Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i fully believe they'll do yearly vaccines for covid that are "optional" and cost money, specifically targeted at rich people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Well it'd be nice if they'd fuckin get around to it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australia is already pivoting to seasonal 'booster' shots for key demographics:

quote:

ATAGI recommends an additional booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine to increase vaccine protection before winter for selected population groups (see Table 1) who are at greatest risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and who have received their primary vaccination and first booster dose. These groups are:

- Adults aged 65 years and older
- Residents of aged care or disability care facilities
- People aged 16 years and older with severe immunocompromise (as defined in the ATAGI statement on the use of a 3rd primary dose of COVID-19 vaccine in individuals who are severely immunocompromised)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 years and older.

The additional winter booster dose can be given from 4 months or longer after the person has received their first booster dose, or from 4 months after a confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection, if infection occurred since the person’s first COVID-19 booster dose.

ATAGI recommends that the rollout of the additional booster dose for these groups starts from April 2022, coinciding with the rollout of the 2022 influenza vaccination program.
https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi-statement-on-recommendations-on-a-winter-booster-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine

Everyone else is plumb outta luck

quote:

For other groups not listed above, there is insufficient evidence of the benefits of an additional booster dose to make recommendations at this time.

As for spread ...... the official position is that boosters don't stop spread

quote:

The secondary aims of the COVID-19 vaccination program are preventing infection and preventing transmission of the virus. There is limited evidence at this stage for additional booster doses to prevent transmission. Emerging evidence in relation to prevention of transmission by vaccination will continue to be monitored and additional booster doses may be recommended in additional groups in the future.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Well it'd be nice if they'd fuckin get around to it

lmao imagine if covid vaccines were updated annually like flu vaccines

would be nice

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Australia is already pivoting to seasonal 'booster' shots for key demographics.

drat must be nice

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lacrosse posted:

A bunch of my friends went to fucc n succs because of her tweets. One of them ended up dead of covid in January.

Tweet this at her. See how fast you get blocked

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

her breast milk was… 80% inorganic?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Chamale posted:

Tweet this at her. See how fast you get blocked

What good is getting in a slap fight with a corporate mouthpiece account going to do? People have picked their side.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

anime was right posted:

i fully believe they'll do yearly vaccines for covid that are "optional" and cost money, specifically targeted at rich people

So I know this is a popular sentiment but is this even viable? Everything I've learned about vaccines is that they aren't even worth making unless you're making a ton of them because of the time, resources and cost. I would assume a boutique vaccine market would be unlikely because 1) there aren't enough people rich enough to support such a market and 2) letting everyone else repeatedly get covid just leads to more variants that are able to evade vaccination, quickly making each new vaccine less effective, aka what literally happened. But again, not a virus doctor.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

toxicity 8/10. what is this, your dang posting???

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lacrosse posted:

What good is getting in a slap fight with a corporate mouthpiece account going to do? People have picked their side.

Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry for your loss, it's so frustrating that so little can be done.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Chamale posted:

Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry for your loss, it's so frustrating that so little can be done.

Thanks. I've torched enough of my friendships over this and I don't want to burn the remainder down. It's not worth it to me to argue with people anymore.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

8 out of 10 on a scale of what? Aren't lower numbers more toxic when it comes to toxicity? What did it taste like? I have so many questions.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fosborb posted:

drat must be nice

Well let's wait and see what percentage of those eligible groups actually take them up on the offer. :v:

Also it's not even updated variant-specific slutjuice, it'll just be the classic recipe vaxx

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Ma'am I regret to inform you that your titty milk is cobra venom, 8 out of 10, I am a doctor.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
got busy at work and missed 700 posts. is COVID not over?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pillowpants posted:

got busy at work and missed 700 posts. is COVID not over?

Covid is over for another 645 Americans

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Have high quality masks on FACE

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1510989959473373193

Weasel cope is out; upping my bets on XE being a big fucker.

reaches over to a nearby lever, and pulls it to a position labeled WEASELCON 3. The lighting turns amber.

Greg Legg posted:

Hahaha I just got an email that our big PBIS conference will now be held in person. This is hilarious because we already voted, and the majority wanted it to be virtual. Last week the organizer agreed to offer a "virtual option" for people that didn't want to attend in person, but that's gone now. We didn't get to vote on that.

Personally I don't really care because if I'm not exposed there I'm just exposed in another school. This is going to be near the end of April so if cases start rising it will be interesting to see how they respond. Being in public education rules so much.

My partner is dealing with this at work. They sent out surveys on remote work preferences, comfort levels, and client preferences. Of course, many employees and even clients expressed the desire to keep some things remote. They had multiple meetings to discuss the results of those surveys, and try to work out a hybrid plan that everyone was on board with.
Then a week or two ago they just said lol j/k everyone is going to the office full time again.
The weirdest part is that this is a non-profit, so it's not like there's the same urgency to throw bodies in the furnace to bump the bottom line up each quarter. However I'm sure at the end of the day the non-profit leadership comes from the same sociopath class as all the CEOs and they've passed notes to each other at brunch.

