Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

serefin99 posted:

I DO find it a little funny how the thing that makes Hakuno certain the enemy is a Berserker is the ferocity of their attacks, considering we have Berserkers who aren't very vicious at all and non-Berserkers who would make actual Berserkers blush. I'd like them to try and use that logic nowadays.

Those angrier than berserkers tend to be Avengers though, aka the class so fukken angry they switch to berserker when they want to chill out a bit (see one Jeanne d'Arc Alter). I don't recall any (non joke) very angry servant that isn't a berserker primary, and even the chill berserkers are still fairly wild in battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Omobono posted:

Those angrier than berserkers tend to be Avengers though, aka the class so fukken angry they switch to berserker when they want to chill out a bit (see one Jeanne d'Arc Alter). I don't recall any (non joke) very angry servant that isn't a berserker primary, and even the chill berserkers are still fairly wild in battle.

I was talking more about their general fighting styles, rather than how angry they are. Super Orion, for example, is an Archer who primarily beats people to death with his own fists. Meanwhile, Salome is a Berserker whose attacks seem more Caster-y than anything else, at least to me.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Omobono posted:

Aśvatthāman from the Indian guys. He literally has a skill with the effect "yeah he's always loving mad". He does not lose reason and actually can be quite nice, but that just means he's fuming on the inside so I think he counts :v:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Wait, what is going on with the description of Lu Bu's weapon? Crafted because the smith thought Lu Bu was the reincarnation of the war god Guan Yu... you know, that guy who is also a major RoTK character and only becomes a god after the events of the novel?

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Smiling Knight posted:

Wait, what is going on with the description of Lu Bu's weapon? Crafted because the smith thought Lu Bu was the reincarnation of the war god Guan Yu... you know, that guy who is also a major RoTK character and only becomes a god after the events of the novel?

On top of how Chen Gong has never, to my knowledge at least, been regarded as a smith - he was a minor official that wound up as Lu Bu's advisor.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Cheng Gong was a mage in the nasuverse, so... possibly the discrepencies can be chalked up to that.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Update LXI - Nutcracker doll - VS Berserker

Music: Down to Dawn

Let's just skip to this, shall we?

This round, the bulletin board was tampered with to show my name, but not my opponent's. After an escape from the unknown Master, I found residue of their magic in the mark their attack left on the school building. Right, and the source of that magic was...

Blind Rage.

Right. Upon investigating the damage done to the wall the next day, Rin guessed the Servant had unleashed its Blind Rage. After that, I finally encountered my opponent on the second floor. They wore the guise of an effigy, but inside was a strong warrior. The enemy Servant's class was...

I thought it was a Berserker.

Right, the Servant's attack pattern screamed Berserker. Additionally, from the power of the Servant's attacks, I felt they had to be a famous Heroic Spirit. In order to repel the effigy, Rin used a uniquely calibrated Firewall Bypass she had prepared earlier. From its effects, it seemed Rin knew the true name of the Servant, and the identity of the Master. She called the Noble Phantasm...

The Five Kitties of Cuddly Squee!

Yeah right. I only WISH I was lucky enough to be done in by fluffy-wuffy kitties of doom... *Meow* The Noble Phantasm's name, according to Rin, was...

The Five Whirling Dervishes

No. Catchy, but no. Definitely no. But maybe— NO. The Noble Phantasm's name, according to Rin, was...

I think this is the only set in the game that gives two separate joke answers.

The Five Warriors of Guan Yu

Right. The Noble Phantasm I'll be facing is called God Force, the Five Warriors of Guan Yu. It is guided by a halberd named Sky Piercer, that can decapitate, pierce, strike, wallop, and sweep.

Said blade comes from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and belonged to Lu Bu Feng Xian. I had actually seen him once before, fighting as a Servant in the battle between two of my friends. His Master is Rani VIII. That girl, who saved me from danger time and time again, is now my opponent. But I— I will fight fiercely. The Coliseum doors beckon now.

Just like with Cu, Level E nets us his background and nothing else.

Character Background posted:

His name is synonymous with treachery and betrayal, though his fame as a mighty general was known throughout the period of Chinese history known as the era of the Three Kingdoms.

His martial abilities are so advanced that he can easily be classified in any of the five classes present in the Holy Grail War: Lancer, Rider, Assassin, Berserker and Archer.

Video: Week 6 Elimination Battle (Rin Route)

Here's hoping they didn't reuse lines for Rani...

Music: Duel - Prelude to Confrontation

I wish you the best of luck today. Um... Did we need to talk about something before we reach the bottom? ...I have no questions of my own, but do you have any for me?

They actually didn't! After the letdown of Rin, Rani's pre-fight conversation is about as in-depth as Julius's!

Why are you fighting?

...Because I have been permitted to know a part of the Magnum Opus.

What's the "Magnum Opus"?

My professor told me that this war can lead to that transformation. Don't worry. Though my professor doesn't know how, what happens here is of import.

~

Do you have a wish you want granted?

My own wish...? I am an extension of my professor.

I am the pneuma breathed into my professor's plans to achieve their greatest wish.

I must defeat you and fulfill my role as the fifth element in this grand experiment. What use do I have for a "wish"?

