Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

How many strips does it take for Luann to realize she's not bad at this and she didn't have to put out for the middle school kid?

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

When Batiuk finally loses his faculties but nobody wants to admit it (lest the money stop) the strip is just going to become an endless series of 3 wordless panels where people cock their heads and smirk at one another :smug:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon

Gahan

My scanner will be down for a bit while I remodel my office, so I'll be taking a short break, but Gahan & Guindon will return...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Speaking of artists who seem to understand technology more than the computer focused strips.

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean
As someone their age, back in the 80s nobody loving cared if a girl was in the arcade playing video games.

An individual hogging a popular game, however, would piss everyone off. There's a reason only so many quarters fit on the join between the glass and button board and it's cheating to keep putting quarters up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

fondue posted:

As someone their age, back in the 80s nobody loving cared if a girl was in the arcade playing video games.

Oh God, I remember being so irritated at people talking about video games as if they were boy-only back in the dark days of Gamergate psychopathy.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/4/02

Brenda Starr 6/27/48

Smokey Stover 2/23/47

Everyday Movies 1/5/35

"You know, Bill, my wife's a particular person."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Once again, Batiuk passes a trophy from a woman to a man.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

The saxophone is a woodwind. :colbert:

Giant Ethicist posted:

Rootless Market: The "Well, that escalated quickly" wrapup!

Timg'd so you can see the two-page spread right-to-left:

Which means that tomorrow I'll get into Maroka's new, more different "cyberpunk / mid-20th-century mashup bar comic"! (It's pretty good so far!)

This rules

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

In my head Gigamutton sounds like Tamatoa from Moana.

This also rules

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 06, 1950)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo that king better hope Aleta's ladies aren't in there just out of panel frame cause someone is losing his eyes/getting his rear end kicked if so.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P
It's time for some actual multi-panel comics.
First up is The 3 small men (and the number man).
It does not follow a standard panel layout, but the panels are numbered.
It's pretty much the same page laoyout as Boss Dharma, if that helps to get you in the right mindset.

"But didn't you post one with regularly placed panels before?"
Yes, one where the panels had been cut apart and rearranged (not by me):

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

Computoon: Origins

:lol: Most people just use folding chairs.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Maybe I'm just not "with it" anymore, but this does indeed seem like a stupid way to promote protein bars made with cricket flour.

Mary Worth

It's too bad she doesn't know anyone who has taught at a university for a long time.

The Phantom

Jesus Christ just stop.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Splint Chesthair!

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Splint Chesthair!

Flint Ironstag!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Jesus Christ just stop.

Which has been going on longer - Moz's story or Popeye's demon storyline?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "134 - Jucika Is A Bit Of A Careerist"

"135 - Jucika And The Zipper Repair"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Murdstone posted:

Maybe I'm just not "with it" anymore, but this does indeed seem like a stupid way to promote protein bars made with cricket flour.

yes, which makes this extremely realistic

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Back from vacation. Instead of a single gigantic dump, I'll just post two a day until we're caught up.

The Family Circus

Bizarro

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

M

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Mister Sun

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Jesus Christ just stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Weembles posted:

Which has been going on longer - Moz's story or Popeye's demon storyline?

At least things are actually happening in the Popeye demon storyline now. It's way more enjoyable than when it was weeks upon weeks of "I'm mad that baby went ptooey at me, I will go ptooey back!"

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True April 15, 1919

Lighten up, FrancisEverett.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Am I the only one who finds Heart of the City creepy? Something about the characters just throw me off. Maybe it's the bugeyes or the weird half-smile. Nothing I can quite place, and it doesn't make any sense; there's nothing wrong with the art.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Mozz: "And then, your GRANDCHILDREN..." Guy could give lessons to Scheherazade. Or take a few; at least her individual stories were short before she stacked them 3 deep.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Someone asked me yesterday, is Tackleford now close to the sea? It has ALWAYS been close to the sea! Here's a classic tale that was almost 100% nautical!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Remembering first dreams

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: Remembering first dreams

owns

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Cobalt-60 posted:

Am I the only one who finds Heart of the City creepy? Something about the characters just throw me off. Maybe it's the bugeyes or the weird half-smile. Nothing I can quite place, and it doesn't make any sense; there's nothing wrong with the art.

Everyone seems to hate it for reasons I don't understand, I don't even understand the "boxy art" complaint.

Because of this I have decided it is my new favorite strip and we are going to have it every single day until I get COVID again.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Vargo posted:

Everyone seems to hate it for reasons I don't understand, I don't even understand the "boxy art" complaint.

Because of this I have decided it is my new favorite strip and we are going to have it every single day until I get COVID again.

The Cycle of Violence™ continues

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Vargo posted:

See, I wouldn't say I hate it, but I do find it very... Not good? Not actively bad, but definitely not good. For me, the best example of this is the strip that could be summed up as "Ha ha, chips sure are salty and kids sure do love that!"

A perfect example of something having the cadence of a joke, but no actual discernable humour.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Vargo posted:

You are a credit to our people.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I don't find Heart of the City creepy, just uninteresting. That one character still looks like Bert the muppet in a wig, though.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

EasyEW posted:

Dok's Tafty Duck (January 14, 1914)

Lol, Taft fat

JethroMcB posted:

How many strips does it take for Luann to realize she's not bad at this and she didn't have to put out for the middle school kid?

She'd have to recognize that Axel was flirting with her. Luann is the dumbest and most chaste teenager ever depicted in a comic, and possibly all media

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Philosophical Online Animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hattie Masters posted:

A perfect example of something having the cadence of a joke, but no actual discernable humour.

I don't have a strong opinion about Heart but this is absolutely a criticism I'd level at Storm P before just about any other comic being posted.