Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wondering how many people who rushed to buy over-priced rural properties that require oil deliveries for their hot water and heating are now regretting it!

Plenty around here. It's an extra nail in the coffin along with the second home council tax multiplier that's due soon. The estate agents say they've never been busier. Good riddance to most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Rustybear posted:

Sorry to break in with a random request but wondering if some of the folks in this thread might be able to point me in the right direction.

Can anyone recommend a legal representative / advisor for a Public Nuisance charge related to a protest. Rather not go into detail but a friend is currently intending to represent themselves which seems foolhardy in the extreme to me as it's an unlimited fine and/or custodial sentence of up to 5 years. Free / pro bono type would be ideal but all options considered, cheers.

DM me please, prefer not to discuss as they don't know I've posted here. Thanks.

Your friend should under no circumstances defend themselves, it's a recipe for disaster. Try contacting your local law centers, chances are that they won't touch a criminal case but they may point you in the direction of someone who act can help.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tsietisin posted:

Around 1998-1998 the Cult of the Dead Cow released a piece of software that scanned IP ranges for malicious code installed on people's PCs, which allowed you to completely take over and access their PC.

One of the features of this was that it displayed in plain text all the usernames and passwords currently saved on that machine.

Now someone unscrupulous could scan the IP range of the ISP they were using at the time and discover the login details for their online accounts, thus bypassing the usage and monthly fees.

I of course never ever did this.

On of my school friends managed to get me to install BO2k in 99/2000 or so. I've been much better at security since.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Got a scary Amazon/scammer scare there over the last week that I thought I'd share to warn others.

So my mother bought some clothes on Amazon, due March 29th, by Royal Mail.
Day came, but mum was out, and so missed the delivery. No card, nothing left at neighbours as can happen sometimes, nothing.
Few hours later my brother (who ordered it for her) got a text from a 'Simon' that said he had to pay £2 for the delivery.
The text had no mention of Royal Mail, the link wasn't to their site, just you had to pay £2.
Brother thought it was suspicious, and went through the royal mail website to redeliver it today.
Got it today, and when talking to our local postie about it, he said it was definitely a scam to get your bank details.

Anyone hear about this scam before?
How did they know we had a delivery and it was not collected?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I think this scam is usually just chancers who know that deliveries are common enough they'll get lucky sooner or later because everyone is getting stuff delivered all the time these days.

Edit: it's a really really common scam now tho, some people get it multiple times a day so it's maybe just coincidence there'd just been that missed delivery.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

happyhippy posted:

Got a scary Amazon/scammer scare there over the last week that I thought I'd share to warn others.

Day came, but mum was out, and so missed the delivery. No card, nothing left at neighbours as can happen sometimes, nothing.
Few hours later my brother (who ordered it for her) got a text from a 'Simon' that said he had to pay £2 for the delivery.
The text had no mention of Royal Mail, the link wasn't to their site, just you had to pay £2.
Brother thought it was suspicious, and went through the royal mail website to redeliver it today.
Got it today, and when talking to our local postie about it, he said it was definitely a scam to get your bank details.

This scam has being going around for ages - sometimes it says Royal Mail, or DPD or Hermes or whatever. I've had loads. My mum gets them and I've warned her so many times she just deletes them now.
It's just coincidence that your mother missed a delivery and the text said it. The texts normally say something like missed delivery or something stuck in warehouse or whatever. Basically, anything asking for money to redeliver is 99.9% a scam.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/beatthescammers/article-10339343/Delivery-text-message-scams-rise-says-UK-Finance.html

(Sorry for the Heil link)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

happyhippy posted:

I got messages like that most days during the pandemic. It's just a scattergun approach.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

happyhippy posted:

I had the same thing, haven't ordered anything online for months. The message didn't give a company or courier name either, I didn't even click the link. So yeah, seems like random chance by scammers.

e. I didn't realise it was so common! Makes sense I guess

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 5, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Ah, thanks all.
First time happened to us. We are usually 'wise' to these.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Search history... 'asian babes with big boobs'.

I had a stern word with him because my dad was the exact sort of person who would have taken his computer to a repair shop and with his then 'position in local society' it would have definitely made the front of the local paper or even the front of South Wales Argus

Hold on... That's not against the law? Or even bad

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No it's not against the law. But given my dad's local role at the time, looking up asian babes would definitely be harmful to his reputation. Especially as he wasn't and it was my nephew.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol I'm only joking obvs, but if I took my PC to a repair place and my love of Asian babes ended up front page news on the middleofnowhereshire times I'd be livid!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I just want to live in a world where looking up hot Asian babes is not looked down upon

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol I'm only joking obvs, but if I took my PC to a repair place and my love of Asian babes ended up front page news on the middleofnowhereshire times I'd be livid!

My town is the kind of place where the doctors' receptionist gossips about the patients' problems. Nevermind privacy and all that.
It's also the sort of town where if a girl goes into hospital to get her appendix out it goes all round town that she had an abortion, or if you meet someone for half an hour in your entire life, suddenly it's all round town that you were doing bongs with them every night for a year. (One of those happened to me, and one to a relative.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

I just want to live in a world where looking up hot Asian babes is not looked down upon
*googles "Asian girls first time seeing huge white cock"*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This scam has being going around for ages - sometimes it says Royal Mail, or DPD or Hermes or whatever. I've had loads. My mum gets them and I've warned her so many times she just deletes them now.
It's just coincidence that your mother missed a delivery and the text said it. The texts normally say something like missed delivery or something stuck in warehouse or whatever. Basically, anything asking for money to redeliver is 99.9% a scam.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/beatthescammers/article-10339343/Delivery-text-message-scams-rise-says-UK-Finance.html

(Sorry for the Heil link)

