Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Podima posted:

Feels kind of weird/arbitrary and frankly out of character for the captain to wake up Yoshiki just to go get Jordan, kind of an odd writing move?

i think the implication is meant to be that she woke up Yoshiki first because she views him like a brother, but he ended up not being as helpful as she needed so she asked him to go get Jordan instead :v:

edit: update on last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Frankly, the exact winning strat for this depends heavily on how the decision submission works.
The optimal solution here, is that for each cycle exactly one pair is allowed to breed. Since Dai announces stuff per-round, this guarantees that you know who the vampire is, the second a pair fails to breed. This ensures the vampire, who, of course, will be Kimiko and if we accept the inevitable offer, us, will be outed real good. Ofc if the crew is not allowed to interfere with vote submission, welp, boo tad.
For the vamp, there is really no obviously good solo strat - assuming everyone breeds on every cycle we go
1 v + 6 humans = 1 vamp baby and 4 human babies (one human would need to stay out, since we have 7)
2 v +5 humans = 2 vamp babies (3 total) +2 human babies (6 total). (one human must also sit this one out)
4 v+3 humans = 3 v babies (6 total) + 0 human babies (6 total). (one vamp gets to sit out)

But that's under 100% optimal conditions, where we get the absolute maximum of vampire breeding. Even a single human breeding in round 3, swings it to the human favor. This means you kinda HAVE to take a partner in crime if you don't want to roll the dice. Also i think the ties are not explained? This is a bit weird.
The scoring is a bit unclear TBH, since we are tabulating vampire kids, but the end score says it counts vampires? Is it kids+vampires or just vamps or what?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Regallion posted:

rules questions

Basically, there's three possible outcomes:

1. a human + a human = 2 points for humans
2. a human + a vampire = 1 more vampire, no point gain for humans
3. a vampire + a vampire = nothing happens

the vampires' tally is how many total vampires there are, whereas the humans' tally is how many points are generated over the course of the three rounds. there are a couple of specific rules to note- you can't pair with a person twice no matter what, and you can only pair once per round, which means that each round there will always be at least one person who either cannot or will not partner up since there are 7 people in the game in total. Additionally, if the vampire chooses a partner, the first round is "taken up" by them pairing with that person and declaring they'll be partners, but it DOES still count as a point gain for the vampire side- the reason for the partner ruling is that it automatically removes the 'person with least personal point contribution is killed' penalty from that person if the vampire side wins, so it's a way to guarantee a person will survive if you can then go on to claim victory.

at the end of the round dai will announce the point totals but she won't say 'this pair failed to breed', she'll just say 'X babies for humans, Y created for vampires', so you would have to do a bit more logic to sus out who the vampire would be if you were participating directly.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Podima posted:

Feels kind of weird/arbitrary and frankly out of character for the captain to wake up Yoshiki just to go get Jordan, kind of an odd writing move?

Look, she can at least make sure that one ship is sailed succesfully

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Looks like we're playing mafia now.

Can humans turned vampire infect other people? I'm guessing yes, because otherwise it would be impossible for the vampire to win.

Assuming the most breeding possible in the first round, that would leave the group at two vampires vs four human children, or one vampire vs six human children. In this situation, it would be advisable for the humans to not mate at all for the next two rounds, meaning they would win by default. While it's never directly stated, I'll assume that the initial vampire counts for the total, otherwise you could just refuse to play and force a tie, which is not covered by the rules and, worse, would bore D.A.I..

The risk comes with the vampire's willing partner. Assuming the vampire finds a partner and both of them breed with a human, that's four vampires vs two human children. In this situation, the remaining three humans could still win if the one that hadn't bred in the first round bred with the remaining two humans in the following round, but since not even the players themselves would know what they were, it's pretty much impossible. So basically, if the vampire can first find one person to join them and then include both vampires in the breeding group, they have almost certainly won no matter what happens. That's two big "ifs" though. Vladimir would pull this off if Melody was the vampire to ensure her survival. He might just sacrifice himself if he's it.

What would happen if everybody was turned by the third round? With the above scenario, it's definitely possible. D.A.I. said the human that created the least human babies will be executed. I'm guessing humans-turned-vampires still count as humans for this, meaning that whoever is turned in the first round will lose. I'm guessing it's a die roll if there's two?