This is the downside to Rin's route. On the other side, Rin dies knowing that Hakuno will be able to pull off her ultimate goal in her stead, but Rani? Rani never gets to move beyond being a doll, and will die thinking herself just a puppet for her professor to use.

~~

Why did you become an alchemist?

I was created to be an alchemist, and so I am one, and I desire to act as one to fulfill my mission.

T-that isn't something to smile about, Rani...

~

I don't get it...

I see... That is sad, but I admit my professor's teachings are quite difficult to comprehend. ...Indeed, my professor often said, "Humans just don't understand." If I were not so inexperienced, I could have illuminated the general concepts better. I apologize.

If the Atlas Institute is ever in your travels, please pay a visit to my professor.

Rani one of us will die in this fight, and even if Hakuno wasn't an AI bound to the Moon Cell, I don't think your professor would be pleased to meet the one who killed their final homunculus.

Oh hey, I completely forgot her professor actually gets named here.

The scene advances here, so back up to the top.

How can you be so confident?

...Um. Do you have the choice of "losing," perhaps?

It doesn't work like that.

I was designed to be the "winner." I was given superhuman strength so that I would emerge victorious. Things that are strong persevere; things that are weak fade away.

Because I am strong, I cannot lose.

~

I guess I do...

...You do? Insufficient ability will render the achievement of a desired result impossible. ...I apologize. A fight that has been settled before the combat is no fight at all.

My professor says that such a battle is consumption of the weaker by the stronger. It is slaughter.

The Atlas Institute originally prohibited that sort of battle, but in this case... I apologize. I will have to engage you anyway.

~~

You sure like your professor.

The entirety of my being, including the content of my thoughts, was created by my professor— If that is what it means to trust, then I...trust my professor.

~

Let's not talk about your professor.

Is something wrong with it...?

The entirety of my being, including the content of my thoughts, was created by my professor—

To ignore the framework that my professor has provided me with is to deny my own existence.

Both choices advance the scene.

What ARE you?

I am Rani VIII. But, you already possessed that information, right?

Not your name. WHAT are you?

I am a homunculus. An artificial life form created by my professor.

Unfortunately, the refining process was lost some time ago. Thaumaturgy did not yet hold sway.

So, I am not a homunculus created by natural means. However, that knowledge, along with other lost information, will be restored once I obtain the Grail.

...I was hoping we could be friends?

:iceburn:

*Giggle*...

~

You're fascinating.

Um... You complimented me? In that case, I will accept your praise on behalf of my professor.

Heading back up a choice...

Then, who's the giant next to you?

His name...? It's Berserker. You mean he has...a real name? Really...? But--

That's... actually rather hosed up.

Good point, actually.

...How nice that I've finally met a Master whose opinions align with my own.

~

I don't think that's the issue here.

...? I do not understand...

And that's the final end point of the conversation.

She doesn't know what she's doing!

But, that's good news for you, Master! Even you can't feel bad about killing a doll!

Well then...

After giving a polite bow, she walks briskly toward the Coliseum, her long hair waving gently. The fierce giant trails after her, bellowing deeply. I step forward, but not without a bit of sadness for what I've just witnessed. The curtains have been raised on the sixth Elimination Battle—

Music: Duel - Friend Turned Foe (:siren: You should still listen to this. :siren:)

As you might expect, both versions of this fight reuse a lot of the same camera motions.

When the moon rises in the southern sky, all impurities will be cleansed and the proper conclusion reached.

Master, we ought to teach her what magic is all about.

Berserker, activate God Force! Connect magic circuits!

I, uh, actually died here.

See, there's a very simple rule to fighting Lu Bu: If you don't have full HP...

Stop. Lu Bu's damage is massive, and a single Skill that slips through can end Tamamo in a blink if she has any damage on her.

Like, I'm not kidding around when I say that this fight is the reason I raised Defense early on. With her base Defense, it wouldn't be out of the question for Fallible Bow to kill Tamamo from full.

On the plus side, this is the last unintentional death of the entire game! It's all smooth sailing from here.

Lu Bu comes in with sightly more HP than Cu, at 32K HP. He also doesn't get early access to his Noble Phantasm.

I ended up bringing the Malificent Garments into the fight, and what the hell is that Cast description?

While Rin went offense to back up Cu, Lu Bu's already stupidly high strength means Rani will go for a more defensive moveset. Remember: Magic covers both attack and defense, so this will take a good chunk out of Tamamo's Curses.

While the big guy himself adds a Stun to his Breaks, which would be very bad if he could ever land a normal hit, as two consecutive blows could easily kill Tamamo.

However, vanish_add(a); clears up both.

Also, turns out I've been an idiot about Tamamo's Curses. I played around when going through the week, and it turns out the unreliable stun chance is only on Chaos Heaven to balance out the Guard break bonus. Fiery and Frigid Heaven both have a 100% stun chance, plus higher base damage to boot!

As expected. We'll win at this rate.

...I hate Berserkers.

Funnily enough, he instantly reapplies Armistice.

Next turn Rani steps in with her other Code Cast.

A Defense buff, to pair nicely with her Magic buff.

However, as always, Tamamo doesn't give a poo poo about Defense.

