Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Phy posted:

"I got the upper Nile!"
"I got the lower Nile!"
"... I got Iraq."
This deserve the most begrudging, reluctant slow clap possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I honestly thought for a moment that this is from a CMX song I somehow haven't heard before

I'm now picturing A.W. Yrjänä in a green hat playing harmonica. It kind of fits.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I honestly thought for a moment that this is from a CMX song I somehow haven't heard before

I think this says everything that needs to be said about CMX songs.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

girl dick energy posted:

This deserve the most begrudging, reluctant slow clap possible.

Idgi :saddowns:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCf2ZZLHy-k

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
There is a small well investigated 12000 year breifly occupied camp site in Trollesgave in Denmark. Here archeologists found a hearth and a load of flint that have been worked and used. All flint fragments have been very carefully mapped, analyzed and built together again into the original stones to trace back how they were made and used.

Part of what the archeologists found was that there were three individuals that were knapping flint here, one master which sat on a larger stone while working, one of intermediary skill and one of very low skill. The master produced well crafted tools that appear to have been used throughout the camp site. The low skill craftsman sat approximately 1,5 meters from the stone of the high skills craftsman and produced some few fragments that seem to have been used near the heath for processing food. Some way back near what would have been a lake side the intermediary craftsman produced usable but lower quality tools that have also been used throughout the camp site, interestingly some lower quality shards from this craftsman have been found several meters away in what would have been the lake by then.

This paints a nice picture of what was likely a single family camping there. One skilled adult was making flint tools for use by the family. Right infront of that adult a small child was sitting, learning and playing and but only producing a few pieces of cutting fragments that it, presumably proudly, presented to the ones preparing food by the hearth. By the lake, someone, likely an older child or adolescent, was also making tools for the family, and seemingly out of frustration, threw their lowest quality messups into the lake.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Zudgemud posted:

There is a small well investigated 12000 year breifly occupied camp site in Trollesgave in Denmark. Here archeologists found a hearth and a load of flint that have been worked and used. All flint fragments have been very carefully mapped, analyzed and built together again into the original stones to trace back how they were made and used.

Part of what the archeologists found was that there were three individuals that were knapping flint here, one master which sat on a larger stone while working, one of intermediary skill and one of very low skill. The master produced well crafted tools that appear to have been used throughout the camp site. The low skill craftsman sat approximately 1,5 meters from the stone of the high skills craftsman and produced some few fragments that seem to have been used near the heath for processing food. Some way back near what would have been a lake side the intermediary craftsman produced usable but lower quality tools that have also been used throughout the camp site, interestingly some lower quality shards from this craftsman have been found several meters away in what would have been the lake by then.

This paints a nice picture of what was likely a single family camping there. One skilled adult was making flint tools for use by the family. Right infront of that adult a small child was sitting, learning and playing and but only producing a few pieces of cutting fragments that it, presumably proudly, presented to the ones preparing food by the hearth. By the lake, someone, likely an older child or adolescent, was also making tools for the family, and seemingly out of frustration, threw their lowest quality messups into the lake.

Neat stuff. Thanks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/AlisonFisk/status/1491503286540812296

Also lists some dads taking care of their daughters when they got crampy:
https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/Y_EA5634

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
“You know you’ve used that embalming your brother excuse before.”

“I have a big family”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

As far as we know, the first Finn to taste coffee was Axel Käg from Turku, while he was in service to the duke of Schleswig-Holstein on his trip to Persia in 1637.

I GISed Axel Käg and I guess it's this guy:

e: No apparently that's Mikael Andersson, author of the book "A Cup of Coffee?".

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 11:35 on Apr 4, 2022

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The very first one is "drinking with Khonsu" who is either a lunar deity who rose to prominence during the New Kingdom period and was a pretty important god, or an actual living dude who was High Priest of Menkheperre.

I can't find a ton about the worship of Khonsu the god, so it's plausible that taking a day off work to drink with the god is a thing that was done, but it's also plausible that he was drinking with a high priest.

Or maybe he just had a friend who was also called Khonsu and he was just having a good time with his bro.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

venus de lmao posted:

The very first one is "drinking with Khonsu" who is either a lunar deity who rose to prominence during the New Kingdom period and was a pretty important god, or an actual living dude who was High Priest of Menkheperre.

I can't find a ton about the worship of Khonsu the god, so it's plausible that taking a day off work to drink with the god is a thing that was done, but it's also plausible that he was drinking with a high priest.

Or maybe he just had a friend who was also called Khonsu and he was just having a good time with his bro.

The real question is then did he go find Dracula to get his goddamned money?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The guy/s who took days off because their daughters had their periods is pretty :3:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

venus de lmao posted:

It could just be a hangover euphemism.

"Man, I was really drinking with Khonsu last night, iykwim"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pookah posted:

The guy/s who took days off because their daughters had their periods is pretty :3:

i bet they made some tea

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

i bet they made some tea

More likely they took the day off to make sure she was locked up in the cellar.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Man, poor Aapehti was really sick, but its nice that his bro got time off work to take care of him.

quote:

Paherypedjet: month 3 of Spring, day 21 (WITH AAPEHTI

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alhazred posted:

More likely they took the day off to make sure she was locked up in the cellar.

