Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/BitPlanetGames/status/1510314066639794179

DLC incoming to Ultrawings 2. Plane races in this game makes all the sense in the world.

I'm finishing up the game, I'm at 71%.
Alas, the last update seems to have broken a pair of missions, with the Haws in the stunt courses, they ask me to return and land into the airport, and I think the texture with the green/yellow/red areas is not loading, because I complete the job and land and it fails always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Still plugging away with Elden Ring but was feeling some more RE4 VR and I still find the pump shotguns to be a bit finicky on the actual pumping motion. I feel like I've been running into a bunch of times where I load shells, hold the gun, pump (sometimes slowly), and it still doesn't work right leaving me clicking away and wide open to catch an axe to the face

I also hope for the next Thrill of the Fight they tighten up how clinching works because it seems a bit awkward, too

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Lemming posted:

I finally got around to giving Township Tale a shot, expecting not to like it, and I didn't like it and it made me feel pretty motion sick.

I tried it for the first time this weekend and got extremely sick while still in the character creator. I don't think it was the stick movement, using teleport didn't help at all. It more felt like something was broken. I tried looking online and didn't see much talk about motion sickness for TT which makes me wonder if the recent quest update broke something.

For anyone that has played A Township Tale in the past how was the games comfort for you?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It could be some kind of perspective issue, if you ever tried setting up VorpX it rapidly becomes obvious how complex making a good VR camera can be.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Saukkis posted:

I did find that as a problem on games like Sword of Gargantua compared to Beat Saber, where you expect your saber to just slice through the blocks. Or Creed where I was surprised my hit didn't go home, because the edge of my glove got stuck on the opponent's.

Maybe VR needs a modified light saber combat where the opponent doesn't block your saber, but instead cuts it. Your swing will go through, but it won't do anything since the blade is momentarily half length.

Ironlights took a neat approach in that striking an opponent (or parrying their blow) shatters your weapon, and you must reach over your shoulder to grab a new one/respawn it. To make this work, they have a similar concept to fencing's "right of way" rules. It's not freeform, but players will kind of trade off acting as attacker/defender.

I ended up not really gelling much with the gameplay, as much as I like the concept in theory. One thing that bugs me is that players stand a fixed distance from each other, and it's frankly waaaayyy too close and feels practically chest-to-chest. The other thing is that managing the energy bars -- the currency with which you go into attack mode (or perform ranged attacks) -- in my opinion gets in the way of the gameplay. Mix that up with ranged attacks (which consume energy) and the sum of all the parts just doesn't end up feeling much like a melee event in the end.

The Ghost Writer
Jun 27, 2012
:ghost:
Shameful Outlet

SCheeseman posted:

and if you die in the game it kills you irl

Saw this already done I think

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/ch20tg/permadeath_mod_for_superhot_vr_on_quest/

development seems to have stalled for some inexplicable reason

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I still haven't seen a vr shooter better than Sairento and that game is relatively ancient. It's really sad.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I still haven't seen a vr shooter better than Sairento and that game is relatively ancient. It's really sad.

Stormland, even given it's too easy overall. The movement is more dynamic and way less janky

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't like Sairento. One of my bad buying choices.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lemming posted:

Stormland, even given it's too easy overall. The movement is more dynamic and way less janky

Oh yeah, I played that. Stormland is fantastic, not sure why it slipped my mind.
The only issue with it is the performance. It chugs quite a bit even on a machine that can handle Alyx on max settings.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sairento is definitely "OK" but it's more of a condemnation of the VR market than anything that in many ways it's still best in class.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
My sisters and I like to play Pokerstars and (sometimes) walk-about mini-golf together. Do you guys have any other suggestions for low impact games where people can just sit or stand and chat while doing some sort of activity together? Poker and golf are great because you really don't need to focus on the actual games all that often.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Tetris?
Fishing?
Lots of art/graffiti options too

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

there are a pair of bowling games. You may also like Pool?

Oh, Demeo is turn based and seated experience, so it may suit you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

6dof give a high score to Tentacular (9)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEZac5zD6uo

I will wait for my next 30% code.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Tentacular is extremely charming but mostly feels like “Fisherman’s Tale with a worse gimmick and a ton of Angry Birds minigames that aren’t interesting”.