Lu Bu's NP trigger is dipping below half HP.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Beginning to overheat... Endure it, Berserker.

A few more turns gets him under 9,999.

Aaaaaaand that's the NP line.

Unlike Cu, who would always use Gae Bolg at the end of the round, Lu Bu can use his NP at any point in the turn and will use Wait on every other action. Since it didn't get revealed in the preview, that means I have a 1/3 chance of getting it right.

So I just pop Aphotic Cave on every unknown move. :v:

Sure I'm burning 120 MP, but since blocking an NP refunds 100 I'll get most of it back. And trust me, you do not want Lu Bu to connect with this.

The first Cave whiffs.

I throw in a Sky-buffed Curse for kicks.

The second whiffs.

And it seems that Cave number 3 is our winner. What do we win?

910 damage.

Aphotic Cave blocks 75% of damage. Meaning that would deal 3.6K damage unblocked! As a quick heads up, Tamamo will not be breaking 3K HP by the end of the game. Hell, she won't even break 2K.

And if you'll recall, a normal Guard cuts skill damage by 50%, meaning even Guarding it would still deal 1.8K damage, more than enough to instantly kill her regardless of HP.

Lu Bu ended up becoming so infamous for utterly butchering glass cannon Tamamo builds that in Extella he's introduced as "the Tamamo Killer."

Thankfully, the fact that he only uses Five Warriors on that turn makes it easy to heal up if you can survive it.

I originally planned to use one last Sky-buffed Curse to finish it here, but I kinda fat fingered Chaos Heaven and its lower base damage nixed that plan. :v:

Oh no.

Oh no.

Lu Bu following up with a Guard is the only reason I survived this fight.

He doesn't get another chance.

He also has his own critical HP buff, Immortal Red Hare, that gives him an auto-revive, just like Cu. Unlike Cu's however, Lu Bu can and will reapply it every time it gets used up, forcing you to either kill him twice in one turn or use vanish_add(a); to clear it early.

Or just kill him before he's able to use it. :v:

Music: None

An explosive roar rips through the silence of the Coliseum.

Music: Goodbye

The crazed warrior's death growl shakes the earth. And yet, that massive frame gradually disintegrates into thin air.

Farewell, Lu Bu Feng Xian.

—The next moment, tranquility dominates the Coliseum once again.

The demise of the Servant who has been her companion this whole time does not faze Rani. She whispers something as she traces the back of her hand. Where her Command Seal used to be. That can only last so long. Her fingertip is already disintegrating.

She mumbles quietly as she raises her head, a slight smile on her face.

Rin gets a whole speech on how she's glad she lost to Hakuno, as at least she'll be able to entrust her dream to her, and asking Hakuno to enjoy life in her stead.

Rani gets two lines in her own death scene.

Farewell, Rani VIII.

The vanishing girl's lips mouth "goodbye." With hollow eyes and a sad little smile— Rani disappears. Not even a hint of her fragrance remains under this virtual sea.

Music: School III

Taiga's requests still count against the stat screen even if you never take the request, so the second floor is stuck like this.

Gate Halberd Shot posted:

Lu Bu excelled at archery and was especially adept at shooting from horseback, earning him the nickname the "Flying General." He was very close to Liu Bei, one of the heroes of the Three Kingdoms era of Chinese history, and considered him to be his brother. When Liu Bei found his armies surrounded by Ji Ling, an ally of Lu Bu, Lu Bu went alone to meet with the heads of the opposing sides in an effort to stop the impending bloodshed.

Upon arriving at the gate of Ji Ling's encampment, he ordered that a halberd be set into the ground 150 paces away from where he stood. He then turned to the two leaders, and said the following:

"I will shoot an arrow, and if it hits the small blade sticking out from the side of that halberd, you withdraw your forces immediately. If I miss, you are free to slaughter each other down to the last man."

Both the Earth and the Heavens aligned in perfect harmony, and Lu Bu's arrow hit the intended target, forcing Ji Ling to withdraw his forces.

Red Hare posted:

"Among men, Lu Bu; among horses, Red Hare." As Lu Bu was considered the most powerful warrior in China, so was his most favored horse considered the most powerful steed to be found in any of the major kingdoms. The animal would allow no other person to ride it, or even allow anyone but Lu Bu to handle its reins. Its physical prowess was also legendary and it has been said that Lu Bu managed to jump across a 30 meter wide moat while riding Red Hare.

Fortitude (B) posted:

Gives one the ability to negate any type of mental interference. It also improves the damage done by melee attack and increases one's bravery. However, as Lu Bu was sunmoned as a Berserker, the importance of bravery has been made moot.

Restless Soul (B) posted:

Gives one the temperament of a lone wolf; unable and unwilling to settle in one place or serve one master. This person will never be able to follow greatness, yet is incapable of finding greatness on his own. This skill negates the effect of Charisma skills of the same rank.

