Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hotdog feet posted:

Here's what i still don't understand, beyond every other stupid thing with NFTs: how the gently caress is one ape valued higher than another with no difference in scarcity and they're all equally ugly as gently caress

also, i super glued a first edition Charizard to my school binder when i was a little kid and it haunts me to this day

It's like a gacha game, some of the features on the apes show up at a significantly lower rate. So an ape with bloodshot weed eyes might be one in a hundred, but an ape with a gold plated grill might be one in a thousand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

hotdog feet posted:

Here's what i still don't understand, beyond every other stupid thing with NFTs: how the gently caress is one ape valued higher than another with no difference in scarcity and they're all equally ugly as gently caress

also, i super glued a first edition Charizard to my school binder when i was a little kid and it haunts me to this day

your extremely valid concerns and questions sound like a whole bunch of FUD to me.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

hotdog feet posted:

Someone already answered but basically some of the randomised features are rarer than others. It's literally just gambling. You pay some money, pull the lever and hope a rare combination comes up.

Why do people buy that rare combination? Because they are very very stupid.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

On the subject of rarity that no one ought to give a poo poo about, I saw a NFT thing that was emulating "loot bags". You'd have a list of items with the usual names, 1 x Great Bardiche of the Reaper, or whatever, and they were supposed to have value in much the same way as the whole blue, purple, gold, etc stuff does in RPGs.

The team behind it didn't bother describing what stats each item had (for a game that didn't exist), instead they just said that it was "up to the community" to decide upon that, in their heads I guess. So, let's just agree that my "Dire Wand of Replenishment (Poison Enchanted)" is worth a lot, because it sounds like it ought to be. I'm only willing to trade it for a gold Mace of Undying.

These bags are literally just characters on the screen, with the NFTs pointing to them. That's it. No assets, no promise of anything beyond that, nothing.

NFTs are a proper "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills" thing.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

think of it as preordering DLC for the games of tomorrow

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poverty goat posted:

think of it as preordering DLC for the games of tomorrow

I mean that's literally it. Lootboxes without games. And with all the forethought that implies.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Durzel posted:

These bags are literally just characters on the screen, with the NFTs pointing to them. That's it. No assets, no promise of anything beyond that, nothing.

yeah a couple months ago I spent like 15 minutes searching with increasing desperation for the game part of a NTF game:

Klyith posted:

Looked at website, saw the big Gameplay tiles that appear to depict Asteroids and Space Invaders, but with NFT planes and cartoon cats.

Said to myself "Surely a supposedly intelligent person doesn't look at Asteroids and Space Invaders and think this will be the big metaverse game that is 'going to blow up'. What is the actual game?"

Looked at videos for CryptoPlanes on youtube. All of them are the same: person goes into CryptoPlanes website, looks at planes they can buy and sell (which are just a dumb card with 5 stats), then starts looking at market charts and their investment whitepaper. THERE IS NO GAME. Not even the crappy Asteroids and Space Invaders clones they show on their website!

Meanwhile, let's check in on Orange Sky's friend:

orange sky posted:

I just had dinner with someone I consider an intelligent person, but I might have to review that opinion. They apparently bought multiple "nft metaverse planes", and are playing a "click to win game" where they login everyday and click some buttons to get money back in coins. Direct quote - "it started recently so its not going to blow up immediately - I'll probably be able to make money off of it before it goes tits up".

Goddamn, the world is a gently caress. Everyone is just trying to get rich quick, rationality thrown to the pile of everything else we left behind

This is apparently it: https://cryptoplanes.me/ probably the most stupid thing I've ever seen

cryptoplanes.me: This site can't be reached. DNS NXDOMAIN

Price chart from Dec 1 to now:

horns.aiff

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
https://twitter.com/ghostrecon/status/1511373147475484682?s=21&t=nPAW7cMtQZBzl84i0Ygy8w

Also known as the Ubisoft game that got NFTs.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

hotdog feet posted:

My uncles and dad shot the eyes out of at least one Nolan Ryan rookie card with a bb-gun.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Breakpoint was a weird trial run as they never “sold” NFTs, only given away. I believe it was just to see if NFTs could bring players back to the game and if the remaining players would actively trade them but last I checked the trade volume was embarrassingly low.

Terrible game at launch and still not good but I do give them credit for working on it for the past two years. Figured support would have been immediately dropped after sales were so bad they delayed other games to reevaluate their live service approach.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ubisoft says they're going to keep doing NFTs in future games, they're not giving up on them yet, just their first game to use them reached the end of its support cycle

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1511673357644742656

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I forget if ubisoft promoted ability to sell their nfts in a marketplace or not but they definitely have shut that marketplace down if it ever existed right.

I own more of a piece of non maintained games by still having some boxes with their manuals and poo poo in my basement somewhere than any of the fools who bought an in game nft, lol.

I’m glad it was ubisoft doing it because they are already a piece of poo poo company.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

repiv posted:

Ubisoft says they're going to keep doing NFTs in future games, they're not giving up on them yet, just their first game to use them reached the end of its support cycle

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1511673357644742656

"We roped some kids into buying that poo poo, so yeah you can bet we're doing it again."

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
"You have left your mark in its history."

Some people bought some lovely guns in a game that was for all intents and purposes EOL, were explicitly unhappy that nobody noticed their fancy blockchain gun, and then you officially EOL'd the game.

