Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

Continuity of consciousness gets to be a bit more of a quandary when you start getting into the territory of speculative fiction. There's not really much existential dread in being unconscious for a few hours, but when you start getting into ideas like mind uploading or a teleporter that works by atomizing you and then rebuilding an identical duplicate on the molecular level at your destination you start to get into some interesting topics of conversation.
It's at that point it's probably worth remembering that no single cell in your entire body is older than about 7 years - and that since nobody is conscious throughout all those 7 years, we don't actually have anything approaching continuity of consciousness.

What we do have is continuity of memory, and this despite the fact that even the cells of our brains get replaced at some frequency (they're some of the longest-living cells in the body, if memory serves).

This, then, necessitates considering just how analogue our memory really is - because it's very common that instead of remembering an event, we remember the last time we remembered it, and thereby filter the experience of it through a different lens that it was previously filtered when we originally experienced it.
Always assuming, of course, that we aren't remembering a false memory - I've had a few times in my life when I've found out that something I thought I remembered, I simply couldn't have, and lemme tell you: that fucks with your head.

Piell posted:

An identical copy of me isn't me, and I don't want to die even though an identical copy of me keeps going
Technicaly speaking, by that definition, you aren't you either. See above.

DoctorWhat posted:

Assuming the absence of an immortal soul, for what purpose do you carry on living? Yes, obviously the belief in a soul is extremely popular but if the soul exists we have no framework for discussing its behaviors. We don't know god's rules, we don't know how souls work, it's non-actionable information.

For me, the purpose of continued existence is to provide joy and fellowship with other people. The transporter duplicate, or the me that wakes up from major surgery, carries forward my memories and intentions for interacting with and affecting the lives of other people. That's how my life is measured, so a gap of awareness or consciousness or even life itself doesn't have a unique impact on the life of "DoctorWhat, Ontological Entity That Impacts The World Around Him".

If my "good works" (pretentious but bear with me) and intent carry forward, as well as the potential for enriching and desirable experiences, it doesn't matter what's happening on a meat-and-electricity level. People don't have obituaries written about their cerebral cortex, obituaries are about people's lives.

As for being shot with a gun or whatever, that's emotionally different because of like, you know, the lack of choice in the matter. To what end am I being shot? Just to prove a point? As opposed to going under for surgery, or taking a transporter.
That's such a bullshit question; it presupposes a whole host of questions that one also has to accept, to accept that there is a soul to begin with.
Let's start with the obvious: Which god? Does she have a belly button? Why? Why did she see fit to invent bone cancer in children, the single-most evil act that I can think of since it involves suffering beyond anything anyone should suffer, and that it's children that're suffering it.

I'm with you though - if by the end of my life I've done more good than bad and apologized as well as attempted to make good when I've done bad, I think I can say I'll be satisfied with my life. Until then, I focus on doing the next thing and doing everything in moderation, even moderation.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope your definition of "me" is "me"aningless because now you've got two, divergent and therefore different, people in the room and both have been told only one gets to be Ghostlight.

And the other person wants that as much as you.
but we are both as much ghostlight as we are not. as you say, two divergent and therefore different people. two divergent. not one. both of us are as different to each other as we are to the person we were before, and will continue to become different to. we are continually the fully repaired ship, whether it is theseus' or not. everything we are is a sum of material events to which we were not present, a me that was me was there, and i was he just as he became me. just as a duplicate would be a me that was me and just as i am me so is he. we are the same phenomenon existing across dimensions, whether it is time or space.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

but we are both as much ghostlight as we are not. as you say, two divergent and therefore different people. two divergent. not one. both of us are as different to each other as we are to the person we were before, and will continue to become different to. we are continually the fully repaired ship, whether it is theseus' or not. everything we are is a sum of material events to which we were not present, a me that was me was there, and i was he just as he became me. just as a duplicate would be a me that was me and just as i am me so is he. we are the same phenomenon existing across dimensions, whether it is time or space.

This post gave me intense damage

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

This post gave me intense damage
are you also ghostlight and does that mean that the ghostlights all receive intense damage, or is the damage shared equally?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol imagine not being ghostlight

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Insert SpartacusGhostlight reference here.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

are you also ghostlight and does that mean that the ghostlights all receive intense damage, or is the damage shared equally?

I take all the damage so that other ghostlights run free

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
9 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbQajuuX6mM

And now, for the exciting conclusion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0SGlU3CTR4

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I thought those Characteristicks were really cool back in the day, seriously. Happily I never actually played a game with one.

I did have a little chance to play around with RMC's tortoise joystick (which he has christened "Trevor") a couple of years back. My hand was really sore after literally 30 seconds of rocking around that bloody thing.

This is a pretty old LGR video but I think of all the bad joysticks that folks have covered, this one looks the worst. The Demon Destroyer Gunn. I mean, WHY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO89FPclQjk

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 5, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Any controller used to play Dizzy the Egg is cursed beyond measure.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Any controller used to play Dizzy the Egg is cursed beyond measure.

