Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Aaaah this had never occurred to me until now but they have to use expensive copper structural bolts because iron bolts in the hull would be corroded by the electrical connection with the sea through the ship's copper sheathing. I wondered why they used copper pins in the keel that incentivized the dockyard stealing it like with the Polychrest or the Worcester. They can't use iron in anything that might touch the copper sheathing!

Galvanic corrosion is certainly a thing that shipbuilders of the time recognized: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion#Royal_Navy_and_HMS_Alarm)

But copper nails were a tradition of boatbuilding anyway, I'm pretty sure because copper corrosion is vastly friendlier than how iron rusts. Water doesn't affect copper much. Oxygen (including dissolved oxygen in water) causes a layer to form that drastically slows down any further corrosion. Rust just keeps loving going. "Rust never sleeps."

Phy fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Phy posted:

Galvanic corrosion is certainly a thing that shipbuilders of the time recognized: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion#Royal_Navy_and_HMS_Alarm)

But copper nails were a tradition of boatbuilding anyway, I'm pretty sure because copper corrosion is vastly friendlier than how iron rusts. Water doesn't affect copper much. Oxygen (including dissolved oxygen in water) causes a layer to form that drastically slows down any further corrosion. Rust just keeps loving going. "Rust never sleeps."

Same film is mildly toxic too so stops weed and animal growth on the hull

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Arglebargle III posted:

Aaaah this had never occurred to me until now but they have to use expensive copper structural bolts because iron bolts in the hull would be corroded by the electrical connection with the sea through the ship's copper sheathing. I wondered why they used copper pins in the keel that incentivized the dockyard stealing it like with the Polychrest or the Worcester. They can't use iron in anything that might touch the copper sheathing!

Iron also reacts with the wood and causes it to rot.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

If you haven't seen them, the youtube series following the rebuild/restoration of the 1910 wooden sailing yacht Tally Ho is excellent at getting across various wooden ship construction techniques, and their rationales. The work is ongoing (they just poured a new lead ballast keel!) and the videos are super detailed and engaging. And as someone who works mostly with computers it's really satisfying to watch all that manual labor add up to something increasingly tangible. Obviously it isn't 1:1 with 19th century warships, but it gives you an idea of how complex even a relatively small boat is to build, and they're sticking as close to the original plans and using traditional materials and techniques as much as possible. I'll definitely go in to my next read through with much clearer pictures in my head, especially when Jack is consulting with Chips.

Here's a bit explaining why they're casting bronze floors (brackets between the frames and keel timber). Later they cast bronze knees!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foDRc2X_Utg&t=388s

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the Lego thread in DIY

Phy posted:

This fellow built HMS Diana, a fifth rate frigate constructed in the late 18th century, using all Lego parts including thread for the rigging

https://imgur.com/gallery/fto2NUQ

Diana was a 38 gun to Surprise's... 24? 28? The exact count in the books escapes me right now, and whether her historical complement of carronades is included in that. Anyway Diana's bigger. But, they were both launched in 1794 within a couple months of eachother!

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 31, 2022

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Phy posted:

Crossposting from the Lego thread in DIY

Diana was a 38 gun to Surprise's... 24? 28? The exact count in the books escapes me right now, and whether her historical complement of carronades is included in that. Anyway Diana's bigger. But, they were both launched in 1794 within a couple months of eachother!

Carronades were never count on a ship of the line, I think the Diana as a 5th rate, just sneaks in. Same for frigates too, assume it's the same for 'a dear old barky'

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Surprise is a 28 gun 6th rate masquerading as a 5th rate. It's why she's occasionally called a jackass frigate. At 600ish tons and with a gun deck that would be happier carrying 8 or 9 lb guns she's just barely larger than a corvette.

In fact it's incongruous that O'Brian describes her as both overgunned and a fast sailor.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 31, 2022

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jRhEiibhCc

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It took me the better part of two years, but I finally finished the series tonight for the first time. It’s also the first time in a long time where I felt… depressed isn’t the right word, but forlorn about finishing? The characters in the book were with me during a lonely time in my life, and reading a 20 book series on friendship was helpful to me. I look forward to giving it another read through soon!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It took me the better part of two years, but I finally finished the series tonight for the first time. It’s also the first time in a long time where I felt… depressed isn’t the right word, but forlorn about finishing? The characters in the book were with me during a lonely time in my life, and reading a 20 book series on friendship was helpful to me. I look forward to giving it another read through soon!

Having a feeling of not quite loss, not quite emptiness is normal in these circumstances. You'll adjust, after all, they're still sailing onward.

It's starting to be time for my first re-read.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Good book postpartum is no joke! The happy news is: The A/M books are even better on re-read.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have been rationing the series out for a few per year precisely because I don't want to come to this point. I still have two to go but started Master & Commander in 2015!

(It's also because I like to read them when travelling or at the very least in summer on the beach; because it's useful to have books that I know I'll like in reserve for long plane rides - I think I read a full one in a single sitting on the way to Europe in 2019 and another in a single sitting on the way back; and because two years of pandemic lockdowns sitting in my one-bedroom apartment was a miserable and isolating time when I did not want to read about rich companionship and sailing over the horizon)

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

This gets linked here every so often and is a nice thing to read after finishing the series https://www.tor.com/2011/02/28/forever-bailing-patrick-obrians-last-unfinished-novel-and-the-end-of-the-aubrey-matrurin-series/

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sax Solo posted:

Good book postpartum is no joke!

Haha, Stephen, you've dished 'em! Take up mine joke then, for it is light....no, that's not quite it...

