Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

loving’s Field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

loving’s Field.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Knuc U Kinte posted:

loving’s Field.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

persona 2 - eternal punishment
innocent sin was better but this was pretty good too. i like the persona 1 call backs. if this game had a good combat system and didnt require negotiating 50 times for a single persona it would be amazing.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

That Little Demon posted:

[17] Kings Field 2 (Kings Field in USA) 3/31/22
Review:
I have tried many times over the years to finish this game, but decided after Elden Ring I wanted to see where the Souls series got its start. Its amazing how much has been used over the last 25 years continuing from Kings Field. It has all the Dark Souls staples including hidden doors, invisible paths, big insane boss fights, the moonlight greatsword / dark moon greatsword, Seath, and as open of a world as you can get in 1995 with branching paths that open up later to become shortcuts. If you can stomach a first person game from 1995 that has terrible slowdown when more than 2 enemies are on the screen at once, I do recommend you try this if you want to see how this game evolved into Elden Ring. I really had a blast playing this, and it took about 20 hours or so to beat. I want to finish the rest of the series, and if I can stomach it, the very first one that only came out in Japan. Oh, and the music kicks loving rear end. Really, really impressed by this game.

9/10

The first one isn’t too bad

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
8) Dark Souls 2 SotFS version: I never actually finished Scholar, after beating normal DS2 a couple times, so good to finally do it I guess. It's just not a great game lol. Boss design and variety, animations, sound, world design, I think it's all worst in the series. Gargoyles were probably my favorite fight, which is sad. The one thing I really liked is how you could tackle the first four main story bosses in whatever order. Besides the janky gameplay, the lack of interconnectedness in the world is probably the biggest disappointment compared to 1. Bloodborne came out a week before Scholar (and only a year after vanilla DS2), which kinda blows my mind. Feel bad for the devs working on vanilla DS2 and scholar, thinking of them checking out what the guys in the office next door were working on then having to go back to finish making their sad game lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don’t think the interconnectedness is a big deal tbh and especially when they rightly let you warp everywhere in every game after 1 instead of schlepping it back through areas again and again

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I don’t think the interconnectedness is a big deal tbh and especially when they rightly let you warp everywhere in every game after 1 instead of schlepping it back through areas again and again

It's more like you literally turn a corner and now it's an entirely different weather/setting/biome, it could've been demons souls style split into stages for as coherent as it was. Also seeing parts of the world from other areas and then going to those parts is awesome and, I think, completely absent from 2 (though I don't remember if it was much in 3 either honestly). That's not a huge knock on its own but it's like, they didn't spend extra effort and time making the bosses super cool in exchange for half assing the world design and sound or whatever.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think that’s cool tbh. They all talk about the worlds collapsing and universes colliding and time unravelling and so on but none of them really feel like that other than 2 I think. They all also have weird connections even if they’re more coherent. Like Anor Londo just being a teleporter on the roof of sens fortress. Or undead burg being right next door to catacombs and new londo and the first bell and so on.

BB I think benefits most from the connectedness because it makes Yharnam feel so real as a location and doesn’t involve tonnes of regions.

It’s also why imo Demons and BB of them all have the clearest identities as games and the most cohesive aesthetic/atmospheres

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Elden Ring, Age of Stars ending, all shardbearers beaten. Incredible game, I had a few gripes here and there but nothing to seriously drag my enjoyment down. The combat felt fantastic, the world was fun to explore, the art direction and lore was fascinating. I played through 99% of the game with a pure STR build wielding the Berserk greatsword but respecced to pure DEX with power-stanced katanas after getting killed by the final boss 1,000,000 times just to try out something new and that's what finally got me the win. It's the first Soulsborne game I've beaten despite dabbling in all of them except DS3 at least a little bit over the last few years, feels really good to have one down. The temptation to go into NG+ right away is strong but I think I'm going to spend some time away with other games to lose some of the muscle memory and then aim to beat the rest of the Soulsborne series.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Call of Duty world tour continues with the Ghosts campaign. I like this one a lot, fun corny 80s movie tone without the awful :razz: self-awareness that most games with that tone have, down to the plot basically being a Call of Duty version of Commando's. Some fun setpieces like the space combat and the tank battles. I'm surprised the dog sidekick didn't catch on with the rest of the series.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 8, 2022

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

1. Tell Me Why
  2. Vampire Survivors
  3. SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech

Enjoyed my replay of this more than I thought I would. It was fun using different strats instead of stubbornly sticking to one team/deck

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. M.U.S.H.A.
2. Ion Fury
3. Thunder Force II
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Inscryption
6. Elden Ring
7. Gran Turismo 7
8. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. Deathloop

