Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
2nd episode in and I wonder why the future always has to suck in sci-fi shows recently. Some of these peoples lives look worse than a medieval peasants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

His Divine Shadow posted:

2nd episode in and I wonder why the future always has to suck in sci-fi shows recently. Some of these peoples lives look worse than a medieval peasants.

Fiction often portrays a future based on the current reality. When things look to be improving the future is depicted as utopian and the people well meaning. When things seem to be getting worse the future is depicted as *gestures to all current science fiction*

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Halo's always been pretty dystopian it just gets glossed over because you have to shoot the aliens who are trying to exterminate you

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MiddleOne posted:

Of course both Dredd (2011) and The Mandalorian show that this train of thought is idiotic

Not even that recent a thing either. Darth Vader is almost universally agreed to be the greatest movie villain and you never saw his face. James Earl Jones did all of the work with his voice, 45 years ago.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
also ill never not be entertained by natascha mcelhone's cheekbones

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sash! posted:

Not even that recent a thing either. Darth Vader is almost universally agreed to be the greatest movie villain and you never saw his face. James Earl Jones did all of the work with his voice, 45 years ago.

That specific example is one of the most notorious ever for why actors are uncomfortable agreeing to masked roles. It turns what could be career-defining roles into footnotes on wikipedia.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Sash! posted:

You realize he wasn't the guy under the helmet, right?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Polaron posted:

You realize he wasn't the guy under the helmet, right?

what a dick lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So far the show feels like Halo 4 - glimpses of what you want it to be then they're shoving it into what 343 wanted it to be, then backporting it to Halo 1. I don't hate it but the UNSC stuff seems much dumber than usual for modern Halo

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MiddleOne posted:

That specific example is one of the most notorious ever for why actors are uncomfortable agreeing to masked roles. It turns what could be career-defining roles into footnotes on wikipedia.

David Prowse was a fellow who played Frankenstein monsters and strongmen. He was already a footnote.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It's such an odd series. We're only two episodes in but it feels like they've taken a fairly interesting set of characters and decided to present them in a more bland, less interesting and arguably more nonsensical way. It's a series that is both aware of what the audience knows and wisely skips past it (Halo being a weapon) but also makes it clear that pre-existing knowledge doesn't count for much (virtually everything to do with John, Cortana and the SPARTAN program.)

For example, what we see so far from John and Soren is that the SPARTANs are, according to Soren, basically brainwashed by the UNSC and have their emotions suppressed due to some kind of implant and possibly regular "treatments." John in that sense is something of an unwilling prisoner of the UNSC. His humanity has been stolen from him and he's somewhat aware of it and not happy about it. His memories of his parents are coming back. In extreme situations, he lashes out with strong emotional displays, like we see with the prisoner. Halsey's ultimate goal is the Cortana Project which will, according to her, basically override the consciousness of the SPARTANs and turn them into robots.

Thing is, that's just less interesting and less horrifying than the 'primary' lore. John was abducted by the UNSC and taken to Reach and turned into a super soldier. But in this version, the SPARTAN 'candidates' are all very aware of what's happening. Halsey argues that lying to the children will only backfire (which includes selective amnesia!) So, they're told, frequently, that they'll be made into the best soldiers ever. They get so thoroughly indoctrinated with propaganda, past and present, that it isn't that John doesn't know he has parents -- it's that he knows and he no longer cares. They didn't steal John's humanity so much as stripped it from him and made him think he gave it up and left him thinking it was the right thing to do. It isn't that John's psyche is suppressed by physiological implants (indeed, messing with the minds of the SPARTAN candidates was seen as too dangerous), it's that he's just been tricked into thinking he isn't really human. I think one of the best things about Halo is this idea of John as a tragic character. When I think John-117, I don't think emotionless prisoner, but closer to that line from Watchman: "His subtle facial twitches wouldn't be noticed by the layman, but to me, he might as well have been sobbing."

