Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VideoGameVet posted:

Yeah, I know [NOUN] is inefficient etc. but in the last week:

1. A testing lab lost the results of the blood tests my wife had last week. Took days for them to find it.

2. A medical facility lost all the info they were given in a visit 2 weeks ago for a visit tomorrow. Vaccine passport, currently prescribed meds, insurance info etc. etc.

3. An office was supposed to send instructions and they lost the correct email address they had used in the past and just sent it to the wrong one.

These aren’t isolated things. For some reason medical offices are really hosed up with record keeping in the USA.

And this isn’t in Backwater USA, it’s San Diego.
You could replace [NOUN] with literally anything and it would be just as meaningful. "I know Unreal Tournament Deathmatch map DM-Fractal is inefficient etc. but..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

The solution to the medical records problem requires a political landscape we will never see in the United States: a centralized database with government regulation and standardization of electronic medical records on servers paid for by taxes.

Honestly if there was ever a way to prove to a fan of capitalism that the market absolutely won't ever solve any problem, the electronic health record is right there.

The only universally available free EHR, CPRS, was made by the VAMC and has a slightly more modern interface than a 1980s BBS. Oh, and they are abandoning it to purchase and deploy Cerner.

In the modern era the focus on EHR development is on physician driven charge capture and revenue generation (so hospitals can trim most of their billing staff) and any other features are window dressing. Hell, Epic gave up trying to make the chart more usable, outsourced it to physicians, built a network for application sharing, and get an undisclosed cut of every app that fixes a critical (but non-billing) function.

In summary, move to a better country I guess or accept that your medical information needs to be managed by you. If patients could show up to the hospital with a USB drive with PDFs of their records/DICOM images of all their scans it would help everyone out. Get your DNR tattooed on you and keep a copy attached to your flesh and that still may not be enough.

But yeah, hospital computers suck enough. Community medical computers will be worse. The Blockchain is only useful for scamming idiots and even if it did, well, anything, its inefficiencies meeting poo poo computers would bring everything grinding to a halt.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
apple and meta gave user data to hackers who forged legal requests

quote:

Apple Inc. and Meta Platforms Inc., the parent company of Facebook, provided customer data to hackers who masqueraded as law enforcement officials, according to three people with knowledge of the matter.

Apple and Meta provided basic subscriber details, such as a customer’s address, phone number and IP address, in mid-2021 in response to the forged “emergency data requests.” Normally, such requests are only provided with a search warrant or subpoena signed by a judge, according to the people. However, the emergency requests don’t require a court order.

Snap Inc. received a forged legal request from the same hackers, but it isn’t known whether the company provided data in response. It’s also not clear how many times the companies provided data prompted by forged legal requests.

Cybersecurity researchers suspect that some of the hackers sending the forged requests are minors located in the U.K. and the U.S. One of the minors is also believed to be the mastermind behind the cybercrime group Lapsus$, which hacked Microsoft Corp., Samsung Electronics Co. and Nvidia Corp., among others, the people said. City of London Police recently arrested seven people in connection with an investigation into the Lapsus$ hacking group; the probe is ongoing.

An Apple representative referred Bloomberg News to a section of its law enforcement guidelines.

The guidelines referenced by Apple say that a supervisor for the government or law enforcement agent who submitted the request “may be contacted and asked to confirm to Apple that the emergency request was legitimate,” the Apple guideline states.

“We review every data request for legal sufficiency and use advanced systems and processes to validate law enforcement requests and detect abuse,” Meta spokesman Andy Stone said in a statement. “We block known compromised accounts from making requests and work with law enforcement to respond to incidents involving suspected fraudulent requests, as we have done in this case.”

Snap had no immediate comment on the case, but a spokesperson said the company has safeguards in place to detect fraudulent requests from law enforcement.

Law enforcement around the world routinely asks social media platforms for information about users as part of criminal investigations. In the U.S., such requests usually include a signed order from a judge. The emergency requests are intended to be used in cases of imminent danger and don’t require a judge to sign off on it.

Hackers affiliated with a cybercrime group known as “Recursion Team” are believed to be behind some of the forged legal requests, which were sent to companies throughout 2021, according to the three people who are involved in the investigation.

Recursion Team is no longer active, but many of its members continue to carry out hacks under different names, including as part of Lapsus$, the people said.

