Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Steve Yun posted:

Crazy theory time: The Lands Between is Afghanistan

There were several outside parties occupying it, then a superpower comes along and occupies it and effectively pushes everyone else out. The superpower’s defining trait is exerting its will over the land. A long time passes and it seems to have lost interest in running the place.

Ranni’s ending represents anti-colonialism, where she fucks off, leaving them alone with little outside meddling.

Who's obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Gostoc ofc

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've posted before that I really don't understand why Godskin Duo is even in the game. The room they're in didn't need to have a boss fight anyway, so if there weren't enough resources to make a unique one, there didn't need to be one at all and nobody would've noticed.

I think I figured it out: they're there for the same reason a grace spawns in every major boss room even if there's a grace right outside the same room. It's "The Rules." This time, the rule of the game is that every official Legacy Dungeon has two required boss fights in it, with no exceptions. For example (spoiler tags just in case):
  • Stormveil Castle: Margit, Godrick
  • Academy of Raya Lucaria: Red Wolf of Radagon, Rennala
  • Volcano Manor: Godskin Noble, Rykard
  • Leyndell: Fake Godfrey, Morgott
  • Elphael: Loretta, Malenia
So that means that Crumbling Farum Azula needs two bosses, too, or it's breaking The Rules. And while Placidusax is there, he's not a required fight, so he doesn't "count." He's off the path and not required to get through the dungeon, just like mini-Mohg in the sewers under Leyndell. Thus, Godskin Duo.

Nobody else probably cares about this but I had a brief moment of pattern recognition and thought it was mildly interesting.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

HampHamp posted:

Nope! Didn't count unfortunately. I'll give the rolling R1 a go, I'll take any help I can get! The main issues for me are the waterfowl thing (I can avoid it entirely if I'm far enough away and can sprint), and this little 2 hit combo she sometimes does when I attack her while she's just walking. I do that because the fight is very intense, and I don't want to drag it out too much; her follow ups are usually avoidable, but there's one very fast 1-2 hit that always catches me with the second one.

I've only had a few goes at phase 2, and waterfowl dance there is usually death. Also seems like she has a lot more followups to abilities which are punishable in phase 1. Also - when she does the big flower dive bomb thing, how do you avoid taking damage after the second roll? I always seem to take a little bit of damage there.

In phase 1 she seems to do waterfowl at half health. So be aware of that and always create space after attacking

Also, no buffs? Are you a pure str build? At the very least you should be eating boiled crab before the start of the fight. Assuming you did that quest. And at the start of phase 2.

Also, you can bring a bow for phase 2 when she is in her flower. Does a bit of damage for free.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Are there any good looking character slider settings around?

Do the settings for Dark Souls 3 work for Elden Ring?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So close!! It was interesting watching this because we have very similar play styles. I think the big differences are in using two colossal great swords with bleed on them (the bleed damage really stacks up) and I have a great shield equipped that I switch to for waterfowl dance. Makes me way heavier, and she heals off the attack, but I take nearly no damage from it (most of the time).

The attack on having the most trouble with, is the one where she closes the game to do a couple swipes in quick succession. I haven’t found the best way to dodge it yet.

dodge towards and to left

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Sorry if I've missed it in the thread, but has anyone had trouble with boss arena graces being interactive after the last patch? I now have to teleport away and re-enter the room for the bosses I've done so far this playthrough (Leonine Beast and Margitt)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Harrow posted:

I've posted before that I really don't understand why Godskin Duo is even in the game. The room they're in didn't need to have a boss fight anyway, so if there weren't enough resources to make a unique one, there didn't need to be one at all and nobody would've noticed.

I think I figured it out: they're there for the same reason a grace spawns in every major boss room even if there's a grace right outside the same room. It's "The Rules." This time, the rule of the game is that every official Legacy Dungeon has two required boss fights in it, with no exceptions. For example (spoiler tags just in case):
  • Stormveil Castle: Margit, Godrick
  • Academy of Raya Lucaria: Red Wolf of Radagon, Rennala
  • Volcano Manor: Godskin Noble, Rykard
  • Leyndell: Fake Godfrey, Morgott
  • Elphael: Loretta, Malenia
So that means that Crumbling Farum Azula needs two bosses, too, or it's breaking The Rules. And while Placidusax is there, he's not a required fight, so he doesn't "count." He's off the path and not required to get through the dungeon, just like mini-Mohg in the sewers under Leyndell. Thus, Godskin Duo.

Nobody else probably cares about this but I had a brief moment of pattern recognition and thought it was mildly interesting.

Narratively it also fits kind of with Malekith having been the one to conquer the Godskins and their Gloam-Eyed Queen for Marika.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Disco Pope posted:

Sorry if I've missed it in the thread, but has anyone had trouble with boss arena graces being interactive after the last patch? I now have to teleport away and re-enter the room for the bosses I've done so far this playthrough (Leonine Beast and Margitt)

sometimes the interaction point gets set a few meters away from the grace. Check around it and you'll generally be able to rest at a point close by

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Haven’t tried dodging towards, I’ll give that a shot!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Takes No Damage posted:

Oof, could have told you that would happen :( Fall damage isn't complicated, it's just unintuitive.

