Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he likes broad ethnic stereotypes who dance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
If sexual assault allegations did anything Britain wouldn't even have wrestlers at this point. NXTUK at least would be gone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Being accused of sexual assault will just make Vince feel like he has a lot in common with a person.

Enzo pissed off the locker room and a lot of other people so when they had an excuse to get rid of him they did. I think in the end it was reported he had told them everything they needed to know, they just wanted him gone.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

What in the world

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
nZo was on one of the Collective shows this past weekend and he literally cut the exact same promo verbatim that he has been doing for 10 years. Beyond being a lovely dude and a bad wrestler, he has actively decided to offer nothing new either.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

poemdexter posted:

I don't really know the difference between Vince the character versus Vince the owner besides what I am told

There is basically no difference. Vince is exactly as insane and evil as he portrays himself on TV.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

poemdexter posted:

This surprises me, but I don't really know the difference between Vince the character versus Vince the owner besides what I am told. The whole wrestling world is still very new to me and all the info I get is from fiancee who is more than willing to look the other way wrt people doing bad things as long as she likes the person/brand.

You'd probably enjoy reading this thread then

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991949

Oh wait I see you posted in there. Go back and read the effortposts

kertap
Mar 13, 2010
On AEW does Excalibur only call it a superkick if one of the elite do it, otherwise it’s a thrust kick? Or are they different moves?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea, also apparently injury prone as well due to, if Simon Grimm/Gotch is to be believed

i hate you for giving me youtube thumbnail ptsd

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

kertap posted:

On AEW does Excalibur only call it a superkick if one of the elite do it, otherwise it’s a thrust kick? Or are they different moves?

AFAIK a thrust kick is slightly different. The HBK-esque side kick to the face is a superkick, a thrust kick is usually aimed lower, either to the torso to a standing opponent or the face of a seated opponent.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

As was making the One Man Gang "Akeem"

Not only was Akeem an extremely racist gimmick (which admittedly did give us the delight of seeing Big E dress as him for Halloween and also OMG having a dance-off with Larry Sweeny to 'Jive Soul Bro'*, RIP Sweet 'n Sour) it broke up what was a very coherent unit in theme. You had the pimp, the outlaw biker and the corrupt prison guard. Wrong place, wrong time.

*Also a super racist video, opening up on Slick with the Doctor of Style eating fried chicken.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Something that strikes me about AEW's Abadon (for those unfamiliar with her, here's a 4 minute match that pretty well showcases her gimmick), is that her gimmick is kinda self-limiting in an odd way. Pretty much the only way to book her is to be extremely dominant, because it feeds into her character. What this means is that she tends to get a lot of wins, but these are typically jobber squashes or wins against lower/midcarders. Now don't get me wrong: her coming out and some local jobber freaking out and doing a Fay Wray scream before being savaged, or a midcarder doing the whole "I... I'm not afraid of you!" shtick is entertaining and there's a definite place for it, but it seems to me that it would tend to be self-limiting. I can't really see her having a long feud at the top/for the title (outside of some obligatory token runs like last Halloween, which admittedly did lead up to Mark Henry's hilarious reaction to her 'response' to his question here) without her radically changing her character, because as much as she's over for what she does, I'm not sure that her growling into a mic or having matches in the style that her character demands is going to sustain a program that draws long-term. (Feel free to rebut me on this.)

With all of that out of the way: what other examples of wrestlers are there where their gimmick kinda inherently limits how far they can regularly go up the card? Not because their gimmick is "I'm a loser fuckface who sucks", but genuinely well-received gimmicks for popular (even dominant!) wrestlers who are nonetheless limited in their scope.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

If Undertaker and Bray Wyatt can do more than squash people, then there's space for Abadon to do the same. It helps that they've been getting into much better shape and can do more/is more agile in the ring.

To answer your question, guys like Abdullah the Butcher and the Sheik couldn't stick around territories very long because their heat and drawing power depended on them cutting people up and not losing.

