Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When I got my one typhoon so far it was late enough I could just wetland powder my important stuff (rare seeds) and then eat the losses on the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Saxophone posted:

I’m playing RF4 and in Runa Prana. Woof. I’m using stuff that is current with what’s dropping from the things in there but I’m getting destroyed and my weapons aren’t up to snuff. I’m gonna guess this is where I need to start abusing the crafting system? I tried tossing failed dishes at a boss and it did nothing so I’m guessing that’s no longer a strategy.

I’ve done tons of suicide runs into Sharance but save for like 10 love potions, haven’t found much of use in there.

Add lots of status effect upgrades to your weapons. Even if an enemy takes one damage from your hits, poison etc will eventually kill them.

Edit: How many character events are there per love interest in RF5 anyways?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 5, 2022

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

FrickenMoron posted:

Add lots of status effect upgrades to your weapons. Even if an enemy takes one damage from your hits, poison etc will eventually kill them.

Edit: How many character events are there per love interest in RF5 anyways?

I've seen three for some of them (haven't started dating anyone just yet). The first and third were more involved, second was just a single conversation.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah Beatrice is pretty great in her character events.

Speaking of, I think I've hit a plot point that's blocking them? I'm just post Ludmilla joining and returning to the dungeon Beatrice lives in the entrance of. I'm not getting the markers to continue Priscilla's so I'm guessing the plot is blocking them.

Replying to this post from a few pages ago because I think I ran into the same issue, although it's Beatrice's event whose markers have disappeared. Did progressing the main plot unlock the character events again like you suspected?

Edit: After beating the next dungeon, the character event markers returned, and I got another nice reward besides.

GeekTheMage fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 6, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I sprinkled gigantizer of four fully-grown onions and the next day when I came back the plot was just empty--not even plowed. Does that mean the soil didn't have enough health? or was something weirder going on?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

cheetah7071 posted:

I sprinkled gigantizer of four fully-grown onions and the next day when I came back the plot was just empty--not even plowed. Does that mean the soil didn't have enough health? or was something weirder going on?

Chemicals hit the soil health hard. Ideally you want to max out all your chems at once then rehoe in a few corn to bring it back up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
hm, I tried again the next day on a different section, which seemed to have good health even after chemming it (somewhere in the 60s), and it happened again

could this be what happens when the gigantizing fails, rather than being due to soil health? in which case I just need to use more gigantizer on my third try

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
And now I discover it happened to one of my starfall crops???

like, it was fine in the morning, almost fully grown, then when I came back in the evening to do some mining/logging, it was gone

when I look at the untilled soil, it has health in the 50s. Idgi.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

cheetah7071 posted:

And now I discover it happened to one of my starfall crops???

like, it was fine in the morning, almost fully grown, then when I came back in the evening to do some mining/logging, it was gone

when I look at the untilled soil, it has health in the 50s. Idgi.

Are your animals set to work the fields? It's the only thing I can think of - they'll harvest fully grown crops.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh they are. Lol. Thanks for solving the mystery. My starfall pumpkins are safely in the shipping bin. I guess I'll try to do the giant vegetables and flowers for the quest in a field I don't have monsters working.

e: not sure how I didn't notice the pumpkins were ready but whatever. I usually handle the harvest myself so I can till and plant right after, so I forgot monsters even could do that

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I kinda liked it better when monsters had limited roles for what they can so on the farm. Like an elefun could only water crops.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
in no game did I ever bother with farm assistants just because they were a method to kill time in the first place

getting through the morning routine faster didn't seem helpful when I needed to wait a minute or two to do town things

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

in no game did I ever bother with farm assistants just because they were a method to kill time in the first place

getting through the morning routine faster didn't seem helpful when I needed to wait a minute or two to do town things

This is my stance as well. considering you can water half your field in one go with upgraded tools it just seemed faster than having to do this:

going in the barn -> scrolling through animal menu -> selecting the right option (repeat with other animals)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm really salty that RF5 has a level 99 hoe but only a level 80 watering can that is 2x2 too small to do your entire starting field in one charge.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Does upgrading tools give them a wider effective radius? :confused: I thought it just made them stronger when smacking things with them. Asking for RF4 specifically.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Silver Falcon posted:

Does upgrading tools give them a wider effective radius? :confused: I thought it just made them stronger when smacking things with them. Asking for RF4 specifically.