Also Epic just released their new phone photogrammetry app into limited beta (https://www.capturingreality.com/introducing-realityscan). Really liking how easy it is to get a capture off my phone and over to my laptop for post processing.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Getting my tax return and I intended to spend a chunk of it on a VR headset. I've got a ryzen 5 3600 and a 3060ti. Is the Quest still the best option? I loath to have facebook in my life in any capacity.

Lynx R1 is a quest 2 with full color passthrough, better balance, doesn't sit on your face, and also they don't sell your data

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Linus tries DIY glove
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGyHT0t-mtw

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

flavor.flv posted:

Oh gently caress I just imagine a horror game that could tell when you blinked and oooh boy it was spooky

Don't. Blink.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Those gloves look so cool, and I will purchase some from him when he gets to that point.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hell yeah! Nice work, 90s Joseph Gordon-Levitt!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Some of the fan Discord designs looked pretty cool, like that red plastic glove; I have access to a 3D printer now and was planning to give full body a try until the component cost went to eye-wateringly high levels, so this might be a fun project to try instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Some of the fan Discord designs looked pretty cool, like that red plastic glove; I have access to a 3D printer now and was planning to give full body a try until the component cost went to eye-wateringly high levels, so this might be a fun project to try instead.

Take a look at HaritoraX if you want cheap...ish full-body tracking. A few friends of mine have said it's apparently quite decent.

Otherwise keep an eye out for a chance to score Tundra Trackers if you have a Lighthouse setup, because they're cheaper than Vive Tracker 3's and exactly the same in a better form factor. I've been nothing but happy with mine.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hey guys, I got a quick question about my quest 2 that's coming in a few days and that I plan to use for PCVR in wireless mode if possible. I've got a decent PC (Ryzen 3600 RTX3070) so most things should work okay on that end, however my router has a max throughput of 866 mbit/s and I read having a wlan 6 router with like 1200 mbit/s would be necessary for flawless streaming. Should I just get a cable to be on the safe side or should this work with wireless streaming without much graphical issues? If possible I'd like the best graphic output possible, as I want to do some Sim stuff like FS 2020.

There's so much conflicting on the internet that I thought I'd ask here, sorry if it's a repeat :shobon:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
You'll need a cable to set the Quest 2 up for PC VR anyway, so might as well get one. They're not that expensive and it's good to have even if airlink/VD works because the battery on the quest 2 lasts 2 hours and sometimes you might want to plug in just to keep playing. Rare for me, but some people play for longer than that in one session.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Kinda related (obviously not for someone sporting an RTX3070) but this might come in handy at least in that it will give some familiarity with the available options and tools for tuning performance:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/tu9b4y/the_potato_pc_definitive_guide_to_improving_image/

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Darke GBF posted:

You'll need a cable to set the Quest 2 up for PC VR anyway

Not anymore. The Quest store version of Virtual desktop does streaming and Air Link works pretty good as well

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Stormangel posted:

Not anymore. The Quest store version of Virtual desktop does streaming and Air Link works pretty good as well

Oh right I forgot Airlink doesn't need a cable to get set up. Yeah I dunno still nice to have a cable on hand, but I personally have used mine once in the past like, two years.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Son of Rodney posted:

Hey guys, I got a quick question about my quest 2 that's coming in a few days and that I plan to use for PCVR in wireless mode if possible. I've got a decent PC (Ryzen 3600 RTX3070) so most things should work okay on that end, however my router has a max throughput of 866 mbit/s and I read having a wlan 6 router with like 1200 mbit/s would be necessary for flawless streaming. Should I just get a cable to be on the safe side or should this work with wireless streaming without much graphical issues? If possible I'd like the best graphic output possible, as I want to do some Sim stuff like FS 2020.

There's so much conflicting on the internet that I thought I'd ask here, sorry if it's a repeat :shobon:

My router has the same max and I have no problems with it. Will echo recs to get a cable at some point though, especially if you're thinking flight sims. I use mine wirelessly for most stuff but when I'm doing sim racing stuff I always plug it in.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Thanks goons, gonna get a cable to be on the safe side, i found a recommended one for 13 buy so no harm done in any case.

njsykora posted:

My router has the same max and I have no problems with it. Will echo recs to get a cable at some point though, especially if you're thinking flight sims. I use mine wirelessly for most stuff but when I'm doing sim racing stuff I always plug it in.

