Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thank goodness I’ve only ever bought Cocoa-Cola and Nestle products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

eh not that big

🍎🍃🚫📏🌳

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

christmas boots posted:

Discounting the old golden age stuff that was tied in later, the Marvel universe began with Fantastic Four #1 on November 01, 1961.

Going by the typical definition of "Baby Boomer" as people born between 1946-1964, the oldest boomers would have been about 15 or so right in prime comic book reading age.

Being a Marvel fan is, in fact, the most Boomer thing you can be.

gonna stuff you in a retro 60s style school locker, where boomer nerds belong

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

tokin opposition posted:

gonna stuff you in a retro 60s style school locker, where boomer nerds belong

but I don’t wanna hang out with marvel fans

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/status/1510633949827063814
both tweets that are showing are some pretty drat hot takes. forgot about fallujah and thinks that the couple thousand civilians that have died in ukraine is more than the at minimum 200,000 in iraq

fermun has issued a correction as of 01:55 on Apr 4, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
:vince:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

fermun posted:

both tweets that are showing are some pretty drat hot takes. forgot about fallujah and thinks that the couple thousand civilians that have died in ukraine is more than the at minimum 200,000 in iraq

Predicate A: bad guys kill a lot of people
Predicate B: I am not a bad guy
Conclusion: we didn't kill a lot of people

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
by at least an order of magnitude*

*pick whichever scale works if any idc who gives a gently caress russia bad USA good

first* and second* hand observations

*this is very mathematical and logical

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

sounds like someone needs to pay his employees to salt his competitors

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What do I care if you're at a disadvantage? Sounds like you're interchangeable. Replaceable.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
lmao, he's doubling down.
https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/status/1510793889950613510

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't care if I'm just lifting content straight from an already-hot-takes account

https://twitter.com/china_takes/status/1510774601483128836

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't care if I'm just lifting content straight from an already-hot-takes account

https://twitter.com/china_takes/status/1510774601483128836

Didn't BL make movies in Hong Kong or is that what makes it a hot take

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't BL make movies in Hong Kong or is that what makes it a hot take
that's the hot take

the question is whether it's deliberate sovereign HK erasure, there were definitely ongoing protests at around that time

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

fermun posted:

I haven't reviewed empirical research over the years, but just based on 1st- and 2nd- hand observation (tweets), I feel safe estimating more people were harmed by the will smith slap than the second boer war

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Breakfast All Day posted:

I haven't reviewed empirical research over the years, but just based on 1st- and 2nd- hand observation (tweets), I feel safe estimating more people were harmed by the will smith slap than the second boer war

People or libs :smug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FFT posted:

that's the hot take

the question is whether it's deliberate sovereign HK erasure, there were definitely ongoing protests at around that time

pretty sure it's dumb american racism/cultural blind spot but idk I am definitely not reading that bullshit

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Flesh Forge posted:

pretty sure it's dumb american racism/cultural blind spot but idk I am definitely not reading that bullshit

it’s Hindu nationalism you lazy dog

https://tfiglobalnews.com/2021/11/30/bruce-lee-a-scam-that-ccp-created-to-build-a-myth-of-chinas-martial-superiority/

quote:

Bruce Lee – a scam that CCP created to build a myth of China’s martial superiority

Chinese history is full of humiliations, but the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) only wants to accept the century of humiliation starting with the unequal treaties with the western powers. Almost half of the dynasties which have ruled China have been established by the tribal forces which trampled over the Han civilisation and established their rule.

While the world may be fascinated by Chinese martial history, the fact remains, that these martial arts had lost time and again in front of the nomadic tribes, which goes on to show that they are more entertaining than effective. These historical memories are deeply ingrained into the Chinese psychic, making them a naturally subservient population.

This was a problem for the CCP, which wanted to recruit a proud and confident army in modern times. This is where the myth of the supreme martial artist Bruce Lee came into the picture. It was one of the earliest examples of CCP’s attempt at large scale narrative building. The mystique around Bruce Lee was created to promote the supposed superiority of Chinese martial arts, and thereby instill it in their population pride, notwithstanding if it is true or false, as long as it helped boost the morale.

The sham of Bruce Lee:

Bruce Lee was the only martial artist in the world who rose to the status of god, without ever fighting a single sanctioned bout. While it is easy to stage a trick, real fighting necessitates skill. Mutually agreed bouts are the sure-shot ways of making sure if the flashy Chinese martial arts hold any weight in a real-time brawl. He is the best illustration of how the media can persuade people to believe something and even defend it to the point of being enraged if their beliefs are ever called into question. We’re all aware that Chinese martial arts are cults, which makes any criticism and questioning difficult, and this has been proven from time to time.