A vampire working alone has a much harder time. If they can get into the first breeding round, it's two vampires vs four human children. Second round, in the best case scenario both they and their first partner will be included again, making four vampires vs six human children. If either vampire sits this one out, it's three vampires vs eight human children, and the vampires can't catch up. In order for the vampire to win, all three of the pairs for the third round have to create a new vampire.

In short, assuming the humans breed as much as possible, they are more likely than not to win against a single vampire. But if there's two, they have pretty much lost, no matter what they do. Anything else boils down to chance. Starting as a vampire is definitely the riskiest option, especially since you only have a few hours to ensure your victory.

edit: Oh, if the partner gets turned during the first round as part of the breeding, that's actually more difficult. In that case, the vampires could make sure to get the four vs six outcome in the second round and also make sure to pick victims who have already paired with each other to avoid a vampire+vampire pairing, but would still have to rely on chance for the third round, since two of the four vampires wouldn't be in on the plan. So it's a higher chance than if the vampire works alone, but in no way the guaranteed outcome I thought it was.

Cloacamazing! fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 4, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

This is unwinnable for a solo vampire.
We have 7 people = at most 3 pairs per round.

Round 1: 1 vampire pair and 2 human pairs = 2 vampires and 4 babies
Round 2 and 3: All humans refuse to pair up (rules said you "may" breed, not that you have to) --> automatic win because no new vampires are created.

e: too slow, see above for more details

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
In that case it's unwinnable for two vampires as well. If we assume that turning the partner takes up the vampire's breeding attempt, the outcome of the first round will always be 2 vs 4, no matter what. So the only ones who have an interest in breeding after this would be the vampires. And if any crew member does the math on it, it's impossible for the vampire couple to win.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Maybe the 'becoming a partner vampire' thing happens before the first round? :shrug:
But there is no reason why you would want to, because all humans win against a solo vampire, so no rational human player should agree to become a partner.

Which means Jordan will probably be the vampire and need to figure out a way to convince someone.
Or Melody is the vampire and her father is trying to save her.
With Beatrix gone I don't think there is anyone else who would be willing to risk losing to maybe save themselves and a specific other person (the initial vampire) instead of picking guaranteed survival.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Do you think Kimiko's mom programmed all these games, or did Dai come up with them herself? :birdthunk:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Tamba posted:

Maybe the 'becoming a partner vampire' thing happens before the first round? :shrug:
But there is no reason why you would want to, because all humans win against a solo vampire, so no rational human player should agree to become a partner.
I read it as though you can secretly partner up before the first round, so you're still available to infect after Round 1. At this point, since you both know you're vampires, you would therefore not breed with each other and each try to breed with a human instead.

In which case, the score at the end of round 1 would be 4 vampires to 2 human babies and the human side is in deep poo poo: You have to have the human who sat out round 1 mate (since he's the only one who's confirmed 'clean'), but are basically doing a 2-in-6 chance that you pick a fellow human (to tie the score 4-4) rather than a vampire (and be down 5-2). And oh by the way, this assumes that after seeing the results from round 1, people aren't like "humans are screwed; I don't know if I'm a vampire yet but I definitely want to be on the winning side, so I'm going to mate again".

It'd be quite a gamble though, because if the person instead goes "no, I'm not becoming a partner vampire and I'm going to go tell everybody about this", you're basically dead before Round 1 even begins.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

content warning: implication of child death

[BGM: With Fear: Hope]
Alright, now, the reason why you are here.

Ah yes, I am very interested to hear why.

Just over a week ago, I made the choice to stay on course towards the black hole.

Yes, I remember, and your argument made sense, so what is the problem?

We will be at the closest point to the black hole tomorrow. And...

The problem suddenly dawned on me.

And Shizuka... our navigator...

Exactly.

Who will navigate us past the black hole?

I am the only one left with any experience with ship navigation. As Captain, I have had basic training, but nowhere near the level required to navigate this successfully.

Couldn't Ai help?

The captain shot me a face that made me instantly regret my question.

And if Dai decides to visit during the navigation?

Um. Yes. Silly me.

I am the only one who can attempt this, but I am not overly confident. People are already dying on my watch. I don't want to sentence the entire crew to death at once.

