Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Well, regardless of how we feel about Compton's Cookoff, I hope you'll agree that the next mental world is a real feast for the eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think this is my favorite level of the game already. It makes me want to listen to music like Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and She's a Rainbow. Anyone got more suggestions?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think this is my favorite level of the game already. It makes me want to listen to music like Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and She's a Rainbow. Anyone got more suggestions?

The most traditional choice is dark side of the moon by pink floyd

And thats what this entire level is, a big ol' love letter to psychedelic prog rock

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 28, 2022

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

There's also Space Oddity by David Bowie, or Led Zeppelin's The Rain Song.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
So much like Gloria’s Theater, Waterloo World and Black Velvetopia; Compton's Cookout and PSI King's Sensorium are unlocked and completed independently of each other.

And while you do have to complete both to progress the story, they don't require a specific order of completion; again like aforementioned Mental Worlds from the first game.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And thats what this entire level is, a big ol' love letter to psychedelic prog rock
And fittingly, our little glowing friend is voiced by none other than Jack Black. Additionally Panic Attack is noteworthy among their fellow Mental Processes like the Judge by being referred to as both a she and a he in an Xbox interview for Psychonauts 2.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 29, 2022

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Watch the Yellow Submarine animated film. I used to watch it all the time when I was little.

Chimera-gui posted:

And fittingly, our little glowing friend is voiced by none other than Jack Black.

Wait, what? I had no idea. Funny enough, this would make the 2nd Double Fine game he's showed up in.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Third.
He was in Broken Age.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

What was the 2nd? The 2nd for me was Broken Age

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brütal Legend!

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

drat, he sure gets around! I didn't even recognize his voice, but it explains something for a few videos ahead

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Incidentally, our mentor Nick is voiced by Elijah Wood.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Abbie Normal is this great movie joke from the film Young Frankenstein, so very brain related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Pw0xX4DXI

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

There's a really cool thing I've been holding off on talking about. Psychonauts 2 has a secret area you can only access from the Psi King's Sensorium at a specific point in the story, the one we just reached! The gameplay in the secret area is drastically different, and I'm not 100% sure how it ties in to the Psi King's storyline. Let me know if you have more info.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Well, that's a new little secret.

If I had to guess, this looks like cut content that's been thrown in a hidden spot. As you said, nothing really matches the themes of the Sensorium. It could have been based on an earlier version of it or another level.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh my god it's Bit Trip Runner.
Yeah Raz was a DLC skin for bit trip runner 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJCF045ISU

and I think the mode in psychonauts 2 is a boss rush of runner 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvrDGuruN4c

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 1, 2022

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
I got to admit, you had me there for a bit. It was only when you got to the third loading screen that I started to feel something was up and googled it. Kudos to you.

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 1, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I really like the reason for the name Psi King.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
I didn't clue in to what was happening until I got suspicious and googled one of the boss names. Once I found about the DLC packs, then it all made sense. But the setup was just plausible enough to completely trick me when it started.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im impressed and disappointed at myself for correctly guessing it but not realizing it was a joke

It is me, the fool

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Congrats to those who recognized it! :)

We'll move on to the actual next part, with 100% more Timbletot but slightly more metal.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can someone tell me what is written on those fans you need to slow down?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

You don't strictly need pouncy ball there, you technically bypassed a tiny section of the level.

I didn't notice this until this video, but the sections of the crowd change moods in a way that matches with the colors of the instruments and band members you find.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mraagvpeine posted:

The ones in this video were "You Can't something Time" (slow? stop?) and "Time Is An Illusion" I think.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I may be able to take a look in a far later video. I'll make a note.

fractalairduct posted:

You don't strictly need pouncy ball there, you technically bypassed a tiny section of the level.

...well gently caress.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Anaxite posted:

Congrats to those who recognized it! :)

We'll move on to the actual next part, with 100% more Timbletot but slightly more metal.

I'm all ears for this LP.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm all ears for this LP.

Fortunately, for the viewers it's a hands-off event; You get a taste of the experience.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Anaxite posted:

...well gently caress.

