Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Gorson posted:

Um did someone paint the tire treads in teal?

Lol cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Colored motorcycle tire treads may have been a thing for a while, I know they were in cars in the early to mid 00's. Also that's a 120/60/17 front tire I can tell by looking at it, which means it is probably very very old.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Remy Marathe posted:

Oh I'm gonna make it ugly, 'cause those bags will get in the way of the missus and that rack has to be traded for one that works with my top case.

e; Not sure about a windshield I can't see over though.
I might be interested in those bags, let me know if you're getting rid of em.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Colored motorcycle tire treads may have been a thing for a while, I know they were in cars in the early to mid 00's. Also that's a 120/60/17 front tire I can tell by looking at it, which means it is probably very very old.

:drat: well spotted

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Nitrox posted:

I might be interested in those bags, let me know if you're getting rid of em.

Heh, already got rid of the right-hand one and $200 worth of contents (by failing to buckle it and taking a nice long ride after which it was nowhere to be found).

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Goonbike found?

quote:

2006 Harley Davidson for sale. Show winner big, custom airbrush work thru out in "Dragon Slayer" theme. Custom everything, diamond cut rims, customer saddlebags with pistol holster, custom fenders, too many chrome parts to list, 3 custom seats, sissy bar has removable Gladiator sword, runs great, real head turner! $40k invested, asking $13,500. Call Eric at
https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/d/santa-barbara-custom-harley-davidson/7462042634.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If you can read this, a dragon flew off with the bitch.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
"If you can read this shirt, there is a new King of England"

Coydog fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 25, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh that ad gave me flashbacks to the era when every single bike for sale on Craigslist was listed as a “SHOW BIKE”.

Like it somehow matters that one time you entered your bike at the local burger joints Thursday night bike show.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I can't imagine the brain worms that make someone dump $40,000 into a hole like that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JuSt LiKe OcC bRo

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I know the traditional response to "who buys these" is "lol nobody," but surely people trying to sell these custom choppers eventually sell them to someone. Who ends up with them, and how much do they really pay?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I know the traditional response to "who buys these" is "lol nobody," but surely people trying to sell these custom choppers eventually sell them to someone. Who ends up with them, and how much do they really pay?

A man we'll call Bob, who has a shaved head and a giant tattoo in place of his hair. Bob collects guns, parrots and ex wives. He runs the local 'chopper club' and buys them 2-3 at a time out of the US. He pays on average 8-12k USD plus whatever shipping works out to, spends another 2-3k on tidying them
up (which often includes making me suffer through fixing texan wiring) then sells them to people, usually members of the club, for 25-30k NZD. He owns 2-3 himself at any given time. The club is composed entirely of tragic middle aged men desperate to be cool, with about a 40% overlap with the meth sphere, and some fringe relation to the red sneakers crowd - my son is in the gang, they won't let me in cause I'm a stupid old cosplayer, but I can get some coolness by osmosis with this here Big Dog Chopper.

There are different levels of impracticality and utter bullshit, as well as different... styles? Segments? Because at the height of the madness the shows had different classes you could enter into with different expected looks eg a 'pro street' has a really long, really raked fork but a really low head stock so it vaguely resembles a drag bike. The riding experience ranges from 'almost just a Harley with dumb ergos' to 'geometry that fundamentally doesn't work and will kill you'. The build quality differs drastically from machine to machine, some are really not to bad and almost an acceptable motorbike, some are a rolling race to the death between been fire and structural failure. All of them have far too much power, suggestive brakes, terrifying 'handling'.

Bob is currently not speaking to his son Darryl because Darryl is of a younger generation and has bucked the club by importing, for himself, a custom bagger (Harley touring parts in a custom framw, as opposed to a chopper which uses Softail parts, they look totally different) with a 30" front wheel. Now all the younger dudes have decided this is actually the correct way to waste 30 grand and it's causing a rift in the club.

Names altered to protect the innocent.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

A man we'll call Bob, who has a shaved head and a giant tattoo in place of his hair. Bob collects guns, parrots and ex wives. He runs the local 'chopper club' and buys them 2-3 at a time out of the US. He pays on average 8-12k USD plus whatever shipping works out to, spends another 2-3k on tidying them
up (which often includes making me suffer through fixing texan wiring) then sells them to people, usually members of the club, for 25-30k NZD. He owns 2-3 himself at any given time. The club is composed entirely of tragic middle aged men desperate to be cool, with about a 40% overlap with the meth sphere, and some fringe relation to the red sneakers crowd - my son is in the gang, they won't let me in cause I'm a stupid old cosplayer, but I can get some coolness by osmosis with this here Big Dog Chopper.

There are different levels of impracticality and utter bullshit, as well as different... styles? Segments? Because at the height of the madness the shows had different classes you could enter into with different expected looks eg a 'pro street' has a really long, really raked fork but a really low head stock so it vaguely resembles a drag bike. The riding experience ranges from 'almost just a Harley with dumb ergos' to 'geometry that fundamentally doesn't work and will kill you'. The build quality differs drastically from machine to machine, some are really not to bad and almost an acceptable motorbike, some are a rolling race to the death between been fire and structural failure. All of them have far too much power, suggestive brakes, terrifying 'handling'.