Annoyingly I get a bunch of work stuff through courier so I never know when I'm expecting something, fortunately if it doesn't arrive I don't care anyway so I never bothered checking lol.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A particularly insidious scam I found trying me a couple weeks ago was a fake contact tracing message saying someone I'd recently come into contact with had tested positive, and offered a link to get my free covid testing kit urgently.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

*googles "Asian girls first time seeing huge white cock"*

That's a real odd picture, the crack in the wall running into the woman's straight posture makes it look like it's two pictures

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jakabite posted:

That's a real odd picture, the crack in the wall running into the woman's straight posture makes it look like it's two pictures

EXACTLY this

possibly its an expansion gap

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I'm proud of my searches for hot Asian babes :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

josh04 posted:

The infinite lifts will have to move infinitely fast to get you to your infinite floor, which is good, but unfortunately they're going to have to stop at every floor while all the occupants move one lift car to the right, otherwise you'll never get a free one.

You could solve this with a paternoster, which is basically a bucket wheel but for humans.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

You could solve this with a paternoster, which is basically a bucket wheel but for humans.

The man engine is much more fitting with the whole "infinite amount of people move one along" theme:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah yes, what if we could maximise the amount of opportunities to loving kill yourself and also you still need to do a lot of walking.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The man engine is much more fitting with the whole "infinite amount of people move one along" theme:

It doesn't even really resemble it but seeing this gave me a total flashback to the Spectrum game 'Mad Nurse' where you have to stop little cartoon babies killing themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxCfmXUQxa0&t=113s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think i would genuinely rather try my luck with a rope looped over a pulley with stirrups tied to it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Not a scam, but we got a note through the door from a ''family firm" advising us that they had cleaned our wheely bin (unsolicited), and we now owed them £3, which we could pay by BACS or by ringing some mobile number. We have not paid our £3, and actually I guess it probably is a scam, or at least scam adjacent.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Rustybear posted:

Sorry to break in with a random request but wondering if some of the folks in this thread might be able to point me in the right direction.

Can anyone recommend a legal representative / advisor for a Public Nuisance charge related to a protest. Rather not go into detail but a friend is currently intending to represent themselves which seems foolhardy in the extreme to me as it's an unlimited fine and/or custodial sentence of up to 5 years. Free / pro bono type would be ideal but all options considered, cheers.

DM me please, prefer not to discuss as they don't know I've posted here. Thanks.

Defending yourself is an incredibly stupid idea. Pay for the best legal defence you can get because it will always be cheaper than the price of your freedom.

Green and Black Cross are not solicitors, but they have a list of different types of solicitors, including criminal solicitors, and has a list of ones that come recommended and ones to avoid here: https://greenandblackcross.org/solicitors/. This isn't a comprehensive list but it's somewhere to start.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Perfect Element posted:

Not a scam, but we got a note through the door from a ''family firm" advising us that they had cleaned our wheely bin (unsolicited), and we now owed them £3, which we could pay by BACS or by ringing some mobile number. We have not paid our £3, and actually I guess it probably is a scam, or at least scam adjacent.

Did they actually clean your bin tho? Also who gives a poo poo about cleaning their wheely bin?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Ah yes, what if we could maximise the amount of opportunities to loving kill yourself and also you still need to do a lot of walking.

I mean the alternative was either climbing up a thousand feet worth of ladders or a lift with no passive safety features and using hemp ropes which failed all the time, something so dangerous that it was completely banned *even in Industrial Revolution mines*. That's right, the people who used naked flames for illumination and 8-year-old kids to operate ventilation systems balked at riding up with the ore.

Even when steel cables and arrest systems were cracked, making lifts much safer, the man engine continued to be used in Cornish mines because it was considerably quicker - 1 person every 2 seconds could get on it, compared to 30 or 40 every 15 minutes for the lift at the deepest mines. Surprisingly deaths and injuries were rare, the users were pretty careful and the shaft and rods were sized such that actually falling was surprisingly tricky. Of course when something *did* go wrong with the system itself the death tolls were horrific, but again we're talking pre-unionised mining here, a lot more people were getting killed by literally every other thing involved in it and the man engine at least got you home an hour earlier.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/IrvineWelsh/status/1511074647680471044

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

quote:

It was invented in Germany in the 19th century and was a prominent feature of tin and copper mines in Cornwall until the beginning of the twentieth century.

I suppose it's not that surprising Blighttown would be underneath the UK.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My town is the kind of place where the doctors' receptionist gossips about the patients' problems. Nevermind privacy and all that.
It's also the sort of town where if a girl goes into hospital to get her appendix out it goes all round town that she had an abortion, or if you meet someone for half an hour in your entire life, suddenly it's all round town that you were doing bongs with them every night for a year. (One of those happened to me, and one to a relative.)

Ah, the charm of small towns.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

:discourse:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Failed Imagineer posted:

Did they actually clean your bin tho? Also who gives a poo poo about cleaning their wheely bin?

You know, I haven't even checked.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Perfect Element posted:

If nothing else that's the equivalent of a guy with a squeegee at the stoplights.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Shockingly, things other than crimes make the papers. Remember David Mellor and his toesucking? (Ok most people probably don't now :corsair:)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

feedmegin posted:

Shockingly, things other than crimes make the papers. Remember David Mellor and his toesucking? (Ok most people probably don't now :corsair:)

It was the Chelsea shirt wot done for Mellor.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I remember the Chelsea kit scandal. Also Fergie married to Andrew HRN was in a toe sucking scandal.
Also :corsair:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Shockingly, it's not about that though is it? Whilst I might forgive or even support a PC repair shop breaking customer confidentiality to report a crime, they can go gently caress themselves for revealing my Asian babe fetish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If searching for big boobed asian babes is a crime, then guilty as charged m'lud.