0-16m - no damage
16m - 19.9999999m - an increasing amount of damage
20m+ - ded

I've used rainbow (prism) stones for the first time on a regular basis in this game. It's definitely the open world part of it screwing up my intuition on "oh that's definitely where I'm supposed to go" that I used to have in the tightly wound maps of olde.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

lol at the tryhard who sent me home after I triggered a trap. We're going to fight a single erdtree watchdog its not exactly challenging

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Cowcaster posted:

does anyone remember 20 years ago when there was a mass effect thread and someone did up a little graphics that was like the "mass effect discussion spiral" and all the conversation points just repeated themselves swirling down into the abyss, because if there were one for the elden ring thread there would definitely be something on there like

"i can't defeat [insert boss here] they're the worst designed bullshit from has ever made in their entire history"

"have you tried [literally any mechanic, item, or strategy alternative to the one being used]?"

"no i don't want to"

It's the "stop spending so much on candles" meme, but Elden Ring.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Disco Pope posted:

someone wrote a message right on the boss grace furthest south of the map behind the castle (forget the name) and now I can't use it and its driving me crazy. No other issues i've found like this though

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Annath posted:

Are there any good looking character slider settings around?

Do the settings for Dark Souls 3 work for Elden Ring?

zulie published character slider settings for all the npcs.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

There were several outside parties occupying it, then a superpower comes along and occupies it and effectively pushes everyone else out. The superpower’s defining trait is exerting its will over the land. A long time passes and it seems to have lost interest in running the place.

Ranni’s ending represents anti-colonialism, where she fucks off, leaving them alone with little outside meddling.

I've been there and still don't see where Siofra River fits into Afghanistan. There's also a lack of spanish and italian armymen talking about football in The Lands Between.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

someone wrote a message right on the boss grace furthest south of the map behind the castle (forget the name) and now I can't use it and its driving me crazy. No other issues i've found like this though
It's invisible and misplaced a few feet away. FROM's fault, not some messaging rando.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

In phase 1 she seems to do waterfowl at half health. So be aware of that and always create space after attacking

Also, no buffs? Are you a pure str build? At the very least you should be eating boiled crab before the start of the fight. Assuming you did that quest. And at the start of phase 2.

Also, you can bring a bow for phase 2 when she is in her flower. Does a bit of damage for free.

Yeah pure str build. I'm not using buffs because I wanted to get a good few tries at her before beginning to use consumables - the video i posted is actually only the 3rd time I got to phase 2!

I havent tried boiled crab out, I'll see if I can get some. I think I've done the boilprawn guys questline, not sure.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Guillermus posted:

I've been there and still don't see where Siofra River fits into Afghanistan. There's also a lack of spanish and italian armymen talking about football in The Lands Between.

(Scratches out Afghanistan and writes in Middle East)

It’s the Tigris and Euphrates!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I’m sure this must exist somewhere in this thread but there’s no way i’ll be able to dig through it all to find it: I just hit level 50 and now have all my base stats roughly where I want them. Is there any generally accepted method for continuing to level up? I’ve just been dumping into vigor but now I’m wondering if I should instead be evenly distributing it between a couple of stats instead. I know these games follow wonky scaling curves so I don’t know which way is necessarily ‘best’

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The Joe Man posted:

It's invisible and misplaced a few feet away. FROM's fault, not some messaging rando.

oh good to know.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

HaB posted:

It's the "stop spending so much on candles" meme, but Elden Ring.

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 5, 2022

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I've seen this too, a "hide message" feature would be loving sweet for all the "ladder" messages which stop being funny the 19th time.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

big shoutout to the designers for knowing that the only NPC I was going to kill would be thops and putting a horse platforming workaround for the one thing that killing him apparently gates off

there's another one that you can't horse your way out of, you monster.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

This might be one of the bugged graces, because normally that shouldn't happen. There are a couple of boss graces that seem to have their "touch grace" interact prompt displaced from the actual visuals by a few meters.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

YanniRotten posted:

there's another one that you can't horse your way out of, you monster.

Look I needed an academy glintstone staff and it was too far away to get the glintstone key and besides I couldn't even use it because my INT was 3 levels too low oh god I AM a monster

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I’m sure this must exist somewhere in this thread but there’s no way i’ll be able to dig through it all to find it: I just hit level 50 and now have all my base stats roughly where I want them. Is there any generally accepted method for continuing to level up? I’ve just been dumping into vigor but now I’m wondering if I should instead be evenly distributing it between a couple of stats instead. I know these games follow wonky scaling curves so I don’t know which way is necessarily ‘best’

this is based on nothing but my own three playthroughs since i don't really read anything about how these games work but for vigour and END level them until the returns are too diminishing or the game gets too easy, for the other stats level them to reach whatever stat requirements of weapons you want to use. and then you can boost them up to like 60-70 where they still scale well. the later in the game, the better the damage stats are, since the scaling improves with big numbers on your weapon.

you will get access to super easy, technically limited respeccing (but i found like 10 of the respec item on my first playthrough) fairly early so don't worry too much about the specifics.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Just beat Godrick, stormveil was awesome. Now I'm wondering if his axe is worth ditching my +6 heavy claymore for...