If the Oliver Twins ever read this, they'll be very upset.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Oliver Twins can huff my duff.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
people who are ok with being killed as long as a copy of them is running around are straight up freaks

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Treehouse of Horror 13 told us what happens when you clone yourself and I won't accept any other interpretation.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Can we go back to Batman and the Joker or whatever?

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Can we go back to Batman and the Joker or whatever?

Can Batman kill a clone of Joker?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Batman isn't real

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

speaking of star trek, youtube just came up with a CYOA ft Markiplier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j64oZLF443g
hold on.. i'm sorry, hold on

they're still making youtube originals???

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m kind of surprised those died as fast as they did. Were they not seen as good even by the target audience?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was expensive to sub to it.

Still is. 15 bucks a month. I had it for a bit and I miss it if only for the lack of ads.

But 15 bucks a month Jfc

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

This one is free though, I think it's just a partnership thing? The one that cost money is youtube red or something which is languishing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what i'll always remember about youtube originals/red was that they had 'cartoons', but instead of, you know, accepting pitches from actual Youtube animators, they just grabbed Hollywood writers from shows like Family Guy to run their half-baked poo poo instead

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It was expensive to sub to it.

Still is. 15 bucks a month. I had it for a bit and I miss it if only for the lack of ads.

But 15 bucks a month Jfc

I could subscribe to probably like 5 big titty onlyfans accounts with that money

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kim Justice posted:

This is a pretty old LGR video but I think of all the bad joysticks that folks have covered, this one looks the worst. The Demon Destroyer Gunn. I mean, WHY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO89FPclQjk

That gun(n) looks like something Ice-T would've used in Ghosts of Mars.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
That was Ice Cube.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Scorched Spitz posted:

That was Ice Cube.

My b. :saddowns:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

This one is free though, I think it's just a partnership thing? The one that cost money is youtube red or something which is languishing

Yeah, Heist With Markiplier was also a partnership with YouTube, and also free. In Space being a YT Original might be what's left of a contract deal back when YouTube was being aggressive with original productions because I don't think they do them anymore otherwise.

I've watched a bit of In Space so far, and it's fun. I know they can be expensive and time-consuming to make, but I'm still surprised that Markiplier is (afaik) the only one making CYOA. YouTube lends itself pretty well to the format, and they don't need to be the giant projects that Mark does. I could easily see a smaller creator having a lot of fun with the concept

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

As far as CYOA stuff on YouTube goes, the brilliant comedian/streamer John Robertson started The Dark Room on YouTube (now his main live show and on Twitch) as a sort of interactive text adventure game using annotations, which sadly means you can't actually play the original version on YouTube anymore (for anyone not familiar with it, you awake to find yourself in a Dark Room, usually pick from four choices of what to do next and sooner or later you die horribly and hilariously). Similarly, there were definitely YouTube versions of old FMV games like Night Trap that used annotations too. So yeah, there was something pretty ideal for that sort of thing until YouTube got rid of them.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I remember a neat horror game on Youtube involving a doll and... I think some kind of hidden annotations. It is now completely broken, of course, but I remember having my mind blown at the time playing it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ghostlight posted:

star trek? sorry i thought we were talking about 2006's 'the prestige' starring christian bale and hugh jackman

I love that it doesnt matter which person you see as 'the original' in that movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Here's asking for a specific recommendation: has anybody done a deep dive on Sons of Anarchy?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hope nobody's subjected themselves to that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

I hope nobody's subjected themselves to that

And I hope somebody has so I can spare myself the rewatch to remember when it got so oppressively grim and joyless I fled screaming into the night.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Here's asking for a specific recommendation: has anybody done a deep dive on Sons of Anarchy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihSaGAVHmvw

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jenny has a video up on her Patreon which is a vlog of her time at Galactic Starcruiser (not a review, just videos of her experiences with voice over.) It seems like all the atmosphere is neat but the "adventure" part isn't great.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I followed her long twitter coverage and the vibe I got was it's a neat experience if you've got a family massively into star wars and way, way too much disposable income, but it is still rough around the edges. Feels like if you've got that kind of money to throw around you'd be better off just planning a normal rear end vacation in most cases.

Dinsey + Star Wars feels too big to fail but I can't help but think the Galactic Starcrusier is going to feature on a Defunctland episode in a few years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The part where it turns out Jenny has the absolute worst seat in the house for the dinner show was kind of amazing. That seems like something that definitely should have been fixed during pre-production.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It seems inescapable but also like a huge mistake that the star wars hotel is based on the new movies that nobody cares about or will remember. The “resistance”? The first order? It’s like they made their own asylum star wars knockoff.

Also, I never thought about it before watching that clip of the kylo ren fight Jenny posted on twitter, but do you think they gave kylo ren a helmet and synthesized voice so that it would be easier to reproduce the character in other media and stage shows at their parks?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They gave him the helmet to resemble Darth Vader.

They gave him BACK the helmet for parks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it feels like if they just made kinda a big place that was Star Wars styled and just let you go to themed meals and special workshops and poo poo that are all in character and do meet and greet style things they could probably A) charge less, and B) have more appeal