General of Recursion posted:

Lu Bu Feng Xian, the traitorous general mentioned in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

While he had considerable success on the field of battle, his legacy will be forever stained by his callous betrayal of the two men who took him in as a son. His military prowess elevated him to one of the strongest generals of the Three Kingdoms, though his inability to trust or follow led to his downfall. His lack of judgment was such that he slew Ding Yuan, the first of many confidants he betrayed, at the urgings of Dong Zhou, who was frequently referred to as the Demon Warlord. But once again Lu Bu's true nature emerged and he ended up slaying Dong Zhou.

After this second act of treason, he wandered around the provinces of North China, attempting to bring them all under his domination. However, his inability to rule led to his capture and execution by the general Cao Cao.

In the end, it was Lu Bu's hubris that brought him down as he believed that he was the mightiest general alive and that no one could defeat him. And although his patron Chen Gong was disappointed and disillusioned by him, he was able to use Lu Bu in his own machinations until his student's death.

Next time: We finally get out of Week 6.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 19, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LXI.I - Is silence best?

This is the second last time I'll have to die to a boss!

Music: Game Over

I really hope they change this intro line for Leo.

Hey, what are the odds, both Rin and Rani say exactly one thing before leaving!

Also, what is with this game and focusing on what Rani smells like?

Its cloying aroma overwhelms my senses until I begin to melt under it, and everything goes black—

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Week 6 (Rin Route) Information Matrix - Berserker

God Force: The Five Warriors of Guan Yu posted:

The true name given to Lu Bu Feng Xian's legendary halberd, the Sky Piercer. This weapon was considered the epitome of the weaponsmith's art as it perfectly balances all aspects of hand-to-hand combat into one formidable package.

The God Force was a masterpiece of Chinese weapons design created by the smith Chen Gong especially for Lu Bu, who he saw as the reincarnation of the ancient war god Guan Yu. Chen Gong believed that this god was responsible for the introduction of weaponry to the Chinese and strove to create a weapon that contained the strengths of all the weapons known to humanity at the time. This lead to the creation of Lu Bu's Noble Phantasm, which allows him to use his vast knowledge of the martial arts to adapt to and take advantage of his opponent's weaknesses.

Due to being under the effects of the Blind Rage enhancement, most of Lu Bu's skills have been erased from his mind and only his knowledge of the spear and of basic artillery (such as cannons) remains.

Gate Halberd Shot posted:

Lu Bu excelled at archery and was especially adept at shooting from horseback, earning him the nickname the "Flying General." He was very close to Liu Bei, one of the heroes of the Three Kingdoms era of Chinese history, and considered him to be his brother. When Liu Bei found his armies surrounded by Ji Ling, an ally of Lu Bu, Lu Bu went alone to meet with the heads of the opposing sides in an effort to stop the impending bloodshed.

Upon arriving at the gate of Ji Ling's encampment, he ordered that a halberd be set into the ground 150 paces away from where he stood. He then turned to the two leaders, and said the following:

"I will shoot an arrow, and if it hits the small blade sticking out from the side of that halberd, you withdraw your forces immediately. If I miss, you are free to slaughter each other down to the last man."

Both the Earth and the Heavens aligned in perfect harmony, and Lu Bu's arrow hit the intended target, forcing Ji Ling to withdraw his forces.

Red Hare posted:

"Among men, Lu Bu; among horses, Red Hare." As Lu Bu was considered the most powerful warrior in China, so was his most favored horse considered the most powerful steed to be found in any of the major kingdoms. The animal would allow no other person to ride it, or even allow anyone but Lu Bu to handle its reins. Its physical prowess was also legendary and it has been said that Lu Bu managed to jump across a 30 meter wide moat while riding Red Hare.

Blind Rage (A) posted:

Gives a significant boost to most stats, but at the cost of one's reason and sanity. As all decisions are made by the Master, the Servant under this spell will be little more than an empty automaton.

Fortitude (B) posted:

Gives one the ability to negate any type of mental interference. It also improves the damage done by melee attack and increases one's bravery. However, as Lu Bu was sunmoned as a Berserker, the importance of bravery has been made moot.

Restless Soul (B) posted:

Gives one the temperament of a lone wolf; unable and unwilling to settle in one place or serve one master. This person will never be able to follow greatness, yet is incapable of finding greatness on his own. This skill negates the effect of Charisma skills of the same rank.

Character Background posted:

His name is synonymous with treachery and betrayal, though his fame as a mighty general was known throughout the period of Chinese history known as the era of the Three Kingdoms.

His martial abilities are so advanced that he can easily be classified in any of the five classes present in the Holy Grail War: Lancer, Rider, Assassin, Berserker and Archer.

General of Recursion posted:

Lu Bu Feng Xian, the traitorous general mentioned in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

While he had considerable success on the field of battle, his legacy will be forever stained by his callous betrayal of the two men who took him in as a son. His military prowess elevated him to one of the strongest generals of the Three Kingdoms, though his inability to trust or follow led to his downfall. His lack of judgment was such that he slew Ding Yuan, the first of many confidants he betrayed, at the urgings of Dong Zhou, who was frequently referred to as the Demon Warlord. But once again Lu Bu's true nature emerged and he ended up slaying Dong Zhou.

After this second act of treason, he wandered around the provinces of North China, attempting to bring them all under his domination. However, his inability to rule led to his capture and execution by the general Cao Cao.