The CCP propaganda made sure that the reality is kept hidden, while providing an air of mystique around the image of Bruce Lee in front of common Chinese people. In cases of martial cults in China, the people have been programmed to believe that their “master” is the most powerful person on the planet. This is also true of Lee’s supporters. Lee is a god special among others in their limited imagination. They even believe he can compete against professional fighters of the contemporary era. Some even believe he is capable of defeating the finest MMA fighters. They’re allowing nostalgia and fantasy to get in the way of rational thought.

Chinese Kung Fu was derived from India:

The proof lies in the origin story of Bodhidharma. As a prince, he lived in South India in the 5th (or 6th) century AD. His siblings plotted against him and deposed him from his reign. This prince subsequently abdicated his throne and became Bodhidharma, a Buddhist monk. For several years, he lived with his guru, who told him to move north and share the word of Buddhism. When Bodhidharma’s instructor died, he duly set out, walking all the way to China. According to mythology, his nephew thoughtfully dispatched forward carrier pigeons, requesting the Chinese people to look after him.

Also read: After the wimps of PLA got their necks snapped by Indians, China sends Martial Arts fighters to Ladakh border https://tfipost.com/2020/06/after-the-wimps-of-pla-got-their-necks-snapped-by-indians-china-sends-martial-arts-fighters-to-ladakh/

Bodhidharma saw the monks at the Shaolin monastery exhausted from meditation and fasting. He passed onto them the martial arts skills that he had learnt as a young prince: the magnificent art of Kalaripayattu. The famous Shaolin Kung Fu warrior monks were born as a result of this. This is where the origin of Chinese Shaolin Kung Fu can be traced. Similarly, other forms of martial arts too have their origins among the nomadic tribes of Mongolia, as well as Japanese variations of martial arts.

Tarantino’s ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ calling out the sham of Bruce Lee’s martial superiority:

Quentin Tarantino added his impudent voice to the discussion, when he characterised Lee, played by actor and martial artist Mike Moh, as a vainglorious braggart who gets into a brawl with Brad Pitt’s Cliff Booth, a stuntman and former Green Beret, in Tarantino’s revisionist adventure – ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ (OUATIH).

Tarantino told on Joe Rogan’s podcast, that Lee wouldn’t have a chance against Booth.

“If Cliff fought Bruce Lee at a Madison Square Garden martial arts tournament, he would not stand a chance,” Tarantino said. “But as a killer who has killed men before in a jungle, he would kill Bruce Lee. He’d f—ing kill him! Bruce Lee is not a killer. He’s facing a guy who could kill him, it’s a different story. It’s in the book when Bruce realizes Cliff is taking a military combat stance, he realizes Cliff is a killer.”

While the point made by Tarantino was well reasoned, the people have been fed with a consistent narrative that makes them blind to all the proof available. The CCP’s hand behind creating the myth of China’s martial supremacy by promoting Bruce Lee is so serious, that anyone who tries to bust the myth gets punished by CCP.

Furthermore, Bruce Lee’s first encounter with Gene LeBell, a two-time national champion judoka and famed Hollywood stuntman who is credited with popularising grappling in North America, is modelled in part on the battle in OUATIH. In 1966, they met on the set of “The Green Hornet”, where LeBell grabbed up the yet-unknown actor, slung him over his shoulders, and carried him around the set in a fireman’s hoist.

China’s myth-busting MMA fighter has been socially demonised:

In China, the battle for the soul of martial arts is approaching a century. It’s a debate between proponents of traditional tactics, and others who believe that if the arts don’t operate in the real world, they don’t work at all. Xu Xiaodong, 42, is a Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighter on a quest to expose ‘false’ martial arts. By challenging Chinese ‘grandmasters’ to fights and then pummeling them to defeat in seconds, Xiaodong earned the moniker ‘Mad Dog’.

Xiaodong takes down the greats of Tai Chi, Wing Chun, and Kung Fu one by one in filmed bouts that go popular on Chinese social media. All of this is part of his myth-busting approach to actual combat, which has left many traditional martial artists in the dust, because techniques that work in theory do not always work in practice.

Also read: China’s power is overrated and Chinese culture is a myth https://tfiglobalnews.com/2016/09/06/china-chinese-myth/

The explanation is straightforward, and it points to a very real facet of Chinese life: Xiaodong’s social credit score is in the drains. With a ‘D’ classification, Xiaodong is only allowed to travel in second-class trains and flights. He can’t ride bullet trains, which is why it took him 36 hours to get to his most recent fight, where he knocked out a “pressure-point” striking Wing Chun ‘master’ in under a minute, according to an SCMP 2019 report.

