Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

They have a bundle for their 4 fader module + their 16 encoder module which is exactly what I was going to buy but their website is broken and I can't add it to my cart :(

I sent them an email so hopefully they let me order one even if they sell out somehow.

Edit: They got back to me and fixed it :woop:

Here's what I ended up with: https://intech.studio/shop/bundles/bundle-001

I just bought this, too - seems very compelling price wise and once I read about the scripting and non midi features it seemed exceptionally worth it. Let's hope they are good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Can anyone identify the synth used on the bassline on Beyonces' Love on Top? Model D? It sounds vaguely Moogish to my ears at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MthCZnf25QE

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

I'm making some voice recordings for work, and getting some odd results.
I use a Zoom H2n with the built in microphone in M/S mode, with the M/S separation turned all the way down to "mono", recording to 48 KHz 16 bit WAV. I'm speaking very close to the microphone from the "back side" of the recorder, which should be the M/S recording front. I'm close to the microphone attempting to counter the bad acoustics everywhere available for me to record at this time.

When I open the recorded file in Audacity I see this (both channels are identical):

The negative peaks are much larger than the positive ones, but the signal is zero-centered otherwise. I think this will make it annoying to process.
What's going on, how does this happen, and is it fixable in post?

https://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=88776

You could use a phase rotator to fix it.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Before I contemplate coding one myself, is anyone aware of a good windows program that lets you use a midi controller to do stuff with your system? I'm thinking about changing system volume level, muting or unmuting, sending keystrokes, etc. I've seen some that send keystrokes, but I was hoping for a bit more than that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah I should have updated my post, I also talked to someone else afterwards, and got decently convinced that that's just how speech produces, especially when close to the mic.

havelock posted:

Before I contemplate coding one myself, is anyone aware of a good windows program that lets you use a midi controller to do stuff with your system? I'm thinking about changing system volume level, muting or unmuting, sending keystrokes, etc. I've seen some that send keystrokes, but I was hoping for a bit more than that.

AutoHotkey with an add-on like this? https://github.com/dannywarren/AutoHotkey-Midi

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 14, 2022

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

nielsm posted:

Yeah I should have updated my post, I also talked to someone else afterwards, and got decently convinced that that's just how speech produces, especially when close to the mic.

I didn't know the answer so I googled it and apparently yeah, being close to the mic can produce a pressure bias in one direction.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

havelock posted:

Bome MIDI Translator seems to be the go-to for this? Costs money though. There was a free one, but I forgot the name. Something-something DJ?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Oooh this looks like it'll scratch the immediate itch.

free Trapt CD posted:

Bome MIDI Translator seems to be the go-to for this? Costs money though. There was a free one, but I forgot the name. Something-something DJ?

At least there's a free trial here to fiddle with.

Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone recommend a good electronic/desktop EQ for my laptop? I listen to a lot of music on my computer while I'm working through headphones and while I run the signal through a tube preamp, sometimes I just want to tweak things a little bit.

I travel fairly often so I often take my laptop with me without the preamp and listen to music on it, which is why I want a digital EQ I can just open up on my homescreen instead of an external/physical one.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on it, but I am willing to pay if it's worth it/a reasonable price. Free is always better tho!

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
If you're on Windows there is Equalizer APO with the Peace GUI

Also, if you're using headphones you can load EQ profiles for your specific set

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Sorry if this has already been answered, or belongs someplace else, I didn't see anywhere better in my brief searching.

I'm looking for recommendations for introductions to music fundamentals (for lack of a better description). For all intents and purposes, I know nothing about music, besides one year of band in middle school. I basically want something to teach me core terms and definitions, and hopefully give me a deeper explanation than what might be provided in an average "intro to [instrument]" book.

To be more specific, certain musical terms frequently pop up in fairly normal contexts like notes, chords, octaves, tone, etc. A book I'm reading right now is talking about minor seconds, flatted fifths, going "through two and a half octaves", etc. I could Google each term I come upon, but I have been wanting to learn more and have a better understanding of music fundamentals.

Ideally, I'd also like something that could also go a tad deeper to into mathematical/scientific explanations (if any exist, if that's even possible). For example, with notes A, B, C, etc, how are the actually separated, are they sound frequencies? Honestly I'm having a hard time describing what I'm looking for because I don't know enough to know what questions to ask. I guess, If you're familiar with "cooking for engineers", I'm kind of hoping for "music 101 for engineers".

