Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah, don't need fire, Paw was the place to XP, people are probably gonna do GoD stuff now because of AC aug chances but Paw will still be the top tier xp spot until OoW.

Honestly, you're a month late to quitting because Paw opened with LDoN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Paw still is the best xp spot well past omens. It has every single quality you want in a grind zone. Ridiculous mob density, fast pathing, low hp, weak damage output, high vendor trash value, lots of casters that waste their time casting resistable spells, on and on. It just is too good, you can't get away from it.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Once DoDH unlocks Fibblebrap #5 is better, and remains so until SoF when you get the Mech guardian.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Fanelien posted:

Once DoDH unlocks Fibblebrap #5 is better, and remains so until SoF when you get the Mech guardian.

as someone who has never played past LoY - I honest to god thought you were making poo poo up ad-lib style to troll the thread.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

cmdrk posted:

as someone who has never played past LoY - I honest to god thought you were making poo poo up ad-lib style to troll the thread.

Luclin naming conventions were only the beginning.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

cmdrk posted:

DoDH has some gnome stuff in there so your reaction is understandable.

Honestly it was one of my favorite expansions from what I've played (to TSS) as it really brought back group content and some nice catch-up gear for alts. DoDH is packed full of group instanced missions.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

gribble grobblenobber

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Luclin is the furthest I’ve played but my opinion definitely is that the game goes downhill rapidly once you go to the moon.

Only cool thing from Luclin was the shrink clicky. The rest of that expansion is dumb keying or huge zones.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I have fond feelings of luclin expansion probably because it was the zenith of my heavy EQing as a teenager. EQ was different back then tho, and after TLPing and seeing the content bookended by what came before and goes after it definitely lets you scrutinize it better.

Nostalgia aside they clearly thought mistakes were made and headed in a different direction in terms of raid encounter and mob design. Luclin was kind of an endurance slog fest. All of the mobs have way too much hp; the idea of a hard encounter is almost time and endurance based. EQ's designers try this tactic on specific encounters in later expansions but almost all of luclin was like that.

The VT raid experience being the peak representation of this ideal, where the trash is the boss. On a fun run I went back with about 3-4 groups of anguish geared toons looking for clickies and alt gear. It wasnt hard but even with the power creep it took us like 3-4 hours to clear through the trash.

We just entered DoDH on aradune and the luclin pieces of relevance to me still are:
*Aten wrist- still the best pure caster dispell clicky. It is sublime. I dont know by what or when it'll be replaced.
*Tradeskill modifiers - hammer of ironfrost, shei shears and the tinkering robe.
*shrink clicky, the one with the alchemy modifier.
*The IVU clicky now has some relevance again at least in DoDH, tons of undead.
*Gate belt- you think, 10 seconds, which seems like a long time. Practically though if you didnt already have gate up its quicker than the mem, cool down, cast. And especially as gear and AA gets better there have been many times where the gate belt fired off despite lots of mobs pounding on me.

I imagine though that going forward on TLPs they won't undo the easing of the key experience they implemented on mischief. Shards are much, much easier to get after that and I imagine the experience will be less toxic and less of a barrier to raid gearing going forward.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 31, 2022

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Yiggy posted:

I have fond feelings of luclin expansion probably because it was the zenith of my heavy EQing as a teenager. EQ was different back then tho, and after TLPing and seeing the content bookended by what came before and goes after it definitely lets you scrutinize it better.

Nostalgia aside they clearly thought mistakes were made and headed in a different direction in terms of raid encounter and mob design. Luclin was kind of an endurance slog fest. All of the mobs have way too much hp; the idea of a hard encounter is almost time and endurance based. EQ's designers try this tactic on specific encounters in later expansions but almost all of luclin was like that.

The VT raid experience being the peak representation of this ideal, where the trash is the boss. On a fun run I went back with about 3-4 groups of anguish geared toons looking for clickies and alt gear. It wasnt hard but even with the power creep it took us like 3-4 hours to clear through the trash.

