Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

There’s more like it

He’s got some weird ideas, but at least he’s creative, which is more than 99.9% of Hollywood. Lucas still needs a good editor, help with directing, help with VFX, help with the script, producing, marketing and leaving his old works alone, basically people who tell him no don’t do this Georgie it is a bad idea

Other than that he’s quite a genius

I mean, basically every director on earth needs an editor, VFX people, writers, producers, marketers, etc. Like, you're trying to slam Lucas here but it only works as a slam if you assume most other successful directors are polymath geniuses who handle every aspect of production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I'm surprised nobody has tried to slam Scorsese for only directing adaptations. Dude talks a lot of poo poo but can't even come up with his own stories. Foh out of here.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They’re doing a podcast now, I THINK on audible

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/sony-musics-global-podcast-division-partners-with-broadcasters-mark-kermode-and-simon-mayo/

quote:

Simon Mayo says: “We said it wasn’t the end.

“The sequel is here… this time with sequins’

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sweet. I used to listen to their radio show religiously back when I was doing shift work and had my letters read out a few times.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Gripweed posted:

I'm surprised nobody has tried to slam Scorsese for only directing adaptations. Dude talks a lot of poo poo but can't even come up with his own stories. Foh out of here.

Scorsese - please tweet that you think Marvel movies are good now because you saw Morbius. destroy film Twitter forever

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Mozi posted:

the vikings were pretty neat but i can't really get past how they could be real jerks sometimes

A+ on kit, big goose egg for all the raping, pillaging, looting and slavery.

Arc Hammer posted:

You're probably thinking of The Last Kingdom, but that's mainly Saxons versus Danes who have settled the Danelaw on the east of Britain, so they're not technically going viking anymore as much as they're colonizers.

That's one of them, there's another that iirc is a feature or short series dealing with an exile king and his revenge. Very colorful period appropriate clothes. Best historical representation. This is not The King with Robby Pats as the dauphin. That's good too but it goes off books during the seige of whatever french castle on the road to Agincour. That was the first european siege to use cannons. You'd think something like that would be highlighted.

It me. I'm the nerd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmSWATt5x8o&t=111s

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Robert the Bruce movie was good too

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

DaysBefore posted:

YEah it was, forgot about that one.

There's a Dauphin street in Mobile AL, every there calls it Dolphin. :sad:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Outlaw King? That was cool

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DaysBefore posted:

The Batman?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I ain't gonna remember all these Middle Ages movies and shows. Can I please have them ranked in the form of a numbered list?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
IDGAF about any of the new trek shows. It's still a lot more entertaining to watch these two hack frauds wrack their brains over Picard and how it does(n't) follow ST canon than talk about how they were kind of bored but somewhat entertained by the latest superhero movie.

New Nerd Crew when??

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

DiHK posted:

e: yep, Outlaw King. I feel like the RLM boys in regard to period movies, everything gets all jumbled up.

I haven't watched it all yet but I bought a copy of Waterloo, the 70's film with a bazillion extras. Nappy just got back to Paris from Elba and then Elden Ring came out. It's fine so far, a little dull, the drama aspects are definitely a product of it's time.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

My god every cut to Wheaton in the Picard reviews just somehow suck every bit of my soul out of my body. To the point where I kinda feel super bad for him?? Picard Season 4 is going to be helmed by Lars von Trier and will have Picard and Beverly Crusher having sweaty sex stretched out over the first three episodes with Wesley as a serial killer that must be stopped.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress is going on with the Picard writing

it almost seems like they gave a writing AI the parameters of "drop mentions of the characters from this IP we own and crowbar some of the old actors in" and just let it run wild

there seems to be zero cohesive direction halfway through the season and they're still introducing characters and poo poo? christ I'm glad I'm not actually watching this

Jiro posted:

My god every cut to Wheaton in the Picard reviews just somehow suck every bit of my soul out of my body. To the point where I kinda feel super bad for him?? Picard Season 4 is going to be helmed by Lars von Trier and will have Picard and Beverly Crusher having sweaty sex stretched out over the first three episodes with Wesley as a serial killer that must be stopped.

his face is going to get stuck in permanent YouTube Thumbnail mode if he isn't careful

a gruesome new-age Mr. Sardonicus

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 5, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DiHK posted:

e: yep, Outlaw King. I feel like the RLM boys in regard to period movies, everything gets all jumbled up.

I haven't watched it all yet but I bought a copy of Waterloo, the 70's film with a bazillion extras. Nappy just got back to Paris from Elba and then Elden Ring came out. It's fine so far, a little dull, the drama aspects are definitely a product of it's time.

The best part of that movie is Steiger and Plummer going full ham. Or the charge of the Scots Greys.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Old and busted: Star track
New hotness: With the plot of the film out in the open now, I still don't really understand what the secrets of dumbledore are supposed to be

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Mike's impression of Capt. Picard has just morphed into him doing the 800 year old grail knight from Last Crusade

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DiHK posted:

and dauphin island. tbf though, it does mean dolphin

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Monkey Fracas posted:

its bad chief

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the secret or dumbledore is that he's gay. 192 minutes.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Is Morbius an apeman? What's going on?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Maybe we should the Morbius Discord community

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the secret or dumbledore is that he's gay. 192 minutes.