It would be pretty bad game design to require an optional upgrade that you might not have (or be able to get, if you spent your ranks on other things).

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And yeah, the ending cutscene in the real world was why I asked for Anaxite's permission before noting how Compton's Cookout and PSI King's Sensorium worked in relation to each other in the overworld.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

The game is fairly linear, but it's good that they added little spots where you can do things in a different order.

Re: pouncy ball, any time I use pouncy ball and there was a regular path that didn't need it, it's probably because I tend to buy that levitation upgrade first. When you get pouncy ball everything seems like a problem pouncy ball can solve. Hammers and nails and all that.

Also be prepared to see me forget Time Bubble's name and call it Time Stop. A lot.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Its a conspiracy

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Okay that performance was just lovely (and I noticed a direct reference to the Yellow Submarine film, so I'm just extra delighted.)

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

And speaking of the performance, the song is called Cosmic I, and is sung by none other than Jack Black (which is why his vocal performance made sense earlier)! The track really stands out compared to the rest of the soundtrack.

You can listen to it here (spoiler warning for the other tracks' names):
Spotify
YouTube

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah I very purposely held back on saying too much before the third video of Sensorium because I was asked to but Jack Black as Helmut Fullbear was inspired.

Jack and Robin Williams are two of the few celebrities that I think work really well as voice actors, especially for characters that clearly written for them like Po and Eddie Riggs for Jack or Batty Koda and the Genie for Williams. They have an energy to them that makes it so that even when the character has to be somber, they are not lifeless.

EDIT: Fun Fact: Jack was in a Pitfall commercial when he was a kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncRnqCfmMmU

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 9, 2023

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

By this point in the game it's a pretty good idea to explore the physical world areas, collect what you can, and rank up, if you haven't already. Your wallet will also thank you.

In these next four videos I round up most collectables and upgrade my stuff a little. There are still a few things left, but I left them both because it lets me show off post game features, and because sometimes that last card is drat hard to find.

E: oh, and this is also the opportunity to look around the world and see a bunch of neat details!

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 10, 2022

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Oh, I think they made the thought tuner a lot more functional. I'm pretty sure that when I played the game, the light didn't turn green, and there weren't those cloudy spots around. I just waited for Raz to say something about picking up stray thoughts.

I'm glad Phoebe and Quentin finally settled on their bandname. I did think 'The Firestarters' was the better option. And it's a real shame about what happened to All Paul.

Can the Psychoseismometers contain enemies that haven't been introduced in the story yet? I would have assumed they can't, so they might actually be easier if you come to them earlier.

Yeah, that flower cave is a really weird setpiece. It's one of the areas that gets specifically marked on your map, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to go there other than the scavenger hunt item.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

fractalairduct posted:

Can the Psychoseismometers contain enemies that haven't been introduced in the story yet? I would have assumed they can't, so they might actually be easier if you come to them earlier.

Correct, they can't, so it's easiest to do them as soon as you have access to the outside areas.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

whitehelm posted:

Correct, they can't, so it's easiest to do them as soon as you have access to the outside areas.

I thought my recording schedule would make it hard to show off the psychoseismometer arena and I forgot to mention the enemy change in the video, but at this point I'll see how much I can show off towards the end of the LP. I'm likely ahead enough I can get extra footage.

fractalairduct posted:

Oh, I think they made the thought tuner a lot more functional. I'm pretty sure that when I played the game, the light didn't turn green, and there weren't those cloudy spots around. I just waited for Raz to say something about picking up stray thoughts.

That may have been one of the post-launch updates! They have made the game slightly easier for collecting items.

I sometimes think the green light is enough and the cloudy spots are a little bit too easy, but it's not as if there's anything wrong with streamlining the experience.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Oh yeah, one of the other updates they made to the game is that the Psychoseismometers are now replayable, so you always have a combat arena if you want.

[Mod Note: Pay attention to the spoiler policies you weenies]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 13, 2022

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Them's post game spoilers, friend. At least tag it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Grabbing stuff, getting a closer look at the place, and feeling sorry for Coach Morceau Oleander. Not giving him an office seems like they're goating him into doing something rash, which would lead to a very bleat future.