The example of Xiaodong gives out a larger trend, that is, anyone who tries to bust the myth of China’s martial superiority will be punished. CCP does not want to lose the narrative which has been built for such a long time and nurtured by the myth of the superior fighting style of Bruce Lee. However, the example of this Chinese MMA fighter who has been vilified by the Chinese troll army as well as CCP, also busts the myth of China’s martial superiority

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

The author is definitely correct that most traditional martial arts are totally useless against invading armies and trained opponents

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

NeatHeteroDude posted:

The author is definitely correct that most traditional martial arts are totally useless against invading armies and trained opponents

Krav Maga is probably the worst offender, but I still appreciate that the first couple of principles are things like "try not getting into a fight in the first place idiot. run if you can. Do you have a gun? use that, dumbass."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Krav Maga more like KRAP MAGA amirite

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

christmas boots posted:

Krav Maga is probably the worst offender, but I still appreciate that the first couple of principles are things like "try not getting into a fight in the first place idiot. run if you can. Do you have a gun? use that, dumbass."

That's smart and definitely the way to go. I competed in mma for almost a decade and still got to see what it was like when someone sucker headbutts you or more than one person wants to beat you up when my buddies would go out and start fights at the bars. It's really insane how many traditional martial arts include parts about fighting multiple opponents lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IIRC there was something I read a long time ago about how back when certain forms of martial arts were initially developed and used in a warfare context they probably would have been fairly different than the more ritualized and I guess "formal" forms that you see now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

hot take: martial arts are a bunch of dumb bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_nPsiUNhl0

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The best part of kung fu is how "kung fu" just means like, "a skill acquired through work"

wikipedia posted:

In China, it refers to any study, learning, or practice that requires patience, energy, and time to complete. In its original meaning, kung fu can refer to any discipline or skill achieved through hard work and practice, not necessarily martial arts (for example, the discipline of tea making is called the Gongfu tea ceremony). The Chinese literal equivalent of "Chinese martial art" would be 中國武術 zhōngguó wǔshù.[1]
and yeah, that poo poo is hard work! doesn't mean it actually works in combat or anything but yeah

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
gonna hadoken the gently caress out of this rear end in a top hat hold my beer bra

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Buck Wildman posted:

gonna hadoken the gently caress out of this rear end in a top hat hold my beer bra

just wear a sports beer bra op

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
have you considered martial arts look really cool and a are a fun way to stay fit :)

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Kitfox88 posted:

have you considered martial arts look really cool and a are a fun way to stay fit :)

It's true and nice

Guns are like martial arts from a long way away

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Someone who has practised fighting is obviously better off than someone who hasn't, and someone who's been in real fights is better off than someone who's only practised.

There are a lot of doughy guys with neither experience, who think "If I ever had to fight for my life I'd win with my righteous anger!"

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/daniela127/status/1510041320148119560

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Chuck "The Cuck" Norris has said he could have beaten Bruce Lee up for real, because he is a karate champion (in sport karate which is like fencing in that you don't actually hit each other you place blows for points)

Not relevant to the conversation but I hate Chuck Norris

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

drat. That is one hell of a take.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lmao I thought for sure that had to be a parody or a gag but skimming her profile and nope this is actually what she meant to say and have taken seriously

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Chuck "The Cuck" Norris has said he could have beaten Bruce Lee up for real, because he is a karate champion (in sport karate which is like fencing in that you don't actually hit each other you place blows for points)

Not relevant to the conversation but I hate Chuck Norris

back in the 90s my cousin's dentist was in a martial arts tournament and beat the poo poo out of Chuck Norris.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Chamale posted:

Someone who has practised fighting is obviously better off than someone who hasn't, and someone who's been in real fights is better off than someone who's only practised.

There are a lot of doughy guys with neither experience, who think "If I ever had to fight for my life I'd win with my righteous anger!"

thank you for acknowledging the 2 incredibly obese guys at my job who spend every lunch break theorycrafting how hard they would win hypothetical fights

one time they were discussing the pros and cons of jumpkicking off the wall to roundhouse kick someone in the head if that someone pulled a gun and its like dudes if you tried that youd break most all of your bones and put a hole in the drywall

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Spergin Morlock posted:

back in the 90s my cousin's dentist was in a martial arts tournament and beat the poo poo out of Chuck Norris.

Good

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

blatman posted:

thank you for acknowledging the 2 incredibly obese guys at my job who spend every lunch break theorycrafting how hard they would win hypothetical fights

one time they were discussing the pros and cons of jumpkicking off the wall to roundhouse kick someone in the head if that someone pulled a gun and its like dudes if you tried that youd break most all of your bones and put a hole in the drywall

It's really silly to jump off a wall when you can make a smaller movement more quickly by jumping at an angle towards your target and kicking them that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
She deleted lol