In the end, it was Lu Bu's hubris that brought him down as he believed that he was the mightiest general alive and that no one could defeat him. And although his patron Chen Gong was disappointed and disillusioned by him, he was able to use Lu Bu in his own machinations until his student's death.

Battle lines

Command Selection

AAAAAAAAAA-!!

As expected. We'll win at this rate. (High health)

~

An expected outcome. (High health)

~

There's no possible scenario where I would lose. (High health)

~

AAAAAAAAAA-!!

Beginning to overheat... Endure it, Berserker. (Low health)

~

Updating prediction... (Low health)

~

Was there a number I... failed to analyse...? (Low health)

~

AAAAAAAAAA-

Code, God Force Crawler! (NP ready)

~

AAAAAAAAAA!!

Amazing... How could they withstand that...? (NP survived)

~~

Normal attacks

As predicted. (Extra turn)

~

The opponent has been perfectly solved. (Consecutive Extra turn)

~~

Damaged

Progressing the operation is becoming difficult. (Enemy Extra turn)

~

AAAAAAAAAA!!

Compose yourself, Berserker. (Consecutive enemy Extra turn)

~~

Skills

Fusion of all things, the purity of the soul sinks below qualia's horizon. Tincture Trismegistus... Main armament, release!!

AAAAAAAAAA-!! (God Force)

~

Measure, Amber Deer. (gain_mgi(128))

~

Observe, Jade Bird. (gain_con(128))

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 16, 2022

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Is that line about the classes just weirdly phrased/worded? "Any of the five classes in the Holy Grail War" makes it sound like there are, well, only five classes, but Alice had Caster and I think at this point we know Leo has Saber...? Or maybe not.
Only asking because "anomalous ghost kids and OP rich boys get to have otherwise banned classes" would be an interesting tidbit, but it's equally likely to just be that they meant "any of these five classes, which are present in the Holy Grail War, but not Caster or Saber"

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Just a strangely worded line, Caster and Saber are standard classes.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Ach, and here's me thinking I'd discovered Secret Lore. Oh well :shobon:

I originally voted for Rin, but I'm glad we ended up doing Rani's route first. Much more narratively satisfying.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The wind on Rani's hair would look really cool...were she not the only thing affected by it. As it is it looks really silly, like she cast it to look cool instead of being natural (or well, I guess as natural as wind in a simulation would be).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lu Bu. I think he's the third Berserker in the franchise, after Stay Night's Herakles and Fate Zero's Lancelot.

Madness Enhancement (the class' defining feature) was originally not meant to be on 24/7, although that ship has sailed, reached the Americas, circumnavigated the globe and is currently being upgraded into the Space Battleship Yamato as we speak.
Herakles was kept perma-mad by Ilya because, long story short, Ilya had issues. Lancelot forced himself perma-mad because he had issues.

Rani? She took a good look at Lu Bu, took a good read at his myth and decided that keeping him perma-mad was a necessary safety measure because well, Lu Bu. Dude is probably the first diagnosed case of chronic backstabbing disorder. You don't let him have any chance to start thinking about backstabs, and the only way is to stop him from thinking altogether.

During Lu Bu's sidestory in Extella, he plots to backstab Tamamo. Through his madness enhancement. I'd say Rani was completely right.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 5, 2022

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

It's extremely hosed up to keep someone mentally suppressed, but really, Lu Bu. You'd barely be able to sleep because the dude's so infamous for loving up people he's working for.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

So, something was bothering me. A scene I swore was in Tamamo's route, but never turned up.

Turns out, the Week 4 yellow chat (over here) has a different start based on what gender Hakuno is.

Anyways, I found it and added it to the update. If you don't want to look back, the alternate start is:

Update 38 posted:

I take a moment to thank every deity imaginable that she's my ally. Though they are my foes, I feel really sorry for other Servants...especially the male ones.

Behold my Polygamist Castration Fist! Other deities may allow harems, but never will I!

Wait. Who exactly will you be using that on?

I couldn't really not go back for it, considering the Polygamist Castration Fist becomes a recurring thing with Tamamo, and I would be remiss if I didn't include it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I thought that started in CCC. Is that where we see it in action for the first time?

Swimsuit* Tamamo has that as her NP. It's not called that way, but it deals extra damage to males.

*Yup. I'd make some comments if I didn't live in a glass house.
having all Artoria swimsuit variants qualifies for glass house status right?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Omobono posted:

I thought that started in CCC. Is that where we see it in action for the first time?

Swimsuit* Tamamo has that as her NP. It's not called that way, but it deals extra damage to males.

*Yup. I'd make some comments if I didn't live in a glass house.
having all Artoria swimsuit variants qualifies for glass house status right?

Extra has it as a one off joke, CCC is where it first becomes an actual thing.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Omobono posted:

Lu Bu. I think he's the third Berserker in the franchise, after Stay Night's Herakles and Fate Zero's Lancelot.

Madness Enhancement (the class' defining feature) was originally not meant to be on 24/7, although that ship has sailed, reached the Americas, circumnavigated the globe and is currently being upgraded into the Space Battleship Yamato as we speak.
Herakles was kept perma-mad by Ilya because, long story short, Ilya had issues. Lancelot forced himself perma-mad because he had issues.

