Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like a good compromise would be 18's front and rear like a vrod :haw:

The XJ600 Seca/Diversion had this and it makes tire shopping great fun if you want to try new options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wait seriously!? I thought the diversion was like the peak cheap parts bin bike, but you're telling me it had 18" rims? Weird

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Great thread; voted 55555.5

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Renaissance Robot posted:

Wait seriously!? I thought the diversion was like the peak cheap parts bin bike, but you're telling me it had 18" rims? Weird

It's a pretty good bike for what it is. I really liked mine, just got more interested in dual sport. They're heavy and tame for a 600 I4, but you can squeeze some fun out of them. There were some weird design choices, like downdraft carbs, the 18" wheels, and lovely suspension that was a lot of work to improve, yet progressive fork springs. They had a vacuum petcock that was a weak design and prone to failure. That would lead to the carbs filling, overflowing into the engine, and if it didn't leak out somewhere, you'd grenade the starter because the cylinders were full of fuel. The engine was otherwise pretty bombproof though.

They're getting more expensive to own though because so few of the parts are interchangeable with other Yamaha models, and as we get further away from the 90s, more of them are wrecked and used but not hosed up parts are getting rare. And it's a pretty unexciting machine, so who wants to dump a bunch of money into keeping one alive?
That was the other reason I got rid of mine, I'd probably paid for it twice over just through rebuilding, tweaking, and upgrading.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 5, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's spring and I miss my bike :'(

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

From the PYF GIF thread:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scoring a goal necessitates nearly ramming the crowd, my new favorite sport!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m the goalie who has to constantly play chicken with motorcycles

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m the goalie who has to constantly play chicken with motorcycles

I was done playing goalie for our indoor soccer team after I was kicked, full force, in the stomach. This guy is insane.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What's the deal with the Yamaha V-Max?

Really, what's its deal? I love the design, and I understand they're kind of torque monsters? What is the rationale behind this bike, why does it exist? Are they practical in any way or is it just a stupid fun bike? Was there an unfilled niche for 'power cruiser' that Yamaha decided to try out, or were their designers just havin' funsies?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Really, what's its deal? I love the design, and I understand they're kind of torque monsters? What is the rationale behind this bike, why does it exist? Are they practical in any way or is it just a stupid fun bike? Was there an unfilled niche for 'power cruiser' that Yamaha decided to try out, or were their designers just havin' funsies?

They were the next big thing in the early 1980s. Honda came out with a V4 engine and put it in a standard, the Sabre, a sport, the Interceptor and a cruiser, the Magna.

Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha came out with similar cruiser based bikes, the V Max was probably the best. Just burly muscle cruisers basically, upright or cruiser foot and hand controls with sportbike engines.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I've never ridden either but the Vmax definitely strikes me as the Japanese version of a Rocket III

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Muscle bikes were the a thing back in the day and the vmax was so good at it, it stuck around for like 20 years. The modern equivalent would be something like a Diavel. It's party trick is called v-boost where normally each of the 4 cylinders had its own carb, but above 6k a butterfly opened so that each cylinder could inhale gas from 2 carbs and, well you know when the millennium falcon goes in to light speed? Basically that's what happens. Also, like the millennium falcon, the chassis is kinda made of ropes and rebar and there is the distinct impression that this bike really should not be able or even feels very safe going the kind of fast it is capable of.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The first time I rode an old vmax I thought it had a badly slipping clutch until I noticed the smoke pouring off the back tyre in the mirror.

The first time I turned into a fast corner on one I broke the record for converting to religion.

The vmax came out in the eighties and it was only deposed as the fastest accelerating production vehicle by the Bugatti veyron. Also a great demonstration that horsepower and straight line speed are largely solved problems and have been for an extremely long time.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
talking about muscle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9KIxKP0Wlw

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

Muscle bikes were the a thing back in the day and the vmax was so good at it, it stuck around for like 20 years. The modern equivalent would be something like a Diavel. It's party trick is called v-boost where normally each of the 4 cylinders had its own carb, but above 6k a butterfly opened so that each cylinder could inhale gas from 2 carbs and, well you know when the millennium falcon goes in to light speed? Basically that's what happens. Also, like the millennium falcon, the chassis is kinda made of ropes and rebar and there is the distinct impression that this bike really should not be able or even feels very safe going the kind of fast it is capable of.

I read a review of it that described the riding experience as "GOOOOOOOOOOOO! Okay brake, brake, brake, BRAKE, BRAKE, turn, please turn, pretty pretty please turn.... GOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

Isn’t vboost the butterflies opening in that big snorkel intake? Each cylinder getting two carbs of fuel would mean it needs to have 8 carbs?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Isn’t vboost the butterflies opening in that big snorkel intake? Each cylinder getting two carbs of fuel would mean it needs to have 8 carbs?

