ethics of childbirth and (anti)natalism than anything actually related to continuity of consciousness. And transporters are, again, like what's the actual problem. Unless you believe in the immortal soul then does it actually matter? No! The duplicate on the other side of the transporter has all the same moral obligations and human dignity I did before getting vaporized, so it's fine.

Again, this is just my perspective. It's obviously worth talking about. But people get hung up on "do transporters kill you" and not enough move on to "so what"?

An identical copy of me isn't me, and I don't want to die even though an identical copy of me keeps going

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

egg tats posted:

not to voltronpost too much but pidge was such a weird character??? like you take this genius guy and you do the reveal like 2 seasons in that actually pidge is a g-g-g-girl!?!? and it turns out they pretended to be a boy to get into spaceship school so they could go after their missing dad and brother, so pidge isn't their name... except nothing about their gender presentation including the name people call them changes until they find pidges dad and it's all the she's and hers...

like, they wrote a trans guy character and then spent several seasons just misgendering them and it's hosed up right?

pidge being a gal was revealed in like s1 iirc? and i think the other chars still call her she and her but also go heya pidge after the reveal and her like backstory with like a fake name and stuff
imo i never saw her as trans since its p clear she was (textually) written as a cis lass whos incognito, tho i think u could make a p ok case for her being nb (tho shes kind of a flat character and wonkily written besides that anyhow)

Booky fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 5, 2022

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Then again, Mike was also convinced that Picard and Data weren't friends in TNG despite ample evidence to the contrary. I don't need the grumblings of two miserable drunks (yes I know Rich doesn't drink) from Wisconsin who can't get over the fact that Modern Trek isn't TNG-2 like they wanted it to be to form my own opinions on what parts of Star Trek I like and dislike, unlike apparently the rest of the internet.

Mike definitely seems to think that anything any TV show depicts, not just Picard, could never actually be as bad as the TV show. It’s an ongoing weakness of his especially in things related to Star Trek or science fiction in general.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

DoctorWhat posted:

have you ever played SOMA

i vote in favor of not dying, personally. not a fan of it.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Marin Karin posted:

have you ever played SOMA

been sayin this

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
There's a new episode of Flash In The Pan, featuring a cool special guest, a classic Legendary Frog cartoon, and shrieking anime blobs. Plus, a scavenger hunt!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Grondoth posted:

Honestly I don't know why they keep watching. Just to torture themselves? To watch a pathetic thing they know has no value? Avert your gaze, you need not stare at everything.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DoctorWhat posted:

A) a lot of people do indeed believe, in some form, in the immortal soul so it's kinda weird to go 'well unless you have this incredibly mainstream belief' so casually

B) even if you don't believe in a soul I don't know how that translates to 'I'm 100% okay and fine with dying because someone with my memories and basic human obligations will come out the other side'. Like...Even the most secular people I know who believe in zero 'spiritual' features and all aren't, like, amped to get vaporized just because there's a suitably solid replacement for them.

Like, to go to some heavy hyperbole and all I admit but still in the ballpark, if I said 'I'm going to shoot you in the head, but don't worry, from the door next to us someone who looks just like you will come out and live your life with the same moral obligations and human dignity of any other human in society in your place' you're not gonna go 'oh, cool then, this is fine', right? The 'do transporters kill you' is like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I didn't do it last time so I'm now going through my bi-weekly batch of Dogs Must Die episodes. I absolutely agree that I wish DiU had a slice of life spinoff so we got more time with the characters. Give me an actual Mikitaka and Rohan episode where the former isn't disguised as a pair of dice. Show me the angry team of Jotato, Yukako and Tomoko hanging out together for some reason.

I do want an episode of Dogs Must Die that's a highlight of all the predictions that turn out to be wrong. I listened to 50, 51, and 52 so stuff like, 'Oh, Kira got stabbed with the arrow, we're doing a DIO again, Hayato had a time loop stand now!' would be fun.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Piell posted:

An identical copy of me isn't me, and I don't want to die even though an identical copy of me keeps going

Assuming the absence of an immortal soul, for what purpose do you carry on living? Yes, obviously the belief in a soul is extremely popular but if the soul exists we have no framework for discussing its behaviors. We don't know god's rules, we don't know how souls work, it's non-actionable information.