Captain, I am sure that even with your minimal experience, you will be able to navigate us through. You should easily be able to avoid event horizon, so the only thing we will need to deal with is time dilation- but even then, the difference shouldn't be observable for us.

Time dilation?

To put simply, time passes slower for those closer to a black hole than those further away from it. So, a day to us might in fact be a year for others further away. But theoretically, we shouldn't even notice.

The captain started looking even more concerned. Nothing I was saying was helping here, maybe I was making it worse. My father always said that people are like parrots. They love their own reflections, and their own voices. Maybe this is what he meant? Here goes.

*ahem* Captain- 'would you rather have a 100 percent chance of death or a 50 percent chance?' Even with you navigating, it isn't ideal, but at least then we have a chance of surviving.

The captain's worried demeanor quickly melted away and she turned her gaze to me, smirking.

Wise words, Jordan. I wonder where you got them from?

But you are right, and so was I. Not chancing the black hole is a death sentence in itself.

See, all better! No point worrying about what we can't control- we either die from a black hole or a psychotic A.I. System, both noble deaths.

The captain took a moment looking stern before breaking into a laugh.

Hahaha, noble indeed. Thank you for the laugh- and your counsel.

You are most welcome; now, if you will excuse me, I have a bed awaiting me.

I made my way back to my quarters, where It was waiting for me, like a loyal friend waiting to embrace me. It was good to be back in bed.

…...

[BGM: Drink Deep of the Universe]

Hours later I woke up, and was again feeling quite refreshed. These mid-morning wake-ups were clearly good for me. I made my way out of bed and headed to the Lab to get started on my day's work.

…

The next 'Deletion Game' was less than thirty-six hours away, and I still hadn't made the progress I needed to solve either the Dai crisis or the resources crisis. I sat, staring at my parents' work for hours, holding the pocket watch in my right hand, randomly pressing the buttons.

Come on, science, pleeeeease give me a hint. Or even a sign.

Yahoooo~

Really, science? This is not a helpful sign!

Who are you talking to?

No one, I'm just getting frustrated that I am still getting nowhere with my parents' work.

Is there anything I can do to help, bestie?

If you can solve the resource problem and, in turn, the Dai thing, I would be truly grateful.

Mmmm, I can't do that...

I didn't expe-

Before I could finish my sentence, Yoshiki had whipped himself to be behind me and started massaging my shoulders.

But I can give a mean massage!

It felt... amazing. I had never had someone massage me before.

Yoshiki... this... is...

Shhh, just enjoy the massage.

Yoshiki began humming along as he was rubbing his thumbs across my shoulders and down the base of my neck. I could feel tension I didn't even know I had leaving my body.

Now, here is the real question...

I tried to make any noise that was questioning, but it came out as nonsense.

Blerg?

Hahaha, that good, eh? Anyway, would you like me to continue, or would you like to get back to work?

Um...

I also am amazing on feet, just in case you were wondering.

:cripes:

ANYWAY, this is still a hangout choice, but since at this point we're locked into a specific path (and it's pretty obvious whose we're on :v:), it's simply the choice of whether to spend time together or not. That said, there is no benefit to saying no to him, as it immediately moves to the next scene after he leaves, so we're going to be asking him to continue.

Please continue magic hands.

I was not about to turn this down. I hadn't made any progress with the Dai or resource situations, so I might as well enjoy what may be my last evening on the Everett.

Seriously, Yoshiki, your hands are magic.

Thank you, Jordan.

How did you get so good?

You want to know the secret of my magic?

Yes please!

If I told you my secrets, I would have to kill you.

Hahaha, I don't think Dai would appreciate that, that's her job!

Hahahaha!

But seriously, my mother taught me when I was younger. She said that one of the benefits of having a child is having legal slave labor.

Sounds... delightful?

She really was! Since her death, though, the only person I massage is Kimi.

I mean the captain- but don't tell her I told you that, either!

What? Why not?

It took me years to finally convince her to let me give her a massage, and now it is like her guilty pleasure, that is a secret between us...

I promise I won't tell anyone... if...

Yoshiki stopped in his tracks. I could hear his hear beating faster behind me, as if panicking I would tell his secret.

If?

