Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

windshipper posted:

I am the idiot. I hit up the international legion asking for more information about providing medical help. I have the training, the knowledge, etc, from 10 years in EMS. I know that’s not battlefield, and my patient population isn’t 20 year olds with GSWs on average (but I have treated that). So we’ll see. Right now, I just want more information, and maybe I’ll go with an NGO instead. I’m divorced, no kids. Pretty much right in the golden circle of no responsibilities other than my day job.

That said, international legion does also have an option for no military experience, no combat experience, plz don’t send me there. Which is my realm.

Yeah I'd look up NGOs first and see if you can do something with them rather than go forward and put yourself at high risk of dying in a trench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Don't get any dumb ideas Caro.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Have you considered YOLO

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Voyager I posted:

A while ago I mentioned that a suit of medieval armor I'd ordered from a Ukrainian smithy had been completed and shipped out during the siege. I sent them an email expressing my gratitude, but it essentially condensed to holy poo poo. This was the email they sent me in response.

To emphasize, this wasn't online posturing - this email was sent while the city was still being pressed by the Russians on three sides. This is an example of bravery from ordinary folk that will be hard to forget.

...on a less reverent note, just imagine trying to occupy a city filled with people like this.

This dude is welding spikes on his salvaged Russian tank in preparation of going full road warrior as we speak and I will not entertain any "facts" to the contrary.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
How about rather than getting yourself killed in Ukraine you go volunteer at a local free clinic

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Signing up for the International Legion requires you to serve until Martial Law is lifted. Additionally, despite your EMS training they've put out some statements not that long ago that they're only the looking for ex-mil trained individuals. It seems likely that you'd end up in Lviv not doing a whole lot.

If you did end up getting deployed to a forward position, be advised that the Russians already announced quite some time ago that they would not consider captured war tourists as enemy combatants.

Don't throw your life away. Donate the money you'd use to go there to the handful of legit charities actually helping people over there.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My sister is the principal of an international school in Kyiv, currently in Riga before flying back to the states at the end of the month. All of her teachers have been released from their contracts so they can seek employment elsewhere but she’ll be under contract for at least next year in the hope they can get the school going again. I am not sure what her residency plan for next year is, I know it’s not easy to work a Ukrainian clock in Mountain Standard. So I expect she’ll be back in Europe somewhere and would be surprised it’s not their house in Kyiv if possible.

I do GIS work for an electric utility (and could probably learn gas or water in a hurry). My current role is an analyst, but I supported new construction for large projects and transmission groups prior to Covid (unrelated change with very convenient timing). I’m trying to figure out the logistics of going to Kyiv for awhile to work the reconstruction. Not sure if or how it could work but if anyone has a good idea where to start lmk.

Edit: not a war tourism thing at all, I can wait until Russia has completely retreated.

highme fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 5, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

windshipper posted:

I am the idiot. I hit up the international legion asking for more information about providing medical help. I have the training, the knowledge, etc, from 10 years in EMS. I know that’s not battlefield, and my patient population isn’t 20 year olds with GSWs on average (but I have treated that). So we’ll see. Right now, I just want more information, and maybe I’ll go with an NGO instead. I’m divorced, no kids. Pretty much right in the golden circle of no responsibilities other than my day job.

That said, international legion does also have an option for no military experience, no combat experience, plz don’t send me there. Which is my realm.
I can seriously empathize with the compulsion to take concrete action like that. As much as we rightly mock the dangerous idiots passionate for the chance to get their war on, the compulsion to try to make some difference is real, especially in light of the latest reports of Russian atrocities. But the voices above urging caution and recommending channeling those feelings into local action are right. Unless you speak passable Ukrainian or Russian, your ability to effectively make a difference on the ground is probably pretty limited, regardless of your EMS experience.

Your impact is probably going to be greater with boring thing like finding a way to help more at home, donating money, decarbonizing your lifestyle, and even just talking about the war with the people around you. There's a lot of folks either not paying attention or hearing Russian propaganda who could benefit from the viewpoint of someone they trust.