Rani? She took a good look at Lu Bu, took a good read at his myth and decided that keeping him perma-mad was a necessary safety measure because well, Lu Bu. Dude is probably the first diagnosed case of chronic backstabbing disorder. You don't let him have any chance to start thinking about backstabs, and the only way is to stop him from thinking altogether.

During Lu Bu's sidestory in Extella, he plots to backstab Tamamo. Through his madness enhancement. I'd say Rani was completely right.

TBH Rani is like, the one Master besides gacha protagonists who has nothing to fear from Lu Bu. (Not sure how much more I can say given it involves Extella sidestory spoilers).

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Lu Bu as an Assassin would be terrifying.

No, not to the opponent.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
Oh, hey! And here I thought the Perfect Patch just edited it out or something.

The Polygamist Castration Fist is a fun bit from Tamamo, but more importantly it's a refreshing lead into how Tamamo, unlike a lot of heroines from these kinds of games in general and a lot of women in the Fate series explicitly, isn't into sharing. Given her backstory, she's tired of having to fight off a bunch of other paramours for quality time with her husband/wife/significant other, to the point where even cracking that meta save point joke locks you out of her Level E Matrix.

So Extella in general really just dunks on her repeatedly to make Nero look better, and it's a real swerve compared to where both her and Nero's character arcs were going/had done in this game and CCC.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
So can you go for a retry when you summon a servant and realize this is gonna go to hell if we make this contract? Does the Holy Grail have a Servant Refund policy?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Koboje posted:

So can you go for a retry when you summon a servant and realize this is gonna go to hell if we make this contract? Does the Holy Grail have a Servant Refund policy?

That's the other reason mages generally use catalysts to choose their Servant.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Koboje posted:

Nope. Whoever you summon, that's who you're stuck with. Got saddled with someone infamous for betrayal? That's your problem, not the Grail's.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Holy poo poo Lu Bu.

So uh, is it possible to get completely stuck here just because you can't take a single hit from this monster?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Arzaac posted:

Holy poo poo Lu Bu.

So uh, is it possible to get completely stuck here just because you can't take a single hit from this monster?

Caster's got all the tools she needs to actually deal with Lu Bu by this point, but this is part of why the game explicitly tells you to keep multiple save files, so you can go back and reassign some defense so you don't get obliterated by his skills. Saber and Archer are both far better at taking his punches than Caster, though, which is why he earned his reputation in the community as the Tamamo Killer.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Koboje posted:

Well, technically there is a method, though it's not exactly a "refund"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVHXT3edG4

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
So.... a Fun Fact about Lu Bu.

Like Herakles, he can be summoned in 6 of the 7 normal classes mostly due to Godforce literally being able to manifest a weapon for the Knight classes, him owning the greatest horse in the Three Kingdoms, being able to evade capture and insanely ridiculous amount of times and well being a bloodthirsty monster.

However, due to his Title of "General of Recursion" means that no matter what, no matter why, no matter when and no matter how, He will betray and try and kill his master. Unless he is summoned as a Berserker since his will and consciousness are supressed due to his high rank in Mad Enhance.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Archer Lu Bu is a particularly terrifying idea, between his crazy archery stunts and the probability that he'll have independent action to make it easier for him to get away with betraying his master, yikes.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Yon posted:

Archer Lu Bu is a particularly terrifying idea, between his crazy archery stunts and the probability that he'll have independent action to make it easier for him to get away with betraying his master, yikes.

I dunno about that one. If there's one consistent about the Romance, it's that Lu Bu didn't get away with poo poo. All his betrayals were high profile, and basically the only thing that kept him from becoming probably Romance-era China's most terrifying bandit was the procession of dudes who thought "surely this shotgun with the barrel bent back towards me won't gently caress me up!" IIRC Cao Cao was on the verge of hiring him himself when Zhang Fei convinced him to just off him for his own good.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Materant posted:

I dunno about that one. If there's one consistent about the Romance, it's that Lu Bu didn't get away with poo poo. All his betrayals were high profile, and basically the only thing that kept him from becoming probably Romance-era China's most terrifying bandit was the procession of dudes who thought "surely this shotgun with the barrel bent back towards me won't gently caress me up!" IIRC Cao Cao was on the verge of hiring him himself when Zhang Fei convinced him to just off him for his own good.

The logic is that Independent Action allows a Servant to exist without explicitly needing a Master, albeit only for a short time. In any other class, Lu Bu betraying his Master would ALSO immediately take him out of the war, unless he was lucky enough for an enemy Master to be right next to him and for that Master to be dumb enough to forge a contract with Lu loving Bu of all people. As an Archer, though, even after betraying his Master he would still be able to act on his own for a while, and depending on the state of the war at that point, there's a non-zero chance he could just straight up win by himself.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Yon posted:

He would also most likely be summoned with Red Hare while an archer too, since half his archery stunts were done on horseback.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LXII - Last boy meets girl

Music: None

One final week, one final speech by the mysterious voice.

Music: School II
Sound: Phone ringing

A now all too familiar ringing tone draws my eyes to my terminal. The final week has begun.

