Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/A24/status/1511327800803872774

Looks treacly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm surprised that took so long to be made into a movie. Guess I shouldn't be due to the animation.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cubone posted:

I think, just no one has ever pitched me vikings in a way that makes it sound like something that I would be interested in seeing in narrative form
as a historical interest, sure, I'd probably watch a whole rear end documentary series about them

whenever somebody says something's about vikings, I guess I picture... a boat?
one of those long skinny ones with a ton of oars
probably lit in blue to indicate that it's night, but definitely with that kind of high-saturation high-contrast cheaply shot digital look of hour long TNT dramas

and I just imagine there's a lot of scenes of very serious conversations, or shots just showing how actual vikings attached a thing to a thing or made swords or whatever, instead of crazy viking poo poo like pillaging because pillaging is kind of expensive to shoot
or maybe the boat will sail through a storm while epic music plays 😴

and that's pretty much it, I basically just picture a boat in my head and go "what a stupid idea for a show" because I'm like a dumb guy

I don't know what a viking story looks like or what's compelling about it
like, by contrast, if you said "a submarine movie" a lot people would be like "oh, like hunt for red october" or "oh, like crimson tide" or the more cultured people might be like "oh, like das boot" and for some reason I'd be like "oohhh, like wrath of khan!"
because we know what a submarine movie looks like. we know what a sports movie looks like, we know what a spy movie looks like, we kiiinda know what a pirate movie looks like
but there hasn't been that definitive moment yet for vikings, I think. we don't have the shape of what a viking story is in a way that's permeated pop culture, so for me and joanne and cletus it just sounds vaguely boring because we have no reference point for how it could be interesting

:words:

watch Norsemen on netflix. it saved the entire concept of viking-themed media for me

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
How dare RLM not review the number one movie of April, Morbius

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It's morbin' time

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

looks cute. is thaht based on a tiks toks or youstube or something?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Space Kablooey posted:

watch Norsemen on netflix. it saved the entire concept of viking-themed media for me

I have to appreciate the effort they went to filming both English and Norwegian dialogue scenes. And everything involving the difficulty of making hand prostheses using 10th century metallurgy

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Andro Dunos posted:

I think I'd rather rewatch Star Trek V over I or III.

It's dumb and has cringey scenes (Uhura's fan dance is the worst thing ever put on celluloid) but the other two are just plain boring.

You have no honor.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

looks cute. is thaht based on a tiks toks or youstube or something?

YouTube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF9-sEbqDvU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Firebert posted:

How dare RLM not review the number one movie of April, Morbius

they did, but they got so drunk the liquor vapors coming from their bodies melted the files.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm sorry my posting upset you.

Lol, your not the one who posted that guy

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mordja posted:

My b. It is funny that there are people out there whining about Mike and Jay not covering the latest movie. HIIB apart from special episodes has seemed perfunctory for ages.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

more power to them for not wasting their time covering boring mainstream films that boil down to "they're fine".

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I have to appreciate the effort they went to filming both English and Norwegian dialogue scenes. And everything involving the difficulty of making hand prostheses using 10th century metallurgy

same. it's the little touches they go the extra mile for, like an anatopic (and probably anachronistic) cameo from everyone's favorite muslim 13th century world traveler

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Morbius more like Turdius

I'm perfectly fine with Mike and Rich reviewing a show I'll never watch while Mike being confused about wtf is going on with the show lmao

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i can't wait until morbius teams up with the eternals in whatever the next infinity war will be

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

i can't wait until morbius teams up with the eternals in whatever the next infinity war will be

They're gonna beat up that chatty guy at the end of Loki

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Oh I thought I was the only person to watch Norsemen, I never hear about it

It’s always Vikings this and Vikings that.

https://youtu.be/HpMvIZRUPf4

Norsemen was pretty funny, quite a random find for me

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mordja posted:

I’m sorry. So sorry. Extremely sorry. Forgive me. Please.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Mike getting extremely mad about the tricorder was great lol

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lmfao yes i do hahaha i just now googled "mask film" and burst out laughing

Thank you, I've been low key pissed since getting off work and this managed to break my bad mood.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh I thought I was the only person to watch Norsemen, I never hear about it

It’s always Vikings this and Vikings that.

https://youtu.be/HpMvIZRUPf4

Norsemen was pretty funny, quite a random find for me

Norsemen was pretty fun. The titular 'Vikings' show is pretty good in terms of a period piece but I stopped watching after the second season or so. Valhalla Rising is great but it's more like a dark ages Apocalypse Now and not so much a movie about vikings. I feel like there's a couple other netflix things that are around the time period and decent enough but not viking centric. Don't remember what they are called though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Mike grieving for Star Trek is better content than a Batman review would be, and is in fact better content than The Batman itself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DiHK posted:

Norsemen was pretty fun. The titular 'Vikings' show is pretty good in terms of a period piece but I stopped watching after the second season or so. Valhalla Rising is great but it's more like a dark ages Apocalypse Now and not so much a movie about vikings. I feel like there's a couple other netflix things that are around the time period and decent enough but not viking centric. Don't remember what they are called though.

You're probably thinking of The Last Kingdom, but that's mainly Saxons versus Danes who have settled the Danelaw on the east of Britain, so they're not technically going viking anymore as much as they're colonizers.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the vikings were pretty neat but i can't really get past how they could be real jerks sometimes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mozi posted:

the vikings were pretty neat but i can't really get past how they could be real jerks sometimes

I'm more of a Packers fan

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You know the thing where you're watching a documentary on penguins and the seal is the bad guy, and if you're watching a documentary on seals then the orca is the bad guy, and if you're watching a documentary on orcas the humans are just evil?

Anything historical is pretty much the same way. Feudal Japan was an absolute nightmare but if you show the mongols invading then it's "oh no those poor feudal warlords 🥺" or the English living in mud huts setting women on fire because menstruation is a curse from the devil but vikings show up and you're like "oh no those poor barbaric pig-poo poo-eaters had to cancel their woman-skinning festival"

It's well past time mongols and vikings got their due. They're the orcas of history. gently caress them seals.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, just found out that Kermode and Mayo's over, at least on BBC.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Oooohhhh… the magical deer is Democracy… what a trip……

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That sounds about right for Rowling.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Every time someone posts something about one of these fantastical beast films I think of the Lucas vs. Rowling meme.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

Huh, just found out that Kermode and Mayo's over, at least on BBC.

They’re doing a podcast now, I THINK on audible

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah but I only really ever watched the clipped film reviews they put out, so I hope they end up doing that again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm glad this neat little animation project is being made into a movie even though it doesn't look like my kind of thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Every time someone posts something about one of these fantastical beast films I think of the Lucas vs. Rowling meme.

Lucas can come up with good ideas that he has trouble implementing. Rowling has insane ideas that nobody stops her from implementing along with a dash of bigotry.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Rowling refuses to call her mrs. dash

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The opening for the recent picard review made me laugh Very hard

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Lucas can come up with good ideas

There’s more like it

He’s got some weird ideas, but at least he’s creative, which is more than 99.9% of Hollywood. Lucas still needs a good editor, help with directing, help with VFX, help with the script, producing, marketing and leaving his old works alone, basically people who tell him no don’t do this Georgie it is a bad idea

Other than that he’s quite a genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Lucas can come up with good ideas that he has trouble implementing. Rowling has insane ideas that nobody stops her from implementing along with a dash of bigotry.

Just a dash?