If we continue to keep this our little secret, too? I'm thinking weekly...

I felt Yoshiki let out a sigh of relief.

Deal, bestie!

We spent the rest of the evening together. After that massage, I was as relaxed as anyone could be when death was potentially looming a mere twenty-four hours away.

…

I woke up suddenly, as if my body clock had adjusted to my new schedule.

drat it, Yoshiki! This is your fault!

I rolled over to check the time on the tablet. I was esteimating 4 a.m something, when I noticed the pocket watch was glowing a vivid green.

The pocket watch!

This was finally the breakthrough I had been waiting for! I jumped out of bed frantically, grasping the pocket watch in my hands, which were shaking slightly.

It's green! GREEN! Moment of truth- do I press the buttons or not?

So, while I was technically telling the truth last update when I said we were locked into a path, I never said that we wouldn't encounter any more choices that could alter the path that we're on. That said, hey, Jordan's been trying to figure out this pocket watch for weeks now, we should give him this one and press the button.

What's the worst that could happen? :v:

…

…

…

[BGM: The Aftermath of Bravery]

I awoke, gasping desperately in the thin air. Where was I? Why was it so drat hard to breathe? I seemed to be lying on the cold floor of my quarters. Looking around, I could see the door was open, meaning the room wasn't locked down. That was weird. Fearing the life support systems were damaged, my instinct was to get to the Medical Bay and grab an oxygen tank, before making my way to the Engineering Bay to see the status of the life support.

Depending on the remaining oxygen levels, I could have had as little as sixty seconds before I became unconscious. I ran as quickly as I could through the hallways towards the Medical Bay. But when I got to the door, it was locked.

Ai?! Dai?!

I shouted in panic, but no avail.

I suddenly heard a noise behind me.

???: Monkey?

I turned to see Melody standing behind me, crying, holding onto her dinosaur Fred. She was connected to an oxygen tank.

Monkey... we ran out of air.

I looked at her tank and could see that she was also almost out of air also, maybe five minutes tops. I quickly patted my pockets, looking for the pocket watch. I didn't seem to have it.

This was the end of the line.

I took Melody in my arms, hugging her tightly, and used the last of my breath to say one final thing.

Everything will be okay, Monkey is here.

I sat hugging her tightly, with her head in my chest as I struggled to hide my dying moments. There was no need to panic her, she had clearly suffered enough. At least her last moments wouldn't be spent alone, and neither would mine for that matter.

JUMP ENDING – YOSHIKI (M SIDE)

Mix. fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 27, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

multiverse hates Jordan, news at 11

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Imagine getting the power to travel to parallel universes and you end up in the universe with no oxygen on the first try.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

That... was quite sudden and abrupt.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
um?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I'm guessing that's a dimension where Melody was the only survivor of the death game? Everybody has been trying to keep her alive for as long as possible, which is completely natural, but also she is the crew member least equipeed to handle the ship on her own.

(I'm guessing Jordan is dead because he doesn't have the pocket watch anymore, meaning he gave it to someone as a memento.)

That reminds me, Jordan had a dream where Katashi died and it sounded as if Yoshiki had a dream where Jordan died. I wonder if those were both from this timeline as well. In which case, don't timeline jump if other people dream about your death.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Another option is it's a universe where everyone rebelled against in Dai--shutting off the oxygen does seem to be her go-to threat for keeping the crew in line, after all.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

alright, two things to mention here briefly:

starting next week this LP's gonna move to a M/W/F update schedule since I hope to have a second LP starting next week and don't wanna burn myself out :v: Figure this won't matter to most people but wanted to mention it nonetheless

the second thing is the more pertinent one, which is that we are going to be reaching an ending here soon and therefore need to vote on what path to take next- we'll be hopping back over to the F side, and going back to Logiship; like with M!Jordan, there are three paths leading out of that round (ignoring the fourth where Jordan shoots themselves in the game), so it's up to you all whether we take the left, middle, or right path :eng101:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Left.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Right.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
:goleft:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Middle. Hopefully FJordan won't end up in the timeline where Beatrix went all Clover onto the crew or something of the sort.

Edit: Also forgot to say, be careful! Doing 1 LP is a lot of work, I couldn't possibly deal doing multiple (even if you managed!)