Halo 4 demonstrated a pretty interesting story about John reclaiming his humanity, or part of it. Halo 4 also seemed to be leading to a story where John would act against the UNSC before Halo 5 crashed the plane (with no survivors) and Infinite was left to try and put it back together. So, it's not that Halo itself can't do this. It's just that what we appear to be getting is much more simple when the tapestry is fairly complex. And maybe that makes sense -- it'd be hard to have a TV series where John is as robotic as he sometimes is in the primary lore. But the times where he is really awkward and stilted in these first two episodes are some of the best bits! Just like it'd be hard to have a TV series where we see the UNSC turn a child into a soldier and have it sort of skip past the fact that the UNSC's issue with the SPARTANs isn't that they're walking crimes against humanity but that it's cheaper to buy a corvette or whatever.

Similarly, it's not that Halo hasn't presented alternate canon takes before, either -- Halo: Reach overrode the beloved Fall of Reach novel. But that was similar to my initial point in how it was somehow less interesting and more nonsensical so the writers could tell a 'new' story.

I feel like how they depict John and Cortana will be what makes or breaks the series. It's a defining element of the franchise with some well-executed pathos in the various games and novels. The idea of the human who doesn't think he is and the AI who guides him, that sense of them being protectors for each other and of each other, of being war buddies, of the weird intimacy where Cortana is this weird mother/daughter/lover figure. The guilt Cortana bears for picking John in the first place. It's a very rich, interesting relationship and I feel like 'she was made to control you but decided to help you' or whatever it feels like they might be going with just feels... well, flat. Especially when she's seemingly human now, probably so John and Cortana can have a mutual 'wow, they took our humanity from us' moment.

I'm trying not to be too cynical but I feel like they could've gone much further with their idea of a 'Silver' continuity that is its own thing or whatever while telling a story that felt closer to the spirit of the lore. Just have John start with Cortana instead of doing this slow, dumb build up. Give us a first season where John is just murdering rebels and we can get a feel for the authoritarian nature of the UNSC. Give us a better idea of, well, everything if we're not going to trade on pre-existing lore and concepts.

And then there's the little things. It feels like the UNSC isn't engaged in an existential war against the Covenant. Like, maybe they've had a few skirmishes but the Insurrectionists on Madrigal seemed to believe they were basically UNSC propaganda. We see in the first episode that the SPARTANs are using these huge gantries to put their armor on, and then John seems to shuck his armor between shots in episode two. And I feel like the idea of SPARTANs removing their armor simply is even more of an issue in this take on the universe than the original given that this take basically says that the armor is a way to monitor and control them, up to and including remotely cutting off their oxygen.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 4, 2022

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I only played the first game and have nothing invested in the Halo lore, but it's exactly these kinds of thoughtless changes that make bad adaptations less than their source material. It's like the fruit of the poisonous tree.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For the record Spartans can take off their armour in the main timeline in order to do field repairs. It just typically needs a second Spartan to help them do it. Grey Team from the book The Cole Protocol operate behind enemy lines for a long time so they needed to be able to fix their armour in low tech environments. Cole Protocol is also the book where The Rubble first showed up and it was neat because a bunch of non Covenant affiliated Jackals cooperated with the humans to set up the asteroids as an interspecies smuggling hub.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I only played the first game and have nothing invested in the Halo lore, but it's exactly these kinds of thoughtless changes that make bad adaptations less than their source material. It's like the fruit of the poisonous tree.