Also I completely gave up on parrying until I realized that the heater shield is just bad at it. Slapped on a small shield and it's like a different game now. Highly recommended

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
throwing carian retaliation/golden parry on a shield will also improve the parry frames

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Respeccing is relatively cheap. You can get 3 or 4 larval tears pretty easy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

How much Vigor do you have? I think the usually recommended breakpoints are 30 Vigor by the time you're running around in Liurnia, 40 Vigor before you do the big dungeon in Altus, and at least 50 by endgame. Vigor gives good returns all the way to 60 but you probably don't need to go that far unless you're doing PvP or multiple NG+ cycles.

Beyond that, just level the stats that increase the power of the weapon(s) or spells you want to use, maybe get more Endurance or Mind if you find that you need equip load or you're running out of FP more often than you want (and don't want to carry around more cerulean flasks). Soft caps for damage stats are higher in Elden Ring than in other Souls games--stats like Strength and Dexterity give good returns all the way to 80 this time--so you won't have to worry about overcapping on your stats until very late. If you're running a Strength build, it pays to put like 10-15 points into Faith because you can get a good selection of incantations and then scale them with Strength using the Clawmark Seal.

Respeccing is pretty easy. Just exploring around and doing dungeons will get you like 10 respec items without even really trying, and there are almost double that number available per playthrough if you find some of the more hidden ones. So if you find that things aren't going as well as you hoped, you can change things up fairly easily.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 5, 2022

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Pick your favourite weapon and pump up the stat it scales best with.

Look up the spells/incantations in the game and pump up to whatever lets you cast what you want.

If you want to have an easier time with a few bosses, level your Mind to the point that you have 134FP so that you can summon Black Knife Tiche.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bewilderment posted:

If you want to have an easier time with a few bosses, level your Mind to the point that you have 134FP so that you can summon Black Knife Tiche.

Alternatively, you can use the physick flask tear that gives you unlimited FP for 10 seconds to summon her without needing any FP at all. Though that does require sacrificing one of your physick bonus slots and maybe that's worth more than the levels you'd put into Mind, depends on the player and build.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I tend to level pretty evenly. Endurance and vigor keeping pace with each other and maybe putting a lot more points into my damage stat if I feel comfortable enough with the other two.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I get my main damage stat to 60 and focus on upgrades and then do vigor / end / mind when I hit a roadblock.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man, when I got to the end of the video and I saw the fog gate was still up I felt so bad for you :smith:

yep i felt like they intentionally added her parting speech so that you can't end the fight in a tie

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Steve Yun posted:

You know, back when this thing first came out I was wondering if naming the god/queen "Marika" was a vehicle for them to insert a bunch of subtle commentary and analogies about America. And this theory proves that was undoubtedly the case.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Northern Alliance working to undermine the ruling government is faithfully depicted by Mohg too, the pieces are all coming together

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

No Dignity posted:

The Northern Alliance working to undermine the ruling government is faithfully depicted by Mohg too, the pieces are all coming together

also like the northern alliance mohg has kidnapped a young boy to be his 'consort'

edit:

also i just noticed that the knight armour you can buy at roundtable hold is a pristine version of vyke's burned fingerprint armour.

i also think that the problem with vyke is that he kept his armour on when the three fingers grabbed him and it cooked his brain or something, like it interfered with the process and he went mad. that's why hyetta specifies that YOU have to take your armour off to go and see the three fingers, where clearly vyke did not.

edit edit:

i also forgot this theory i had that i forgot to post: the elden lord and the deathbed companion are basically the same thing. both gather the essence of many champions and take it into themselves, both eventually give themself to resuscitate a dead lord. the death of the elden lord is more metaphorical, but seen in the case of godfrey. when he became lord, hoarah loux died and was replaced with his godfrey persona. Fia, like the player tarnished, was destined to bring life back to a certain individual, but Fia's destiny was interrupted by her own resurrection so she chose her own lord to die for this time. The player can choose to do the same and reject the path of the two fingers and pick any other they want.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

also like the northern alliance mohg has kidnapped a young boy to be his 'consort'

edit:

also i just noticed that the knight armour you can buy at roundtable hold is a pristine version of vyke's burned fingerprint armour.

i also think that the problem with vyke is that he kept his armour on when the three fingers grabbed him and it cooked his brain or something, like it interfered with the process and he went mad. that's why hyetta specifies that YOU have to take your armour off to go and see the three fingers, where clearly vyke did not.

Thank you for explaining my joke :)