Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stevie Lee posted:

i bought an e-bike on saturday and i've been riding it to work the past three days. it's p. nice; the big hill i have to go up on my way home feels like nothing
I want an ebike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i ride an electric unicycle. besides being generally bizarre, it manages to be both less healthy and less accessible than an ebike, but at least i can bring it onto busses and into bars without trouble.

e: when you include time spent parking it is as fast as or faster than a car even for my cross-town trips. it's nice to live somewhere that's bikeable, even by american standards.

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Apr 5, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

some people hate protected bike lanes

https://twitter.com/MrWedekind/status/1511104375208521736?s=20&t=auYq9v1XTCLS37dm3CL7WQ

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

this is Nick Delladonna, deeply insane DC uber-nimby. last seen in public screaming at someone about how the safety of their child is beside the point compared to a very tiny reduction in parking spaces.

he keeps trying to claim that a safeway near a new protected bike lane is going to have to close because of it, despite the safeway in question shrugging and saying it has no idea what he's talking about

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

they're right, bikes are a cancer on american society

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I ride a Diamondback Century I got 5 years ago after my old coworker gave me his old clapped out 80s Motobecane and I fell in love with road biking.

Haven’t ridden in a while since I work second shift and don’t want to die in general. Probably will give riding in the morning before work a go

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

God Hole posted:

a rural conservative, upon noting there is no asphalt road leading to a pristine forest or remote mountain range will immediately set his mind to finding the most fuel-intensive method of depositing beer cans and cigarette butts in that location and polka-dotting the area with dozens upon dozens of fire pits (four-wheelers, snowmobiles, an apartment-sized RV with a loud as gently caress generator, and a humongous trailer for transporting the four-wheelers and snowmobiles)

Yup, they’re “in tune” with nature insofar as they’re in it while tearing it up with gasoline burning ATVs and trucks on their way to shoot at things and leave beer cans and lead shot everywhere

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://youtube.com/c/ROADRAGEBADDRIVING

Love this channel. Bite sized morsels of our hubris. Gaze upon selfish drivers, inattentive idiots, horrible traffic design, and how ridiculous it is that we drive.

I’ve watched 40 of these.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Phillychat, about that horrible video that was posted

If Washington Ave is a stroad, then Broad Street is a stroad, and then the term is meaningless.

There's this huge conflict going on about Washington Ave right now and it's gentrifiers who've decided that Washington Ave is the Devil vs people who have actually lived and worked here for decades. Turns out the gentrifiers are sorta gonna win, but they're not happy with that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If Washington Ave is a stroad, then Broad Street is a stroad, and then the term is meaningless.

There's this huge conflict going on about Washington Ave right now and it's gentrifiers who've decided that Washington Ave is the Devil vs people who have actually lived and worked here for decades. Turns out the gentrifiers are sorta gonna win, but they're not happy with that.

95% of respondents to a written survey hand-delivered to locals wanted Washington Ave changed

btw the avenue in that video is absolutely a stroad, stroads are extremely common in the US, the term is not meaningless

mystes
May 31, 2006

If making a road safer when everyone including local schools whose students have to cross every day wants it fixed (in multiple surveys since a few whiny people complained) is "gentrification" and bad then I guess we just need to bury landmines on roads in areas with lots of minorities to make them even less safe and keep white people out?

Because that's basically the ultimate conclusion of this dumb carbrained logic.

mystes has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Apr 6, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The term gentrification is meaningless now. Washington Avenue has loving sucked for decades and the people that think it's fine are wrong.

e: Especially if they have lived there for years.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
If anyone brings up gentrification in discussions with making the streets safer you can automatically assume they either lying to your face and using an actually important issue as a fulcrum in their little deception, or they are the most credulous buffoon that should be nowhere near civic decisions, or both

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

chain probes for car brains

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

can't tell if you're actually this stupid or if you're doing this as a bit

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

mods please give thread IK powers to everyone with the two wheeled terrors gangtag

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

four wheels bad, two wheels good!

one wheel not necessarily better, maybe, it can depend on your personal circumstances :shobon:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

lets check in on the opposition:

Sherrod also wants more regulation of cyclists, who she believes often “put themselves in harm’s way” by not stopping at intersections and swerving around people in crosswalks. “That doesn’t mean they should be hurt or killed,” she said, but urban cycling “causes more problems than it’s worth. We need to make sure bicyclists have a license or permit and insurance.”

oh, word

https://www.inquirer.com/transportation/washington-avenue-philadelphia-development-gentrification-planning-20220228.html

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I have nothing but respect for the onewheelers and the electric unicycles. Strong people with kind hearts

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
also don't "papers please?" people who ride bikes you gestapo liberal fucks

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Better inconvenience the people who most often have to rely on them, teach them a lesson

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
the thing that made me maddest was the mass parking on the median, which is still illegal but nobody cares because where else are you going to park?

fuckin hell

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's a real difference between Washington Avenue west of Broad and east of Broad. West of Broad is where the thing gets wider, more stroad-like, and it's also where the most severe gentrification is happening. Especially west of 15th Street, that area was always incredibly industrial, and it's being replaced more and more by more and larger stick-built apartment buildings of the type that are more and more pervasive across the country every year. Especially the monstrosity they have just finished on the site of the old chocolate factory.