I don't understand the details of it, but above 6k rpm, each cylinder is drinking all the fuel 2 carbs can supply it, instead of one. Presumably the cams have some insane lift at that point and maybe there's some jetting magic going on too, I dunno.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lots of 4-cylinder engines get along fine (well, ish) on a single or dual carb. I don't remember the exact details of how v-boost worked but there's no reason you need 8 carbs to have two feeding a single cylinder on a 4-cylinder engine.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 8, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wikipedia's entry on it is useless (no, really?) but it has jogged a memory - this is all half-remembered from magazines 3 decades ago so could be entirely wrong though. Anyway I *think* the way the system worked was that the bike had a dual-carb setup (or possibly two dual carbs), one feeding the front bank, one the back, and the tracts downstream of them ran side-by-side, linked by a pipe normally blocked by a valve.

At low revs the link pipe was closed, giving better torque and fuel economy, in the same way a smaller carb normally would, but at higher revs it opened, doubling the amount of fuel-air each cylinder could draw in, as if you'd just dropped a much larger carb in. It's been a very, very long time since I've done any kind of carb tuning and what I *did* do was on old aircooled VWs so this bit of the explanation could be 100% wrong though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's never going to "double the amount of fuel and air" because that is limited by the cylinder's displacement, and a few other small effects like charge inertia. You can put a carburetor sized for a Corvette on a motorcycle and it won't give you any more power than one that's the proper size. (less in fact)

The flip side of every BOOST technology is that it can also be used in reverse to choke the engine down for lower fuel consumption. I bet it's just that the carbs are ever so slightly undersized for lower fuel consumption when puttering down to the bar and better stability at idle, and when the V-BOOST comes in it lets the engine breathe more like it needs to at the higher RPM. The Wikipedia page says that it's only a 10% increase in power anyway.

e: yep here it is from VMAXFORUMS. Both of us are right :hfive:

quote:

One of the many factors that affects the power that a motor can make is how well the fuel is atomized into the incoming air.
The higher the air speed the better the atomization, the smaller the fuel droplets, the better they burn, more power is made.

BUT...as in most things in life, the size of the carburettor venturi is a compromise.
If you want good power at low revs then you need a small venturi which will keep the air speed high. The downside of this is that at higher revs it can't flow enough air to satisfy the motor thus power will drop off.
So, you make the venturi larger so you can make power at the upper end of the rev range...but it will be too large at low revs so power will suffer.

Yameringha use carbs that are too small for maximum revs but overcame the limitation by letting a cylinder draw the air / fuel mix at higher revs from another carb once the V Boost butteflies start to open.

Manufacturers have used devices such as the power valve on two strokes and EXUP valve on a four stroke, and variable length inlets to perform a similar trick of spreading the power further over the rev range.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 8, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyfOyNksKKc

A quick video showing the vboost intake manifold setup. From context, carbs must go on the tops of those intake ports.

E: ok, yeah, I think that makes sense about the carb sizing

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 8, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fwiw the non-boost model has noticeably less power. You can get it back by jetting etc but then you're left with a bit less down low than a boost model. It's probably the earliest torque-widening technology I'm aware of cause I think it predates exup?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Green Berets testing new toys.

https://soldiersystems.net/2022/04/07/10th-sfga-tests-timbersled/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/VWJ44hv.mp4

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

It took me until he came back around to realize that he had a clutch lever on the left bar and I was sitting in my chair wide-eyed, jaw agape.

I mean I still am, because that’s hilarious, but now I get how it works.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thaaaat's where that manifold screw went

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I don't think it folded any but it definitely bounced a lot of times.

I've never looked at a motorcycle head IRL but two valves and that giant lip of metal where the combustion chamber should be suggests to me it must be a Harley motor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

I don't think it folded any but it definitely bounced a lot of times.

I've never looked at a motorcycle head IRL but two valves and that giant lip of metal where the combustion chamber should be suggests to me it must be a Harley motor.

Ding

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Would the engine still run with that sort of damage to the piston? For how long?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The owner reported the problem as 'tried to start, engine cranked but kicked the starter back, tried again and it cranked then went chunk and wouldn't move', the engine couldn't do a full revolution because the bolt stopped the piston. He is very, very lucky because this means he's probably not got a bent rod but we'll see. The valve took a hit and is hosed, I expect that's why it didn't start and thus we never got to see what happens if it ran. The guy just bought the thing too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Or RATTLE and CLUNK in this case, presumably.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Free one-half bolts worth of extra displacement in that cylinder, IMO

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Imperador do Brasil posted:

It took me until he came back around to realize that he had a clutch lever on the left bar and I was sitting in my chair wide-eyed, jaw agape.

I mean I still am, because that’s hilarious, but now I get how it works.

Wait, how is he syncing the throttles and clutches on both bikes?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

T Zero posted:

Wait, how is he syncing the throttles and clutches on both bikes?

It looks like a linkage between the bikes as well

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
It’s true neither Trump nor Biden give a gently caress about our carburetors.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
its drive by wire

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

cursedshitbox posted:

its drive by wire

Booooo hissssss

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

FBS posted:

The compounded indignity of losing one's motor to an imperial fastener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I made a whitworth fastener joke over the weekend to a mechanical engineer and he didnt get it and now I dont know what to believe