They get charge attacks that cover larger areas, with the higher tier tools getting more levels of charge.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Snake Maze posted:

They get charge attacks that cover larger areas, with the higher tier tools getting more levels of charge.
also this is more relevant in RF4 than RF5, because if you charge up the axe/hammer you can spam the button for 3x the big radius hits in a row (instantly breaking the weaker boulders/stumps)

in rf5 they removed this entirely afaik and you just... charge to do 1 hit to everything in range for no reason

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

To add on to the above (higher tier tools = more charge levels = larger radius, so bronze = 1 charge for 2x2 where silver might be 2 charges up to 4x4 area, etc.), most tools don't really get stronger uncharged.

A better hammer is incredibly important not because it does more damage, but because a higher tier hammer mines metal more effectively (a cheap hammer might only give scrap iron when mining a silver node, while a silver hammer will give mostly silver when mining a silver node, for instance).

Better sickles increase the maximum level of seed that they can harvest (a silver sickle will only improve a seed up to level 6, for instance, so if you chop a level 5 crop you get a level 6 seed, but chop a level 7 crop and you still only get a level 7 seed).

Rods I'm not sure about - the ability to catch fish is some combination of rod and fishing skill, but charging a rod attracts fish from a much larger radius.

Watering Can/Hoe/Axe are really just about getting bigger AOEs in RF4. In RF5, better axes and hammers have a chance to give 2 material lumber or material stone per whack instead of 1, which is a nice perk.

For me, I always upgrade tools in the order of Hammer > Sickle/Watering Can > everything else. The hammer lets you mine more ore to upgrade the rest, the sickle is great for upgrading crops better, the watering can aoe size is incredibly important, and the rest are more just quality of life upgrades that you should still do ASAP, but can wait a few days.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dirk the Average posted:

Better sickles increase the maximum level of seed that they can harvest (a silver sickle will only improve a seed up to level 6, for instance, so if you chop a level 5 crop you get a level 6 seed, but chop a level 7 crop and you still only get a level 7 seed).

Should be noted that higher quality soil (Greenifier) can naturally level a crop as it's growing which can be combined with the sickle effect to skip one or more levels. Also can bypass the softcap of the sickle for seeds but at that point you might as well harvest the crop itself and ship. i.e. Even a basic starter sickle can harvest lv10 seeds if the crop itself is lv10 but it won't go from 9 to 10 without soil quality.

Quality especially affects slow growing crops and can easily go up 5+ levels in a single cycle with x2.0 qual.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 7, 2022

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
How's everyone with the performance issues ~2weeks in? My work randomly game me amazon bux and I've always been interested in the RF series. I usually play handheld.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The framerate is rear end and the load times are too but I'm still having fun to continue playing. Just make sure the game is installed on the switch' internal storage, not SD card. Helps a tiny bit with load times.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrickenMoron posted:

The framerate is rear end and the load times are too but I'm still having fun to continue playing. Just make sure the game is installed on the switch' internal storage, not SD card. Helps a tiny bit with load times.
This, plus I've had three crashes. But it's like... fine. I mean it really just got me to want to play RF4 again, and I will never replay RF5 when I can just do that. But it gives me hope for RF6 and it's not bad, just not good.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Chekans 3 16 posted:

How's everyone with the performance issues ~2weeks in? My work randomly game me amazon bux and I've always been interested in the RF series. I usually play handheld.

It does not run well. It doesn't particularly play well either, but neither issues are outright bad.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 7, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If performance is a deal-breaker you'll never play this game, but on the other hand I can't imagine the mindset it takes to not play a game you think you'd enjoy because of some frames

Its only really bad right when you leave your house the first time each morning. Tbh I tend to just mentally file that as the loading screen being secretly ten seconds longer but you get to walk around during those ten seconds.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
After following the tips (Save to internal storage, turn off dynamic resolution, set text speed to slow) my game experience is pretty smooth except for load times. Docked only mind. After the first few hours I can't say I notice any issues anymore.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I figure this is the best thread to ask this: what's the best River King game? I've always been interested in the concept of a fishing RPG.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zeron posted:

After following the tips (Save to internal storage, turn off dynamic resolution, set text speed to slow) my game experience is pretty smooth except for load times. Docked only mind. After the first few hours I can't say I notice any issues anymore.
Oh, for what it's worth I was handheld only, did two of these (text speed fast), and aside from the crashes I never really had complaints about the hiccups, they were just noticeable.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Wish my forging skill would raise faster, bleh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The worst period I found was the level 60-75 range. The actual crafts all require annoying items and there's very few items that have an upgrade level in that range