But not only is that area the most post industrial 10 blocks of Washington Ave's ~25 blocks, it's also the area that was mostly inhabited by minorities before the last 10-15 years. And the redevelopment is mostly fueled by new residents.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There's a real difference between Washington Avenue west of Broad and east of Broad. West of Broad is where the thing gets wider, more stroad-like, and it's also where the most severe gentrification is happening. Especially west of 15th Street, that area was always incredibly industrial, and it's being replaced more and more by more and larger stick-built apartment buildings of the type that are more and more pervasive across the country every year. Especially the monstrosity they have just finished on the site of the old chocolate factory.

But not only is that area the most post industrial 10 blocks of Washington Ave's ~25 blocks, it's also the area that was mostly inhabited by minorities before the last 10-15 years. And the redevelopment is mostly fueled by new residents.

It's true, because minorities live there we shouldn't improve the neighborhood amenities

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

The apartment buildings go up whether you change the roads or not, hth

mystes
May 31, 2006

If only Robert Moses was still alive, he could turn it into a full restricted access highway to stop gentrification and be a hero for minorities living there.

The kids who would have to take a 30 minutes bus detour to get around it rather than crossing the street would be so grateful.

mystes has issued a correction as of 10:24 on Apr 6, 2022

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

you must be the credulous buffoon type to frame infrastructure improvement like this.

Perfect example of the liberal poison that is making everything worse for everyone.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

the ideal built environment to repel gentrification is an aging apartment building with lead pipes and asbestos walls and every type of rodent and roach infestation surrounded on all sides by eight lane highways with literally no way to enter or leave short of sprinting through 80 mph traffic.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Jabronie posted:

what's up?

No traffic, no traffic, no you're the traffic

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Time for my walk :) to work :(

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

the ideal built environment to repel gentrification is an aging apartment building with lead pipes and asbestos walls and every type of rodent and roach infestation surrounded on all sides by eight lane highways with literally no way to enter or leave short of sprinting through 80 mph traffic.

sacrifice within existing environments is necessary in order to build the kind of environment we want in the future. I suggest we start with all these downtown office real estate spaces that people are being marched back to so they can do their jobs they've been doing from home for the last two years.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I try not to be this way, but this comic was written from a place of truth

https://mobile.twitter.com/lastplacecomics/status/1502370470682841100

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wolfy posted:

lets check in on the opposition:

Sherrod also wants more regulation of cyclists, who she believes often “put themselves in harm’s way” by not stopping at intersections and swerving around people in crosswalks. “That doesn’t mean they should be hurt or killed,” she said, but urban cycling “causes more problems than it’s worth. We need to make sure bicyclists have a license or permit and insurance.”

oh, word

https://www.inquirer.com/transportation/washington-avenue-philadelphia-development-gentrification-planning-20220228.html

Oh, at first I thought this was a government official or someone important. It's just some moron.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzw_STcYJ9k

:rubby:

Now that's what I call a road diet! I think this design is pretty insane, but I'd be willing to hear someone explain why it's not.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wolfy posted:

Now that's what I call a road diet! I think this design is pretty insane, but I'd be willing to hear someone explain why it's not.

Just get rid of the bike lanes, ez fix imo.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wolfy posted:

it increases the risk of head-on collisions, which ultimately gets more drivers and cars off the road

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wolfy posted:

See this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gzHL9KzFPQ

However, it only works if drivers actually respect it and it also seems like this road may have too much traffic for it?

That said it's weird that everyone is acting like they can't understand the idea of drivers sharing one lane because drivers manage just fine on narrow one lane roads where one car has to pull over for cars in opposite directions to pass all the time.

Essentially, if drivers actual respect it it should make the road feel like a narrow one lane road they have to go slow on from their perspective and help calm traffic, but Americans will probably all just decide to ignore the markings and treat it as a normal two lane road.

I think ideally you want low enough traffic that cars normally don't actually have to pass though.

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:26 on Apr 6, 2022

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wolfy posted:

That road is super wide, drivers that can't navigate that should lose their license.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That design is fine with low traffic and slow speeds, but that street doesn't look appropriate for it at all. They should have removed the on-street parking instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That design is fine with low traffic and slow speeds, but that street doesn't look appropriate for it at all. They should have removed the on-street parking instead.

Looking at Gold Coast Drive in San Diego on Maps, it really doesn't seem like a street that would have all that much traffic.