Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

first FOTF...and it's Sean Murphy...who won't even start for me because I took the cover Mauer rad.

As much as I get the idea of wanting to guarantee that most players don't have every single card from every set or whatever, not really liking the changes so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Aren't those cover player picks sellable?

I mean I get wanting to have Mauer but if you wanted I think you could sell him and get another cover athlete plus Murphy

I packed Seager, Franco, Webb, and Lindor so far, Seager and Webb were good but I wasn't thrilled with Lindor or Franco

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I mean, I could sell mauer, but I want to use the mauer. Bigger issue is that I'm more on the "why would you not let me sell the random card instead of the one I get to pick personally?"

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I mean, I could sell mauer, but I want to use the mauer. Bigger issue is that I'm more on the "why would you not let me sell the random card instead of the one I get to pick personally?"

Oh yeah I feel you, it definitely sucks when you just draw some dudes you can't use. I drew Seager who I l like, Lindor and Franco I'm meh about, and I'll get Longoria from the mini seasons, so that's at least 1 diamond already that I just can't use since they all only play 2B/3B/SS.

I got two more draws that were decent, I got Brian Reynolds and Clase which I'm reasonably happy about. Gonna probably pick Buxton with my AL Central pick because no matter what he's going to be able to be a good pinch runner/defensive sub for...the entire year I guess.

I have all diamonds already except that I'm running Edmonds at 1B, it's pretty nuts how fast they give you a really good team. Granted I have been playing way too much this weekend.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 4, 2022

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I've only been playing about two hours a night, because I've been on a big reading kick.

I don't have any diamonds just yet, past the two that came with the game.

Cover athlete Ohtani, being able to pitch and fill the hitter spot is huge, as it was for me in 21.

But they have absolutely assassinated pitcher stamina in three inning games, to the point of silliness. I'm having relievers getting "tired" to "no energy" after one at bat. I need more than eight good pitches when you have to face three batters on a fresh inning, God damnit.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Captain Log posted:

I've only been playing about two hours a night, because I've been on a big reading kick.

I don't have any diamonds just yet, past the two that came with the game.

Cover athlete Ohtani, being able to pitch and fill the hitter spot is huge, as it was for me in 21.

But they have absolutely assassinated pitcher stamina in three inning games, to the point of silliness. I'm having relievers getting "tired" to "no energy" after one at bat. I need more than eight good pitches when you have to face three batters on a fresh inning, God damnit.

It sucks but the major solace with the new stamina stuff is the computer subs out the 99 Randys after 1 IP when you play super teams in mini seasons

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay MLB the Show 22 is in a much better launch state than the Show 21 was. Had time to play a full game in franchise mode and this is feeling a lot better already.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Okay MLB the Show 22 is in a much better launch state than the Show 21 was. Had time to play a full game in franchise mode and this is feeling a lot better already.

Yeah I remember 21 was unplayable for like an entire week, it was miserable

If anyone wants to grind XP the fastest, plus getting a free 99+ overall player, the fastest thing to do is to do road the show, set it to beginner, put your home stadium to Shippett or Coors, and just mash power swing on every AB. You'll basically always at least hit at least a double and you can get to diamond archetype in like 5-6 hours and get 500-1k XP per game that each take only a few minutes. Don't gently caress with sliders, it will cut your exp, you just need to set it to beginner.

I mean yes this isn't really "playing" the game, but you can watch Netflix or do w/e and it's very beneficial. I did it for a few hours to get my diamond power archetype and that's a big part of how I already got all the random packs and 1 choice pack (AL Central, got Buxton)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The menus, reloading scenarios etc. seems much snappier this year on next gen which is nice. Only played a little last night but the hitting feels a bit better too. Hopefully theres more singles and doubles this time around vs the pop out or homer fest that a lot of games last year were.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah for anyone who hasn't played the game before and doesn't know how strong the created ballplayer is after a day of grinding this is my dude without even having the best perks or equipment or being fully levelled, he will end up with like 80 contact and 125 power

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
lol at the Featured AL showdown making you hit a home run in the very first mission with your freshly drafted team of mostly ~68OVR shitters. I have to imagine they did it to spite all the people who complained that showdown was one of the most consistently annoying game modes

I mean you can skip it and/or take nothing but bats in the draft I guess, I just think it's funny

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh yeah for anyone who hasn't played the game before and doesn't know how strong the created ballplayer is after a day of grinding this is my dude without even having the best perks or equipment or being fully levelled, he will end up with like 80 contact and 125 power

Does that carry over to all your created players, or do you start at the beginning like you did in 20?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Does that carry over to all your created players, or do you start at the beginning like you did in 20?