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom posted:

Sorry if this has already been answered, or belongs someplace else, I didn't see anywhere better in my brief searching.

I'm looking for recommendations for introductions to music fundamentals (for lack of a better description). For all intents and purposes, I know nothing about music, besides one year of band in middle school. I basically want something to teach me core terms and definitions, and hopefully give me a deeper explanation than what might be provided in an average "intro to [instrument]" book.

To be more specific, certain musical terms frequently pop up in fairly normal contexts like notes, chords, octaves, tone, etc. A book I'm reading right now is talking about minor seconds, flatted fifths, going "through two and a half octaves", etc. I could Google each term I come upon, but I have been wanting to learn more and have a better understanding of music fundamentals.

Ideally, I'd also like something that could also go a tad deeper to into mathematical/scientific explanations (if any exist, if that's even possible). For example, with notes A, B, C, etc, how are the actually separated, are they sound frequencies? Honestly I'm having a hard time describing what I'm looking for because I don't know enough to know what questions to ask. I guess, If you're familiar with "cooking for engineers", I'm kind of hoping for "music 101 for engineers".

I know this is low effort but to get you pointed in the right direction: what you want to learn about is Music Theory. As for it having more of a mathematical bent, I learned most of what I know about sound in physics class, not music!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I would suggest piano or another keyboard instrument because most of what you’re asking is most easily visualized on one. As for how notes are determined and what frequencies they are, the Wikipedia articles about them are pretty readable imo. This one is good to start with: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A440_(pitch_standard)

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

pseudorandom posted:

Honestly I'm having a hard time describing what I'm looking for because I don't know enough to know what questions to ask. I guess, If you're familiar with "cooking for engineers", I'm kind of hoping for "music 101 for engineers".

If you're after the real fundamentals you can try to understand the role of the harmonic series.

Basically if something sounds like a musical note it's because the frequencies that make up the sound line up more or less with the harmonic series. Conversely non musical sounds have frequencies that don't line up with it.

Andrew Huang has a pretty nice intro to it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx_kugSemfY

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I really like "How Music Really Works" by Wayne Chase. It's a little windy at times, but covers the physics and then builds Western music theory on top of that, eg explaining why we have the notes we do, why scales are constructed as they are, why we divide time, and then gets into harmony and melody and songwriting using those blocks. I found it very helpful for getting "the language" to then help understand other materials. (The publisher sells direct; gently caress Amazon.)

Also don't forget that applying knowledge is a critical part of learning.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

As for how notes are determined and what frequencies they are, the Wikipedia articles about them are pretty readable imo. This one is good to start with: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A440_(pitch_standard)

You're gonna love how the modern western scale is determined: just multiply each frequency by 2^(1/12) to get the next half step up.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

cruft posted:

You're gonna love how the modern western scale is determined: just multiply each frequency by 2^(1/12) to get the next half step up.

Yeah, we went through centuries of fiddling about with different compromises, making the thirds a little sweeter at the cost of the fifths and so on, and then just went "gently caress it, just divide the octave by twelve that's good enough."

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

We still use different tunings in various contexts. A choir singing a capella sings in just intonation, they don’t bother trying to align with a piano unless they’re singing with one. It came up once in the music theory thread but I’m deeply curious if fretless bass players play in just intonation or not; I don’t see why they wouldn’t but if they’re playing with fretted instruments/piano then I imagine they would necessarily adjust.

When you learn a wind instrument at a high level you learn which notes on your instrument are built out of tune because physics makes it impossible to build one that fits ANY tuning system. That’s why clarinets have so many keys, it’s an attempt to work around it as much as possible, but the instrument still has some bad notes. Don’t even get me started on trumpets lol.

Anyway tuning systems are a fun rabbit hole just like most music things. I really want to learn more about ragas someday, the concept is so different from western theory and it seems so cool

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

We still use different tunings in various contexts. A choir singing a capella sings in just intonation, they don’t bother trying to align with a piano unless they’re singing with one. It came up once in the music theory thread but I’m deeply curious if fretless bass players play in just intonation or not; I don’t see why they wouldn’t but if they’re playing with fretted instruments/piano then I imagine they would necessarily adjust.

