Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Nah for that money you can get yourself an old Boxster or Cayman and truly lean into the gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I injured the poor rallycross corolla this weekend.

the bottom right mounting hole is missing all its threads.
The bottom left mounting hole is fine, but the metal transmission mount bracket (not shown) rusted out and the hole ripped open so it was no longer attached to the transmission.
The top mount was still attached to the bracket and obvs no longer the transmission.

Fortunately the top mounting hole has a lot of threads left, it even has some untapped hole, so I'll get a bottoming tap and a longer bolt, should be fine.
The bottom left hole is fine, i just need to weld a new tab onto the mounting bracket.
The bottom right hole is totally hosed and needs an intervention. The walls are SO THIN, you can see on the top hole how much meat there is, I don't think it's enough for a helicoil, so I think i'll just go up one bolt size. They're currently m12, so i'll just go to 1/2" since it's slightly bigger and a common size.

Then just some JB weld to keep the oil from leaking out the newly created hole (or red RTV or whatever, IDGAF), and it should be good to go.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PBCrunch posted:

Do Civics suffer the same "inhaling broken off pieces of catalyst into the intake air stream" issues that all those 2.5L Nissan products (QR25DE iirc) have battled with?

No; in fact, Honda went to the catifold in 1996 on the Civics, IIRC (non-VTEC models on Civics). My 99 Altima with the KA24DE also had the cat bolted directly to the manifold.

On 96-00 DX/LX Civics, you can pick up a bit of power going to the EX manifolds (intake and exhaust) with a cat in the traditional spot - IIRC you actually wind up with more mid-RPM power, while the VTEC engines of that era are more top end. It's pretty much bolt-on if you get the entire EX exhaust, except you have to extend the secondary O2 sensor wiring. The ECU is fine with that too, thanks to it using only MAP (no MAF in sight on a Honda 4 cylinder until the K series).

Suburban Dad posted:

I did the yearly oil change (~10-11k on that oil) which is the longest I've ever went between changes. I used to be a 5k changer but started going by the oil life monitor. I'm a bad car owner and rarely (maybe never) even checked the oil in that time, and now it has 100k miles. Burned less than a quart in that time which is pretty impressive.

The Vic seems to lose about 1 quart (holds 6ish) every 6k, which isn't bad. Especially with how I beat on it. I'm probably going to send a sample to Blackstone next oil change - I think this is only the 2nd time I've changed it.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd stop short of cheapskate, since not having EGR means never dealing with EGR failures. But yes, valve timing can be manipulated in such a way that EGR isn't required. GM did this with the LSx all the time. Even on the original LS1 itself, the cam used in the Corvette let them eliminate EGR. The cam used in the F-body to cut power a little bit, also required EGR.

Most of the 1st gen Ecotecs also didn't have EGR; neither of my Saturns did (2.2 Ecotec, same one used in the last of the Cavaliers except with DBW). Really simple engine to work on overall, so long as you don't need to touch anything related to the timing chain or water pump.

Panty Saluter posted:

bro how did you drip enough oil to start a fire???

Filled it up in the dark and missed the hole with a good 1/4 of a quart. Ran down the valve covers to manifolds, I hammered it pretty hard to pass someone, fwoof. I'm not sure where the cats are, but it started where the exhaust manifold bolts to the rest of the exhaust (I assume the cats aren't far).

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The 86Philly group met up with the mid Atlantic 86 group today.

Lots of 86’s.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Removed the heads from the L31 engine I picked up and noticed one of the exhaust bolts was snapped so have that to sort out. On the short block I removed the timing set and cam to throw in a new LT4 cam and timing set. Have the new roller lifters soaking in oil to put in tomorrow. Started on the heads removing the standard rockers and springs. Going to finish putting that together tomorrow as well then the L31 is good to put back together and think about dropping it in. Got it back from the trans shop with a fresh 700R4 and HD converter. Once the engine is put together and in next sip be the AC so I can use it on power tour as no AC in June is a nope from me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Now I wait, everything is done until the KPower kit shows up

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BigPaddy posted:

Removed the heads from the L31 engine I picked up and noticed one of the exhaust bolts was snapped so have that to sort out. On the short block I removed the timing set and cam to throw in a new LT4 cam and timing set. Have the new roller lifters soaking in oil to put in tomorrow. Started on the heads removing the standard rockers and springs. Going to finish putting that together tomorrow as well then the L31 is good to put back together and think about dropping it in. Got it back from the trans shop with a fresh 700R4 and HD converter. Once the engine is put together and in next sip be the AC so I can use it on power tour as no AC in June is a nope from me.

sounds like its moving right along

is that the stock LT4 cam, or the gmpp hot cam?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

AFewBricksShy posted:

The 86Philly group met up with the mid Atlantic 86 group today.