The AI is dumb as a rock and it gets kinda tedious doing some of the longer questlines, but I largely enjoyed it as an immersive sim that actively encourages you to murder the hell out of everyone. Probably my least favorite of Arkane's games, but a solid 7/10 imo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Roth posted:

1. M.U.S.H.A.
2. Ion Fury
3. Thunder Force II
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Inscryption
6. Elden Ring
7. Gran Turismo 7
8. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. Deathloop

The AI is dumb as a rock and it gets kinda tedious doing some of the longer questlines, but I largely enjoyed it as an immersive sim that actively encourages you to murder the hell out of everyone. Probably my least favorite of Arkane's games, but a solid 7/10 imo.

Gonna get back to this one after Elden Ring.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations. A solid game but not a great one, putting it somewhere between the very good Conquest and the mediocre-at-best Birthright. It tries to do Conquest's thing of more varied objectives and gimmicks for each map which I largely appreciate but some of the gimmicks are just tedious instead of interesting or challenging. It's nice having the full roster of characters from both previous games but I wish they made the maps bigger and let you use more units per mission to compensate, without raising the unit cap you just leave most of your huge army on the sidelines in favor of your favorite 11 guys which was already a bummer in other FE games that had only half the characters.

The story's in kind of a weird place, throwing away the central conflict where your character is torn in the war between their birth family and their adopted one by making everyone join forces against a third, new faction feels like a weird fanfiction thing, but at the same time there were huge plot holes and unanswered questions in both games that finally got answered in this one so it also feels like the definitive path. I'd be interested to replay it down the road and see if I feel more positively about it when I'm not coming relatively recently off the two other Fates games because I was definitely feeling some Fates fatigue.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
i finished god of war and ghost of tsushima, op im going to start horizon zero dawn next and i have aids

im not allowing myself a next gen console or elden ring until I beat all the ps4 games I own

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

swimsuit posted:

i finished god of war and ghost of tsushima, op im going to start horizon zero dawn next and i have aids

im not allowing myself a next gen console or elden ring until I beat all the ps4 games I own

Sorry, it’s terminal.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

just beat elden ring on an arcane run. my loving god what a game. already started a new run

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not allowing myself to eat this ice cream sundae until I bash my dick repeatedly with a claw hammer for 400 hours.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

Not allowing myself to eat this ice cream sundae until I bash my dick repeatedly with a claw hammer for 400 hours.

Lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

American McGay posted:

lol just hearing the elden ring title theme in my head while reading this post

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

American McGay posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

American McGay posted:

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

American McGay posted:

lol.... seriously dude just play games that you will enjoy instead of terrible ones that you know you will hate. that poo poo is a severely Games forum mindset imo

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

anyway, I cleared Kirby and the Forgotten Land, 100%. extremely charming and fun and I'm looking forward to seeing how they will translate other Kirby abilities into 3D for the next game

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fiend Matador posted:

lol.... seriously dude just play games that you will enjoy instead of terrible ones that you know you will hate. that poo poo is a severely Games forum mindset imo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

there are enough really good games to fill up all of your time, like kirby: the forgotten lands, elden ring, the yakuza series, elden ring new game +, dragon quest 11, elden ring with a totally different build, etc.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

theres not even close to enough time for the games i like, like hell am i gonna waste time on games that i know are gonna suck! ubisoft never once

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

༽◺_◿༼ Ubisoft 死鬼!傻猪!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fungah! posted:

༽◺_◿༼ Ubisoft 死鬼!傻猪!

Bump this thread every day you don't buy a game from Activision, EA, or Ubisoft

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

elf help book posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

this

copy
Jul 26, 2007

elf help book posted:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

very well

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Majora's Mask 3D - kind of hard to play on a tiny screen with the tiny thumb stick at times. The dungeons are mostly good but the bosses are bad except for the first and last one. I didn't collect all the jinjo fairies or do any side-quests (I deal with too many npc's in real life.)

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Frenz posted:

Majora's Mask 3D - kind of hard to play on a tiny screen with the tiny thumb stick at times. The dungeons are mostly good but the bosses are bad except for the first and last one. I didn't collect all the jinjo fairies or do any side-quests (I deal with too many npc's in real life.)

:raise:

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Elden Ring NG+

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Frenz posted:

fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

chrono trigger ds - really beautiful game, lives up to the hype for the most part, but all the bosses sucked aside from the new ones they added for this port. i didn't collect a lot of gear or items since they're mostly in chests (i have a crippling fear of receiving/opening packages irl)