Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
cark made it to jeopardy lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is Zooey Deschanel playing tonight under a pseudonym? I mean her name is Nell ffs.

Edit: oh ffs she took herself out of a runway by trying to answer literally the last question on the board. Let’s see if this is a choke job...

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 2, 2022

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is Zooey Deschanel playing tonight under a pseudonym? I mean her name is Nell ffs.

Edit: oh ffs she took herself out of a runway by trying to answer literally the last question on the board. Let’s see if this is a choke job...

She had exactly twice his score at that point so it wasn't that crazy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I can't deal with this woman hosting anymore. The gargantuan pauses for very simple, correct answers....wtf was the deal with yttrium?

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015
Really surprised they allowed "safar-Arizona". The whole state portmanteau category flowed pretty badly, but that should still have been thrown out as a wrong answer for adding the extra syllable.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think its mandatory for any woman who looks even the slightest bit like her to go all the way with that hair style.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Classy Devil posted:

Really surprised they allowed "safar-Arizona". The whole state portmanteau category flowed pretty badly, but that should still have been thrown out as a wrong answer for adding the extra syllable.

This was the stupidest loving clue because those two words are not pronounced the same way at all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is that Jeopardy lingo?

“Same 6” to go fast?

Poor Yian - was so into pressing that button. But they are a rich anesthesiologist in California lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

wa27 posted:

She had exactly twice his score at that point so it wasn't that crazy.

Oh for some reason I thought she was up double + $200

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh for some reason I thought she was up double + $200

No, she was exactly even with him. She should have bet another $401 on that Daily Double to make it a guaranteed runaway.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I can't deal with this woman hosting anymore. The gargantuan pauses for very simple, correct answers....wtf was the deal with yttrium?

It feels like she's getting worse not better.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Just wait until she gets the job full time.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's just amazing to me when you think back to all of the criticism hurled at Ken after his first week. He wasn't even close to this bad and has fallen into a really comfortable rhythm.

Duckman2008 posted:

Just wait until she gets the job full time.

I'm not going to lie, this is literally the biggest factor in not having taken the test again yet. I know I only get one chance at this and I don't want it tainted so I'm waiting out their final decision to make mine.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Fwiw you can also back out during the process. In 2020, I passed the test, passed the Zoom test, and made it through a round of interviews. At that point my entire family got covid and I could barely cope with taking care of them, so when they invited me for the final round of interviews, I just told them I couldn't and that was that. They invited me the next time they did the final round, a few months later, but I was still slammed. They were super understanding and I'm sure I'm not blacklisted or anything.

Obviously you can't be like "actually nah thanks" the day of, if you get there and see her. But if you're in the process when they announce it's her forever, you can just drop out then.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Here at the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament, and just saw a guy in an ACPT Staff shirt who looked so familiar but I couldn't figure from where. Eventually realized it's Raymond, the second place finisher from the college Jeopardy tournament.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
this game is a disaster

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mayim seems especially annoying tonight between the interjections between every single correct answer in the "music decade" category and the awkward pregnant pauses.

Mandy Patinkin was good, though!

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I thought he was dead

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

HookShot posted:

There was a time not all that long ago when a fuckup of this proportion would have led to the contestant being brought back on a future date, but now it’s just par for the course.
I know this is a couple days old, but just catching up on the thread. I remember watching this and thinking it was odd, but IIRC he changes his answer to 'hare' right before she says incorrect. It's possible she was about to say 'be more specific' before he blurted out a blatantly wrong answer, the (March) Hare being a totally different Wonderland character.

Edit: Just rewatched it. Mayim breathes in as she's about to say something to 'rabbit', and then he says 'A hare', and then she says incorrect.

Orzo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 5, 2022

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Mayim: "Sorry Nell, please remember your phrasing."
*9 seconds later"
Mayim: "Wharf and Scarf"

The Mighty Moltres fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 6, 2022

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Somewhere in the great beyond, Milton Bradley (the actual creator of Final) just went Who's this Rube?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man I talked myself out of Monaco for Final. That was my first guess but then I wondered if the Swiss mention was a breadcrumb for the Swiss Guard and switched my answer to the Vatican -- in hindsight 38,000 is waaaaay to many people though

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

I wondered if the Swiss mention was a breadcrumb for the Swiss Guard and switched my answer to the Vatican -- in hindsight 38,000 is waaaaay to many people though

Same. I thought well maybe they just have a lot hiding away in the catacombs

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
So what's the line between "correcting yourself before time is up" and "just saying various words until maybe you hit the correct answer"?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah Ken would have ruled that incorrect as soon as the contestant finished saying the answer and stood there waiting. Or at least prompted to be more specific or something other than just standing there silently doing nothing.