Lots of 86’s.

:smith:

Apparently, I'll hear from the body shop again this coming week.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Raluek posted:

sounds like its moving right along

is that the stock LT4 cam, or the gmpp hot cam?

The hot cam. Using off set keepers to give me a fit more installed height on the springs. Only running 1.5 rockers so should have plenty of room.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Finished up plumbing in my flex fuel sensor. My 1000cc injectors will be here Tuesday, so I'm ready for the dyno. Also, my cutouts on the exhaust weren't working. Found that the actuators were clocked incorrectly, causing the vacuum lines to rub the crash bar and wore them through. Reclocked them and put new lines on. My new drag radials should be here next week, and I bought some GTO spare wheels to make skinnies out of. Just need some frontrunners and I'm in business.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

LS6 springs, off set keepers and comp retainers all in place. Heads mocked on the block after cleaning the surfaces and new ARP bolts ran in hand right to hold it all in.

Need to get the broken bolt mount of the exhaust side, install the pushrods and rockers then flip it over to do the oil pan and rear main seal.

Splurged a little on a HEI distributor from Progression Ignition. You sync it via an app on your phone and can control the timing entirely from the app including the advance curve.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Typical Toyota door handle issues, but.... when the car was parked last night, the entire handle was there - just broken in 3 pieces.

Went outside today and found it like this... rest of the handle on the ground, door somewhat ajar, looks like they tried to yank the stereo out (2 cars were stolen from my apt complex last night, according to maintenance... they were next to where the Matrix was parked)

Oh well. Had a new handle ready for months, just been lazy. Except I didn't realize I'd have to remove the latch. :argh: I was hoping it'd be like the front door, and COROLLA walk-through videos show it's pretty simple. Alas, the Matrix requires removing the latch from inside the door. And then, because it's me, I kept missing the rod that clips into the latch from the exterior handle (and you have to hook that up by feel alone)

Both passenger side handles have now been replaced, about a year apart. When I did the front one, Amazon sent me 2, so at least I'm ready for whenever the other front one breaks. I can use that one on the rear too, so long as the rearmost part of the handle is still intact.

A neighbor with an 04 XRS approached me and asked if I wanted to buy his stock wheels (I didn't ask which Toyota they're from; he has an 04 Matrix and an 07 Corolla). This Matrix is a barebones base model, hubcaps got lost a long time ago. He has OEM Toyota alloys with ~50% worn Fuzion tires. They'd make the car look a shitload better, tires are the same size, and he wants $300. It's tempting... this thing needs front tires ASAP, rears pretty soon, and I'll be able to sell it for slightly more when that time comes. Might see if he's up to knocking a bit off if he needs a set of steelies...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 4, 2022

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

GF’s new-to-her Mustang got a quickie wash/spray wax/interior clean alongside a new cabin air filter. Good to see Ford is consistent in needing to scrunch up the filter to get it in and out.

Elantra got its Pilot Sport AS4’s back on after a long winter of X-ice 3 usage. We go skiing almost every weekend otherwise I’d have done this switch a lot sooner - it’s like driving a whole new car!

Miata got driven. I have never had so much big-truck aggression before. Not on the bikes, not in the MR2, not in a rental Corolla in Dallas. What the gently caress? For visibility’s sake alone I kind of wish I’d gotten a red one. This color blends into the road a bit too much, McBrodozer doesn’t care about the tint of blue in the right light I don’t think.

BMW got stared at. It’s on the lift for new O2 sensors so it’ll pass emissions, then a new headunit with CarPlay and maybe an LSD and seats.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Filled it up in the dark and missed the hole with a good 1/4 of a quart. Ran down the valve covers to manifolds, I hammered it pretty hard to pass someone, fwoof. I'm not sure where the cats are, but it started where the exhaust manifold bolts to the rest of the exhaust (I assume the cats aren't far).

