Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Huh. I thought Reginald was dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Maybe they put Reginald's soul in another koala's body.

Also...while I didn't HATE this episode or anything, I'm starting to think maybe 19 seasons is enough seasons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

These all sound like Roger personas.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Adidas Ultraboost sounds like it could be the name of the persona who owned the gym in the attic & harassed Steve about signing up for a membership

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Also...while I didn't HATE this episode or anything, I'm starting to think maybe 19 seasons is enough seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cgbZqR2AGI

It was a good episode. Firebug Francine was delightful.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I thought the episode was fine. I just think that in general, they're a little less consistent lately.

Episodes that feature Stan's obsessive, addictive personality are always fun though. Jury duty, census, crack, kinks, ham, now firefighting. :allears:

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Just a heads up

https://twitter.com/AmericanDadTBS/status/1503559265205862404

Guess they'll be back around September or October.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

YeahTubaMike posted:

I respect your opinion, but I've got to respectfully disagree, this episode had me laughing all the way through.

I've been under a lot of stress lately and having new weekly American Dad episodes really helps me relax when-

No.1 Special posted:

Just a heads up

.....WELP! Back to using weed as a coping mechanism for me!

Then again, in the future when I inevitably need a pick me up in fall (because I smoked through all of my weed) this'll be a big help.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

No.1 Special posted:

Just a heads up

Booooo

Maybe this means a Christmas episode at Christmas though?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I prefer to think of the fart and leave as payback for taking over the town last week

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Zero One posted:

Huh. I thought Reginald was dead.

They killed Linda Memari off screen but then brought her back off-screen.
I don't think character deaths stick around unless they're actually plot-important to an episode rather than a joke about the show's lack of continuity or presence of deep-cut characters

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

The "He's gonna say something!" and the resulting scream, coming from the extremely gorey burned up Stan is why I don't think this is true. The show still gets big laughs out of me, and its quality is bizarrely consistent. At this point, it's more consistently good than every other similarly aged show.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I respect your opinion, but I've got to respectfully disagree, this episode had me laughing all the way through.

I've been under a lot of stress lately and having new weekly American Dad episodes really helps me relax when-

.....WELP! Back to using weed as a coping mechanism for me!

Then again, in the future when I inevitably need a pick me up in fall (because I smoked through all of my weed) this'll be a big help.
I don't rewatch many movies or shows, but I go back to American Dad a lot for this reason. I find it relaxing too because I relate a lot to its unique voice.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

No.1 Special posted:

Just a heads up

Shoulda gone with

LATER WORLD

SMELL MA rear end

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Pyro Franny rules lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

These all sound like Roger personas.
Brooks Glycerin, soapmaker to the stars!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brooks Glycerin is such a Roger name I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I think I'm just afraid of seeing American Dad get outright bad, to the point that I end up kind of overthinking & not living in the moment. You have to understand though -- SVU has been going for 22 seasons, and it's been terrible for like five of them, and I can't take another heartbreak. It doesn't help that I grew up on The Simpsons too.

Nichael posted:

At this point, it's more consistently good than every other similarly aged show.

This is a thousand percent accurate.

Chris Knight posted:

Brooks Glycerin, soapmaker to the stars!

I heard this in Roger's voice :haw:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok that was a great episode. “He’s going to say something!”

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

YeahTubaMike posted:

I thought this was easily the best episode in like a month.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I think I'm just afraid of seeing American Dad get outright bad, to the point that I end up kind of overthinking & not living in the moment. You have to understand though -- SVU has been going for 22 seasons, and it's been terrible for like five of them, and I can't take another heartbreak. It doesn't help that I grew up on The Simpsons too.

Don't let the fear of something potentially turning out bad to keep you from enjoying what you can now!
It's not a Lost or Game of Thrones where it turned out to be a waste of time because they needed to add up to something and ultimately didn't,
this is comedy on an evergreen animated sitcom.
The Simpsons fall from grace hit hard, but that's partly because of how it became an institution high on its own status whose built up continuity and former emotional heights ended up making the transition to a long-running series that much less a graceful landing and more a hollowing-out and collapse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just noticed that on Hulu Santa, Schmanta is in season 13 but not listed as part of season 13 with Paranoid Frandroid as s13e1.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Don't let the fear of something potentially turning out bad to keep you from enjoying what you can now!
It's not a Lost or Game of Thrones where it turned out to be a waste of time because they needed to add up to something and ultimately didn't,
this is comedy on an evergreen animated sitcom.
The Simpsons fall from grace hit hard, but that's partly because of how it became an institution high on its own status whose built up continuity and former emotional heights ended up making the transition to a long-running series that much less a graceful landing and more a hollowing-out and collapse.

I'm so worried this show won't answer its deep mythology questions like, what happened to Jeff and Barry's project?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nichael posted:

I'm so worried this show won't answer its deep mythology questions like, what happened to Jeff and Barry's project?

Right? Are they collaborative co-creators now? Or did it go so poorly they're now sworn enemies?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ohhh, the devil's gonna poke you in your giant rear end and your daughter's gonna cheer him on

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I had a dream about watching AD with a random dream person. It was an episode where Roger & Stan were trapped in a canoe in a swamp, Roger was taking things lightly, Stan got annoyed with his unserious reaction to the serious situation, and Roger annoyed him further by changing personas. I explained to a random dream person that (not my actual feelings, btw) the show employed this trope too much and it was getting old.