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 6, 2022

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Left. Hopefully we'll get the timeline where Beatrix goes all Clover on the crew :getin:

(Take care of yourself, OP!)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I Like Right

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Well, whatever path we take I hope there's still enough oxygen left.

Good luck with the new LP, Mix!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

mycelia posted:

Hopefully we'll get the timeline where Beatrix goes all Clover on the crew :getin:

Is there a timeline where Beatrix and Jordan fall in love and they go all Clover on the crew together? :v:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
We're jumping between dimensions, we could just get Clover on the crew.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Well. Uh. Who could have guessed pushing the button could've led us to a timeline where the ship's oxygen systems seem to have failed completely? :smith: Let's go back and this time, let's not push it, because we already have other concerns on our plate.

I just couldn't... I... I took a deep breath. I finally had the opportunity of a lifetime, and yet I was erring on the side of caution. I needed to talk to someone about this- to show someone the watch. Who better to lift my spirits than Yoshiki?

Upon arriving at his quarters, I buzzed his intercom and heard the doorbell ring inside his room. Moments later, Yoshiki came springing through his door.

BESTIE!

Argh, why are you so excited? It's like 4 a.m.!

Yes it is! Which is why I'm even more excited!

I'm confused.

You wouldn't be at my door at 4 a.m. unless something awesome and amazing is happening!

Huh... that's some pretty sound reasoning there.

YES! YOSHIKI IS RIGHT!

Hahaha, yes, Yoshiki is! Why are you so excited?

I'm not right that often, you know!

Aww, come on! You aren't wrong that often, either.

Yoshiki looked at me dead on.

Jordan, don't lie to your best friend.

Hahaha, okay. I promise. Anyway, the reason I'm here....

Gah, I'm so excited! I wonder why you're here?

Well, if you calmed down for a moment, I'll tell you!

Yoshiki looked at me like an excited puppy begging for his new favorite toy.

This...

I pulled the glowing watch out of my pocket and dangled it in front of Yoshiki.

Wooooah.

Whoa, indeed! I have finally had a breakthrough!

Can I touch it?

No. But not because I don't trust you- I just don't trust the watch.

It doesn't look that evil to me!

We'll be seeing all three, starting with the top.

And what exactly does an 'evil' watch look like?

Well... I think it would have a moustache.

A what?

Like... the watch... would have a moustache.

Why would a watch need a moustache?

Isn't that obvious?

Um...?

Cause he's evil!

I looked at Yoshiki, confused.

Are you having the same conversation as me, bestie? Hahaha.

I decided to leave it alone. At least now I knew to be cautious of watches... with moustaches?

Next, the middle option.

It's not, I'm just concerned about how it works.

Why?

If I don't know how it works, I don't know what to expect or how I should prepare.

I guess that makes sense.

For example, how could a watch physically transport me anywhere?

Yoshiki suddenly gasped.

What if the watch has, like... lasers? And then it cuts you into millions of tiny pieces, before carrying you to some other place, and then it stitches you back together!

…

But that... is fairly unlikely. Isn't it?

I hope so.

And lastly, the bottom option.

I just don't know what to do with it now.

Isn't this good news though?

Look, it is good, but-

But what?

I... I just don't know what to do, and to be honest...

Yoshiki looked on sympathetically.

I'm scared.

Yoshiki smiled, almost as if he was expecting me to say that.

It's okay, Bestie! We all get scared sometimes.

Yeah, but it's not a helpful feeling right now!

That's where you're wrong! Fear is always helpful.

I'm listening...

Fear keeps people humble.

That's it?

Hahaha, it's that simple! Fear of the unknown ensures we are cautious, and live to fight another day! And fear... it makes us nicer to each other.

When I first found it, I thought about pressing the button, but didn't.

I think that was the right thing to do! Especially if you don't know!

Is it really, though? What if it's the answer to all our problems?

Jordan, listen to me. I'm an engineer. I don't grab wires when I don't know if they're live or not.

This isn't exactly the same.

Hahaha, no! It's waaaaay worse! You aren't even sure if being electrocuted to death is the worst possibility.

Okay, okay! Point taken.

Yoshiki smiled, proud of himself.

So, what are you going to do, then?

I think that... I'm gonna think more about it before making any decisions.