Music: Duel of Fate

When I arrive at the bulletin board as prompted by the terminal, there is someone there ahead of me. I'm not surprised to see him. After all, there's no one else who would be there.

Good day.

Leo turns my way, smiling as usual. His Servant Gawain stands one step behind him, straight as a sword thrust into a stone.

Unlike Leo, Gawain's eyes are calm. I sense no hostility from him. Just an ironclad loyalty and unwavering confidence in his lord. Gawain's composure wouldn't slip, even in the middle of a battle. That righteous white knight would die without question for his lord. —As I'm looking around, I'm struck by a sense of change. This is the last time I'll see the bulletin board like this. I look, though I already know the names.

There's gonna be a lot of lasts this week, huh?

Once again, I wish you luck.

Leo's trying to speak casually, but something has changed about his voice. It's not that he's apprehensive about the fight. He's excited— almost thrilled.

When I first saw you, you were an industrious, adaptive and rather forgettable individual. Over the brief course of this war, you've grown inmeasurably, as if suited to the soil of battle. Now, the you standing in front of me is a fitting opponent, not just in ability, but in countenance. *Giggle* I'm as enamored with this feeling of competition as a little girl is with a fairy tale.

Leo laughs bashfully. You'd think he'd never enjoyed basic human emotions before.

In all honesty, he probably hasn't.

Now, I feel this fight with you is a necessary step in the process of my ascension to the throne. For showing me a side of the world I had not yet known, you have my deepest gratitude.

Leo isn't being insincere. He's thanking me in his self-centered condescending way. He believes he'll win. He believes he's righteous. His belief in his own victory is greater than any I have ever seen.

This whole time, I've sorta seen Leo as kind of a twisted mirror of Artoria. Born to rule, green eyes, blond hair. Hell, even that one lock of hair dropping down can be seen as a contrast to Artoria's famous ahoge if I want to start grasping straws. He even has one of her strongest knights serving him!

It has been an obstacle. The time to exchange words has passed with this now-worthy opponent. You also require rest. A king must be at his best. Let us but an end to this posturing.

I will take my leave now. I look forward to your next audience with me, on the final battlefield.

Music: Stops

It feels like I have always been looking at Leo's back. My world is too different from his. His sentiments have always been as foreign as his home country. A boy who has progressed by making victory second-nature. A king who will not tolerate any outcome but victory. A person whose entire life has been absolute. I don't believe that he and I are equals. But then again... We're both king of the mountain right now. We came from many places... ...to fight in this Holy Grail War. I will struggle to find my place.

I'm not eager to fight, but I'm not distressed, either. I'm mostly surprised at my own placidity. Whether or not she's picking up on my mental state, Caster gives me her cute smile.

I mean, I can't really argue that kings are better than most people, or that he isn't a born winner.

But, that little prince is wrong to think that he can beat you and me in a battle of abilities!

Thank you.

Master, the only thing I don't like about you is just how little you understand about me.

But, I will always treasure your words of thanks, Hakuno.

You know, it isn't often Tamamo uses Hakuno's actual name.

~

Okay, I'm not better than a god...

What are you saying?! Some people doubt in gods, but I could never doubt in you, Master! That makes you better. ...Well, some gods are better than others. But, you're better than some forgotten old idol!

~~

Trying to hide her embarrassment, Caster disappears. Yeah. This is the last time Caster and I will fight side by side. She's stood by me, even through the times where I had no will, no resolve, and no strength. I don't know what the future holds. But, as for the present, I will focus on winning against my strongest foe yet. I'll win. That's how I'll show my appreciation for all she's done.

Now, despite knowing Gawain's name since Week 1...

And the entire point of the Information Matrix is to, you know, learn the enemy's True Name...

All we get for it is a free level.

Anti-Magic (B) posted:

Cancels low-level spells with chants consisting of less than three full verses. Even high-level thaumaturgy and the greater rituals will only have a negligible effect on him.

Dragoon (B) posted:

Allows him to control any kind of transportation with exceptional skill. However, it does not bestow the ability to ride upon any of the Phantasm races.

And they're both generic Saber passives!

I welcome you to the final confrontation, Master. The Holy Grail is almost within your reach. The omnipotent construct that'll grant any wish, any desire... Can you feel how close it is?

It's too soon to think like that.

What a surprise. To be free of avarice... I suppose I should quietly applaud you.

A dismissive smile begins to form on the lips of the black-clad priest—

~

Of course, I dream of it.

That is what it is to be human. I had been a bit concerned, but hearing this I am relieved. One who does not have desires. One who does not have wishes. One who only denies the fight— If a person of that demeanor were to win, I would be sorely disappointed.

With that, his mouth forms into a grimace. I have no clue what is going on in his mind, but—

~~

So, who will claim victory and raise the Holy Grail to their lips? I await with baited breath.

Here in the home stretch, the school side of things will be fairly quick.

With no generic Masters left, all I have to do each day is check in with Tamamo, the handful of NPCs, and Rani before going to the Arena.

Don't even think about coasting, though. And good luck.

The library desk girl has moved back to her original spot.

But, you could still lose it all in the last round. You don't want to let that happen.

However, it looks as if yesterday's battle was emotionally devastating for you. But you cannot allow past fights to weigh you down as the next one has already begun.