They're not far past the manifold flange.

I went on a quest to replace burned-out lights in the Outback. None of the accessory switches to the left of the steering column (cruise on/off, fog lights, windshield wiper heat) light up with the instrument lights, and only two of them light up the "on" indicator. One of the seat heater switches doesn't light up or indicate, either, and neither the clock nor the odometer light up.

Accessory switches are easy enough. That one piece of trim pops out, then the switches come out of the trim:

4 bad bulbs. T3 (8mm base, 3mm bulb), according to what I can find, or 7219/T1 for the bare bulb without base. I got T3 LEDs so I shouldn't have to gently caress with them again.

The seat heater switches are a bit more complicated. You have to take them apart to get to the bulbs:

T1 bulbs in the rubber holders. I'll see if I can put LEDs from the T3s I bought in there. If not, I will have to get some T1s, too.

I'd like to extend a hearty gently caress you to Subaru engineers. Partly for this:

(That's as far out as the cluster comes with the wires attached.)

but mostly this:

Also as far out as that will come.

Would it have killed you to a) add a couple inches of wire , and b) put the retaining clip facing *UP*?

The gauge cluster you can at least get a wide blade trim too in there and depress the clip while twisting to separate the connector. The hazard light switch not so much.
Also, I think the hazard light switch is supposed to be illuminated, but like the seat heat switches, the bulb is not accessible, and I don't want to take that one apart.
The gauge cluster still should have had the connectors on the back so you could rotate it face down for more clearance to release the connectors. None of these were made any easier by the fact that I'm probably the first person to disconnect these in this car ever. They were all *tight*.

What do normal people do, spend $$ for new switches every time a $0.10 bulb goes out? Who designs crab with incandescent light bulbs that can't be replaced externally? I mean, Subaru, apparently.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
My partners 2001 golf decided recently that it doesn't like having the cluster lights illuminated and she didn't tell me till yesterday. Went and bought new front and rear globes for the parking light globes cause neither worked when I went to look at it last night. I'm glad I bought a big box of fuses while I was getting the globes because one of those was blown and it also takes out the cluster illumination while its at it

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It appears I've at least offered to purchase a super low mileage jellybean Taurus/Sable wagon. :downsgun: $300 handshake deal from a neighbor, with less than 90k miles. Has minor body damage (fender, door, headlamp). This is probably more than he'd get in scrap value...

:laffo:

It's a rust belt car from Ohio. You'd think I'd learn my lesson, but he's essentially selling it to me for scrap value, and hopefully I can shove it into my garage before it gets towed (tags expired 2 years ago). He hasn't been able to title it in TX due to the check engine light, but it MIGHT be old enough to get through with the CEL lit now. Even if it's not, the rundown he gave me makes me think either a large vacuum leak or a bad O2 sensor. Said it runs and drives fine, but blows some black smoke from the exhaust, so I'm leaning heavily toward a bad O2 sensor (it's been parked for almost 6 months, so it's not gonna want to start without a tickle or twenty). Also some weird shifting issues, but that could easily be a stretched kickdown cable. Worse case, I buy it, throw $200 of parts at it, then sell it to another sucker?

<90k miles, interior looks brand loving new. Needs a fender and headlight (to be perfect it'd also need a LF door and the hood, but this is a $300 car we're talking about here). I need to get the year model. I'd be more than happy to give him my car + take some cash for a swap.

Gonna call him on Friday after work and see how it drives, after I print a 7 day temporary tag of course.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Does it have the fold up rear facing seats in the trunk/hatch area? My Grandfather always had Taurus/Sable wagons, have a lot of memories of sitting in the rear facing seats while he towed his boat to the launching point to take us out on the water.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I guess there are worse ideas. But that still doesn't sound like a great purchase. It should be scrap value if it isn't titled.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

STR posted:

Also some weird shifting issues, but that could easily be a stretched kickdown cable.

This is the reddest of red flags on these cars. I can already tell you that the transmission fluid has not been replaced at the required intervals and you *might* limp it along for another 10k miles. Mostly in second gear.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I don’t think those have lockdown cables do they? I do know they are as known for transmission issues as the 3.0 Vulcan is known for headgasket failures.