CombineThresher fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 6, 2022

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think that's what The Undertaker's problem was for a long time. Him being a scary monster who no-sold everything and beat everyone, including Hulk Hogan at one point, made him popular so they turned him face, but as a result he was stuck in an endless cycle of of "monster of the week" feuds from 1992 to 1996. These included: Jake Roberts, Kamala, Giant Gonzalez, Mr Hughes, Yokozuna, The Underfaker, King Kong Bundy, Kama, Mabel and Diesel, and even then I'm probably missing a few.

It took them treating Mankind as a slightly bigger deal to get him out of it, before they actually started booking him with main eventers again. So I think you can go places with gimmicks like that, it might just take a while (I've never seen an Abadon match).

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Breetai posted:

With all of that out of the way: what other examples of wrestlers are there where their gimmick kinda inherently limits how far they can regularly go up the card? Not because their gimmick is "I'm a loser fuckface who sucks", but genuinely well-received gimmicks for popular (even dominant!) wrestlers who are nonetheless limited in their scope.

The Hurricane, for sure.

I think I'd also maybe argue Al Snow, for a little while there.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Abadon is the best and I want to be her friend

Her recent matches do show quite a notable progression in her character, though. I want to say it was just last week on Dark or Elevation that she did like an "I own you" hand gesture that is thematically miles away from being a literal zombie but it also totally worked.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I love Abadon and I have a whole headcanon storyline for developing her gimmick and getting her more interactions with other wrestlers. It involves Jade Cargill, Mark Sterling, and Danhausen.

e. and Silver and Reynolds, at least for part.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Abadon was one of the first names that came up when Tommy End was talking about forming House of Black, so we may see Malakai attempt to give them a little more focus.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

DeathChicken posted:

Best thing Virgil ever did was that time Yokozuna squashed him and he cut a promo that sounded like he was trying to warn everyone Doomsday was approaching Metropolis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXYljgNOJp4

You weren't exaggerating, huh. :allears:

Defenestrategy posted:

I just readily admitted to watching "Zicky Dices Outlandish Paradise", how is it surprising that I'd watch a random shoot interview recommended to me through youtube analytics?

That was a great show though. :colbert:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
abadon goes by they/them, for people who weren't aware

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well poo poo now I will never be Abadon's friend after that botch :smith:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Breetai posted:

Something that strikes me about [Kane/Miro/Lance Archer/Undertaker/Brian Cage/Brodie Lee/Yokozuna/Vader/Mark Henry/Big Show/Bork Lazer/Goldberg] is that their gimmick is kinda self-limiting in an odd way. Pretty much the only way to book them is to be extremely dominant, because it feeds into their character. What this means is that they tend to get a lot of wins, but these are typically jobber squashes or wins against lower/midcarders. Now don't get me wrong: them coming out and some local jobber freaking out and doing a Fay Wray scream before being savaged, or a midcarder doing the whole "I... I'm not afraid of you!" shtick is entertaining and there's a definite place for it, but it seems to me that it would tend to be self-limiting. I can't really see them having a long feud at the top/for the title (outside of some obligatory token runs

I mean yes, that is the traditional problem with booking monster heels. You have to feed them jobbers and give them big wins every now and again so eventually someone runs along beats them up and in return looks really cool and strong. My worry with Abadon is that AEW for reasons unknown haven't given Abadon any sort of win to hang their hat on and instead has felt the need to just feed them to Brit and Shida.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 6, 2022

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean yes, that is the traditional problem with booking monster heels. You have to feed them jobbers and give them big wins every now and again so eventually someone runs along beats them up and in return looks really cool and strong. My worry with Abadon is that AEW for reasons unknown haven't given Abadon any sort of win to hang their hat on and instead has felt the need to just feed them to Brit and Shida.