When you learn a wind instrument at a high level you learn which notes on your instrument are built out of tune because physics makes it impossible to build one that fits ANY tuning system. That’s why clarinets have so many keys, it’s an attempt to work around it as much as possible, but the instrument still has some bad notes. Don’t even get me started on trumpets lol.

Anyway tuning systems are a fun rabbit hole just like most music things. I really want to learn more about ragas someday, the concept is so different from western theory and it seems so cool

I'm using just intonation for the electronic bagpipes I'm building, because I am a huge nerd and I think this sort of stuff is cool.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

timp posted:

I know this is low effort but to get you pointed in the right direction: what you want to learn about is Music Theory. As for it having more of a mathematical bent, I learned most of what I know about sound in physics class, not music!

Ahh, that makes sense. Definitely helpful, thanks.

Hawkperson posted:

I would suggest piano or another keyboard instrument because most of what you’re asking is most easily visualized on one. As for how notes are determined and what frequencies they are, the Wikipedia articles about them are pretty readable imo. This one is good to start with: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A440_(pitch_standard)

I haven't gotten back to this yet, but it looks good. I'll definitely read it over later.

I only understood like half of this, but just seeing that spectrum analyzer demonstration blew my mind. Seeing that instruments are actually playing the same fundamental note, even though they may sound different, has already helped notes make more sense to me.

ColdPie posted:

I really like "How Music Really Works" by Wayne Chase. It's a little windy at times, but covers the physics and then builds Western music theory on top of that, eg explaining why we have the notes we do, why scales are constructed as they are, why we divide time, and then gets into harmony and melody and songwriting using those blocks. I found it very helpful for getting "the language" to then help understand other materials. (The publisher sells direct; gently caress Amazon.)

Also don't forget that applying knowledge is a critical part of learning.

I was not expecting such a large book, but I saw the publisher has some real good bundle discounts going on, so I grabbed one. That looks like it will probably be exactly what I was looking for. I think that combined with a super simple intro book to cover basic definitions will be perfect.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Can I get a link to the music (instrument/making/recording/etc) discord, please?

E: v thank you!

zelah fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 24, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

zelah posted:

Can I get a link to the music (instrument/making/recording/etc) discord, please?
Here you go!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Good lords I keep confusing myself and I feel like I'm going to rip out what little hair I have left. Someone please explain this to me as I think I've been understanding thing incorrectly.

I have an amp head (200watts), and I have a 2x12 cabinet (60w+60w=120watts). I'm adding an additional cabinet to my setup, a 2x15 (200watts+150watts=300watts).
All speakers are all 16Ω and wired in parallel, so each cabinet is being treated as being 8Ω. Sensitivity for each speaker is within 2db of each other.
My amp has two cabinet outputs rated at 4/8Ω, I know I can run both cabinets at 8Ω and have no issues in regards to impedance per the manual.

What I don't know however is if my amp is powerful enough to run these 4 speakers safely.
I don't know if I'm supposed to treat each cabinet output on the amp as 200watts, or if each output is rated at 100watts at 8Ω for a total of 200watts as some others are. I do see the following in my manual:
  • Speaker 1 Output: 8 ohms, 200 W minimum recommended rating
  • Speaker 2 Output: 4 ohms, 200 W minimum recommended rating
To me this seems like it's supplying 200watts per cabinet output (as long as I have it dialed to 200w on the master dial) correct?

Now, from what I understand it's normally recommended to have around twice as much amplifier power compared to a speaker’s power rating (according to google at least) so as to be able to supply continuous power. Does that mean that optimally I should only be looking for 100watt speaker cabinets if I want to run 2 cabinets 24/7? That seems... off.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaker ratings are maximum wattages. The coil inside will burn out if you overload it.