If you must go, it's probably best to explore the NGO route thoroughly first. See if you can get a call with folks in the same role over there to better understand what you're committing to and whether you're up to it. It's also worth a healthy look in the mirror to reflect on your motivations. There are significantly worse reasons than "I want to help and there's not much holding me back," just make sure you're as fully cognizant of it as possible.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

GD_American posted:

Had one of those “farted in church” laughs (you know, not supposed to laugh, harder you try worse it gets) picturing him cutely bouncing thru the field, an explosion, then a single frame later an obvious stuffed animal replacement flying off in the air going ARF ARF ARF like it’s a Zucker Abrams Zucker movie.

Maybe it’s an irrational reaction to having viewed that other tweet, knowing I shouldn’t have looked.

Good dog tho. Go save those lives

Goddamn you. I pulled my back something fierce an hour ago. Still hurts like a motherfucker.
And then you get me to laugh.
A good laugh that I really needed after *gestures vaguely at yesterday*, but fuuuck that hurt.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I wonder if you'd be better looking at doctors without borders or similar

MSF is hard without one of their in demand specialties. They also want dedicated people, not tourists. You also don't really get to choose where you go so a good chance it's Africa.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Volunteer to be Putin’s doctor

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
arcade gammon

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
new cope cage just dropped

(it didn't work)

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

McNally posted:

Your smugness is unwarranted. All that "dunking" was people saying "there's no way Russia could pull off an organized withdrawal," which you never bothered responding to and then, oh look, Russia emphatically did not pull off an organized withdrawal.

You don't get to roll in, say something along the lines of "Russia can get them out if they wanted to, it's just an easy stroll home" which sounds enough alike to "yeah, it won't be a problem for Russia to get those guys out in an organized manner" that several people say "there's no way to get them out in an organized manner" to which you don't bother to respond and then come in later and say "I told you guys I was right!"

That's not moving goalposts. That's moving the whole loving stadium.

Er. If you look at my original post, I wasn't claiming they could do an organized withdrawal, I claimed that they could get the men out. It's right there in the end, I expected them to have to leave most of the heavy equipment behind. I just didn't think it was realistic to expect a lot of Russians as prisoners (or trapped in the pocket), which they weren't. Because they could get out in the unorganized manner, by just walking north.

Also, love the av. Much better than the original.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

Er. If you look at my original post, I wasn't claiming they could do an organized withdrawal, I claimed that they could get the men out. It's right there in the end, I expected them to have to leave most of the heavy equipment behind. I just didn't think it was realistic to expect a lot of Russians as prisoners (or trapped in the pocket), which they weren't. Because they could get out in the unorganized manner, by just walking north.

I guess I'm failing to understand why you're making a big deal out of this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

new cope cage just dropped

(it didn't work)

Is not cope cage

Shoigu pay top dollar for wood

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tuna-Fish posted:

:actually:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

windshipper posted:

I get it dude. I’m a former infantry LT, the last few days of news from Ukraine have my blood loving boiling, and I’m my former position would probably make me a candidate that they’d like to have.

Except, my time is past. I’m mid-30’s, bad back, and came away with a case of sad-brains from the first time around (working for a combat hospital in Afghanistan, not even an actual firefight; just lots of wounded and a good friend that committed suicide after coming home). Also, I don’t own a weapon or armor…but either of those could probably be acquired fast, for the right price. It’d be a lot of effort to do that, and to get myself/my gear to Ukraine.

It’d be a ton of effort, and the odds of getting bullseye’d by a Russian missile (because an idiot whose language you don’t speak) forgot to turn off his phone are too high. Or you’re surrounded by people yelling in 5 different languages, and you don’t understand someone yelling in Romanian, Portuguese, or German “CONTACT 9 O CLOCK, ENEMY TROOPS AND TRANSPORT BEHIND COVER, 150M” until you’ve got a BMP expressing itself in your general direction with its autocannon, and it’s too late.

On a language note, doing medical interviews in other languages is hard. I’ve done them in Spanish (Honduras and Panama), and it didn’t get much less awkward over time. You’d likely have to have a terp, which is going to be someone who has to babysit you instead of doing whatever else it was they were originally doing.

Go with an NGO, preferably a good one that would pull you out when if circumstances dictate (and has a plan to do so). Also, it’s probably good to have an escape plan that doesn’t involve whatever org you’re there with (as your backup, for if you end up in a place where things really go to hell).