Sounds like a great approach there, bestie!

I nodded at Yoshiki thankfully before returning to my quarters. Once back, I sat on the end of my bed, contemplating the watch in my hands.

If my parents' research doesn't give me any clues on how it works, or the possible consequences, how will I ever know?

Maybe they never knew either. Maybe that was why the information was so limited. Maybe they never got past the trial phase. Time passed unnoticed by me, as I was lost in my own thoughts. The ship's PA interrupted my train of thought, with Dai's voice ringing high-pitched through it.

[BGM: Ad Astra Per Aspera]
The itsy-bitsy spider, climbed up the Everett's... oh, is this on? How embarrassing! *ahem* Good morning! I need you all to confine your sweet selves to your quarters for the time being, so that I may come and inform you all of your roles in the new Deletion Game!

Beatrix and Nik-

Oh, wait, sharing a room is no longer an issue. Ignore that guff. Hahaha, see you all soon!

Like I didn't have enough on my plate already with the pocket watch- thanks, Dai. Moments later, Dai poofed unceremoniously into my room.

Ding dong, ding dong!

Are you my doorbell, now?

You like it? I'm thinking of releasing a DLC pack of my voice for use as an electronic door bell.

Why would anyone pay for you to say 'ding dong'?

Hey! My DLC is more than just 'ding dong'! It also includes such classics as 'There's someone at the door! Shall I deal with them?' and everyone's favorite, 'By pressing the doorbell you have agreed to allow me to delete you!'. Yay me!

I stared in amazement at how easily Dai amused herself.

*ahem* That is the end of my business presentation. Are you interested in funding my DLC?

Um, how much is it?

Oh... um... huh. Well, this is embarrassing.

What is?

I wasn't expecting you, or anyone actually, to support my business ventures, so I never worked out how much I needed.

Hahaha, so even you thought it would fail!

Dai quickly shifted away from her playful demeanor, reminding me again of the seriousness of the situation.

Might I remind you that I alone choose if you live or die?

My bad... oh, glorious Dai.

That's better! Now, for the reason I'm here- your role allocation in today's Deletion Game: Vampire Children! Congratulations, Jordan!

I'm the vampire?

No, buuuuut it does make me ecstatic that you want to be! Nothing makes me prouder to be your AI system than an equal to my unquenchable bloodlust.

So, I'm not the vampire?

Your listening skills could definitely use some work, Jordan. You are not the vampire.

Alright, thank you Dai.

You are most welcome, Jordan! Now, I must be off to inform the others!

Dai blew me a kiss before disappearing. Ten minutes later, the PA system started blaring out a new announcement.

Thank you all for your cooperation! You are now free to lounge around as you please. The game will begin in two hours! Gooooood luuuuuuck~

I sat, overwhelmed by the decisions that lay before me.

Pocket watch... Deletion Game... watch... Game...

The Deletion Game was a much more pressing matter. In fact, it would be occurring in less than two hours. I put the pocket watch on my bedside table and focused all of my attention on the Game at hand.

If I'm going to survive this round, I need to do my best to weed out the vampire!

I decided that my first port of call should be Yoshiki. After all, he was the person I was closest to on the ship. I arrived at his quarters and he greeted me immediately...

...and so did the captain.

Jordan! I'm so glad you came!

Good morning, Jordan.

Oh, sorry! I didn't know the captain was here- I don't want to interrupt you!

No no, this is perfect!

Perfect?

Yes! I was just telling the captain my plan, and now we can tell you!

You have a plan?

Yup! And the captain here is on board! So now we just need you to be as well!

I wasn't sure what he was planning, but I was about to find out.

Jordan, take a seat!

Yoshiki directed me to take a seat on the couch. I obliged.

Jordan, I'm the vampire.

Wait, really?

I know, right? I wasn't expecting it, but looks like I won the lottery!

I don't think being a vampire can be compared to winning the lottery?

Jordan, I have already tried to explain that to him, to no avail.

Anyway...

The captain and I turned our attention back to Yoshiki.

So, the plan is for you and I to start as Bonnie and Clyde, and then, in the last round, I breed with the captain- ensuring she has enough points to not lose when we win!

Huh, that actually sounds like a pretty good idea. I just have one question.

