Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
You could also watch some OC and take a leak in the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I'm about 3 episodes in, and that seems to be the direction its moving in. Not a lot of answers, just more and more mysteries added on each episode. And for some reason it bills itself as a comedy, even though it's nothing of the sort.

Nihonniboku posted:

I just finished episode 4, and honestly, what you've written is deceptive and misleading. There are still no answers, and just additional layers of mysteries. Maybe they get there eventually, but the idea they are looking to move the plot forward rather than just milking every premise for as long as long as they can is a flat out lie.

Also, so far the Walken and Turturro storyline has gone absolutely nowhere and has not hinted at what direction it will go.

Nihonniboku posted:

Jesus loving christ, Severance is a piling trash heap of poo poo. For everyone who has seen people in this thread talk about how amazing it is because it provides answers, it's all lies. In 8 episodes, absolutely jack poo poo happens. No answers are provided. It's just mysteries built upon mysteries. Strange poo poo happens just to happen. Just as I thought we were about to see something happen in the final episode, it ends. gently caress Ben Stiller and gently caress this show. I watched 8 episodes on the promise that poo poo would happen and that it would get good. It never did.

who's forcing you to hate watch this show my dude? because we get it that it's not your cup of tea already

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Nihonniboku posted:

Jesus loving christ, Severance is a piling trash heap of poo poo. For everyone who has seen people in this thread talk about how amazing it is because it provides answers, it's all lies. In 8 episodes, absolutely jack poo poo happens. No answers are provided. It's just mysteries built upon mysteries. Strange poo poo happens just to happen. Just as I thought we were about to see something happen in the final episode, it ends. gently caress Ben Stiller and gently caress this show. I watched 8 episodes on the promise that poo poo would happen and that it would get good. It never did.

Have you thought about maybe changing the way you watch things instead of throwing a baby rage tantrum after you hate watch every single episode of a show you hate? Stop trying to "win" the show and pay attention to why things might be happening thematically instead of crying about "poo poo happening to happen."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
MYSTERY:

Things are happening??? What the christ???

ANSWER:

It was aliens.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

if you like Severance and want to watch something with similar vibes but Aliens, check out Vivarium

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

severance is good actually

there is this kind of sheen to the Apple TV shows that seems a little off. like they're trying to jump straight into prestige HBO style tv but don't quite have it. also theres some apple sponsored corpo show that rubs me the wrong way, might be marring my opinion of the other shows

I think there is this kind of unseen overarching 'voice' or whatever that streaming platforms have. like Netflix will just allow any garbage through, HBO max is ok but kinda goofy stuff layered on their prestige legacies, Prime TV jumped straight into producing killer dramas with no spin up time (how?), Hulu has good originals that aren't too serious, Disney is Disney take it or leave it but you know what you're getting. The Apple TV lineup is still a little incoherent to me

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 4, 2022

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Devils is back on Shudder, for now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Devils is back on Shudder, for now.

They just put up some other good poo poo on Shudder.

Candyman
Evil Dead 1 & 2
The Fog
Near Dark
Serpent and the Rainbow
The Funhouse

Puppet Master movies later this month.

New season of Joe Bob starts at the end of the month too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is that old bitch still whining about woke poo poo

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Have you thought about maybe changing the way you watch things instead of throwing a baby rage tantrum after you hate watch every single episode of a show you hate? Stop trying to "win" the show and pay attention to why things might be happening thematically instead of crying about "poo poo happening to happen."

Also the season isn’t even over yet?

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

A MIRACLE posted:

Prime TV jumped straight into producing killer dramas with no spin up time (how?)

huh?

what are these killer dramas on Prime? I genuinely struggle to find much of anything to watch on Prime.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cithen posted:

huh?

what are these killer dramas on Prime? I genuinely struggle to find much of anything to watch on Prime.
I haven't seen all of these, but many people vouch for Patriot, The Underground Railroad, Mozart in the Jungle, Too Old To Die Young, Homecoming, and Undone.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

goliath, fortitude, and patriot are all really good imo

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Too Old to Die Young is basically a 30 hour music video about Nicolas Winding Refns unending horniness for absurd violence.

Edit: this description makes it sound better than it actually is

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Patriot and Goliath were definitely good, but those first came out 7 & 6 years ago respectively. I liked season 3 of Goliath, but it felt like it was reaching for something that it didn't quite get to so I've not yet checked out season 4. I think I bounced off Fortitude back when it first came out. I'll check out the others though.

I look at Prime every few weeks, scroll for a bit and then go to another platform. It's just kinda there. I haven't even heard much, if anything, about those other shows.

edit: 'Too Old to Die Young' is a good example... I like Refn and I remember getting excited for this show when it was first announced, then I promptly forgot about it until just now reading the post above.

Cithen fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 5, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I haven't seen all of these, but many people vouch for Patriot, The Underground Railroad, Mozart in the Jungle, Too Old To Die Young, Homecoming, and Undone.

