Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
As someone who is way more familiar with modern webcomics and cartoons than traditional western comic art, it's really funny to see people treat Heart of the City's art as so odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

somepartsareme posted:

As someone who is way more familiar with modern webcomics and cartoons than traditional western comic art, it's really funny to see people treat Heart of the City's art as so odd.

I find the noses off-putting, the artist can only draw like four expressions, and I'm sick to death of comics about pop culture fandom

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Heart of the City just basically looks like a modern webcomic/a lot of kids' cartoons, to me? And I'm enjoying seeing it, even if it's mostly just kinda milquetoast. I probably would have enjoyed it a lot when I was a tween.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
milquetoast comics from 1920 are only more interesting to us, in comparison, because they depict banalities that have been scoured from our lives by the hands of time

rae/nancy/heart/trail are fine

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Lol, Taft fat

She'd have to recognize that Axel was flirting with her. Luann is the dumbest and most chaste teenager ever depicted in a comic, and possibly all media
This is your reminder that she was completely unable to pronounce the word 'abstinence' throughout the entirety of her own creepy pro-abstinence cartoon pamphlet, and that this was meant to make her seem relatable to teens rather than stupid.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Heart is inoffensively generic, if you like it then hey more power to ya. My eyes will continue to glide right over it almost every day.

Mister Olympus posted:

milquetoast comics from 1920 are only more interesting to us, in comparison, because they depict banalities that have been scoured from our lives by the hands of time

rae/nancy/heart/trail are fine

There's an art to cartooning and comedy and it really shows that I'd rather read 100 strips about Popeye and Demings and Ptooey Dogs and Babies and Kings and I'll still chuckle frequently and get a belly laugh every other week. That's not even getting into what qualifies as milquetoast old comics... it may not be fair to compare modern duds to the likes of Mopsy, Oaky Doaks, Maudlin and so on but eh, even something I've lost interest in like classic Blondie still has writing and cartooning competency, it just doesn't do much with them or goes in circles to pass the days and pay the bills. Older comics like Mutt and Jeff beat the modern slouches handily.

Trail is an interesting tire fire at best, I'm convinced Nancy was a cynical pick up by a Paws Inc intern to pad their bank account for minimal effort and while Rae can be good it is astoundingly bad when it stumbles. All three struggle to be mediocre. If anyone enjoys them then cool but two of these are mildly amusing hate reads to me and only by virtue of convenience and daily routine.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey hopes you're not afraid of the dark

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mister Olympus posted:

~ those were the days ~

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Vargo posted:

Everyone seems to hate it for reasons I don't understand, I don't even understand the "boxy art" complaint.

Because of this I have decided it is my new favorite strip and we are going to have it every single day until I get COVID again.

hell yeah dude

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Maruoka Kuzo seems to have basically put Uramachi Sakaba on hiatus to work on a new, extremely similar comic, Haraiso Days, which last month got its first collected release. So, I bought it, and will be sharing it!
Title and 4 pages to establish setting, then I'll switch to my usual two pages tomorrow.

It's explicitly the same setting as Sakaba - a few regulars turn up here too (you can see lizard dude on the cover page), and there's an extra comic at the end of the collection featuring the other shop's owner.

Night Visitors

Is hand sanitizer alcohol all that flammable? Who cares?

Monya the Grey

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

Is hand sanitizer alcohol all that flammable? Who cares?

If it's anything like rubbing alcohol, nope. 30% water is enough to quench any pyrotechnics.

To the great disappointment of some of my dormmates freshman year of college who were trying to do something very stupid with my first aid supplies. I say, implying that my only involvement was proximity.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Saaaaaaaame, lmao!

Big Nate Year 1 (Feb 22-23, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jun 20, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 5-6, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! April 17, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True April 16, 1919

Cat Tales March 24, 1925

Oaky Doaks September 26, 1936

Mopsy December 4, 1937

Up Front March 7, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems June 16, 1952

Those Were the Days November 12, 1959

Wee Pals June 18, 1966

Dogbert March 1, 1967

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

She'd have to recognize that Axel was flirting with her. Luann is the dumbest and most chaste teenager ever depicted in a comic, and possibly all media

It seemed, momentarily, like she was onto him. But no, it turns out that "What are you doing?" was an actual question and not a rebuke.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

somepartsareme posted:

I don't find it odd, I just find it bad!

I find the noses off-putting, the artist can only draw like four expressions, and I'm sick to death of comics about pop culture fandom

co-sign all three points, especially the last one

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry, Now, in the original, the porter makes a quip about it being the Sally army who stopped them - but (according to Wikipedia, anyway) the Salvation Army didn't make it to the U.S. until 1880, a few years after this story is set. So I took the liberty of adjusting the dialogue a bit, or Blueberry, I still don't think you're on well enough terms with that woman to refer to her as Lady Luck - I think she'd still prefer you know her by her more formal name: Ms. Fortune, or Tensions mount...

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Giant Ethicist posted:

Maruoka Kuzo seems to have basically put Uramachi Sakaba on hiatus to work on a new, extremely similar comic, Haraiso Days, which last month got its first collected release. So, I bought it, and will be sharing it!
Title and 4 pages to establish setting, then I'll switch to my usual two pages tomorrow.

It's explicitly the same setting as Sakaba - a few regulars turn up here too (you can see lizard dude on the cover page), and there's an extra comic at the end of the collection featuring the other shop's owner.