We just entered DoDH on aradune and the luclin pieces of relevance to me still are:
*Aten wrist- still the best pure caster dispell clicky. It is sublime. I dont know what or when it'll be replaced.
*Tradeskill modifiers - hammer of ironfrost, shei shears and the tinkering robe.
*shrink clicky, the one with the alchemy modifier.
*The IVU clicky now has some relevance again at least in DoDH, tons of undead.
*Gate belt- you think, 10 seconds, which seems like a long time. Practically though if you didnt already have gate up its quicker than the mem, cool down, cast. And especially as gear and AA gets better there have been many times where the gate belt fired off despite lots of mobs pounding on me.

I imagine though that going forward on TLPs they won't undo the easing of the key experience they implemented on mischief. Shards are much, much easier to get after that and I imagine the experience will be less toxic and less of a barrier to raid gearing going forward.

The biggest flaw in the games design was Complete Heal, which meant that every fight turned into an endurance fight until midway through PoP when coordination started being necessary (in addition to endurance).

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Fanelien posted:

I've noticed a few tasks that looked pretty viable for xp in the small amount of Depths I've done. I'll check this one out soon. The downside with tasks is you can't do degenerate poo poo like have 18 boxes sitting on paw beach locking down the entire zone to feed xp to one group. Though player power at 70 with raid gear is so high compared to paw mobs that this advantage isn't as big of a deal as it was at 65.

onesixtwo posted:

Luclin is the furthest I’ve played but my opinion definitely is that the game goes downhill rapidly once you go to the moon.

Only cool thing from Luclin was the shrink clicky. The rest of that expansion is dumb keying or huge zones.

Luclin was just stupidly ambitious I think. They tried to pull off an expansion with like 20 new zones with items/quests for every level, a new race and class, a graphical overhaul, the AA system, and a dozens of raid encounters with elaborate keying, bane weapons and raid items with a bunch of unique focus effects and clicks. Their management must have been flying high on their status as King of MMOs to think this was a sane scope.

So the expansion is strictly quantity over quality, but zones like Katta, ssra, Shadowhaven and to a lesser extent Seru and Scarlet Desert have grown on me a lot. They're big and weird and memorable. The raid encounters are dull as sin but at least the loot is neat. The items just feel way more creative and cooler than the fights.

As for the lasting effects, I still don't know if AA are a good thing or a terrible thing for the game. It's definitely a system that's bloated beyond all reason in the modern game. It's part of what makes the game seem impenetrable to a non Live player.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

as a live player with nearly every aa i think getting character power out of aa was a huge mistake, it just takes far too long to catch up and the benefits of going from autogrant to max aa might as well be another 10 levels

the worst part is focus aa though, as a fresh 120 you have to grind out thousands on focus aa so you can use most of your spells without it being a damage loss vs the last ones your autogrant took care of

edit: using SK lifetap numbers if you're 120 with all the 115 aa but keep in mind that an sk with these aa is going to have all 3 of these memmed at once, it's just to highlight the basic problem that applies to every class:
120 touch of txiki @ 9k with no ranks of focus so no modifier
115 touch of drendar @ 7400 with ~23% more damage from focus which brings it to 9.1k (so drendar is still your highest priority cast for this example)
110 touch of t'vem @ 6100 with the same 23% because the focus works backwards but this clocks in at 7.5k (this one is still 3rd priority)

now repeat this problem with all your damage spells, you get cool new spells every level until you hit the new cap but chances are you aren't able to actually use them until you've grinded out 100 aa per spell which isn't an insurmountable problem but why the heck does this barrier even exist when the vendor is selling the spells for like 20k plat each anyway? the devs appear to increase spell damage by the same percent every expansion and max rank of the touch lifetap focus is a 27% damage boost so it's safe to assume this rift is just going to grow larger and larger as the expansions progress

now you might think "hey I can get an aa every kill soloing surprisingly tanky lblues so what's the problem?" but that means you're either making pitstops to grind out aa every level or you're just not upgrading your spells until you've hit the new level cap, and this is the best case scenario where you enter the expansion with max aa for the previous one, if you're playing a totally new character you're not going into the expansion with 10/12 for all your focus aa, you're going into the expansion with goddamn 5/12 and now you have to do a bunch of math to figure out when you should be using new spells

just to sort of drive my point home: i've had this tradition where I level my beastlord up to the cap, get him awesome gear and then completely fail to grind any aa on him, and it's been going on for years so this is where he's sitting now:

for my dps to be decent not only do I need to get all the regular array of dps / pet / etc AA in the other tabs but I need to grind out 6 ranks (because the last 2 ranks are the current expansion, not because I suck at counting, that 6th one magically buffs my latest spells to be good again) of these loving things for 100aa per rank for each of those spell lines that I actually use

tl;dr: aa can eat my entire rear end in a top hat

blatman fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 1, 2022

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I always liked AA, because it gave you something to do at max level.