It's strange because it feels like we're getting a version of the events that lead to the first game, just with the flavor of 'What if Halsey was more evil about it?' The Fall of Reach prologue novel contains broadly: a mystic space rock that points the way to Halo, John and Cortana meeting and pairing up, and a huge battle at Reach that drives Keyes and his ship to Halo. I might be speculating too much but I feel like that's somewhat the broad strokes of what we'll be getting, albeit with some additional drama with the Insurrectionists and Makee.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I laughed when the Prophet got naked. Prestige nudity in our Halos lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RBA Starblade posted:

I laughed when the Prophet got naked. Prestige nudity in our Halos lmao

Should have had her little Covenant buddy/dad next to her stripping down too all,"So.... humans get undressed like this?" and looking like this:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

We better see Chief hang dong

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

We better see Chief hang dong

Every episode will have him remove even more of his armor until 2-3 episodes from now he’s completely naked during a Covenant ambush

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Sash! posted:

David Prowse was a fellow who played Frankenstein monsters and strongmen. He was already a footnote.

Every actor's a footnote until they hit that one big role.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I watched the first episode last night and I have to say it was a real missed opportunity to not have Grunts be the aliens we first see show up, especially if they still played up the terrifying nature of the plasma weapons.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Professor Beetus posted:

I watched the first episode last night and I have to say it was a real missed opportunity to not have Grunts be the aliens we first see show up, especially if they still played up the terrifying nature of the plasma weapons.

I kinda liked how the used just a huge teams of Elites to really show how savage and insanely hard they are for the average human to fight. We never got that playing as Master Chief in the game. I’m hoping the Grunts really are just like normal soldiers that marines can dispatch with relative ease but once that squad leader Elite shows up it’s like twenty marines need to handle it or the humans are just hosed if a Spartan isn’t there.

If it was Grunts attacking the outpost then there would, more than likely, been survivors after the attack and that’s not what the writers wanted from what we saw. Besides, Elites being the first covies we see and they absolutely decimate 100+ humans is pretty badass.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Bokeem Woodbine? And he doesn't betray the main character in a single episode?

Now this is a mystery!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grunts are scary to everyday marines. They're 5'6 250lb turtle monsters with armored limbs, plasma guns, grenades and a suicidal lack of self preservation instincts.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Isn't Halo on max difficulty supposed to be the "authentic" experience? A squad of Grunts being lead by an Elite will absolutely gently caress your poo poo up if you aren't on the ball, as I recall. And you're a SPARTAN, not a generic Marine.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Elites are on par with Spartans for physical size and strength and also have shields and the occasional ability to be invisible. So yeah they absolutely decimate humans in peer to peer combat.

In general though humans have an advantage in ground warfare against the Covenant because of having actual military tactics and combined arms warfare.

However, in space humanity gets wiped out every battle against Covenant ships unless there's better than 3:1 odds in humanity's favor. Once the Covenant own the skies, humans on the surface eventually lose the war of attrition or get glassed with orbital plasma bombardments.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The elites also go wort, wort, wort. This is psychologically devastating in combat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah humanity lost 23 billion lives to the Covenant by the time the war ended and the vast majority of those deaths were caused by glassing planets. Covenant don't go to ground unless they have to (usually hunting for Forerunner relics) and ground combat is where humans are in a more even footing.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Isn't Halo on max difficulty supposed to be the "authentic" experience? A squad of Grunts being lead by an Elite will absolutely gently caress your poo poo up if you aren't on the ball, as I recall. And you're a SPARTAN, not a generic Marine.

Heroic is the authentic experience and, I believe, the truest to how it would be in real life (lol).

Legendary is just for people who hate themselves like me trying it on Combat Evolved. :suicide:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

Grunts are scary to everyday marines. They're 5'6 250lb turtle monsters with armored limbs, plasma guns, grenades and a suicidal lack of self preservation instincts.

I keep forgetting they’re actually a some-what normal height compared to a regular human but they still go down after a few shots. So twenty of them wouldn’t take out that outpost like those Elites did, obviously, but there would definitely still be quite a few casualties. Especially considering those humans never encountered them before.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's this weird thing in halo where it's the 24th century but the guns haven't advanced much since 2010. The colonists are literally holding AKs that would be museum pieces in their time. Like a modern insurgent using a matchlock.