For me, the purpose of continued existence is to provide joy and fellowship with other people. The transporter duplicate, or the me that wakes up from major surgery, carries forward my memories and intentions for interacting with and affecting the lives of other people. That's how my life is measured, so a gap of awareness or consciousness or even life itself doesn't have a unique impact on the life of "DoctorWhat, Ontological Entity That Impacts The World Around Him".

If my "good works" (pretentious but bear with me) and intent carry forward, as well as the potential for enriching and desirable experiences, it doesn't matter what's happening on a meat-and-electricity level. People don't have obituaries written about their cerebral cortex, obituaries are about people's lives.

As for being shot with a gun or whatever, that's emotionally different because of like, you know, the lack of choice in the matter. To what end am I being shot? Just to prove a point? As opposed to going under for surgery, or taking a transporter.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 5, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's a fun Invincible episode about this conversation you clones.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DoctorWhat posted:

Assuming the absence of an immortal soul, for what purpose do you carry on living?

For me, the purpose of continued existence is to provide joy and fellowship with other people. The transporter duplicate, or the me that wakes up from major surgery, carries forward my memories and intentions for interacting with and affecting the lives of other people. That's how my life is measured, so a gap of awareness or consciousness or even life itself doesn't have a unique impact on the life of "DoctorWhat, Ontological Entity That Impacts The World Around Him".

If my "good works" (pretentious but bear with me) and intent carry forward, as well as the potential for enriching and desirable experiences, it doesn't matter what's happening on a meat-and-electricity level. People don't have obituaries written about their cerebral cortex, obituaries are about people's lives.

because I enjoy being alive, my man. Like, I enjoy eating hotwings and hanging out with my husband and drinking beer and poo poo that I can't do if I'm dead even if there's an equally passionate clone of me enjoying those things.

Like, I'm not trying to be lovely but is this just an elaborate way to say you have depression because 'I don't see a purpose in continuing living' is kinda really common as an intrusive thought there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you gently caress your clone is it masturbation or sex?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I didn't do it last time so I'm now going through my bi-weekly batch of Dogs Must Die episodes. I absolutely agree that I wish DiU had a slice of life spinoff so we got more time with the characters. Give me an actual Mikitaka and Rohan episode where the former isn't disguised as a pair of dice. Show me the angry team of Jotato, Yukako and Tomoko hanging out together for some reason.

I do want an episode of Dogs Must Die that's a highlight of all the predictions that turn out to be wrong. I listened to 50, 51, and 52 so stuff like, 'Oh, Kira got stabbed with the arrow, we're doing a DIO again, Hayato had a time loop stand now!' would be fun.

I want to see Suzie Q meeting Josuke.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Enjoying chicken wings and video games and all that stuff is great! I do it because it makes me happy, gives me new experiences and memories to integrate into the project of the self, and the project of the self is to spread joy and kindness on earth.

It would be a huge bummer if I died because then DoctorWhat doesn't get to go on learning and sharing and being a part of people's lives.

I have plenty of reasons to go on living. And the act of, Prestige-style, deliberately killing a transporter duplicate would be monstrous because, you know, it's murder. I'd like not to be murdered. But if going under for surgery "kills" my consciousness and someone "new" wakes up in my body, convinced that they're still DoctorWhat, I'm 1000% fine with that. They get to go on doing good work without a bad knee or a jaw infection or whatever.

Gaius Marius posted:

If you gently caress your clone is it masturbation or sex?

As soon as you simultaneously exist your experiences diverge, so it's sex.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

DoctorWhat posted:

Assuming the absence of an immortal soul, for what purpose do you carry on living?

"Why do you want to stay alive if you don't have an immortal soul" is a nonsense question, I want to stay alive because I don't have an immortal soul and when I'm dead I won't continue.

quote:

I exist beyond what impact I have on other people, an obituary isn't a person.

quote:

As for being shot with a gun or whatever, that's emotionally different because of like, you know, the lack of choice in the matter. To what end am I being shot? Just to prove a point? As opposed to going under for surgery, or taking a transporter.

I, personally, would not shoot myself in the head just so a copy of me can go somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
In regards to the transporter problem version of continuity of consciousness, this old animated short does a pretty good job of summarizing the matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXKUcsvhQc

The problem isn't a gap in your awareness or consciousness, the problem is that while a second version of you arrives at your destination, the original version of you that steps into the transporter is just dead and they will never know the experiences of the version that steps out the other end.