Issei's such a bro, even on the moon.

While Rani just... doesn't show up today.

It's clearly the devs wanting to save on money by making the two routes as similar as possible, but it still feels weird to have no conversation with her now that we're facing Leo. Doubly so on the Rin route.

Music: School III

You need to focus on your opponent, not worrying about us. Just think of us as...scenery.

She's right. Touko and I can take care of ourselves. I do appreciate your concern, though. Thanks, Hakuno. This may be the last time we see each other, so I want to say goodbye now. Don't hold back against Leo. And although I was just an observer, I have the feeling you'll win.

:iceburn:

...I guess it's something. Being able to relate to other people is a virtue...maybe. You might not understand it, but every memory of your opponent will make your attacks stronger. But by me saying that, you might place more value on this conversation than you should. Oh, screw it. Anyway, I doubt there are any magi still alive as disgustingly avaricious as you.

With that Touko Aozaki shrugs her shoulders and gives me a sardonic smirk. And despite the abuse, I detected a hint of...warmth. Or dare I say...affection, even? Between puffs of smoke, I heard her murmur, "You're quite extraordinary."

~

The finals are almost upon us. Good timing, as I've almost found what I was looking for. Let's see who finishes first, you or me. Hopefully things will work out for both of us.

Nice to see things are working out for her. :unsmith:

Please, take a lunch. This is the last one, so I put extra love into it.

And with this, Sakura now holds zero relevance for the rest of the game.

~

I've already given you the last healing supplies I could provide to you. Do your best, all the way 'til the end.

And it only heals a bit above an Ether Crystal at that! Come on, game, this is the final week! At least make it a full heal!

The final battle is ahead. The commissary's selection has been upgraded accordingly.

There are no new items in the shop this week, but we do have three new Mystic Codes.

Each one gives 90 MP and holds a stronger buff for Strength, Defense, and Magic, respectively.

However, I'm not buying them just yet.

Because I have a much, much stupider use for my money right now.

A quick scene starts on the way to the Arena.

Don't you know that you triggered a flag under those sakura blossoms with me, Master?

Caster doesn't bother to hide her flirtations, even while hiding her mouth behind her kimono sleeve. It's still hard thinking of her as a divine being. But that is the true nature of the smiling, cheerful Caster who has fought beside me. I ought to treasure this carefree moment, just like I treasure her carefree spirit.

But my skin was soft and my ears were perky this morning. What's wrong with my face, Master?

Distraught, Tamamo hides her face. Whoops. I should know by now how sensitive she is and not stare. I like her impulsiveness, though. Tamamo is always reassuring me and pushing me to do better.

I think that she's so flighty that it is hard for her to understand people when they're serious.

It's annoying to have to prepare, but the opponent is quite strong.

These days I've spent with Caster have not been bad. I think I could be with Caster all the time. But still the hour of battle draws ever closer. The final battle. No matter how the Holy Grail War ends, I'll be parted from her.

Music: Fear

Here we are, the final :orb:

But something seems...

...off.

The doors are kinda wonky today.

Caster seems really on edge. But they're right; this feeling isn't coming from either Leo or Gawain. In fact, I'm almost sure that I've felt this feeling of hatred before. But, how is it—?

I'm not sure what's happening, but it might be the work of some evil imp. Stay on your toes, Master.

...hey, remember when Julius vanished at the end of our duel?

I think he found us.

As the scene implied, we're pretty much railroaded for today.

Up ahead is another locked door and one of those... fields(?) out in the open.

...wait...

Is that a loving face? :magical:

Let's run at the spooky face barrier, nothing could possibly go wrong!

Oh god everything is going wrong.

Next time: The Harways continue to get worse.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 19, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"The very weakest challenges the very strongest", huh? I'm sure Leo isn't that weak, but man, that'll be an underwhelming final battle then.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

If I suddenly start a deranged rant this (in-game) week just ignore me, it's perfectly normal.

It's just that I loving despise Grand Order Gawain, half from Extra half from the Camelot singularity in GO. An hopefully sane* explanation when it's not spoilers; namely when the bastard's dead.

*sane-ish. I make no promises.

E: actual comments on the current situation.
Knowing Gawain's name but still having to fill in the matrix is the game way of saying the following:
"how cute, just because you know who he is it doesn't mean you're ready for his Arturiana grab bag of bullshit"

Omobono fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 10, 2022

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

You are absolutely not ready for his grab bag of bullshit.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Cyouni posted:

You are absolutely not ready for his grab bag of bullshit.

Gaiwan was a worse Self insert to the mythos than Lancelot, change my mind.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

cdyoung posted:

Gaiwan was a worse Self insert to the mythos than Lancelot, change my mind.

Nah. But he might be the most inconsistently written character in Arthurian lore, which is really saying something considering Lancelot, Kay, Morgan, and Merlin all tend to be basically different characters in different versions in the lore and still are probably more recognizable as themselves more often the Gawain is.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

cdyoung posted:

Gaiwan was a worse Self insert

... of whom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Gawain wasn't a self insert OC, he dates back to the early Welsh stories. It was Lancelot then Galahad who were OCs do not steal.