Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

tbp posted:

was historia being the line played up more in the manga? my reading history is all off with this series, i only watched the anime up until like... two episodes ago, got antsy and just read ahead. they had some interactions for sure during s3, but it all seemed mostly dropped come s4 once she assumed the royalty

I mean... the anime made it quite clear as well.

He was not going to sacrifice the people he loved. if you raced ahead and read the manga, you definitely read the chapter where he described exactly this.

He knows the future and can't change it because he is ultimately a slave to his nature. He was never free and will never be free. That's the ultimate irony of his story, for all his big talk of not being cattle and how he made all his own choices, in the end when he sees the future laid out before him, he realised he was never really free. He was always going to do what he was going to do because that was his nature would lead him to do and he can't fight it no matter how much he tried he wanted to.

Once he saw the future, he realised he was only ever a slave to his desires and it broke him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Asuron posted:

I mean... the anime made it quite clear as well.

He was not going to sacrifice the people he loved. if you raced ahead and read the manga, you definitely read the chapter where he described exactly this.

He knows the future and can't change it because he is ultimately a slave to his nature. He was never free and will never be free. That's the ultimate irony of his story, for all his big talk of not being cattle and how he made all his own choices, in the end when he sees the future laid out before him, he realised he was never really free. He was always going to do what he was going to do because that was his nature would lead him to do and he can't fight it no matter how much he tried he wanted to.

Once he saw the future, he realised he was only ever a slave to his desires and it broke him.

There's actually a legitimate philosophical argument for both sides of the freedom bit there. (Would be stronger if he was the father, but I've kicked that horse enough for the moment.)

Eren is either someone who never had a choice, or the person who made the most free choice in history. He was given full information (the opposite of freedom is ignorance, after all), and the power to achieve anything he could imagine. And then he was left with the greatest freedom of all, the one on which all the others are built. The freedom to take the consequences. All the consequences, laid out as clear as you'd like. He gets to decide what he wants, and he gets to achieve that goal. He just doesn't get to look away.

That's part of why the final chapter sucks so much. The vague "only Ymir knows" bullshit, the controlling Dina, the confusion over his goals? That takes away from the rumbling as a horrifying but logical extension of Eren's character, and turns it into vague nonsense where he "had" to do it because time paradox. And that doesn't work. Eren needs to make the choice of his own free will, to the extent he has any. If he's just being jerked around, he doesn't have any responsibility, and it doesn't say anything about him. If he does have a choice, if he was legitimately trying to find any other answer that still gave him what he wanted and organically came to the horrifying conclusion that he had no way to guarantee he'd get what he wanted without doing things he hates. Grisha was right. Eren won. He got everything he went after. And no one hates that more than Eren.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Would be fun if the final anime episode was an alternate ending where everyone dies just to mess with us manga readers and the movie was the actual adapted ending

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
So the “final” episode just aired and it looks like they officially announced a part 3 for the final season which will hit in 2023. Official sub should be out in a few hours.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Another year to find out that the ending isn't going to change. Sigh. Whatever.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Imagine calling season 4 the final season

And then two years later being like "no no no we swear that season 6 is the final season, pinky swear, for realsies this time"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they could have totally pulled a "covid hosed up production severely so we couldn't finish it with this recently released season, apologies" and retained a lot of goodwill regardless of if it was true or not imo

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
I went into the latest episode hoping to see Levi interact with the clown. Levi then proceeded to interact with the clown and it was amazing.

Then everyone got smashed and that was also a treat to see animated.

Then all of those other people died horribly.

All that’s left is for more people to die horribly, for Goth Mikasa to make her official debut, and for Eren to turn into a flock of seagulls.

And I ran, I ran so far away
I just ran, I ran all night and day
I couldn't get away.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lady Gagazula posted:

I went into the latest episode hoping to see Levi interact with the clown. Levi then proceeded to interact with the clown and it was amazing.

Then everyone got smashed and that was also a treat to see animated.

Then all of those other people died horribly.

All that’s left is for more people to die horribly, for Goth Mikasa to make her official debut, and for Eren to turn into a flock of seagulls.

And I ran, I ran so far away
I just ran, I ran all night and day
I couldn't get away.

Eren turned into a tree, not a flock of seagulls.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

ImpAtom posted:

Eren turned into a tree, not a flock of seagulls.

There's nothing in the Air Bud rulebook that says a person's body and soul can't turn into two separate visual metaphors.

The point is that Goth Mikasa and Nerd Armin will eventually get airtime devoted to them and I need to see how the internet reacts to it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
His head became a tree and his body became a bird

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
His heart was set free but his thoughts forever remained of his homeland.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

A full rear end season 6, sure why not

I really like what they did with jumping around in the timeline from Eren's POV, I don't think that was in the manga. At least Historia's bit was earlier iirc

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

A full rear end season 6, sure why not

I really like what they did with jumping around in the timeline from Eren's POV, I don't think that was in the manga. At least Historia's bit was earlier iirc

Yeah they did a great job this episode just making everything feel so foreboding and horrifying. I've been trying to not get my hopes up too high but I really think Mappa's gonna improve the ending a shitload, just by having things framed well to feel more appropriate. (and hopefully improving that one Armin scene in particular)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah they did a great job this episode just making everything feel so foreboding and horrifying. I've been trying to not get my hopes up too high but I really think Mappa's gonna improve the ending a shitload, just by having things framed well to feel more appropriate. (and hopefully improving that one Armin scene in particular)

I think they've improved things a lot as an experience just by reducing the Historia hints. And I hate to say it, because I still believe that

1) Eren was meant to be the father in earlier drafts

and

2) It would have been so much better an ending with only that change

but removing that whole thread means that the Eren and Mikasa relationship the ending we got leans into is stronger, it means there's less distractions from the main action, and it means they can clarify Eren's motives that they went with rather than having all these tangents that ultimately didn't tie into anything.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah having Historia show up less is still a bit disappointing, but it's way better than getting everyone's expectations out of wack.