I’ve donated some money already, and will do more once I get paid again. This is probably the extent of what I can meaningfully contribute. It’s not much, but it’s the best I can do from here/for myself.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
My boss mentioned a trip to Finland to one of our divisions and I'm like dude that would be a terrible idea. I'm one bad news article away from whoops a doodling over the border

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Russian conscript: “Sir We have caught American yankee spy of the west in Karelia”

*meanwhile in Finland*

*mobile sauna division fires up*

“We are coming for you amerikkalainen friend”

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Tuna-Fish posted:

"afternoon hike through a bog" still makes me lol

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Sounds like the British High Command describing passchendael or something

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Now look fellas, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our boots muddy...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nz's opposition party is calling for us to send Javelins to Ukraine. Do we even have them to send? I have no idea of the capabilities of our military beyond "lol"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nz's opposition party is calling for us to send Javelins to Ukraine. Do we even have them to send? I have no idea of the capabilities of our military beyond "lol"

In the US, our opposition party is attacking Biden for not sending S300 systems, MiGs, and Javelins.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

In the US, our opposition party is attacking Biden for not sending S300 systems, MiGs, and Javelins.

Which is funny because the US is sending the first and 3rd things, and is probably trying to get them the second thing on the sly.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When this came up originally a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure I heard we have like, 20-something, lol.

E) Also iirc the response at the time was that they'd offered to send them but the number was so small Ukr turned them down

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

lightpole posted:

https://hbr.org/2017/05/linear-thinking-in-a-nonlinear-world

Linear thinking combined with everything W. Edwards Deming hated. Add in a lack of imagination and desire to justify their life.

Sorry I saw this quote and had to point it out.

Harvard Business Review posted:

Of course, willfully exploiting consumers’ flawed perceptions of attribute-benefit relationships is a questionable marketing strategy. It’s widely regarded as unethical for companies to take advantage of customers’ ignorance.

Picture an :ironicat: growing in a nonlinear fashion.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Carth Dookie posted:

Which is funny because the US is sending the first and 3rd things, and is probably trying to get them the second thing on the sly.

In theory how hard would it be to slap a MiG on a flatbread and ship it across the border to the nearest straight stretch of road?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In theory how hard would it be to slap a MiG on a flatbread and ship it across the border to the nearest straight stretch of road?

We talking focaccia or pita?

Frankie
Feb 22, 2006

Oh, so you want to ship them via Subway?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You'd need one hell of an oven to bake that! :v:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Having walked through quite a few bogs in my time, I cannot imagine walking any more than a couple hundred yards through a bog. Even if you're properly geared for it, it's exhausting, muddy, wet, bug filled experience that may or may not claim bits of your clothing. Trying to retreat miles through a bog carrying anything more than a little bit of food and some water would be downright miserable, and absolutely exhausting experience that would take days even if you're completely sure of the route. And it would be absolutely deadly if you're trying to retreat in 2/3rds of a soldiers uniform (the other third sold off to line your SNCO's pocket) through a frozen bog in the middle of winter. Tbh, if my group of soldiers is surrounded on three sides by angry Ukrainians and on one side by a icy, recently reflooded bog, I might honestly pick surrendering because my surest chances of survival would be better.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Eucharist for St Javelin.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tiny Timbs posted:

I was thinking lavash or naan.

Oh and for the record I noticed the typo before I hit submit but thought it was too funny to correct.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Tiny Timbs posted:

well, it'd be an enormous pita, which i suppose answers the original question

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1511292509619568640

:stare:

I've said this before, but this is something I'd call someone an idiot for if I saw them doing it in ArmA, let alone in a real-life war against an enemy with active air defenses.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
efb slightly

Looking like the Ukrainians we're able to Battlefield themselves a chopper:

https://twitter.com/myrrlyn/status/1511326580508872710?t=E7M_-lsoC4zP-P3lnOZpzA&s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spoggerific posted:

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1511292509619568640

:stare:

I've said this before, but this is something I'd call someone an idiot for if I saw them doing it in ArmA, let alone in a real-life war against an enemy with active air defenses.

I did it in Bad Company 2 all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Can we stop with the half-baked puns and get this thread back on topic? I’m not trying to butter up McNally or FV by backseat modding but the joke has run its course and it’s time to baguette.