Good to hear that, that's propably what I'm gonna do as well as I'll probably use it sitting most of the time anyway.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/ItsKaitlyn03/status/1511420503659061261

It seems Meta will sell you an official wifi dongle, but it was a rebrand, this one: D-Link DWA-F18 VR Air Bridge

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Whoever lived in my apartment before me ran some cat5 through the ceiling, going directly from the room my main computer (the one that can do VR well) is now in up and into the "spare room" that I'm turning into a little home theater/space for VR.

This might actually be good for me, I have very specific needs for my actual router and plan to keep using the one I have for actual Internet stuff, but when I went and signed onto the Internet for this place they gave me a free Wifi 6 router. So I thought, toss in another ethernet card in my computer, ethernet cable through the ceiling into the spare room, wifi 6 router in there bam no walls the signal has to go through perfect wireless VR.

The problem though is when they ran that cat5 cable it was all just a little bit too short, short enough to be really annoying. They had capped on little extenders like this;

That ones an ancient piece of poo poo and I'd throw it out and get my own. But, would those extenders add any latency or cause any other problems? If I have on one end an extender and another cat5 cable going to my computer, and on the other end another extender going to the router, is that gonna cause any kind of problems? Any kind of problems at all? I am very particular about this sort of thing and if it does, it will bug me. Cuz if so I'm gonna get up there and run another cat5 cable through that's longer but would definitely love to not have to do that.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Shouldn't matter for latency but you might or might not get random disconnects, dropped packets or lower maximum speed.

Up to you whether you care.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'd probably rerun the drop just to "do it right," especially if you know someone with a spool of cat5/6 and can crimp your own cables.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Warmachine posted:

I'd probably rerun the drop just to "do it right," especially if you know someone with a spool of cat5/6 and can crimp your own cables.

gently caress crimping, buy some rj45 plates and have female plugs at both ends and then use cheap premade cables. much easier on your sanity

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BrainDance posted:

Whoever lived in my apartment before me ran some cat5 through the ceiling, going directly from the room my main computer (the one that can do VR well) is now in up and into the "spare room" that I'm turning into a little home theater/space for VR.

This might actually be good for me, I have very specific needs for my actual router and plan to keep using the one I have for actual Internet stuff, but when I went and signed onto the Internet for this place they gave me a free Wifi 6 router. So I thought, toss in another ethernet card in my computer, ethernet cable through the ceiling into the spare room, wifi 6 router in there bam no walls the signal has to go through perfect wireless VR.

The problem though is when they ran that cat5 cable it was all just a little bit too short, short enough to be really annoying. They had capped on little extenders like this;

That ones an ancient piece of poo poo and I'd throw it out and get my own. But, would those extenders add any latency or cause any other problems? If I have on one end an extender and another cat5 cable going to my computer, and on the other end another extender going to the router, is that gonna cause any kind of problems? Any kind of problems at all? I am very particular about this sort of thing and if it does, it will bug me. Cuz if so I'm gonna get up there and run another cat5 cable through that's longer but would definitely love to not have to do that.

It's connecting wire to wire, it's not going to add latency and I really doubt there's going to be any packet drops. If you're that concerned, just go buy some new connectors

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Myst Island Walkabout Mini Golf course!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMQgxGVEMGM

With this and Jim Henson's Labyrinth, they're getting some cool licenses.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

Myst Island Walkabout Mini Golf course!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMQgxGVEMGM

With this and Jim Henson's Labyrinth, they're getting some cool licenses.

You were faster than me this time!

Also, Phasmaphobia VR reworks

https://twitter.com/KineticGame/status/1504477022034161670

It makes me think I should retry it. Then again, the real problem is not having people to play with, as it seems a game very geared toward already made parties.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
phasmophobia is very very good and you can play with flat friends, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played a ton of non-vr Phasmophobia back when everybody was playing it but remember VR feeling so goddamn janky when I tried it. These look like good changes though and maybe I'll have to try it again then when this update hits.