The information obtained by the hackers using the forged legal requests has been used to enable harassment campaigns, according to one of the people familiar with the inquiry. The three people said it may be primarily used to facilitate financial fraud schemes. By knowing the victim’s information, the hackers could use it to assist in attempting to bypass account security.

Bloomberg is omitting some specific details of the events in order to protect the identities of those targeted.

The fraudulent legal requests are part of a months-long campaign that targeted many technology companies and began as early as January 2021, according to two of the people. The forged legal requests are believed to be sent via hacked email domains belonging to law enforcement agencies in multiple countries, according to the three people and an additional person investigating the matter.

The forged requests were made to appear legitimate. In some instances, the documents included the forged signatures of real or fictional law enforcement officers, according to two of the people. By compromising law enforcement email systems, the hackers may have found legitimate legal requests and used them as a template to create forgeries, according to one of the people.

“In every instance where these companies messed up, at the core of it there was a person trying to do the right thing,” said Allison Nixon, chief research officer at the cyber firm Unit 221B. “I can’t tell you how many times trust and safety teams have quietly saved lives because employees had the legal flexibility to rapidly respond to a tragic situation unfolding for a user.”

On Tuesday, Krebs on Security reported that hackers had forged an emergency data request to obtain information from the social media platform Discord. In a statement to Bloomberg, Discord confirmed that it had also fulfilled a forged legal request.

“We verify these requests by checking that they come from a genuine source, and did so in this instance,” Discord said in a statement. “While our verification process confirmed that the law enforcement account itself was legitimate, we later learned that it had been compromised by a malicious actor. We have since conducted an investigation into this illegal activity and notified law enforcement about the compromised email account.”

Apple and Meta both publish data on their compliance with emergency data requests. From July to December 2020, Apple received 1,162 emergency requests from 29 countries. According to its report, Apple provided data in response to 93% of those requests.

Meta said it received 21,700 emergency requests from January to June 2021 globally and provided some data in response to 77% of the requests.

“In emergencies, law enforcement may submit requests without legal process,” Meta states on its website. “Based on the circumstances, we may voluntarily disclose information to law enforcement where we have a good faith reason to believe that the matter involves imminent risk of serious physical injury or death.”

The systems for requesting data from companies is a patchwork of different email addresses and company portals. Fulfilling the legal requests can be complicated because there are tens of thousands of different law enforcement agencies, from small police departments to federal agencies, around the world. Different jurisdictions have varying laws concerning the request and release of user data.

“There’s no one system or centralized system for submitting these things,” said Jared Der-Yeghiayan, a director at cybersecurity firm Recorded Future Inc. and former cyber program lead at the Department of Homeland Security. “Every single agency handles them differently.”

Companies such as Meta and Snap operate their own portals for law enforcement to send legal requests, but still accept requests by email and monitor requests 24 hours a day, Der-Yeghiayan said.

Apple accepts legal requests for user data at an apple.com email address, “provided it is transmitted from the official email address of the requesting agency,” according to Apple’s legal guidelines.

Compromising the email domains of law enforcement around the world is in some cases relatively simple, as the login information for these accounts is available for sale on online criminal marketplaces.

“Dark web underground shops contain compromised email accounts of law enforcement agencies, which could be sold with the attached cookies and metadata for anywhere from $10 to $50,” said Gene Yoo, chief executive officer of the cybersecurity firm Resecurity, Inc.

Yoo said multiple law enforcement agencies were targeted last year as a result of previously unknown vulnerabilities in Microsoft Exchange email servers, “leading to further intrusions.”

A potential solution to the use of forged legal requests sent from hacked law enforcement email systems will be difficult to find, said Nixon, of Unit 221B.

“The situation is very complex,” she said. “Fixing it is not as simple as closing off the flow of data. There are many factors we have to consider beyond solely maximizing privacy.”

if law enforcement it security is so lax that there are already issues with hackers using existing processes to compromise accounts, i can't imagine what would happen if mandatory backdoors ever became a thing

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

VideoGameVet posted:

It’s also the low wage admin thing. They don’t hire people who know how to do the most basic computer stuff.

But maybe patients should own their own records instead of this stovepiped mess.

What would work would be a service that maintained the stuff you need to provide when you do a doctor visit so you didn’t have to fill out all the forms every-time you have a visit.