I love me a cheap beater but this doesn’t sound like that great of a deal unless you’re looking for living room furniture.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Suburban Dad posted:

I guess there are worse ideas. But that still doesn't sound like a great purchase. It should be scrap value if it isn't titled.

Unless it's changed I think you need a title to scrap a vehicle (in TX) in one piece unless you sawzall it up lol

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It takes about an hour to chop a car small enough for scrap

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I don’t think those have lockdown cables do they? I do know they are as known for transmission issues as the 3.0 Vulcan is known for headgasket failures.

I love me a cheap beater but this doesn’t sound like that great of a deal unless you’re looking for living room furniture.

The Vulcan 3.0L was pretty reliable. The 3.8L (Essex) was the one with the real head gasket problems. The 3.8L was not used in the 96+ Taurus. The transmissions in those are pretty weak, and the Taurus/Sable owner community is not well known for keeping up on maintenance. I don't know if I've ever seen a guppy Taurus with working air conditioning, but I've only ever looked at bottom-of-the-barrel examples.

$300? In today's car market? Buy it, slap on a junkyard fender, get it to pass emissions without shotgunning parts on it, sell for $PROFIT$. Someone out there needs cheap wheels.

Plus its a wagon!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Coyote swap it

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Suburban Dad posted:

He has the title, in his name.. he just never transferred it to Texas when he moved here, as it wouldn't pass smog. You can't title a vehicle in Texas if it can't pass inspection requirements in your county of residence; we live in an emissions county, so the CEL being on with OBD2 is an automatic fail. There's a way to do "title only", but you're in for a world of pain if you get caught driving it (far worse than if you just ran with expired out of state tags).

But it looks like it's not happening. He changed his mind on what he wants for it (originally it was going to be not much more than scrap). Would have been an easy flip if I could track down a fender.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 9, 2022

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Top end assembled. One of the cam bolts snapped while being torqued so good QC Summit. Was able to get it out but now need to get another set before putting the timing cover on. Does it leak from every possible hole? We will see!

Also yes hot rod poser with roller rockers on a tame small block.

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012

Finally got around to a much needed wash. did a valve cover gasket and coils last week but didnt take any picture, sorry!

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Replaced not one not two not three but four rather bent wheels from the PO with four unbent wheels.

To no surprise, all of the weird vibrations and sounds are gone and the ride is smooth as …. stock. It feels like glass to me coming from what it was before.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Finally got nice sunny day. Dropped the tank on the 7.3 and popped the dents out with about 5 psi in the tank and a heat gun.

Eliminated the clogged pickup screens and installed an external pre pump filter.

Gonna attempt manifolds & gaskets tomorrow. I thought my new up pipes were leaking and then I saw that the last manifold bolt on the drivers side where the noise comes from is missing it's head.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Took the C10 out to give the new transmission a good run to make sure it was shifting at the right points and the kick down worked and that was all good. The new radiator has a port for a sensor or something which was just covered with a rubber plug and a hose clamp. After stopping for a few minutes to get a coffee I started it and drove away and the next time I stopped at a light the plug blew out throwing dirty lovely water all over the place. It was hot as I drove it home not really caring about the engine as it just confirmed to me that the head gasket has gone and is pushing it exhaust gasses into the coolant. Just nice to know I am not going to all the expense and trouble of throwing a Vortec in it without good reason.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

Just nice to know I am not going to all the expense and trouble of throwing a Vortec in it without good reason.

Extra horsepower is good enough reason anyway.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Put the A/T tires on my whip today, and put the snows away till next year.

Behold the gloriousness.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Just when I started to think PO did a good job for once; opened up the cabin air filter:

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 13, 2022

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Gah!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's me, I'm the PO fuckery!

I hardwired my radar detector (above the rear view mirror) last night in a Costco parking garage. It's not the cleanest wiring job, and I need to tidy up some wires with zip ties and maybe re-think the location of the remote mute button, but I'm really pleased with the outcome.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wow, radar detectors are still a thing? That people spend money on?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

They are if you are trying to do the cannonball. Of course most of the time you use it with WaS or whatever.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Chunjee posted:

Just when I started to think PO did a good job for once; opened up the cabin air filter:

Did you smack it against your thigh three times and reinstall it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Darchangel posted:

Wow, radar detectors are still a thing? That people spend money on?

Yeah, they get better every year and it turns out police very much still use radar.