The HR where I work also had an astoundingly stupid and tone deaf presentation today where they are more or less going to start punishing people for taking too many sick days or using too much vacation. Meanwhile the HR director lady keeps losing her train of thought, saying obviously blunt and awkward things so that she came off worse than if she'd just been a jerk, and couldn't seem to even do basic math around the new policy numbers she was supposed to be presenting when asked a question about them. So per usual these days I start guessing about Covid brain.

Some kind of memo has to have gone out to all the HR drone fleets and they are desperately trying to claw back the old ways of the office no matter how arbitrary or nonsensical it looks.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don't think covid-19 by itself will do that but we already had an entire state power grid fail due to corruption and regulatory capture, causing hundreds of deaths due to the cold, and the leadership of that state said "get a generator, this is the cost of freedom" and flew to Cancun.

So what you're describing there is well on it's way to happening anyway. Covid might just accelerate the process a little.

:texas:
I need to move.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Ma'am I regret to inform you that your titty milk is cobra venom, 8 out of 10, I am a doctor.

That's why you always need to get the viperless milk.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jingoro posted:

My partner is dealing with this at work. They sent out surveys on remote work preferences, comfort levels, and client preferences. Of course, many employees and even clients expressed the desire to keep some things remote. They had multiple meetings to discuss the results of those surveys, and try to work out a hybrid plan that everyone was on board with.
Then a week or two ago they just said lol j/k everyone is going to the office full time again.
The weirdest part is that this is a non-profit, so it's not like there's the same urgency to throw bodies in the furnace to bump the bottom line up each quarter. However I'm sure at the end of the day the non-profit leadership comes from the same sociopath class as all the CEOs and they've passed notes to each other at brunch.

This is exactly the case. Nonprofits, like other organizations following the corporate model, are governed by the same class of people with the same background and training. Being a nonprofit has absolutely zero impact on the need of the directors of the organization to control their subordinates in time and space. There is hierarchy to reinforce and perks to protect. Productivity, employee wellbeing, health of the organization, etc. none of those things matter or have ever mattered.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A few more Australian news stories:

Identified cases in NSW may currently be around 50% underreported because people aren't bothering to alert the authorities about their positive rapid tests. Also booster uptake is real low

quote:

Doctors believe thousands of new COVID-19 cases each day are going unreported in NSW

NSW public health physicians believe the state's daily COVID-19 figures are at least 50 per cent higher than the reported number, due to unreported positive results.

Between 15,000 and 20,000 positive results are being recorded each day, which Health Minister Brad Hazzard described as a "big underestimate".

"Many people are not, it would appear, not actually reporting the positive cases," he said.

"We understand that they may have symptoms that are very mild and they just don't think it's necessary.

"We would like them to report it, because it helps us to track the COVID cases through our community."

NSW recorded 12 deaths and 19,183 new cases in the latest reporting period, with about 13,000 of those from rapid antigen tests.

Fifty-six of the 1,467 people in hospital are in intensive care.

quote:

Mr Hazzard said the single biggest issue for NSW remains that close to 40 per cent of those aged over 16 who are eligible for a booster have not had it.

"My strong advice to all of those people is go and get your booster," he said.

"It costs nothing but it could end up costing your life or another family member's life if you don't have it."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-05/doctors-say-thousands-of-covid19-cases-in-nsw-not-being-reported/100967202

Some bright spark in NSW thought to go and double check all the death certificates issued in that state since the pandemic started in case there'd been any which had mentioned covid as a contributing factor but which weren't included in the statistics and whoopsie-oopsie, there was a whole lot

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...se&country=~AUS

Even though that was only from one state it bumps up the national cumulative death toll by 6.5%

quote:

The data shows 82 per cent, or about 270 people, of the additional deaths, occurred from January this year during the peak of the first Omicron wave.

Another 58 died in 2021, coinciding with the peak of the Delta wave, and three were found to have died in 2020 when the original strain was present.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-01/nsw-covid-19-deaths-increase-death-certificate-checks/100959398

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1510989959473373193

Weasel cope is out; upping my bets on XE being a big fucker.

“This you?”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The more qualifiers officials use, the worse the situation is.

It doesn’t matter if the words themselves have good or bad connotations. The sheer number of them is the controlling factor.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Pretty hosed up to expect immunity from the previous variant for the next, what are you too good for new variants?

i still can’t fathom that no one sounded the alarm that lasting immunity against a coronavirus was never in the cards for the human immune system.

fosborb posted:

lmao imagine if covid vaccines were updated annually like flu vaccines

would be nice

the variant vaccine trials have been underwhelming, and no one is saying it, but this is original antigenic sin, isn’t it?

gg no re

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

Remember when Walensky ordered a review of CDC’s Trump‐era work?

