Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Charlz Guybon posted:

I thought it might be because the chopper might sense the lock if he kept it on target the whole time, giving it a chance to juke and drop flares.

That's what a reply in one of the twitter threads said, that they do it to avoid detection. But I've no idea how either this missile nor the helicopter work exactly so can't confirm/deny it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

UN Security Council meeting on Russian and Ukrainian war crimes/humanitarian concerns live now
https://media.un.org/en/webtv

The initial Under Secretary General briefing just ended, and now a representative is going to start a presentation on his trip to Ukraine.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

to me it sounds like we are a couple weeks/month or so away from cutting either oil or gas.

Oil probably, gas probably not. That'll take at least a year or two if not more.

The problem boils down to infrastructure that needs to be built to avert a scenario where a country has to decide between its citizens freezing or BASF shutting down.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Pablo Bluth posted:

I read somewhere, I don't know how true it is, that they do something similar when targeting tanks to get a hit on the upper parts rather than the better protected sides.

Stugna-P can do that automatically according to this article.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/03/see-why-ukraines-tank-busting-stugna-p-missiles-are-proving-so-effective/

quote:

The missile can be programmed to dive down from 10 meters high towards the thinner top armor of a tank, though at a shallower angle than would a U.S. Javelin missile. This capability can be seen in some combat footage.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

It may have been edited in post-production, but the footage of the (early) helicopter assault at Hostomel Airport has the helicopter verbally warning of a threat, direction, and in some cases a specific armament. e.g. "Attack from front, Stinger"

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/tcduzd/russian_footage_of_the_hostomel_airport_attack/

At about 2:50.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

By the way, does anyone know if there is an archive of satellite photos like the ones BM used there? I wanted to check out some specific areas around Bucha where our friend used to live.

USGS Earth Explorer is the probably the best resource until you're paying for it. The service is directed more towards research so its UX is garbage but it usually has a good archive of clear high res photos. Landsat is probably going to be the best dataset but I am honestly a little out of date on my imaging satellite knowledge. Sentinel might be interesting but I'm having network issues and can't access any of it at the moment.
https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
It was probably reported earlier in this thread, but Ukraine announced that they were setting up a PoW camp for captured russians in accordance with humanitarian law. Along with this, they said they had 600 PoWs. To me that sounds like a somewhat low number, actually, in comparison to the casualties. To me it seems like not too many soldiers were captured during the retreat from Kyiv, but on the other hand, they have lost a lot of equipment.

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/a-prisoner-camp-for-the-captured-russians-will-be-set-up-due-to-international-laws-the-cabinet-of-ministers/

EDIT: But I should say I have no idea what is a 'normal' amount. Anyone want to correct my impression?

catfry fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 5, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

UN Security Council meeting on Russian and Ukrainian war crimes/humanitarian concerns live now
https://media.un.org/en/webtv

The initial Under Secretary General briefing just ended, and now a representative is going to start a presentation on his trip to Ukraine.

Zelensky speaking to the UNSC now

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

catfry posted:

It was probably reported earlier in this thread, but Ukraine announced that they were setting up a PoW camp for captured russians in accordance with humanitarian law. Along with this, they said they had 600 PoWs. To me that sounds like a somewhat low number, actually, in comparison to the casualties. To me it seems like not too many soldiers were captured during the retreat from Kyiv, but on the other hand, they have lost a lot of equipment.

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/a-prisoner-camp-for-the-captured-russians-will-be-set-up-due-to-international-laws-the-cabinet-of-ministers/

there has been some prisoner exchanges that may have whittled down that number

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

kotkin's biography of stalin
Can recommend Kotkin's Stalin bio. Well written. Dense. Dives a bit too deep occasionally so it's a slog, but a good slog.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

there has been some prisoner exchanges that may have whittled down that number

True, the linked article lists the Snake island prisoners exchange, and another exchange with 86 Ukrainian soldiers returned, and it might not be a complete account.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Another article about Chernihiv:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/04/05/chernihiv-scene-death-destruction/

quote:

The harassment became a daily routine. Residents said they were lined upand had their phones and passports confiscated. Others said Russian soldiers stole even their carpets and pillows.

“They put our mattresses on top of their tank and drove away with them,” Iryna Horbonos said. “After that we slept on the cold floor of our basement cellar for three weeks.”

Much of the violence was gratuitous.

As Russian losses in the village mounted, the violence against civilians worsened. Titan found Horbonos’s father-in-law, Anatoly, 70, walking one evening. Anatoly recalled how Titan forced him to guzzle from his vodka bottle then slammed his rifle butt into his stomach twice, rendering the old man unconscious.