What's that?

Why don't you and the captain be the Bonnie and Clyde? And I be bred with last?

Well, not only do I want to partner with you, but partnering with you first allows me to show the captain that you can be trusted!

I looked over at the captain, who confirmed what Yoshiki was saying.

He is correct. I was, and still am, wary about trusting you; but he is adamant.

I get it. I would likely take the same stance if I were you.

The captain smiled at me, impressed with my sound reasoning.

Thank you for your understanding.

So, what do you say? Join me as my Clyde?

That's right- we're actually allowed to refuse here! :eng101: This is actually another branching point of sorts, similar to when we were given the option of using the watch or not... so first, let's see what happens if we reject his offer.

Thank you for the offer, but...

I could see Yoshiki starting to tear up.

I told you he could not be trusted!

It's not that... it's just... I don't like the odds. I won't tell anyone, promise!

Allow me to escort you out and back to your Quarters.

I could see Yoshiki had started crying, and I felt terrible, but... The captain stood up, and motioned for me to do the same. It was time for me to leave.

I followed the captain out of Yoshiki's quarters and headed towards my own. We walked in silence.

Well, here are my quarters.

Very well. I trust that you won't divulge Yoshiki's secret to any of the crew.

I promise captain! I'm not partnering with him, but I care about Yoshiki, and I won't tell a soul!

I know you won't.

The captain smiled and nodded before walking away back down the Hallway. I made my way into my quarters, taking a seat at the end of my bed, reflecting on whether or not I made the right decision turning down Yoshiki.

…

[BGM: Ad Astra Per Aspera]

Awww, why so down, Jordan?

Oh, Dai, you scared me!

You don't know the half of it.

What?

Ship Broadcast: Quarters Four is now in lockdown.

Wait, what?! What are you doing?

Me? Oh, um... consider it a favor to a friend.

Ship Broadcast: Warning: Oxygen to Quarters Four has now been disabled.

I haven't lost the game!

No, but you're about to lose something a lot more important.

I started to struggle to breathe; the air was thinning, and so was my ability to concentrate.

[BGM: The Aftermath of Bravery]
But... why? Whose... favor?

Dai leant in real close, whispering in my ear.

The captains and I are more intertwined than perhaps you believe~

Was this Kimiko's doing? Why did she say...

Cap... tains?

The last image I saw was Dai, smiling peacefully, as I fought to stay conscious.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

the railroad tracks are starting to get a bit visible huh

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I’m sorry, what? :suspense:

Also, at least we know where the doomed (?) timeline redirected us to… probably.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Ok time for crab :tinfoil:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Quackles posted:

I’m sorry, what? :suspense:

Also, at least we know where the doomed (?) timeline redirected us to… probably.

Nah, that timeline seemed to be a "everybody dies" sort of thing, this one is just Dai being an rear end in a top hat.

Also raise your bets on Dai everyone:

a)She's actually Kimiko's mother in an AI personality

b)She's actually Kimiko's dead sister ALA Megaman BN

c)She's actually Kimiko's subconcious manifested as AI

d)She's lying and messing with us :v:

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

yoshiki is so annoying i am starting to think he is the mastermind and it's all a cover for his evil machinations

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cardinale posted:

yoshiki is so annoying i am starting to think he is the mastermind and it's all a cover for his evil machinations

Thank you, I was wondering if I was the only one who didn't really care for his over the top style!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Leraika posted:

the railroad tracks are starting to get a bit visible huh

I'm guessing it's like this after committing to most routes. You can really only program so many branches.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mix. posted:

Jordan, listen to me. I'm an engineer. I don't grab wires when I don't know if they're live or not.

This isn't exactly the same.

Hahaha, no! It's waaaaay worse! You aren't even sure if being electrocuted to death is the worst possibility.

Surprisingly good advice from Yoshiki here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Nah, that timeline seemed to be a "everybody dies" sort of thing, this one is just Dai being an rear end in a top hat.

Also raise your bets on Dai everyone:

a)She's actually Kimiko's mother in an AI personality

b)She's actually Kimiko's dead sister ALA Megaman BN

c)She's actually Kimiko's subconcious manifested as AI

d)She's lying and messing with us :v:

Oohoohoo. I'm a big fan of both A and B.