But, I've never played past HoT and I can see how needing to grind 20,000 aa could be lovely

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

oh don't worry you don't have to grind 20k that would be silly

this is my sk who isn't capped yet but i've got most of the important lines maxed and I got a few thousand from autogrant because I quit around sof and came back in like..eok so that helped a bit

edit: this is only specifically irritating me because I just got my beastlord to 120 and he does half my SKs damage because the bsts aas are too low, so catching up feels like i'm running into a brick wall atm

blatman fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 2, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

blatman posted:

oh don't worry you don't have to grind 20k that would be silly

this is my sk who isn't capped yet but i've got most of the important lines maxed and I got a few thousand from autogrant because I quit around sof and came back in like..eok so that helped a bit

Yeah autogrant is a life saver. Of course, I'm guessing there are die hards out there who refuse to turn it on and grind out AAs by hand.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Zil posted:

Yeah autogrant is a life saver. Of course, I'm guessing there are die hards out there who refuse to turn it on and grind out AAs by hand.

lol those diehards keep showing up in my lovely guild and it takes them literal years to get anywhere, if they don't get burned out and quit first

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

cmdrk posted:

Hah the alphabet soup only gets worse as you go along. Our guild on Mangler makes a game out of who can make up the worst plausible pronunciation of a mob/mission/zone name on discord.

On the later expansions, I'd never played past Gates before Mangler, the game gets better as you go along while still retaining a lot of the charm of EQ. I highly recommend if you can find a guild that is willing to persevere with the content that you stick with a TLP especially past TSS.

Except Underfoot, this expansion is ARSE.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I always hear Underfoot praised by TLP players. The spells from that era look really neat, like the spell that lets enchanters drag poo poo around is hilarious.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Solarin posted:

I always hear Underfoot praised by TLP players. The spells from that era look really neat, like the spell that lets enchanters drag poo poo around is hilarious.

Yeah there's lots of fun stuff but the raids in particular are about as fun as slamming your dick in a car door repeatedly. Every encounter has multiple raid-wipe mechanics that need to be dealt with or the entire raid is hosed, our guild is now 50% boxes so the raid progression is really quite a slog for us now.

The group game seems fine for those with a tank class main, but those of us in silk we need to be carried through everything. (tank) Mercs got introduced with SoD and are now almost entirely useless in UF, even with their tanking AAs maxed out.

House of Thule is around the corner though which is apparently a much better tuned expansion. This poo poo is harder than I remember Gates being in era.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Depths of Dark Hollow has been an enjoyable launch on aradune. The zones w/ depth designed for levi are absolutely my jam. Some guildies have hated it but I think they play third person which is definitely a pain dealing with the Z-Axis. In first person though the zone parkour adds some texture to the experience, and having CoTH for box smooths out a lot of headaches.

Server pop on launch is actually kind of nice and spread out. Seen lots of people moving through the content but none of the OW facing parts (which feel appropriately limited) have felt toxic. Instances and mobs feel like they're caught up with the power creep from the last 3 expansions without feeling oppressive. Most of my guild is now at a point where we haven't played through any of these expansions which has made it engaging.

The new spells and AA's (for mage at least) feel like they've added just enough to the game play to keep things interesting. Around luclin time I had several other players pressuring me to spell weave everything and set up my hotbars so it was all a single button press. I resisted that because it sounded really monotonous. For the moment at least, I'm glad that I never ingrained the habit because gift of mana and fickle fire enable some interesting choices, but they all involve nimbly changing up spell order rather than just jamming and cramming cooldowns. Might eat my words later, will see.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Yiggy posted:

Depths of Dark Hollow has been an enjoyable launch on aradune. The zones w/ depth designed for levi are absolutely my jam. Some guildies have hated it but I think they play third person which is definitely a pain dealing with the Z-Axis. In first person though the zone parkour adds some texture to the experience, and having CoTH for box smooths out a lot of headaches.