“We’ve lost 30 men today, so now you will suffer for it,” he remembered hearing Titan say before he lost consciousness.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

to me it sounds like we are a couple weeks/month or so away from cutting either oil or gas.

Honestly we’re only a village or more away.

Beantown
Apr 21, 2009

catfry posted:

But I should say I have no idea what is a 'normal' amount. Anyone want to correct my impression?

It's hard to say what a "proper" number of POWs should be. Throughout the Vietnam War, in which over 58,000 Americans died (all causes), there were fewer than 800 confirmed POWs. In WWII, on the other hand, the US had around 130,000 POWs against 405,000 killed (all causes)

Beantown fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 5, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Been battling with whether to write this or not, since this war is loving horrific, plus the subject of this post has long been turned into a joke the world over. But, you know, let's have some good news as well. I'm a volunteer for the Polish Celiac Society (you know, the dreaded GLUTEN FREE diet freaks <not really>). Wouldn't you know it, celiac disease and the real medical need for a gluten free diet is a thing in Ukraine as well. Thus, since day 1 of the war, we have organized weekly transports of tons of all sorts of gf food to Ukraine (Lviv, Kyiv, Vinnytsia mainly). Luckily all the transports got through and found their way to volunteers of Ukrainian Celiac Society, who parcel the food out and send it to people in need. Thousands have been helped in this way. My org is currently occupied with almost nothing else than the logistical effort. Eight transports went out so far. We are not the only ones doing that. Eastern European celiac orgs and independent activists are all doing what they can to provide people with food they can't otherwise find.

My daughter has celiac disease and you're doing amazing work. Thank you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Honestly we’re only a village or more away.

possibly. they are still slowly liberating areas and i am sure other places are seeing similar if not worse poo poo.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beantown posted:

It's hard to say what a "proper" number of POWs should be. Throughout the Vietnam War, in which over 58,000 Americans died, there were fewer than 800 confirmed POWs.

Ukranians already on course to make those look like rookie numbers. Hope they make a deece six figgies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

There's one reason not to poison the vodka.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Kinda hard to take pow's with a javelin barrage from over a mile away

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Aertuun posted:

It may have been edited in post-production, but the footage of the (early) helicopter assault at Hostomel Airport has the helicopter verbally warning of a threat, direction, and in some cases a specific armament. e.g. "Attack from front, Stinger"

People speculate it’s https://theaviationist.com/2020/07/...e-dircm-system/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah this is similar to LAIRCM in the US DOD: https://www.dote.osd.mil/Portals/97...eat%20missiles.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Been battling with whether to write this or not, since this war is loving horrific, plus the subject of this post has long been turned into a joke the world over. But, you know, let's have some good news as well. I'm a volunteer for the Polish Celiac Society (you know, the dreaded GLUTEN FREE diet freaks <not really>). Wouldn't you know it, celiac disease and the real medical need for a gluten free diet is a thing in Ukraine as well. Thus, since day 1 of the war, we have organized weekly transports of tons of all sorts of gf food to Ukraine (Lviv, Kyiv, Vinnytsia mainly). Luckily all the transports got through and found their way to volunteers of Ukrainian Celiac Society, who parcel the food out and send it to people in need. Thousands have been helped in this way. My org is currently occupied with almost nothing else than the logistical effort. Eight transports went out so far. We are not the only ones doing that. Eastern European celiac orgs and independent activists are all doing what they can to provide people with food they can't otherwise find.

Ready for transport:

In Ukraine:

This is amazing thank you for doing this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

more stuff from zelensky UN speech.
https://twitter.com/AshishSPradhan/status/1511354482562637837
https://twitter.com/AshishSPradhan/status/1511355962162139148
https://twitter.com/AshishSPradhan/status/1511358915832958978

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Ready for transport:

In Ukraine:

Thank you for posting this. I know it's a few pages back, but this is the awesome stuff that helps to always remind me that overall humanity is good, even if our leaders and such often are not.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Russian Ambassador speaking in the UN, it seems Russia's fallback line is to count upwards the number of civilians they haven't killed and claim that's a success.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Zelensky called for UN reform in his speech to the Security Council.

https://twitter.com/jchaltiwanger/status/1511356746517909505?t=62LqO0f3_q5CuLSCmV9HiA&s=19

Russian ambassador to the UN is still bitching about this? Truly they are the real victims!

https://twitter.com/MID_RF/status/1511363654167502855?t=dUNjnsCjHV9F6BjW4dtfqQ&s=19

Machine translation:

quote:

💬 V.A.#Nebenzya: I would like to express my protest over the way the British Presidency treated our two requests to convene Security Council meetings in connection with the provocation of Ukrainian radicals in the city of Bucha.