I really liked the focus on Mikasa here, and her questioning her whole view of Eren. It feels like they're already working on making Mikasa's endgame stuff with Ymir make a little more sense.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah having Historia show up less is still a bit disappointing, but it's way better than getting everyone's expectations out of wack.

I really liked the focus on Mikasa here, and her questioning her whole view of Eren. It feels like they're already working on making Mikasa's endgame stuff with Ymir make a little more sense.

It also works really well with the endgame for her arc. Mikasa realizes that she was loving an image of Eren who wasn't quite the same as the real thing, and is confronted with the differences.

The whole cabin thing is Mikasa getting a life with her idealized Eren and growing past it to confirm she loves the real thing, flaws and all. It's why the scene with her kissing his head works. It's hosed up, but it also feels the only way things could really end between them.

It's also another reason why the ending pre-bonus pages was so bad. Mikasa in the base ending seemed to have just... stopped. Where her loving him in 138 was a sign of her independence, remembering him despite him begging her to forget, his 139 whinefest pushed it back into subservience. Eren never wanted her to move on, so she didn't. Mikasa never became her own person. The bonus pages managed to land things, with her marrying Jean (or someone else, but from the look of the guy, it's Jean) and still visiting Eren's grave regularly. She neither obeyed his expressed orders (forget me) or his weird rant (never get together with someone else). She made her own choices, and lived a long, happy life. It's just one of those choices was to remember and love Eren, despite everything.

(Seriously, 139 is such a weird disaster that part of me still kind of thinks it was deliberate. 138 and the bonus pages are both so much better that 139's failure stands out like a beacon.)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Did the manga have swimming wall titans? I forget.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DaveKap posted:

Yep. It was pretty funny

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

DaveKap posted:

It was less swimming and more steaming ahead, as I recall.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I knew to expect swimming wall titans, but I was definitely not expecting them to move like loving torpedoes

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah that was...not the way I was expecting that to be animated.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Gotta get to 80% of the world somehow

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The Wall Titans have some colossal leg strength.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
They are less dense than normal flesh after all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lamebot posted:

They are less dense than normal flesh after all.
*smacks fist into palm* I've got it! The way to live safely in a world ruled by man-eating titans! We must build Atlantis!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://animesenpai.net/attack-on-titan-author-felt-upset-that-there-was-criticism-on-the-last-chapter-manga-editor/

Jesus, no wonder the ending was such a mess.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

quote:

I had said I was going to do something about it. I think we were talking about this as something that has nothing to do with Shingeki no Kyojin. I remember that story. This last chapter sparked controversy, as some criticized it for “supporting genocide.” Of course, I didn’t mean to condone the on-site massacre at all, and Isayama-san was quite worried about it, but I told him, “This could be a really good thing. Compared to a real war, where a lot of people die, and only then do people think “genocide is not good”, when you read Shingeki no Kyojin and say “this is a pro-genocide manga” and feel bad about it, then the same message was conveyed to you, but without the need for anyone to die in real life

? ? ?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

That genocide answer is simultaneously complete bananas while also having an extraordinary amount of faith that everyone will in actuality reach that conclusion and uh, have they seen what some of the more hosed up portions of the fanbase are saying?

Also what exactly does he mean when putting “on-site” as a descriptor vs a plain massacre?

MechaX fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 8, 2022

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
When I posted under the alias MarleyStomper88 I was actually doing the world a great service. Insanely based logic at work here.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
In the last chapter everyone seemed quite pleased with the genocide. Gabi and Reiner seemed happy that at least their parents weren’t stomped. Not sure if the message got across unless it was if you kill everyone you’ll get bombed to hell in four hundred years

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

lol "surely everyone will disagree with me if I draw that actually genocide is good"

WELP

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Marluxia posted:

lol "surely everyone will disagree with me if I draw that actually genocide is good"

WELP

To give him some benefit of the doubt, it seemed like it started off as “hey wait, I didn’t mean for AoT to be pro-genocide; what should I do?” “Actually don’t do anything, you don’t need to clear that up; if people do think that AoT is pro-genocide, then obviously people will still think genocide is bad!” “Oh okay”

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

He should've gone full steam ahead and just treated it like a tragedy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought the whole idea that AoT might be construed as pro-genocide was a kotaku fabrication?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 8, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
last chapter muddied the anti genocide message with that page where Gabi and Falco are smiling in front of Big Ben after 80% of the world population has been turned to mulch

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Sounds like everyone involved was stupid as poo poo, huh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so what i am getting from that is it was a very good series for 130ish chapters. and then everyone working on it with a functioning brain simultaneously coughed, sneezed, and farted at the same time, exploding like that one scene in ren and stimpy

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

hatty posted:

last chapter muddied the anti genocide message with that page where Gabi and Falco are smiling in front of Big Ben after 80% of the world population has been turned to mulch

So, it's pro-genocide because, years later, two characters are shown as happy when they look at a place that Eren was stopped from squishing?

That feels a bit of a poorly considered take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I didn’t say that the work was pro genocide I just thought the last chapter was messy