And yet the UNSC guns aren't much better.

The UNSC have coilguns powerful enough to disable a nearby aircraft just by dry firing, but they're still running around with 300 year old tech in their small arms.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 6, 2022

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There’s not much I can think of that would make ballistic guns much better. The assault rifle in the game has a 64 round magazine that is TINY and fits flush into the rifle which is god-tier. Just imagine an extended magazine on it. :vince: The AK today is a marvelous weapon and until we can create our own plasma or laser weapons that gun will probably be in service for the next few hundred years

I just don’t see much improvements or new ways to advance ballistic weapons even today past completely removing recoil or adding a crosshair directly into your eyeball. But I’m also not an inventor so I can’t say for certain.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Anita Dickinme posted:

I kinda liked how the used just a huge teams of Elites to really show how savage and insanely hard they are for the average human to fight. We never got that playing as Master Chief in the game. I’m hoping the Grunts really are just like normal soldiers that marines can dispatch with relative ease but once that squad leader Elite shows up it’s like twenty marines need to handle it or the humans are just hosed if a Spartan isn’t there.

If it was Grunts attacking the outpost then there would, more than likely, been survivors after the attack and that’s not what the writers wanted from what we saw. Besides, Elites being the first covies we see and they absolutely decimate 100+ humans is pretty badass.

I didn't mean the entire colony sequence, I just meant the little preview where Kwan's friends get murked by an Elite. Just imagine the psychological warfare aspect of some dopey wide lads making goofy noises running out of a cave but then they melt your friend's face with a plasma pistol or stick them with a plasma grenade.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Professor Beetus posted:

or stick them with a plasma grenade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Nu_ae5bpc&t=192s

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anita Dickinme posted:

There’s not much I can think of that would make ballistic guns much better. The assault rifle in the game has a 64 round magazine that is TINY and fits flush into the rifle which is god-tier. Just imagine an extended magazine on it. :vince: The AK today is a marvelous weapon and until we can create our own plasma or laser weapons that gun will probably be in service for the next few hundred years

I just don’t see much improvements or new ways to advance ballistic weapons even today past completely removing recoil or adding a crosshair directly into your eyeball. But I’m also not an inventor so I can’t say for certain.

And then they went and gave everything 5.56 brass in Halo 2, which they've never removed. The caseless ammo thing was ditched after the first game.

I would bet by 2100 that at least optics and a constant recoil system will be standard features on any military rifle, and rifles without them will be seen as old-fashioned at best. I can't see the future but these technologies exist in 2021 and they are popular with their users, and will probably become standard features over time.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The crazy dude in the jail cell should've been a Grunt, IMO.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The crazy dude in the jail cell should've been a Grunt, IMO.

A jackal, actually. Reth is another character adapted from The Cole Protocol where The Rubble first appeared and he was a Jackal smuggler.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

It's such an odd series. We're only two episodes in but it feels like they've taken a fairly interesting set of characters and decided to present them in a more bland, less interesting and arguably more nonsensical way. It's a series that is both aware of what the audience knows and wisely skips past it (Halo being a weapon) but also makes it clear that pre-existing knowledge doesn't count for much (virtually everything to do with John, Cortana and the SPARTAN program.)

For example, what we see so far from John and Soren is that the SPARTANs are, according to Soren, basically brainwashed by the UNSC and have their emotions suppressed due to some kind of implant and possibly regular "treatments." John in that sense is something of an unwilling prisoner of the UNSC. His humanity has been stolen from him and he's somewhat aware of it and not happy about it. His memories of his parents are coming back. In extreme situations, he lashes out with strong emotional displays, like we see with the prisoner. Halsey's ultimate goal is the Cortana Project which will, according to her, basically override the consciousness of the SPARTANs and turn them into robots.