❗️ We demand clarification from you.

🔗 https://t.co/L9r82yn6qp https://t.co/jO7yuIJy0S

William Bear fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 5, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

Russian Ambassador speaking in the UN, it seems Russia's fallback line is to count upwards the number of civilians they haven't killed and claim that's a success.

Kind of want some other Ambassador to smack him in the back of the head.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

The Sausages posted:

Take it with a pinch of salt, I like Kamil and his furious writing, but he stretches the truth like it's the goatman's butthole.

He really does. I think his understanding of Russian culture is mostly spot on, but a lot of his threads feel like they have been written with a conclusion pre-determined to engage a Western audience and facts and logic leaps arranged to serve that thesis. Whenever he says "Why?" the following statement is probably a bunch of crap. But the factoids/background he posts is largely accurate.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Claims that russia is assembling militarily against Ukraine is hysterical russophobia

There won't be an invasion obviously, the deployment is for political maneuvering

The invasion is strictly targeted at separatist regions not the whole country

Claims that they have kill lists to purge the Ukrainians are hysterical russophobia

The invasion won't take long, Kyiv will fall swiftly

They were just testing Ukraine out with disposable units, the real attack will commence soon

Ukraine's military is doing the best they can but russian numbers will simply overwhelm them

Only russia is making any strategic gains

The Ukrainians need to surrender to minimize bloodshed since they can't win

The russians will learn from their failures, regroup and reorganize tactically

Their specialty has always been long-term artillery shelling, they'll bomb the Ukrainians into exhaustion

Claims of emerging russian war crimes are hysterical russophobia

The next phase of the invasion will surround and FLATTEN Kyiv, it's not in question

They'll reposition their northern troops and divide the country in two

They'll redeploy their troops and consolidate the terroritory in the east

Claims that the mass civilian murders discovered are comparable to past massacres are hysterical russophobia

They'll reconsolidate with fresh manpower and hardware and hold out in their current positions

They'll reconsolidate with fresh manpower and hardware and hold out at a fallback zone

They'll dig in and fortify in limited portions of the separatist region <-- WE ARE HERE

They'll use massive buffer zones to limit insurrectionist attrition to keep a foothold in the country

Claims that russian troops killed THAT many people to fill THAT many mass graves are hysterical russophobia

Their specialty was always long distance attrition, They'll keep denazifying from across a secure border

They'll be able to hold out in Crimea it's simply been held too long

The Ukranian forces simply can't deploy all the way to Moscow AND St. Petersburg, the leadership is safe

There are no Ukranian tanks in Moscow

Zelenskyy will swiftly apologize for slapping putin at the oscars. this will not stand

You're misremembering the end of the book, Peter Wiggin became hegemon not Zelenskyy

The separatist tankie regions of something awful will survive on proceeds from avatar switch sales

Look putin just came out and said it was just a prank bro it was just for his youtube channel bro

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Alchenar posted:

He's really playing the greatest hits of the last 8 years on the Donbas/month of the conflict about Ukrainian Nazis and Ukraine not allowing corridors, spiced with claims they recorded from Ukrainians deported to Russia/spin on the last two days of footage out of the Kyiv suburbs.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
It looks like the Mariupol surrender video was faked.

edit: apparently it's maybe true? either way, don't trust this article

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 5, 2022

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

gently caress me the Russian Ambassador to the UN is doubling down on the Ukrainians having massacred their own people just to score some propaganda points, which is a thing that definitely happens unlike invading / occupying armies massacring civilians.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Israel has had enough.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1511365215623200769

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FrYM7CxYsU

Long video about behind the scenes of operating a Stugna ATGM near the front line.
Note one launch fails because a soldier started changing to a new missile tube during flight and messed up the guidance camera hence the swearing.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUC2EQvdzmY

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

my guess is they realized how bad this looks and how it looks like the early "holocaust by bullets" days and realized they had to at least say something.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m not going to make fun of the Epic Store for awhile. Fantastic loving work by Tim Sweeney, Epic, its partners, and (slight vomit) fortnite players.

Really 144 MILLION USD. Just awesome.

https://twitter.com/fortnitegame/status/1510981457195454474?s=21&t=CLPvBo-tMnDl4q2iMQdyag

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

1) Argh, Express has such a crappy layout I'm dying. Someone link the tweet it is referring

2) It doesn't sound that convincing, just some random American who hasn't been there claiming that Ukrainian marines would ALWAYS display their hats

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Belgium doing work:

https://twitter.com/ralakbar/status/1511366235837108238

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Marshal Prolapse posted:

If not at the UN, then maybe at the tribunal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoEb03tzwxs