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I ended up just ignoring it for a while until I got enough random skill up by harvesting to make the platinum farm tools after drinking a relax tea, and then made several dozen platinum hoes

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
For RF5 crafting grind (exploit) You can just take the highest level recipe you have, replace the ingredients (if you have any) with scrap metal, and then just fail. You still get XP for it so you do as big a batch as you can (IE, max out crafting amount to 50 or whatever) and you can keep reusing the same scrap metal over and over. Very easy grind, once it starts slowing down you go get some bread and get higher level recipes. Works with every crafting skill, though cooking is a bit annoying since it changes it to failed dishes that don't stack, but you can grind cooking by spamming crop stuff for profit anyway. Combine with the 25% growth bath and heart pendant for max gains and just go take a bath once you run out of HP and you can get them all extremely high in no time at all.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 7, 2022

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I figure this is the best thread to ask this: what's the best River King game? I've always been interested in the concept of a fishing RPG.

I've only personally played two on the GB/C that got released in English, which are both very simple games and quick to beat. Nothing special about them, honestly. Don't really know a lot of people who have played A Wonderful Journey (PS2) or Mystic Valley (DS), so haven't heard anything about either's quality.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the biggest grind with postgame crafting seems to be not getting the skills leveled but getting recipe bread+s, tbh. Doing a full run of the postgame dungeon to get 1-2 of each one per day is pretty tedious. Is there another source?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

the biggest grind with postgame crafting seems to be not getting the skills leveled but getting recipe bread+s, tbh. Doing a full run of the postgame dungeon to get 1-2 of each one per day is pretty tedious. Is there another source?

The final 2 plot bosses can also drop recipe bread+ and they're very quick.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

The final 2 plot bosses can also drop recipe bread+ and they're very quick.
Final two? Holy poo poo the drop rate on the penultimate must be insanely low. Never had the final one not drop one, but never got anything but ice cream from that jerk before it.

(well that's a lie I also got the exclusive drop once, and shipped it, then gave up farming it because lmao.)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KariOhki posted:

I've only personally played two on the GB/C that got released in English, which are both very simple games and quick to beat. Nothing special about them, honestly. Don't really know a lot of people who have played A Wonderful Journey (PS2) or Mystic Valley (DS), so haven't heard anything about either's quality.

Anyone play the newer ones? The last one on DS didn’t review well but game reviews of that era were especially pretty bad so I don’t know.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

cheetah7071 posted:

The worst period I found was the level 60-75 range. The actual crafts all require annoying items and there's very few items that have an upgrade level in that range

For forging and crafting I just make a cheap item (such as a short sword with 1 iron) and upgrade it with random garbage (scrap metal, iron, etc). You still get skill relatively quickly even at a high level. It's how I got enough skill to make my platinum tools.

If you're playing handheld, the touchscreen works in menus. You can position your hand to tap out the upgrades really quickly.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Final two? Holy poo poo the drop rate on the penultimate must be insanely low. Never had the final one not drop one, but never got anything but ice cream from that jerk before it.

(well that's a lie I also got the exclusive drop once, and shipped it, then gave up farming it because lmao.)

https://www.neoseeker.com/rune-factory-5/Enemy_List#The_Fathomless_Dread lists the drop rate as 2% for Recipe Bread+. Honestly, drop rates for stuff suck. I was trying to get Electro Crystal (0.5%) from Aries, but as you can see the drop rate is abysmal and using seal on that boss is just not worth it. Better of killing it and reloading over and over again, because its seal window it terrible.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So I'm not wrong that they massively lowered all drop rates in this game because of the seal mechanic? That definitely was a terrible decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Maguoob posted:

https://www.neoseeker.com/rune-factory-5/Enemy_List#The_Fathomless_Dread lists the drop rate as 2% for Recipe Bread+. Honestly, drop rates for stuff suck. I was trying to get Electro Crystal (0.5%) from Aries, but as you can see the drop rate is abysmal and using seal on that boss is just not worth it. Better of killing it and reloading over and over again, because its seal window it terrible.

I'm not sure that this table is accurate. It lists some monsters that produce items as not producing items (mostly monsters that don't produce an item every day), and unless I have been absolutely and astoundingly lucky, I don't think their drop rates for recipe bread are correct at 2%. Drop rates are definitely low though, and I'm currently working on happy rings and other such things to try to compensate for that.