The ratings on amplifier outputs are recommended minimums, to ensure you have beefy enough speakers.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Would anyone know why some of my plugins appear tiny in Reason? Specifically I've found it to be an issue with the Soundtoys plugins and iZotope Ozone. The Arturia V Collection has resizable windows, so it hasn't been an issue with those. But with the Soundtoys plugins, those don't have a resize option so they're in really small little windows and it's hard to read the text on them. Same goes for Ozone. I was using Ozone 8 and the text in the Maximizer (like the peak/RMS numbers) were really hard to read, and I saw that Ozone 9 had resizability so I upgraded to 9, but even with resizing the window, the numbers are still really hard to read :(

This has been happening since I upgraded to Reason 12, because prior to that, I'd been using plugins in Reason for years without this issue.

I'm using Reason 12 (running the latest update) on Windows 11 Pro and I have a 4K monitor. I wish I had another DAW so I could see if this is an issue there too but I don't.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Reaper freeware is a quick install if you just wanna check

looks like you're not the only one having problems though:
https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/4416355436946-My-VST-panels-are-too-small-in-Reason-12-2-4-on-Windows

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

My small question is:

how does Reverb paying you work? I assume it's held til they get the thing? What about shipping?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

JamesKPolk posted:

Reaper freeware is a quick install if you just wanna check

looks like you're not the only one having problems though:
https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/4416355436946-My-VST-panels-are-too-small-in-Reason-12-2-4-on-Windows
Huh, so that solution actually seems to work for the Soundtoys plugins and for Valhalla Shimmer (which I forgot to mention in my previous post), though not for Ozone. When I did it to Ozone, it made the text even smaller and resizing the window didn't work :negative:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

My small question is:

how does Reverb paying you work? I assume it's held til they get the thing? What about shipping?

Generally they send you funds after the item has legitimately shipped. I typically purchase shipping labels through them, so there might be some further delay if you buy one independently.

Oh, hah. This is the more definitive guide: https://help.reverb.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002778613-How-to-Get-Paid-with-Reverb-Payments-

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
also posted in the Bass thread, but i guess it's not bass-specific. for background, I read music (high school band nerd) but am frequently puzzled by the things i see in rhythm charts.

what is meant by the following on a rhythm/lead sheet for a piece of music i'm supposed to learn: "Bass - soft upper range diamonds." ?

it occurs to me that this might be included in some assumed fundamentals i've missed since this stuff isn't in band literature. a follow-up question: is there a guide to reading rhythm charts i should read/learn first?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
In my experience, playing diamonds is playing chords on the one beats only. For bass, I would guess play just the root note on the one beat and in this case somewhere higher up on the neck

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

diamonds/footballs/eggs/etc is a reference to the shape of the note heads for whole notes

things like this aren’t fundamentals and aren’t technically correct (just write out the notes), they’re things players say in rehearsals/on recording sessions that’ve been colloquially added to the vernacular

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005

Jazz Marimba posted:

diamonds/footballs/eggs/etc is a reference to the shape of the note heads for whole notes

there aren't any note heads shaped like that for like 50 measures after that instruction appears.

Jazz Marimba posted:

things like this aren’t fundamentals and aren’t technically correct (just write out the notes), they’re things players say in rehearsals/on recording sessions that’ve been colloquially added to the vernacular

i was afraid of that! thanks!

nine16thsdago fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 17, 2022

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

nine16thsdago posted:

there aren't any note heads shaped like that for like 50 measures after that instruction appears.

since you said it’s a rhythm chart/lead sheet, i’m guessing it’s got time slashes or the melody. text instructions like that are meant to supersede any written material as they were likely added during the rehearsal process, after the chart was written

can you post a picture of the chart?

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005

Jazz Marimba posted:

since you said it’s a rhythm chart/lead sheet, i’m guessing it’s got time slashes or the melody. text instructions like that are meant to supersede any written material as they were likely added during the rehearsal process, after the chart was written

can you post a picture of the chart?

in the pic is the song intro which is actually written out in a split staff (which is why i'm wondering what i'm missing). after this it's all slash notation until the bridge-ish.

so it seems like the bass staff is what i should play, except 8va? if so, why not just write that?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

nine16thsdago posted:

so it seems like the bass staff is what i should play, except 8va? if so, why not just write that?

As an idiot composer, may I posit that the composer is just an idiot?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Did someone say my name?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I heard the thread was looking for idiot composers?

Well, here I am.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

there are full-time jobs that take the idiot composer's printed out MIDI and make it playable by human beings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

yeah sheet music engraving is its own thing and I wish I were better at it myself