Hmmmmm no disrespect to the Haraiso bar owner, but the previous shop's owner was pretty good......and Emi isn't here.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Monya :kimchi:

Also I immediately thought the new bar comic was a prequel but I guess your comment at the end nixes that idea

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

riderchop posted:

Hmmmmm no disrespect to the Haraiso bar owner, but the previous shop's owner was pretty good......and Emi isn't here.
I felt similarly when it started - but Maruoka's using Haraiso to tell slightly longer stories (each chapter is about 20 pages instead of 4), which lets the characters generally get much more fleshed-out. Miss Haru and her eventual assistant are both pretty interesting characters!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

someone awful. posted:

Heart of the City just basically looks like a modern webcomic/a lot of kids' cartoons, to me? And I'm enjoying seeing it, even if it's mostly just kinda milquetoast. I probably would have enjoyed it a lot when I was a tween.
:same:

Would I seek it out of my own volition? No. Am I actually reading it here instead of scrolling past it? Yes(so far).

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey hopes you're not afraid of the dark

:kimchi:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
70s comic special: The Girls

Since we're talking a lot about whether older comics can get away with being boring through the virtues of time/better art/etc, here's the most :geno: comic on the 79 comics page.

The Girls, you see, like shopping.

And occassionally yelling at a tree or getting their hair done.

But mostly shopping.

And of course their husbands are paying for it! Haw haw haw! Such a laugh riot!

But Women Be Shopping is always cosmically balanced out by Men Be Golfing.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Forgive me for forgetting yesterday's post, I lost all track of time with Lego Star Wars and watching TNG S3 for the first time

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 28-29, 2000)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Vargo posted:

Everyone seems to hate it for reasons I don't understand, I don't even understand the "boxy art" complaint.

Because of this I have decided it is my new favorite strip and we are going to have it every single day until I get COVID again.

I was about to comment that I think it's fine. I'd probably appreciate it more were I a 12 year old girl, but that's not the comic's fault. I do find the art kinda boxy, but I've seen weirder styles in this thread before (insert that panel from Mark Trail that was obviously Jams drawing something for the first time in ages).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Slammy posted:

Up Front March 7, 1945

If I'm not mistaken, that vertical pole on the front fender is a wire cutter. The Germans had the charming habit of rigging wire across roads and paths at head height, waiting for allied bike messengers or jeeps to drive into them and kill or maim the drivers.

E: fixed image link

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 6, 2022

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Hattie Masters posted:

See, I wouldn't say I hate it, but I do find it very... Not good? Not actively bad, but definitely not good. For me, the best example of this is the strip that could be summed up as "Ha ha, chips sure are salty and kids sure do love that!"

A perfect example of something having the cadence of a joke, but no actual discernable humour.

Heart seems to be more about being very sweet and cute than funny, and that's fine. You could accuse it of being cloying, I guess? The art and tone remind me Steven Universe.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The thing about Heart is that it seems to have decided it's gonna be a four panel strip but never uses the fourth panel to add anything interesting to what it's already done in three panels.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Took a few minutes staring at a keyboard to solve this one, so here is a hint: Wow, that is a 13 letter long word. That is pretty notable! What word that is used a lot in these silly little mysteries that is that long?

The cipher is Reorder the keys on a typewriter in alphabetic order, instead of QWERTY order.

The solution, then, is CHECK ENCYCLOPEDIAS GARAGE, TYPEWRITER BEHIND MOWER.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/5/02

Brenda Starr 6/28-30/48

Smokey Stover 3/2/47

Everyday Movies 1/7/35

"My first three husbands were all a woman could ask for."

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Heart of the City seems nice to me so far. It doesn't always have a gag, but I think it's more of a slice of life strip. This story seems to be about Heart making friends with this other girl she's not gotten along with before now, which is cute (as long as it sticks - things constantly reverting to the status quo is always annoying). I don't think it's really about pop culture - its characters just reference it in the way kids would. It's both about and for tween kids, and I assume very few people reading this thread are in the ten to fourteen age range, so that might explain why people here find it boring.

And I think the art is good, like someone awful said its style matches a lot of modern cartoons. The artist does seem to have a tendency to put the characters in baggy clothes, maybe as a cheat to avoid having to be particular about the anatomy.

On an unrelated note, I'm looking forward to this new cyberpunk bar. Thanks for posting it Giant Ethicist.

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 13, 1950)

Reminder that while this is happening Aguar's troops are burning down villages in this guy's homeland.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Medenmath posted:

It's both about and for tween kids, and I assume very few people reading this thread are in the ten to fourteen age range, so that might explain why people here find it boring.
I don't think that can be the only reason, because the same goes for Phoebe, and that's charming and has actual gags and tension.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't think that can be the only reason, because the same goes for Phoebe, and that's charming and has actual gags and tension.

Phoebe is a lot sillier with a bunch of fantastical things happening, which I think helps it. If it were just about Phoebe and Dakota's frenemy relationship or whatever I imagine it would be received less positively. But maybe I'm wrong, I'm no great media critic. :shrug:

edit: \/ Yeah this

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 6, 2022

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Phoebe is doing the whimsical thing and Heart is more grounded slice-of-life stuff for young girls, it makes sense that one has more appeal outside the age range than the other to me

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Spring Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

You may remember Mike Savage from his Scary Go Round misadventures or his Bad Machinery misadventures. His relationship with Lottie’s mum (forged in the very final pages of The Case of the Severed Alliance) should not be thought of as a misadventure.

Here's the scene from Case of the Severed Alliance were Mike met Karen;

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

^^^
I love Shelley's expression in that last panel.

Medenmath posted:

Reminder that while this is happening Aguar's troops are burning down villages in this guy's homeland.

Val would've razed his homeland then murdered this motherfucker, so in that sense a scolding from Aleta is getting off light

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

You know how some school cartoons would have a rival school that had duplicates of the main cast but just shifted by about 20% in one direction or another

same exact vibes here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J