The main issue as I see it isn't that Abadon's a monster heel, it's the whole "is/thinks/pretends they're a zombie and communicates only in grunts and roars" thing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
abadon is big and scary and sometimes people can push through and beat them if they get themselves together enough. i felt that their program with shida worked well, with her acting legit frightened in the leadup to her match with them + abadon getting some good offense in

i'm hoping they show up in the tournament and get some good action in

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Not limited in the sense that monster heels are, but I think Toru Yano would be higher up the card if he didn't play a comedy gimmick. Dude has the best body slam in NJPW and was a legit amateur wrestler. I think Taguchi is real good too (he had great feuds with Devitt and KUSHIDA) but his current goofy self puts his ceiling at IWGP Jr. Tag champion.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In the Britt match the story was that Britt couldn't beat up abadon but she could out wrestle them for a three count, especially with the help of some distraction.

The bag shoulda had teeth in it though not thumbtacks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lily Catts posted:

Not limited in the sense that monster heels are, but I think Toru Yano would be higher up the card if he didn't play a comedy gimmick. Dude has the best body slam in NJPW and was a legit amateur wrestler. I think Taguchi is real good too (he had great feuds with Devitt and KUSHIDA) but his current goofy self puts his ceiling at IWGP Jr. Tag champion.

Taguchi's probably in the right spot, but has for like the last 6 or 7 years been able to turn it on when he needs to be credible as a main eventer during BOSJ or when he's challenging for the junior title. Yano's one of those guys who may be the smartest wrestler in the company because he can literally do this act until he's like 80 and not have to change anything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel like there are a lot of guys over the years who could only work if booked as a monster heel, or as an undercard comedy guy. Then historically you have attraction wrestlers who could be at the top of the card, but not in one place for very long.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The entire point of monster heels is to get fed to the babyface ace. That was their role historically, and it worked a lot better in the old days when they could move from territory to territory and didn't just work in the same place for 10+ years.

Also Abadon is loving terrible and that's why they don't get pushed, sorry to break the news guys.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
gosh and here i thought i enjoyed watching them perform every time I've seen them. thanks for setting me straight!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

abadon still looks sloppy in their 1 minute matches that contain 45 seconds of the same sequence, and they haven't been wrestling very long. a push isn't necessary; it's just i don't think it's a good idea for their development as a wrestler to continue having that type of match and nothing else

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I like Abbadons act. It's fun and different

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m not sure we’re going to see the equivalent of Big Show and Kane pulling out chain wrestling on the kaiju scale anytime soon from Abadon, because that would absolutely run counter to their style and vibe, but more training and practice will only lead to improvement too. We’ll see. Could also have had an injury recently too?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cavauro posted:

abadon still looks sloppy in their 1 minute matches that contain 45 seconds of the same sequence, and they haven't been wrestling very long. a push isn't necessary; it's just i don't think it's a good idea for their development as a wrestler to continue having that type of match and nothing else

Yup. They've kinda got themselves in a corner too, because their character demands a very simplistic wild, brawling style.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What ever happened to the goon who was a wrestler in training? Think his name was Nick Lovett (?)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Manwithastick posted:

What ever happened to the goon who was a wrestler in training? Think his name was Nick Lovett (?)

nick lovin is a well traveled regular in the southwest indy scene, even appeared on GCW a couple years ago

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he was pushing a specific indy in san diego a couple years back. before covid. he would call me up and we'd talk about that guy who said fliers are not good and we made fun of him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

NienNunb posted:

What in the world

Is this in regards to "Vince feeling like he has something in common with sexual assault allegations?"

There are two that I know of:

Some lady who worked at a tanning salon in the mid-2000s, IIRC. I want to say around 2006, or thereabouts.

The other is Rita Chatterton, who worked as a referee for the WWF in the 1980s, who accused Vince McMahon of rape.

Then there's the poo poo with Ashley Massaro and her affidavit that came out after she passed away that made for some harrowing reading.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my husband really loves Colin Delaney. as i understand it, Colin Delaney isn't WWE champion because he caught vince mcmahon taking a weak pathetic dump and vince mcmahon destroyed his career and life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

This is one of Abadon's most recent entrances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3xleVwRRSY&t=1764s

I think they'll be fine.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 6, 2022