Platystemon posted:

I looked up the documents at issue. The Reopening America PDF is a naked political document that should never have been linked by CDC, but it gets more insidious.

The testing page was edited to discourage individuals from getting tested, in what I can only assume was an attempt to cook the books on numbers that made Trump look worse, because it’s clearly bad public health policy.

”The Importance of Reopening America’s Schools this Fall” is the highlight. This document is a real piece of poo poo justifying cramming kids into classrooms for nebulous benefits while downplaying all risks.

This document got many title changes, eventually to the sanitized “Operating Schools”, but its bad guidance persisted into February of this year.

quote:

As part of your pledge to lead an effort to restore the public’s trust in the CDC, you asked me to begin a comprehensive review to ensure that all of CDC’s existing guidance related to COVID-19 is evidence- based and free of politics.
In response to the dynamic circumstances of emerging infections and public health emergency responses, CDC has customarily issued “interim” guidance documents that are updated as new information and insights are gained, once novel interventions become available including through emergency use authorization, or once research reveals greater certainty that permits strengthening or rejecting earlier interim recommendations. CDC staff have developed thousands of documents during the COVID-19 response, including foundational guidance documents that address major areas of concern as well as numerous subsidiary tools and resources adapted from the foundational guidance.

At your request, I led a process to rapidly assess the major or foundational guidance the agency had issued in order to identify primary documents that needed updating or removal. I also sought to identify practices that could strengthen the transparency of the evidentiary basis for CDC’s COVID-19 guidance.

quote:

The CDC will finalize production and reviews of remaining prioritized new guidance in the weeks ahead. In order to strengthen CDC’s scientific rationale and communication for existing and forthcoming guidance, I recommend:
  1. Use of scientific briefs or lists of supporting evidence for major new guidance documents. These need not be exhaustive but should make the scientific rationale for major changes easily accessible.
  2. Support transparency in messaging related to areas where the evidence-base is not sufficiently strong or where there are real tradeoffs between theoretic benefits/risks of a course of action and practical implementation barriers to a course of action.

I’m so glad we got the politics out of the CDC. 🤡

It’s a hoot that the guidance now is worse than it was under the Trump administration.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

“This you?”

lol that her job is to post C-SPAM-style “I’m sure it’s fine” in response to basically everything, except she’s not saying it ironically. And she has a huge following.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Which forum does she moderate?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Instagram is trying to serve ads to me, but what is this pathetic FFP1 poo poo?

coke
Jul 12, 2009
lol you got me started reading the other thread and thinking it was this thread, and went through the part where you are trying to show how ineffective the vax against omicron was even with a booster compare to earlier variants

well at least things are still mild

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

lol do any of these people realize that "it's still omicron" doesn't mean what they think it does?

and also no, no it's not omicron any more, of course.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ok, update: the PCR just came in positive. Entered into a clinical trial for Molnupiravir off the back of it, so that should help over the coming days. Still, this loving sucks.

Venomous has issued a correction as of 10:11 on Apr 5, 2022

Sep 2, 2011
all the world governments are forcing mass repeated, sustained infection on the world population and they're not even going to let anyone get more lovely, outdated, waning vaccines to protect themselves. they're not even bothering with making new ones. meanwhile the overwhelming majority of said population are acting as unpaid footsoldiers in this goal and openly spouting eugenics at those at most risk, blissfully denying that on infection 5 or 6 they'll be there too

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
just got a shipment notification on the case of 9211s i ordered from RS Hughes back in January

good thing i had money in my account lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Zugzwang posted:

lol that her job is to post C-SPAM-style “I’m sure it’s fine” in response to basically everything, except she’s not saying it ironically. And she has a huge following.

its a dream job honestly

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

loading... posted:

all the world governments are forcing mass repeated, sustained infection on the world population and they're not even going to let anyone get more lovely, outdated, waning vaccines to protect themselves. they're not even bothering with making new ones.

idk, this one's a couple years away but it might pan out

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04784767

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

coke posted:

lol you got me started reading the other thread and thinking it was this thread, and went through the part where you are trying to show how ineffective the vax against omicron was even with a booster compare to earlier variants

well at least things are still mild

They were pretty ornery on that page.

I haven’t posted in that thread since it got new management, but hardly anyone else does, either. :laugh:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

RealityWarCriminal posted:

paxlovid is free like the vaccine right

It’s not even reliably available if you have insurance that would pay for it, which makes the ‘have a plan to get antivirals’ line pretty stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the plan isn’t “have several comorbidities”, “have several million dollars”, or “have an inside man”, it’s a poo poo plan.