Too Old to Die Young is wretched, afaict. Not even familiar with those others.

Sneaky Pete was good. Goliath rules. Man in the High Castle is a show. Utopia was an unnecessary remake of a good show. Everyone talked about The Boys. Reload is okay.

And LotRs is coming up and probably going to suck but is at least a notable future project.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Class Warcraft posted:

Too Old to Die Young is basically a 30 hour music video about Nicolas Winding Refns unending horniness for absurd violence.

Edit: this description makes it sound better than it actually is
It's also very anti-police and is pretty cool tbh

I guess I'd just say, watch Only God Forgives and/or The Neon Demon and you will get a pretty good sense of whether his poo poo works for you, and Too Old to Die Young is a very long and weird experience that is very much in line with how his movies work. I think Miles Teller is really well cast in it, because he is extremely off-putting and unlikeable and it actually takes advantage of that

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Patriot is legit great

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bosch is real good.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Also, it's not a drama, but The Tick is really excellent. Probably the best "funny superhero" thing around.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Martman posted:

It's also very anti-police and is pretty cool tbh

I guess I'd just say, watch Only God Forgives and/or The Neon Demon and you will get a pretty good sense of whether his poo poo works for you, and Too Old to Die Young is a very long and weird experience that is very much in line with how his movies work. I think Miles Teller is really well cast in it, because he is extremely off-putting and unlikeable and it actually takes advantage of that

It's funny that he was able to chill to some synthwave for a second and make Drive, which to me is his best by far. But he could only do that the one time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Patriot is the best TV show of all time

Homecoming S1 is very good, S2 is just kind of meh

Goliath is pretty fun

Red Oaks doesn't get talked about much but it's extremely solid, it's pretty much like an 80s John Hughes sort of vibe

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's funny that he was able to chill to some synthwave for a second and make Drive, which to me is his best by far. But he could only do that the one time.

That’s because Drive is his most mainstream movie, it’s the one with the most traditional plot structure. He only wanted to do it one time, that’s why he made Only God Forgives next with Gosling.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I watched the first episode of Patriot and really disliked it. The impression I got is that it is to the CIA as Brooklyn 99 is to cops, it felt way too humanising and sympathetic.

Did I get the wrong end of the stick? Does it wind up making GBS threads relentlessly on sad spook, spook paterfamilias, and congressman brother?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I will not allow anyone to besmirch the name of Cool Rick in this thread.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

I watched the first episode of Patriot and really disliked it. The impression I got is that it is to the CIA as Brooklyn 99 is to cops, it felt way too humanising and sympathetic.

Did I get the wrong end of the stick? Does it wind up making GBS threads relentlessly on sad spook, spook paterfamilias, and congressman brother?

I'm not going to spoil it but no it doesn't really make the CIA sympathetic at all imo. its treated more like a lovely job that keeps roping the protagonist into doing awful things against his will

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 5, 2022

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm not going to spoil it but no it doesn't really make the CIA sympathetic at all imo. its treated more like a lovely job that keeps roping the protagonist into doing awful things against his will

This is pretty accurate. Everyone involved is kinda miserable but it's oddly funny and likeable and weird. Like I legit have a hard time explaining it to people that haven't seen it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Barry Foster posted:

It's absolutely not sympathetic to the CIA.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Realized I was thinking “Patriot” was a revolutionary war show due to mixing up “The Patriot” with “Turn”.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Field Mousepad posted:

This is pretty accurate. Everyone involved is kinda miserable but it's oddly funny and likeable and weird. Like I legit have a hard time explaining it to people that haven't seen it.

At its core its a show about family and obligations, really.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

im watching the new better call Saul, its definitely a lot goofier but still very enjoyable. and the visual metaphors are still really fun to spot. you know Vince Gilligan stuff

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A MIRACLE posted:

im watching the new better call Saul, its definitely a lot goofier but still very enjoyable. and the visual metaphors are still really fun to spot. you know Vince Gilligan stuff

Are you from the future

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

its new to me ok

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

ok

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished the Bubble in four sittings and I'm pretty sure it's one of the worst movies I have ever watched. The last time I remember watching a movie that bad was one of the Grown ups movies about a decade ago.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Are you from the future

Season 5 just got uploaded to Netflix this week

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nihonniboku posted:

I like Severance but I'm worried that they are going to end the season without any real exposition about what is going on and that would suck.

https://twitter.com/TVMoJoe/status/1511090386491437058

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

That’s because Drive is his most mainstream movie, it’s the one with the most traditional plot structure. He only wanted to do it one time, that’s why he made Only God Forgives next with Gosling.

That was such a disappointing movie. All I wanted was Drive 2: Bangkok Drift. And come on that would've been awesome.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

Gotcha. I was thinking of s6 which starts in a week or so and is streaming on AMC+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

Oh hell yeah! I completely lost track of when that was finally gonna happen