I bet they were pretty sympathetic to it actually.

Back then UTIs were so common they just thought everyone occasionally bled from their genitals!

...:gonk:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pookah posted:

Like some commented on this previously; these were the workers crafting and laboring on important tombs in the valley of kings, it might very well be a ritual thing that blood or menstruation in a tomb workers proximity would somehow taint the afterlife of the entombed.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Some guy took 2 days off for "his feast", aka "I'm getting utterly wasted for my birthday and then spending the day after recovering"

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Asterite34 posted:

I bet they were pretty sympathetic to it actually.

Back then UTIs were so common they just thought everyone occasionally bled from their genitals!

...:gonk:

That was schistosomiasis. (:nms: obviously)

quote:

From ancient times to the early 20th century, schistosomiasis' symptom of blood in the urine was seen as a male version of menstruation in Egypt and was thus viewed as a rite of passage for boys.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Something less horrifying and more... Bizarre? Odd in it's... Plain-ness?

The etymological origin of the Swedish word for a coffee-break, 'fika' is simply the inverted order of the syllables for coffee: 'Kaffe'.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Originally it was a time to spit up coffee?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Thus the name "coughy"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Samovar posted:

The etymological origin of the Swedish word for a coffee-break, 'fika' is simply the inverted order of the syllables for coffee: 'Kaffe'.
This is a British English level of cutesy language abomination.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samovar posted:

The SovietsFinns just verbed the noun; kahvi -> kahvi(s)tella, just as Elvis -> elvistellä. Bing bong simple!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The SovietsFinns just verbed the noun; kahvi -> kahvi(s)tella, just as Elvis -> elvistellä. Bing bong simple!

You guys get Elvis breaks!?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mrpwase posted:

You guys get Elvis breaks!?

If you elvis around too much, someone will break your teeth.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

what is an "elvis"?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ChubbyChecker posted:

what is an "elvis"?

Not much, what's an Elvis with you?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

what is an "elvis"?

He's the tiger friend of Paavo here:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

He's the tiger friend of Paavo here:

Most people don't know that Paavo & Elvis was named after Paavo Elvis, who is obscure enough that I can't find a loving thing about him on the Internet. I had to check with my brother that I wasn't Berensteining myself.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you elvis around too much, someone will break your teeth.

Hound dogs, the lot of you.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ChubbyChecker posted:

what is an "elvis"?

A very good but also potentially unhealthy sandwich, see also it's king sized cousin the Fool's Gold Loaf

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RagnarokZ posted:

Another stupid Danish fact!

Thanks to the efforts of a single man, Johan Exner, 1100 Danish Churches had their surroundings protected against change, thanks to this one bored Danish priest. So if you look on a map over Danish protected areas: https://fredningsnaevn.dk/kort-over-fredninger/

You will see little random areas in most small towns, most of them are the result of Exner essentially decided that he didn't want ugly sheds near Churches, this also means that you can't build anything tall near Church without a poo poo ton of paperwork and permissions.

And just to make it even dumber, the Churches themselves aren't usually protected, it's just the surroundings.

France has similar issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD_AK9_b8bA

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

what is an "elvis"?

A miserable little pile of secrets.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A question for the historically inclined: A brother of an ancestor worked on a Danish ship that went to the "East Indies" in the early 1840s. Via several papers (mostly Danish ones, but also Javasche Courant and Singapore Free Press), I have confirmed that they were in Manila, Batavia (Jakarta), Singapore, Padang, and Banyuwangi.

I assume they travelled by the southern route, ie. via the Cape of Good Hope, and so I've gone through De Zuid-Afrikaan's "Shipping Intelligence" columns for the relevant months, but I've had no luck there. They mostly mention English, French, and Dutch ships, but they do also mention Danish, German, Norwegian, and Swedish ships so idk what the criteria was there. Are there other newspapers from Cape Town or even from other ports along the route that would be worth checking out? Are they online?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

A question for the historically inclined: A brother of an ancestor worked on a Danish ship that went to the "East Indies" in the early 1840s. Via several papers (mostly Danish ones, but also Javasche Courant and Singapore Free Press), I have confirmed that they were in Manila, Batavia (Jakarta), Singapore, Padang, and Banyuwangi.

I assume they travelled by the southern route, ie. via the Cape of Good Hope, and so I've gone through De Zuid-Afrikaan's "Shipping Intelligence" columns for the relevant months, but I've had no luck there. They mostly mention English, French, and Dutch ships, but they do also mention Danish, German, Norwegian, and Swedish ships so idk what the criteria was there. Are there other newspapers from Cape Town or even from other ports along the route that would be worth checking out? Are they online?

ask from here too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thx, gonna try :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In april 1907 several waiters in Paris went on strike, one of their demands was the right to grow a mustache. The reason for this was that only members of the upper class was allowed to grow one and finally the working class had had enough of it. One newspaper even wrote that their wives was perfectly happy to starve rather than having their husbands be forced to shave. By may the strikers had won and could wear their mustaches while working as waiters.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 16:58 on May 1, 2022