Server pop on launch is actually kind of nice and spread out. Seen lots of people moving through the content but none of the OW facing parts (which feel appropriately limited) have felt toxic. Instances and mobs feel like they're caught up with the power creep from the last 3 expansions without feeling oppressive. Most of my guild is now at a point where we haven't played through any of these expansions which has made it engaging.

The new spells and AA's (for mage at least) feel like they've added just enough to the game play to keep things interesting. Around luclin time I had several other players pressuring me to spell weave everything and set up my hotbars so it was all a single button press. I resisted that because it sounded really monotonous. For the moment at least, I'm glad that I never ingrained the habit because gift of mana and fickle fire enable some interesting choices, but they all involve nimbly changing up spell order rather than just jamming and cramming cooldowns. Might eat my words later, will see.

Mages are probably 90% effective on a multibind slamming everything with 1 keypress. It is massively boring though, good for boxes as you just set up a AHK macro to burn everything.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Yiggy posted:

Now, I haven't played a tlp mage, but on live as of a few years ago (when I quit), multibinding was leaps ahead of pure manual spell casting. The top parsing players from every class did it, and every time we got a recruit that didn't do it, they were loving garbage. It basically gets you to 90% of optimal play with mashing one button, which is great for eliminating human errors. The other 10% comes from learning how to use the multibind correctly. There's nothing stopping you from manually sequencing your spells to adjust to the situation. But having a button that will always automatically continue your spell weave from the correct spot, without loving up, is incredibly useful.

For example, my normal heal multibind was set up to put the fastest heals on target, with my .5s, and 1.8s cool down heals first, then my 2.2s no-cooldown heal. Because 90% of the time, when i want to heal someone, I want it ASAP. But lets say I'm just chilling providing some out of group healing on the main tank, but want to be able to heal my group from a harsh ST dot. I'd instead skip my multibind and manually cast my 2.2s heal, so my .5s one was always available to use in-group. Then I can switch targets and use my multibind to get my fastest heal on my target. Other times, I'd be spamming my multibind on the MT because that puts the most healing on one target over time.

Having a multibind doesn't men that's your only way of casting spells, but it's a really loving good way to cast spells for the vast majority of time that you play EQ.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i sort of want a programmable keyboard so i can just hold my spam key instead of frantically tapping it but every keyboard like that that i've seen has a ton of stupid LEDs

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The zones are definitely way more interesting and polished visually compared to DoN. They also clearly spent more time fleshing out the items with all these task specific drops and unique clicks. I assume it's a hellish grind but that 0.3 second shrink click looks amazing.

Demiplane is pretty whacky though. They went completely insane with mechanics based fights. The zone wide debuff is also a big wtf to me, and the drops to nullify it are so limited. Just a very weird zone, but I think it will be a fun one to improve at as a raid. Also it helps a lot that it looks awesome, especially compared to the brown mush that Anguish is.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Solarin posted:

The zones are definitely way more interesting and polished visually compared to DoN. They also clearly spent more time fleshing out the items with all these task specific drops and unique clicks. I assume it's a hellish grind but that 0.3 second shrink click looks amazing.

Demiplane is pretty whacky though. They went completely insane with mechanics based fights. The zone wide debuff is also a big wtf to me, and the drops to nullify it are so limited. Just a very weird zone, but I think it will be a fun one to improve at as a raid. Also it helps a lot that it looks awesome, especially compared to the brown mush that Anguish is.

You will be absolutely sick of demiplane by the time TSS rolls around. I know I was.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Well that goes without saying. I'm especially not looking forward to the point where people have fully checked out and attendance is bad so we wipe to dumb poo poo which makes people want to show up even less.

The 70 expansions need to be shortened so bad. I'm just assuming they'll cut them down for mischief because at least one dev has an interest in the success of that server

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Solarin posted:

Well that goes without saying. I'm especially not looking forward to the point where people have fully checked out and attendance is bad so we wipe to dumb poo poo which makes people want to show up even less.