I remember Google planning on doing something like this 10 odd years ago, before someone reminded them that HIPAA exists and they quietly stopped after a few months.

I do honestly wish there was a way to fill out all this information or transfer it, but the best we can get is the PDF417 barcode on the back of your state ID so that you don't necessarily have to enter your loving address once again

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

apple and meta gave user data to hackers who forged legal requests

if law enforcement it security is so lax that there are already issues with hackers using existing processes to compromise accounts, i can't imagine what would happen if mandatory backdoors ever became a thing

I would not have guessed that an fbi.gov email address had the same price as a forums account, but I guess I'm not that surprised

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
"unit 221b" :nallears:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah the data probably isn't getting put into the database, or is being put in incorrectly. Blockchain doesn't solve any of that.

As for having to enter forms constantly, you don't fill out much on the NHS, name, address, NHS number if you know it and that's about it. In the NHS app I can see every vaccine I've had since birth, allergies, appointments etc, none of this involves blockchain.

And its optional, you can tell your GP to not share any of your into with the national system if you'd prefer not to.

Yeah, but you live in a First World Country.

We're still using faxes to send stuff to doctors. No lie.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Motronic posted:

This is a (lack of) data input issue and/or people who don't know how to look up the correct data. There is no solution in changing the back end or who owns/pays for the back end. Thinking that there is a technological solution to a social, procedural or personnel issue has big bay area energy. Especially when the first suggestion is "blockchain."

So there's CLEAR that is being used for Vaccine Passports and security clearance at airports. They are probabily the best candidate for a company that could get your "check in stuff you need" on a central database.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

So there's CLEAR that is being used for Vaccine Passports and security clearance at airports. They are probabily the best candidate for a company that could get your "check in stuff you need" on a central database.

Yeah. It's all about having a central authority management. If you can't tie a portal to a central authority. It's in the tech providers interest to splinter. I've soapboxed blockchain for this very reason before.

I wonder how CLEAR does it, must be something established by the TSA.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

BlueBlazer posted:

Yeah. It's all about having a central authority management. If you can't tie a portal to a central authority. It's in the tech providers interest to splinter. I've soapboxed blockchain for this very reason before.

They have separate security lines at the airports, separate even from TSA Pre-Check.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

There were massive lines to get into GDC (Game Dev. Conference) this year, even if you had your state's Vaccine Passport.

I found out there was a separate line if you had your vaccine passport on Clear, did that and there were only 5 people in front of me.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

BlueBlazer posted:

I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with bribery of the relevant officials.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

CLEAR is bribery. That's the business model.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

moonmazed posted:

"unit 221b" :nallears:

It’s got Palantir energy.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
fwiw: the very dumb and bad "medical records on the blockchain" idea is going around again. I wrote a thing a few years ago outlining the problems with this dumb and bad idea, why large chunks of the proposal are flat-out illegal in many jurisdictions, and the source of the disease: technically illiterate extremist libertarian bitcoin advocacy. If you are ever faced with this particular dumb idea, I hope you will find this useful as a bludgeon to wield against it and whatever blithering idiot brought it along.

tl;dr working around political problems with magical technology is unlikely to work.

Medical records, but on the blockchain — the history of a bad idea

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

divabot posted:

fwiw: the very dumb and bad "medical records on the blockchain" idea is going around again. I wrote a thing a few years ago outlining the problems with this dumb and bad idea, why large chunks of the proposal are flat-out illegal in many jurisdictions, and the source of the disease: technically illiterate extremist libertarian bitcoin advocacy. If you are ever faced with this particular dumb idea, I hope you will find this useful as a bludgeon to wield against it and whatever blithering idiot brought it along.

tl;dr working around political problems with magical technology is unlikely to work.

PII on the distributed public ledger? How did anyone ever identify me! I kept my wallet a secret all this time. The only thing on the chain was my date of birth, my vaccination history, every broken bone I ever had treated, every physical, every chemo appointment, every conversation with every doctor, every surgery, every...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

divabot posted:

Given the entire goal is to turn your medical history into a buisiness: Yeah this is nightmare world poo poo.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Apparently there is a online-thing for medical records which kinda works, you give permission for medical records to be viewed by other doctors.

MyHealthRecord or something like that.

It works so well that the rep for a clinic asked my wife to just have her doctor fax the info because they couldn't locate it anyway.