The problem is she also takes 17 seconds to read the thing on the sheet in front of her loving face and say a response was correct, so I don't blame the contestant for thinking they were right and just waiting for the delayed "correct" at first.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

1glitch0 posted:

So what's the line between "correcting yourself before time is up" and "just saying various words until maybe you hit the correct answer"?

Historically, if you give half a wrong answer and quickly switch to giving the right answer, and do it before the host verbally rejects it, you can get credit. I think it's pretty unlikely that you'd have to time to give a wrong answer, finish speaking, reconsider, and start speaking again to give a right answer before either the time buzzer or the "incorrect", if the host lets this happen they made a mistake

If you and the host talk over each other the judges sort it out later

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
That computer and internet category was dumb as hell.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Look, I get not knowing about the Doolittle Raid, but if the clue is asking for an Axis capital and your competitors have already eliminated Berlin and Rome, how on earth do you not slam that buzzer for Tokyo :psyduck:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

haveblue posted:

Historically, if you give half a wrong answer and quickly switch to giving the right answer, and do it before the host verbally rejects it, you can get credit. I think it's pretty unlikely that you'd have to time to give a wrong answer, finish speaking, reconsider, and start speaking again to give a right answer before either the time buzzer or the "incorrect", if the host lets this happen they made a mistake

If you and the host talk over each other the judges sort it out later

This is true, but historically J! hosts didn't take multiple seconds to decide whether your answer matched what was on the paper, which Bialik does with plenty of clues every game.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

what is bob?

yes, to to bob for apples

thanks mayim!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

what is bob?

thanks mayim!

She’s extra annoying about this tonight.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I dislike Mayim as host.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m mad about the poop clue because it’s called the poop deck you fuckers

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

what is bob?

thanks mayim!

Her adding the city name to the sports team for every goddamn answer in that "correcting" tone of hers was driving me up the loving wall.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

1glitch0 posted:

Her adding the city name to the sports team for every goddamn answer in that "correcting" tone of hers was driving me up the loving wall.

Same with having to add the first name to every single response that is just a last name.

I think it's the tone that gets me knowing that she knows none of these things. There was one clue earlier this week where she was condescendingly reading out the correct response, which was two words, where she very obviously had to look back down between those two words because she forgot the second of two loving words in the half second it took to say the first one.

Don't even get me started on her reading extra info off of the card after FJ.

I truly don't even understand why she wants this gig. She gets an insane amount of money off her lovely sitcom. It's not like she's watched the show religiously her entire life and this was a dream of hers, she admitted she rarely watched it before getting the guest hosting invite.

The whole thing feels like the affectation she'd put on if her character in a show had to badly (on purpose) imitate a game show host for laughs.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"This shape of galaxy blah blah blah"
"What is spiral?"
"..........Yes, spiral galaxy"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Same with having to add the first name to every single response that is just a last name.

I think it's the tone that gets me knowing that she knows none of these things. There was one clue earlier this week where she was condescendingly reading out the correct response, which was two words, where she very obviously had to look back down between those two words because she forgot the second of two loving words in the half second it took to say the first one.

Don't even get me started on her reading extra info off of the card after FJ.

I truly don't even understand why she wants this gig. She gets an insane amount of money off her lovely sitcom. It's not like she's watched the show religiously her entire life and this was a dream of hers, she admitted she rarely watched it before getting the guest hosting invite.

The whole thing feels like the affectation she'd put on if her character in a show had to badly (on purpose) imitate a game show host for laughs.

Same reason Drew Carey is host of the price is right ? Super prestigious , I assume it pays gang busters and huge job security.

I was gonna say also it’s not a hard job, but apparently the jury is out on that one.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Cyril Sneer posted:

That computer and internet category was dumb as hell.

The Chrome clue was the only one reasonably well written out of the whole category. That was bad.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

mearn posted:

The Chrome clue was the only one reasonably well written out of the whole category. That was bad.

The Firewall question made me squint for a second because it was so amazingly poorly worded.

Also shocked that no one got Final Jeopardy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

My idea of why is that she really enjoys the attention and also that it (superficially) makes her look smart, which goes along with her brand that she's cultivated including Big Bang, getting a neuropsych PhD (which Mayim brings up often without provocation), and hocking brain pills. Relatedly, I can't find the study but in undergrad I read about a psych study where the result was "people view the host of a quiz show as very smart because they know all of the answers (especially when contestants don't) and they ignore the fact that the host isn't competing and has the answers in front of them."

As for Mayim doing a bad job, I don't think she realizes it. I'm curious how the "stop saying ''single jeopardy'" conversation went down because I can only assume someone told her to officially stop doing that.