The 70 expansions need to be shortened so bad. I'm just assuming they'll cut them down for mischief because at least one dev has an interest in the success of that server

Yeah the whole 70s era is too long by a huge margin. OoW-DoN should be one unlock, DoDh-PoR another. Would cut 4 months off the era without losing much. You get Omens/Dragons to do your 1.5 and 2.0, then Depths/Prophecy to do your 2.0 upgrade. Having it so long is also terrible for server health as the 70 era just causes casters and druids to quit due to being able to do sweet gently caress all during a raid or group content for months. We'll see what happens on Mischief/Thornblade but I doubt it'll get adjusted as there's not been an announcement regarding it and usually they're pretty adamant about the ruleset remaining as announced for the life of the server.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Fanelien posted:

House of Thule is around the corner though which is apparently a much better tuned expansion.

I love HoT, especially compared to Underfoot. I found almost all of the zones interesting and fun to explore through.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Looks like there was a fairly large wave of suspensions today. Plat suppliers are out, third party krono prices are rising and the usual forums are full of people posting their account action emails.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Zil posted:

Looks like there was a fairly large wave of suspensions today. Plat suppliers are out, third party krono prices are rising and the usual forums are full of people posting their account action emails.

Half of Zek got suspended it sounds like, which is like five people.

Node fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 5, 2022

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Lots of bans among the MQ2 users in my truebox server guild. Except most of them only had one character hit so it makes me question if the ban was based on that. A few others for 'account sharing' which we did copious amounts of to make DoDh vule flagging work. A couple others for boxing >2 on Aradune, but many many others who box 3+ weren't hit.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Some of the 6 boxers on the truebox servers had really started taking the piss with very obvious automation. I generally wouldn't care but they were camp stealing, and being very vocal about being untouchable by the GMs.

Personally I think account sharing is always a bad idea - Just needs the person you've loaned it to to have some grey-market krono and every account associated with that IP can get a ban.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Baconroll posted:

Personally I think account sharing is always a bad idea - Just needs the person you've loaned it to to have some grey-market krono and every account associated with that IP can get a ban.

My rule on account sharing is, can I punch this guy? If I can punch him for doing something dumb I can share the account with him.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just play p99 imo

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Orange DeviI posted:

Just play p99 imo

All the people I play with tell me the community is a dumpster fire.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh it is, it's full of MAGA assholes and people who put 1488 in their forums username, it's absolutely garbage so you have to bring your own friends

But aside from that it's good!!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Going from TLP to P99 must be like cruising down the freeway going 80 then deciding you'll pull over and walk instead. The TLPs are so drat fast, raid gear is everywhere and player mitigation/melee damage output is high. There's extremely strong and cheap healing/regen/clarity potions. Stuff like parcel and origin are massive conveniences. It's really a different game.

I think the pace of P99 works better in launch-velious content. TLPs get raid focused with how fast everything is and the raid content is just terrible. The world, the cities and dungeons are pretty cool though. The game being extremely slow and forcing you to spend time in the cool part makes sense. Not to mention the social aspect of spending lots of time in each zone.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Fanelien posted:

All the people I play with tell me the community is a dumpster fire.

It's like if Trumpism was a thing somehow during 2002, that's the feel of those forums sometimes. It used to be a trope, probably still is, that a goon would stare into the abyss too long and go mildly crazy until ceasing to play p99. Interesting place at the least.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Solarin posted:

Going from TLP to P99 must be like cruising down the freeway going 80 then deciding you'll pull over and walk instead. The TLPs are so drat fast, raid gear is everywhere and player mitigation/melee damage output is high. There's extremely strong and cheap healing/regen/clarity potions. Stuff like parcel and origin are massive conveniences. It's really a different game.

I think the pace of P99 works better in launch-velious content. TLPs get raid focused with how fast everything is and the raid content is just terrible. The world, the cities and dungeons are pretty cool though. The game being extremely slow and forcing you to spend time in the cool part makes sense. Not to mention the social aspect of spending lots of time in each zone.

The TLP is a walk down memory lane, with the knowledge that you cant fully return to the past.

P99 is being reincarnated in the past, but with full knowledge of today. The Magic is gone for some, for others the magic is existing in forever at that point in time.

In the end you still can never go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

the real magic of the old days was the huge community combined with 99% of them knowing jack poo poo about what is optimal so you had people everywhere doing everything, you could get groups doing every conceivable camp and you'd basically never get lectured about how you were 'playing wrong'

also training was just accepted as inevitable and it happened constantly no matter where you were. gently caress i miss trains