Fax machines were invented in the 19th century (yeah, the originals were crude).

Meanwhile I'm surveying games that use NFT's and for the most part the games stink.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
nft games are just an excuse to become landlords

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I'd wager that a significant factor in the general dislike of NFTs is just how ugly and lovely the creative works tied to it are. The creators are so obsessed with the final "Profit!" step that they think they can make up all the poo poo in between.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

quarantinethepast posted:

I'd wager that a significant factor in the general dislike of NFTs is just how ugly and lovely the creative works tied to it are. The creators are so obsessed with the final "Profit!" step that they think they can make up all the poo poo in between.

It's money laundering using art, except tech bros think they can cut out the middle man (the artist)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Deltasquid posted:

It's money laundering using art, except tech bros think they can cut out the middle man (the artist)

Yeah, and a lot of folks attempted this using art they didn't actually have rights to.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I'd wager that a significant factor in the general dislike of NFTs is that they're dumb bullshit.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

nft games are just an excuse to become landlords

I've said it before that I think the endgame for crypto poo poo is to get state and corporate support for sweeping DRM regimes full of middleman positions that investors can buy into to extract rent from "owning" rights that they can sublet to others. The actual technical aspects of how NFTs and the blockchain work aren't really that important compared to the idea of "owning the fastest Mario" that they can license to others.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know how anyone can even navigate the internet without an ad blocker tbh. On the rare occasions I need to disable it, it's like suddenly being swarmed by screaming, laser guided piranhas. A couple of times it's really hosed me up having one though by making forms I need or certain job application websites not load certain things.

Took me forever to figure out why I couldn't print some tax papers I needed and it was because of my blockers.

And, holy poo poo, I don't have a blocker on my phone and loving YouTube is simply unwatchable.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BiggerBoat posted:

And, holy poo poo, I don't have a blocker on my phone and loving YouTube is simply unwatchable.

This is why i bit the bullet and went with YouTube premium instead of Apple music on my iPhone; the removal of YouTube ads to go with it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Could also use Vinegar and the YouTube website

E: it is pretty wild and alarming to recall that not so long ago a single “pop-up blocker” was the only add-on required for sane browsing, and now I have a suite of probably a dozen different content blocker apps spread across all my computers, some of which are solely there to block legally-mandated warnings, plus a hardware PiHole. And I haven’t even gone all-in on NoScript or anything like that

TACD fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 5, 2022

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

CLEAR is bribery. That's the business model.

Oh no doubt. But there is an official process that has been carved through the system since that first bribery. I'd be curious what their actual authentication process is, and how their database has been authoritated.

I guess I should clarify my earlier statement. Actual data on a blockchain is loving stupid. Now my login identity. That could be useful, if backed by a state level authority, rather than a unknowable cabal of assholes(to mate o, to mato).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What is the new hotness in ad blockers? Almost every website I visit yells about Adblock Plus now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
uBlock Origin is the standard right now, I think?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a simple solution to this, and it involves paying for the thing you're enjoying for free.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Baronash posted:

There's a simple solution to this, and it involves paying for the thing you're enjoying for free.

Does subscribing to the content creator's Patreon stop the ads now?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mister Facetious posted:

This is why i bit the bullet and went with YouTube premium instead of Apple music on my iPhone; the removal of YouTube ads to go with it.

I use Newpipe. It's a free, open source YouTube app without ads. And it can play with the screen off.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

greazeball posted:

Does subscribing to the content creator's Patreon stop the ads now?

I was referring to Youtube Premium, and you know it. But yes, actually, any given creator is fully empowered to provide ad-free versions to Patreon subscribers.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah most Patreon creators offer ad-free video and podcast or whatever downloads once you're a member.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't have a blocker on my phone and loving YouTube is simply unwatchable.

if yr on Android, Firefox with uBlock Origin works a treat there too, including on YouTube.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I know the person who has the signed disc (by Andy) because he trained Warhol to do this at the launch of the Amiga in '85:

Estate's been holding this up for over a year.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Baronash posted:

True. The other solution is that I just don't visit YouTube on my phone. What's your loving point here exactly?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I use Newpipe. It's a free, open source YouTube app without ads. And it can play with the screen off.

Newpipe is legit. I can't imagine going back to using the YT app on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Baronash posted:

Poor Google, gonna end up in the poor house cos no one wants YouTube premium.