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Sax Solo posted:

Good book postpartum is no joke!

I have felt that feeling so many times, and never had anything to call it. Thank you.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Thank you dear colleagues, your kind words do give me joy. I read 21 and enjoyed it, short though it was. I found that the first chapter of POB’s books often close out the novel that preceded it, and for that alone I was glad to give 21 a chance.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 6, 2022

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I think it's interesting how, instead of being like (buildup, climax, epilogue) per book, they started being chopped up like:

... buildup, climax) (epilogue, buildup, climax) (epilogue, buildup, climax)

Which is probably how you want to do it when your main concern is getting the books out the door and you know the publisher will buy another. The Temeraire books also got like that IIRC.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

O'Brian inserts his opinions on denouement into the series. You cannot miss it.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Anyone listen to the lubbers hole podcast? I started at episode 87, the re-read of the series. Good so far.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I listen to it when I need plot refreshers on the early books since I'm up to Reverse of the Medal. I like it. The hosts have a good rapport and sometimes they have interesting guests on like that Jane Austen re-enactor.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Prolonged Panorama posted:

If you haven't seen them, the youtube series following the rebuild/restoration of the 1910 wooden sailing yacht Tally Ho is excellent at getting across various wooden ship construction techniques, and their rationales. The work is ongoing (they just poured a new lead ballast keel!) and the videos are super detailed and engaging. And as someone who works mostly with computers it's really satisfying to watch all that manual labor add up to something increasingly tangible. Obviously it isn't 1:1 with 19th century warships, but it gives you an idea of how complex even a relatively small boat is to build, and they're sticking as close to the original plans and using traditional materials and techniques as much as possible. I'll definitely go in to my next read through with much clearer pictures in my head, especially when Jack is consulting with Chips.

Here's a bit explaining why they're casting bronze floors (brackets between the frames and keel timber). Later they cast bronze knees!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foDRc2X_Utg&t=388s

I started watching this a couple weeks ago and I'm up to the point they're casting the knees, and yeah it makes some of the construction terminology a whole lot clearer. Also just the amount of work that goes in, and the training necessary to oversee building a ship.

It's fascinating seeing an organically developed technology, and I'm not necessarily talking about the wood itself so much as that these are methods that arose through trial and error over centuries to cope with, and harness the good qualities of, wood. My brain is trained to think in terms of line production and standardized parts, but the nature of the materials available means that's not really possible here. You're going to have to cut and fair each frame individually anyway, so why not make them all different down the length of the hull to maximize the desired hydrodynamic character of the ship? Oh but also you have to angle the cuts in all three dimensions in a way that is not easy to communicate on paper, and also also you have to shave a little extra off in spots to make sure there's no little dips or bulges in the line, because it's just loving wood, why not? But now every frame is different so every floor or knee is individually built or cast too, and... It's unfamiliar and exciting, and my god, if this is what it takes to put together a smallish single-masted yacht, imagine the work that went into a frigate, let alone a ship of the line!

Kind of depressing there's basically one guy with an OSHA.jpg operation in the States doing live oak, but then I guess there's not a ton of call for it any more.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Phy posted:

Kind of depressing there's basically one guy with an OSHA.jpg operation in the States doing live oak, but then I guess there's not a ton of call for it any more.

It's cause white oak does the trick 98% as well and is actually straight, and almost nobody does grown frames anyway.

Watching Tally Ho get built makes me appreciate how much better the later builders from the 19th century understood wooden boats than the ones who built the Surprise in the 18th.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Molybdenum posted:

Anyone listen to the lubbers hole podcast? I started at episode 87, the re-read of the series. Good so far.

Yeah it's really good - which is a good thing because as far as I can tell it's the only Aubrey-Maturin podcast out there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've just noticed that literally every time Maturin is asked to multiply numbers he gets it t wrong.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Over the weekend I made:

Lemon shrub
Negus
Frumenty
Ships biscuit
Neeps hackit with balmogowrie

The neeps were a big hit with the kids.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Molybdenum posted:

Over the weekend I made:

Lemon shrub
Negus
Frumenty
Ships biscuit

How did the ship’s biscuit turn out? I’ve been tempted to try to make that on a few occasions now, but always lose my courage

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Molybdenum posted:

Over the weekend I made:

Lemon shrub
Negus
Frumenty
Ships biscuit

What on earth is balmogowrie

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How did the ship’s biscuit turn out? I’ve been tempted to try to make that on a few occasions now, but always lose my courage

I'd think it'd just be a really bland cracker, no? It's pretty much just flour and water with a pinch of salt if I recall correctly.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

See no weevil.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Mr. Mambold posted:

See no weevil.

And if you do, choose the lesser one

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Yeah it's like a quarter inch thick cracker. I put them in the bottom of a bowl of soup. By the time you get down there, they've softened a bit and are pretty good.

Balmogowrie is basically a mix of sour cream and buttermilk.

Adding a turnip to your mashed potatoes is a pretty good plan.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 30, 2022

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aubrey Maturin novels just got a big endorsement

https://twitter.com/AlisonBechdel/status/1534331494721900546?t=F2MKQeQITZsCZDTJy6x49Q&s=19

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A pair of Joe Manton dueling pistols, late 18th century.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/BretDevereaux/status/1538618764102713345?s=20&t=dbr4jBKMzgHOLumaYk8bOA

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Was a drunk sloth at the wheel?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

how are the hanging knees looking?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

poo poo's ahoo

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Never go full astern

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something