Thing is, that's just less interesting and less horrifying than the 'primary' lore. John was abducted by the UNSC and taken to Reach and turned into a super soldier. But in this version, the SPARTAN 'candidates' are all very aware of what's happening. Halsey argues that lying to the children will only backfire (which includes selective amnesia!) So, they're told, frequently, that they'll be made into the best soldiers ever. They get so thoroughly indoctrinated with propaganda, past and present, that it isn't that John doesn't know he has parents -- it's that he knows and he no longer cares. They didn't steal John's humanity so much as stripped it from him and made him think he gave it up and left him thinking it was the right thing to do. It isn't that John's psyche is suppressed by physiological implants (indeed, messing with the minds of the SPARTAN candidates was seen as too dangerous), it's that he's just been tricked into thinking he isn't really human. I think one of the best things about Halo is this idea of John as a tragic character. When I think John-117, I don't think emotionless prisoner, but closer to that line from Watchman: "His subtle facial twitches wouldn't be noticed by the layman, but to me, he might as well have been sobbing."

Halo 4 demonstrated a pretty interesting story about John reclaiming his humanity, or part of it. Halo 4 also seemed to be leading to a story where John would act against the UNSC before Halo 5 crashed the plane (with no survivors) and Infinite was left to try and put it back together. So, it's not that Halo itself can't do this. It's just that what we appear to be getting is much more simple when the tapestry is fairly complex. And maybe that makes sense -- it'd be hard to have a TV series where John is as robotic as he sometimes is in the primary lore. But the times where he is really awkward and stilted in these first two episodes are some of the best bits! Just like it'd be hard to have a TV series where we see the UNSC turn a child into a soldier and have it sort of skip past the fact that the UNSC's issue with the SPARTANs isn't that they're walking crimes against humanity but that it's cheaper to buy a corvette or whatever.

Similarly, it's not that Halo hasn't presented alternate canon takes before, either -- Halo: Reach overrode the beloved Fall of Reach novel. But that was similar to my initial point in how it was somehow less interesting and more nonsensical so the writers could tell a 'new' story.

I feel like how they depict John and Cortana will be what makes or breaks the series. It's a defining element of the franchise with some well-executed pathos in the various games and novels. The idea of the human who doesn't think he is and the AI who guides him, that sense of them being protectors for each other and of each other, of being war buddies, of the weird intimacy where Cortana is this weird mother/daughter/lover figure. The guilt Cortana bears for picking John in the first place. It's a very rich, interesting relationship and I feel like 'she was made to control you but decided to help you' or whatever it feels like they might be going with just feels... well, flat. Especially when she's seemingly human now, probably so John and Cortana can have a mutual 'wow, they took our humanity from us' moment.

I'm trying not to be too cynical but I feel like they could've gone much further with their idea of a 'Silver' continuity that is its own thing or whatever while telling a story that felt closer to the spirit of the lore. Just have John start with Cortana instead of doing this slow, dumb build up. Give us a first season where John is just murdering rebels and we can get a feel for the authoritarian nature of the UNSC. Give us a better idea of, well, everything if we're not going to trade on pre-existing lore and concepts.

And then there's the little things. It feels like the UNSC isn't engaged in an existential war against the Covenant. Like, maybe they've had a few skirmishes but the Insurrectionists on Madrigal seemed to believe they were basically UNSC propaganda. We see in the first episode that the SPARTANs are using these huge gantries to put their armor on, and then John seems to shuck his armor between shots in episode two. And I feel like the idea of SPARTANs removing their armor simply is even more of an issue in this take on the universe than the original given that this take basically says that the armor is a way to monitor and control them, up to and including remotely cutting off their oxygen.

Great post. This show is so loving bad dude. I don't know who the gently caress this is for other than the weird showrunners/writers cuz goddamn. Like its so bewildering

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*takes a long drag off a cigarette*

Dats a lotta worms.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So, so close to John Halo hanging dong on screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Cortana is some uncanny valley looking poo poo, thought they would've just had Natascha McElhone with some CGI effects