Rotten tomatoes:

Critics: "it's a beautiful modern day tale of LGBTQIA+ love story" 99%

Audiences: "I wanted to see wizards do magic, not 40 scenes of gay sex" 5%

Box office: $1.75billion against a budget of $400million.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Milo and POTUS posted:

and dauphin island. tbf though, it does mean dolphin

The island or both? Given Mobile's French roots I'd always thought it was "prince street" poo poo, is the island even there still?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

There’s more like it

He’s got some weird ideas, but at least he’s creative, which is more than 99.9% of Hollywood. Lucas still needs a good editor, help with directing, help with VFX, help with the script, producing, marketing and leaving his old works alone, basically people who tell him no don’t do this Georgie it is a bad idea

Other than that he’s quite a genius

This is like saying the ideas from Nathan For You are weird but at least they're creative. Yes, that's true, and how bizarre and impractical the ideas are is the big joke. Take someone doing that seriously and it's funny that it's even getting made, but it doesn't make for good fiction, just a laughable wreck.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

General Dog posted:

The Batman?

lol

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

Cubone posted:

I think, just no one has ever pitched me vikings in a way that makes it sound like something that I would be interested in seeing in narrative form
as a historical interest, sure, I'd probably watch a whole rear end documentary series about them

whenever somebody says something's about vikings, I guess I picture... a boat?
one of those long skinny ones with a ton of oars
probably lit in blue to indicate that it's night, but definitely with that kind of high-saturation high-contrast cheaply shot digital look of hour long TNT dramas

and I just imagine there's a lot of scenes of very serious conversations, or shots just showing how actual vikings attached a thing to a thing or made swords or whatever, instead of crazy viking poo poo like pillaging because pillaging is kind of expensive to shoot
or maybe the boat will sail through a storm while epic music plays 😴

and that's pretty much it, I basically just picture a boat in my head and go "what a stupid idea for a show" because I'm like a dumb guy

I don't know what a viking story looks like or what's compelling about it
like, by contrast, if you said "a submarine movie" a lot people would be like "oh, like hunt for red october" or "oh, like crimson tide" or the more cultured people might be like "oh, like das boot" and for some reason I'd be like "oohhh, like wrath of khan!"
because we know what a submarine movie looks like. we know what a sports movie looks like, we know what a spy movie looks like, we kiiinda know what a pirate movie looks like
but there hasn't been that definitive moment yet for vikings, I think. we don't have the shape of what a viking story is in a way that's permeated pop culture, so for me and joanne and cletus it just sounds vaguely boring because we have no reference point for how it could be interesting

:words:

This is Hagar the Horrible erasure!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1511389047838679046?t=KUrAKJ-oWzxF-jaWU_76XQ&s=19

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

the "origin story" of 10 Forward's name killed a tiny bit of my soul

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Denise Crosby in shambles

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

WampaLord posted:

guinan has lived for over 600 years has apparently been a bartender for 599 of them

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Oh man, that's really stupid, as is her always having been a bartender. Someone earlier compared it to the Jedi robes and it's pretty much spot on IMO.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

I don't think it's a movie for me, but A24 needs to pay bills too.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Oh sick a new Alfred Hitchcock UHD set is coming out. Rad as heck!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09VLDC3CV/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

guinan has lived for over 600 years has apparently been a bartender for 599 of them

And she managed to get her bar set up in the USS Enterprise at the exact same address it had for the previous 500 years on earth. loving uncanny, that.

its all nice on rice posted:

New Nerd Crew when??

Probably never, they seem to think they've run that joke so thoroughly into the ground that even they won't return to it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Monkey Fracas posted:

it almost seems like they gave a writing AI the parameters of "drop mentions of the characters from this IP we own and crowbar some of the old actors in" and just let it run wild

there seems to be zero cohesive direction halfway through the season and they're still introducing characters and poo poo? christ I'm glad I'm not actually watching this

They're doing the same thing everyone working with Kurtzman ends up doing, spinning out a million different story/character threads with no real plan to resolve them in any cohesive or satisfactory manner, because it's about the journey, man. The ultimate resolution, to the extent there is one at all, will simply abandon half of them altogether, the other half will be split between completely nonsensical, and (possibly literal) deus ex machina.

Despite this happening again, some people will be cautiously optimistic for season 3

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

infernal machines posted:

They're doing the same thing everyone working with Kurtzman ends up doing, spinning out a million different story/character threads with no real plan to resolve them in any cohesive or satisfactory manner, because it's about the journey, man. The ultimate resolution, to the extent there is one at all, will simply abandon half of them altogether, the other half will be split between completely nonsensical, and (possibly literal) deus ex machina.

Despite this happening again, some people will be cautiously optimistic for season 3

since it’s a combo of Q plot, time travel plot, and “mirror” universe plot, I cant bring myself to care at all. It’s triple pointless!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

This is an A24 film. Does it turn out Marcel is actually a demonic spirit responsible for his family disappearing and grandma shell is hiding the truth from him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Haven’t watched the Re:Views, is Picard still an android or what?