I dunno I wasn't planning on doing more than one

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

barnold posted:

lol at the Featured AL showdown making you hit a home run in the very first mission with your freshly drafted team of mostly ~68OVR shitters. I have to imagine they did it to spite all the people who complained that showdown was one of the most consistently annoying game modes

I mean you can skip it and/or take nothing but bats in the draft I guess, I just think it's funny

Showdown loving sucks, mostly because stuff like "Get two hits and a home run in two innings" with some random rear end players is pretty flukey. If you had multiple tries, I'd feel different.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Showdown is kinda fun if you just rawdog it and skip right to the boss. You really make every at bat count instead of subconsciously going "literally everyone is a 99 and is imbued with the powers of a greek god why aren't i winning yet" as you get into 0-2 counts constantly.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Is RTTS ok for learning how to play the game?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Stefan Prodan posted:

If anyone wants to grind XP the fastest, plus getting a free 99+ overall player, the fastest thing to do is to do road the show, set it to beginner, put your home stadium to Shippett or Coors, and just mash power swing on every AB. You'll basically always at least hit at least a double and you can get to diamond archetype in like 5-6 hours and get 500-1k XP per game that each take only a few minutes. Don't gently caress with sliders, it will cut your exp, you just need to set it to beginner.

this is the greatest poo poo ever. I did this while playing Civ with friends last night and averaged like 3HR a game. didn't waste time with any fielding appearances (my player is a left fielder) and just simmed straight to ABs. the novelty will wear off fast I bet but it's hilarious to watch my goofy rear end baseballer hit nonstop dingers

i play at Capital Field though, it reminds me of downtown Concord, NH

cams
Mar 28, 2003

have not played the show in 6 years, a question

as somebody posted above about just lowering your difficulty to grind in RTTS, i assume this means that difficulty has no effect on rewards? i was letting dynamic put me where it wanted, but i may just grind easy mode to get my stats up if that's the case

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

have not played the show in 6 years, a question

as somebody posted above about just lowering your difficulty to grind in RTTS, i assume this means that difficulty has no effect on rewards? i was letting dynamic put me where it wanted, but i may just grind easy mode to get my stats up if that's the case

I think you might get a tiny multiplier penalty to XP that's vastly made up by hitting the ball 500 feet every AB which is worth way more than a single on HOF

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think you might get a tiny multiplier penalty to XP that's vastly made up by hitting the ball 500 feet every AB which is worth way more than a single on HOF
so, in theory, i can play on beginner, rack up insane stats and level up quickly, then keep my saved stats and start a new RTTS fresh with higher stats on a more challenging difficulty?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

This may be a dumb question but I haven't played an MLB game since like mid-2000's. Can I just play an offline franchise mode vs the computer and make the occasional poorly-balanced trade like old sports games, and ignore all of this nonsense about grinding XP and card packs?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

so, in theory, i can play on beginner, rack up insane stats and level up quickly, then keep my saved stats and start a new RTTS fresh with higher stats on a more challenging difficulty?

Yeah although you could also just change the difficulty any time you wanted, there's no reason to start over

I mean if you wanna start over in the minors yeah you can use the same guy or same archetype etc

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

This may be a dumb question but I haven't played an MLB game since like mid-2000's. Can I just play an offline franchise mode vs the computer and make the occasional poorly-balanced trade like old sports games, and ignore all of this nonsense about grinding XP and card packs?

yes

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

barnold posted:

this is the greatest poo poo ever. I did this while playing Civ with friends last night and averaged like 3HR a game. didn't waste time with any fielding appearances (my player is a left fielder) and just simmed straight to ABs. the novelty will wear off fast I bet but it's hilarious to watch my goofy rear end baseballer hit nonstop dingers

i play at Capital Field though, it reminds me of downtown Concord, NH

Is fisher cats stadium in the game

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Is fisher cats stadium in the game

no but Capital Field is the generic home stadium for the Fisher Cats, who my CAP is currently assigned to. I dig it

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
You get some XP for using Rob Dibble up to a certain point.

I popped him out of the bullpen, fully warmed up.

"Pitcher is Tired"

It had been four pitches.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
He’s old, what do you expect

Man’s 58!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I love the fact that monster pitchers are gone after an inning. But I really think the stamina needs tweaking. A reliever should be worth more than FOUR fresh loving pitches. Especially in a game where eight to ten plus pitch at bats can happen every loving batter.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Pitchers always drain fast on 3 inning games. I don't think that's changed?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Pitchers always drain fast on 3 inning games. I don't think that's changed?

It has changed, they drain even faster this year.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
GamePass people get a code for 10 free packs fyi if you don't check your perks

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is Legend Rob Nen still 48 years old for some reason?

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I don’t mind the increased drain in three-inning games in Conquest mode, but in mini seasons where energy carries over it’s a pain

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

does every RTTS start with this guy screaming at you that you suck, lmao

also this is the first version that didn't have my (spelled differently but pronounced the same) last name recorded...guess that guy retired.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It does get a little annoying in events where you'll have a guy using someone with 100 contact and vision who can foul off nearly any pitch with contact swings, so if they decide to just contact swing on everything you can easily be literally out of energy or at least in the red in one AB if the person strategically just fouls everything off against certain low stamina pitchers (closers especially)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Does RTTS still do the thing from last year where it was hard to actually force your create a player to play a position? My wife loves baseball but she bounced off that mode last year.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

Does RTTS still do the thing from last year where it was hard to actually force your create a player to play a position? My wife loves baseball but she bounced off that mode last year.

Nah I created a catcher and it hasn't attempted to move me at all

You also don't have to gently caress with being a two way player at all

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

oldskool posted:

does every RTTS start with this guy screaming at you that you suck, lmao

Oh hell yeah sounds like mad dog is back

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Getting thirty pitches from a starter, and fifteen to twenty from a reliever was totally reasonable in three inning games.

I'm literally having relievers poo poo themselves halfway through one batter in Battle Royale games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have horrible news.

Dugnutt is no longer available as a voiced last name under the new commentary.