Bob is currently not speaking to his son Darryl because Darryl is of a younger generation and has bucked the club by importing, for himself, a custom bagger (Harley touring parts in a custom framw, as opposed to a chopper which uses Softail parts, they look totally different) with a 30" front wheel. Now all the younger dudes have decided this is actually the correct way to waste 30 grand and it's causing a rift in the club.

Names altered to protect the innocent.

This is the OCC culture dissolving into separate factions because there's no longer any direction coming down from on high on how to design, build, and style the bikes. Their shared culture is gone. People who actually like to ride and own normal bikes at the end of the day have something they can take to the supermarket or drug store without fear of someone breathing on their chrome. These people are desperately searching for direction and if the Teutuls relaunched as an custom electric scooter company and had a very popular show about it guess what would happen.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

this popped up in my feed recently. standard youtube clickbait talking points.

but yup, bad bike that sucks to ride and overall pretty bad and uncomfortable. his bit is he didn’t pay a lot for it so who cares right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eklhXby-XBg

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

yummycheese posted:

this popped up in my feed recently. standard youtube clickbait talking points.

but yup, bad bike that sucks to ride and overall pretty bad and uncomfortable. his bit is he didn’t pay a lot for it so who cares right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eklhXby-XBg

I love that dude's videos. He does a bunch of clickbaity-nonsense like rating the cheapest electric scooter on amazon or whatever, but he'll also buy these super weird or ancient motorcycles. And there's always a point where he's like "this thing is a terrifying death trap. Let's take it on the highway."

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

He did a great video where he welcomed a British person to America, and the Brit bought a bike from him and rode around America with it...

I can't seem to find that video now...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

This is the OCC culture dissolving into separate factions because there's no longer any direction coming down from on high on how to design, build, and style the bikes. Their shared culture is gone. People who actually like to ride and own normal bikes at the end of the day have something they can take to the supermarket or drug store without fear of someone breathing on their chrome. These people are desperately searching for direction and if the Teutuls relaunched as an custom electric scooter company and had a very popular show about it guess what would happen.

Yep.

The internet has made the situation worse cause now you have some severely confused individuals out there; I had one guy ask me if I could turn his twin cam dyna into a 'cafe racer kind of thing' and another guy who got a sportster but didn't really like the 'Harley look' and spent six months trying to make it look like the world's shittiest UJM. There's also the people that get an intruder or virago 250 and try to make it look like a SOA bike.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

He did a great video where he welcomed a British person to America, and the Brit bought a bike from him and rode around America with it...

I can't seem to find that video now...

lmao this sounds great. will have to go digging for this.

Top Gear adjacent stupid adventures is the content I crave.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Link it if you find it, I can't seem to see it on youtube any more.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Hmm how about this '04 Honda 919 for $3k on advrider https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/2004-honda-919-12-100-miles-chicagoland-3000-obo.1526194/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

Current tires are OEM from the factory. While they've got tread left, they need to go

Lol

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

All those upgrades and farkles and the stock tires with 12,100 miles on them.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
They're good tires, bront.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I’m amazed any tires would last 12k miles. Are they down to the plies? That said, isn’t the 919 a good bike?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a great bike

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
tired: a set of new tires (T3 EVOs) is included with purchase
wired: tell them to sell those Bridgestones separately and knock 10% off so you can buy the tires you want

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Found the perfect essence of Svartpilen owner. Poor bike has spent 3 years as a living room decoration.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/d/richmond-2019-husqvarna-svartpilen-401/7466763698.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why

It's California. You can ride any time you want. And someone living in Richmond probably isn't a billionaire who keeps it literally just for art, nor is a brand new $6000 bike worth putting on display anyway.

Literally why

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And they shipped it out here from Connecticut too!! Having never ridden it! Wtf

Stupid moron thinking it's an investment? Someone who bought the bike on a whim, planning to be ~a motorcycle guy~, then got on a ninja 250 for the first time and hated it? Ughhfggg

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
if it's a 2019 can it even be registered in California if it doesn't have X number of miles on it, or does that only apply to bikes that aren't CARB compliant or something

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

:confused: it says its in Richmond, VA though? Not California. Registered in Connecticut, lives in Richmond. Unless I missed something?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zoom the map out, it’s VA

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wait, are you suggesting there are Richmonds in other parts of the world? Preposterous!

my bad

Still incredibly dumb. Who puts a brand new cheap bike on display in their living room??

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Wait, are you suggesting there are Richmonds in other parts of the world? Preposterous!

my bad

Still incredibly dumb. Who puts a brand new cheap bike on display in their living room??

Somebody who lives in a neighborhood where it will get stolen outside. I'm guessing he didn't buy it as art but intended to ride it and for whatever reason never did and he just saw what bikes are selling for and decided he could use the money.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uuuuuh

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

wouldn’t it be an automatic transmission?!!!

assuming it has a go cart style centrifugal clutch on that briggs and Stratton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

electric start or kickstart??

lol pull start you idiot