Roger irritating curmudgeonly Stan is always pretty great imho, and it doesn't happen especially often. The only example I can think of is Cops & Roger, but even that's not the way it happened in the dream.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I refuse to discuss your dreams during daytime!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Hey, so which episode of this show would you use to introduce someone to this show? I was trying to tell a friend how much this is my go-to stoned show but I couldn't think of a specific episode to introduce them to the extremely weird tone of this show. Any thoughts?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

1600 candles, and look at them meaningfully as Steve's red pube floats through the air at the end

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

robot roll call posted:

Hey, so which episode of this show would you use to introduce someone to this show? I was trying to tell a friend how much this is my go-to stoned show but I couldn't think of a specific episode to introduce them to the extremely weird tone of this show. Any thoughts?

A Jones for Smith (s5ep11) aka the one where Stan gets hooked on crack.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

One Fish, Two Fish just because I think about them trying to open that coconut like, all the time

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

robot roll call posted:

I usually go with either “In Country…Club” or “Bully for Steve.” Start ‘em off by introducing them to either Mind Quad or Stelio Kantos.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I've never introduced anyone to this show but the ones that came to mind are "The Unincludeds" or the one where Stan uses a hot girl avatar to get closer to Steve. It also has my favorite B-plot of Roger in the limo.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Russian Guyovitch posted:

I usually go with either “In Country…Club” or “Bully for Steve.” Start ‘em off by introducing them to either Mind Quad or Stelio Kantos.

:hmmyes:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Killer Vacation is one that I would suggest, the accidental dolphin assassinations were great and everyone gets a shot at the b-story, with Steve's being amazing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

robot roll call posted:

That one with the hot tub

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Cops and Roger s5e14 but mostly for the elbow drop, not the Reginald stuff.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Russian Guyovitch posted:

Seconding both of these.

limp_cheese posted:

the one where Stan uses a hot girl avatar to get closer to Steve. It also has my favorite B-plot of Roger in the limo.

"Virtual In-Stanity" and yeeeesssss. Imho that B-plot is second only to the one in "G-String Circus", where the boys go to space camp on the week where they honor the behind-the-scenes staff instead of doing space stuff.

Speaking of B-plots, is "Steve & Snot's Test-tubular Adventure" is the one where Stan dresses up as an incredibly unconvincing '50s schoolgirl, gets seduced by a guy at a bar, and then forgets to get information from him, all while "We Are Young" plays in the background? I guess that's more of a C-plot, but I suggest it anyway. CIA technology, Steve & Snot being weirdos, a couple of Roger personas for good measure -- the only thing it might be missing is some Francinery.

Neeksy posted:

Killer Vacation is one that I would suggest, the accidental dolphin assassinations were great and everyone gets a shot at the b-story, with Steve's being amazing.

I was about to argue against it, thinking it was "Vacation Goo", but then I saw that it was the one where Jeff & Hayley end up homosexually swinging and Roger yells about his imaginary husband molesting their imaginary kids, so I'm in favor. Not a huge fan of the subplot where Steve's leg gets stuffed with bees though, but I might just be a weirdo.

edit:

Nemo posted:

Cops and Roger s5e14 but mostly for the elbow drop, not the Reginald stuff.

It's also a good one for showing how chaotic evil Roger is, getting in on illegal puppy trades, loving mayonnaise, and whatnot. Plus, it has the normal-assed Jennyyyyy.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 6, 2022

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

YeahTubaMike posted:

Speaking of B-plots, is "Steve & Snot's Test-tubular Adventure" is the one where Stan dresses up as an incredibly unconvincing '50s schoolgirl, gets seduced by a guy at a bar, and then forgets to get information from him, all while "We Are Young" plays in the background? I guess that's more of a C-plot, but I suggest it anyway. CIA technology, Steve & Snot being weirdos, a couple of Roger personas for good measure -- the only thing it might be missing is some Francinery.
Nope. That one was the Guntenberg one. Test-Tubular was the one where he had a suicidal Dodo.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

robot roll call posted:

I know a lot of people suggested episodes, but I've had this question too before. The reason why I find it difficult to answer is either though the show doesn't have real continuity, a lot of the jokes work because of years of character development that compound the absurdity of everything.

Like, Klaus' nook isn't funny by itself, but it is funny after watching the show demonstrate how pathetic he is for seasons, and seeing his slow build up to having his own equivalent of Roger's attice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Rudoku posted:

Nope. That one was the Guntenberg one. Test-Tubular was the one where he had a suicidal Dodo.

Why did I think that they were both in the same episode? I swear, it's like my brain is trying to protect me from "We Are Young" or something.

Nichael posted:

I know a lot of people suggested episodes, but I've had this question too before. The reason why I find it difficult to answer is either though the show doesn't have real continuity, a lot of the jokes work because of years of character development that compound the absurdity of everything.

Like, Klaus' nook isn't funny by itself, but it is funny after watching the show demonstrate how pathetic he is for seasons, and seeing his slow build up to having his own equivalent of Roger's attice.

Ooh, speaking of Klaus, which episode has the B-plot where he tries to get the family to go to a Fabulous Thunderbirds concert and they end up going without him because of a "never wake a sleeping fish" imagined proverb?