History made alright.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

poverty goat posted:

think of it as preordering DLC for the games of tomorrow that will never be made in this dimension.

Ftfy.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Klyith posted:

cryptoplanes.me: This site can't be reached. DNS NXDOMAIN

Price chart from Dec 1 to now:

This is good for NFT 'games'.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Didn’t players say nobody even noticed or commented on their NFT items? Also the way they were restricted made them effectively TF2 and CSGO items in every way except environmental impact?

In short, lol ubisoft

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Durzel posted:

On the subject of rarity that no one ought to give a poo poo about, I saw a NFT thing that was emulating "loot bags". You'd have a list of items with the usual names, 1 x Great Bardiche of the Reaper, or whatever, and they were supposed to have value in much the same way as the whole blue, purple, gold, etc stuff does in RPGs.

The team behind it didn't bother describing what stats each item had (for a game that didn't exist), instead they just said that it was "up to the community" to decide upon that, in their heads I guess. So, let's just agree that my "Dire Wand of Replenishment (Poison Enchanted)" is worth a lot, because it sounds like it ought to be. I'm only willing to trade it for a gold Mace of Undying.

Made by the cofounder of Vine which is probably how they got popular. There isn't even a character. Each NFT is just like ten lines of plaintext.

priznat posted:

I forget if ubisoft promoted ability to sell their nfts in a marketplace or not but they definitely have shut that marketplace down if it ever existed right.

Since they are NFTs there shouldn't need to be an Ubisoft run marketplace. Maybe depending on the technical details of how they link to your in-game account but with the game shut down that doesn't really matter.

novamute fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 6, 2022

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

busalover posted:

"We roped some kids into buying that poo poo, so yeah you can bet we're doing it again."

"we can scam the second group with the profits from the first! hooray!"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

update: maybe not lol

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1511726476747550723

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

novamute posted:

Made by the cofounder of Vine which is probably how they got popular. There isn't even a character. Each NFT is just like ten lines of plaintext.

Since they are NFTs there shouldn't need to be an Ubisoft run marketplace. Maybe depending on the technical details of how they link to your in-game account but with the game shut down that doesn't really matter.
Yup, it was the most low effort thing imagineable. If memory serves the website serving them just had them as white text on a black background.

On the other hand clearly minimal effort seems to be required to sell these things so why bother doing anything more than you need to? Time = (fiat) money.

Aside from the grubbiness of it all it is rather fascinating how these things conjure up value from a critical mass of people believing that they are valuable. The fact that digital assets can be copied at no cost, and the notion that this is somehow bad or irrelevant in the sphere of NFTs, i.e. how "digital scarcity" is actually A Good Thing is just incredible.

Digital asset reproduction is, or should be, an equalising force, a fundamental good in the context of environmental damage or resource consumption caused by manufacturing tangible items. Instead, in the new world order of NFTs, the narrative we're all being asked to embrace is the idea of turning digital assets into a finite resource, for no good reason, just to enrich a minority of participants. The one thing that we could reproduce infinitely at no cost and no harm instead we have to impose artificial scarcity on, because absolutely loving everything in life has to be monetised and those who can't afford the consensus value disenfranchised from participating at all.

Man I hate NFTs. Their very essence is rotten.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Durzel posted:

Aside from the grubbiness of it all it is rather fascinating how these things conjure up value from a critical mass of people believing that they are valuable. The fact that digital assets can be copied at no cost, and the notion that this is somehow bad or irrelevant in the sphere of NFTs, i.e. how "digital scarcity" is actually A Good Thing is just incredible.

Digital asset reproduction is, or should be, an equalising force, a fundamental good in the context of environmental damage or resource consumption caused by manufacturing tangible items. Instead, in the new world order of NFTs, the narrative we're all being asked to embrace is the idea of turning digital assets into a finite resource, for no good reason, just to enrich a minority of participants. The one thing that we could reproduce infinitely at no cost and no harm instead we have to impose artificial scarcity on, because absolutely loving everything in life has to be monetised and those who can't afford the consensus value disenfranchised from participating at all.

Man I hate NFTs. Their very essence is rotten.

I read an article that described the vision of NFTs as "a virtual world where we have finally solved the problem of how to create scarcity when nothing is real" which is just a brilliant description. To libertarians, the fact that digital stuff can be copied for virtually no cost is a problem, and NFTs are the solution.

The whole article is worth a read: https://www.gawker.com/culture/the-future-is-useless-expensive

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
NFTs being more innately worthless is actually their selling point above and beyond tulips, beanie babies, and funco pops. Physical goods have some token manufacturing costs so that any new tulip, beanie baby, or funco pop has some amount of investment riding in it's ability to be sold for no real capital or social reason.

NFTs, especially with some of the mint on demand bullshit, have low or no capital investment allowing the market to iterate endlessly on determining the sort of useless jpegs people are willing to buy.

The fact that it is worthless because it's infinitely digitally reproducible is just a small irony. Digital scarcity is still pie in the sky because there still hasn't been a popular NFT that makes the scarcity intrinsic. They're all right clickable still.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

It’s pretty funny, because there used to be quite a serious contingent of libertarian/anarcho-capitalist types who were strictly anti-IP, since it was a form of property that could only be created through state coercion.

Conversely, though, it doesn’t surprise me that executive-level Hollywood types are quick to get on board with it. I’ve often wondered how they would continue to lobby the government to keep anti-tech/strong IP laws like the DMCA going. I imagined that they might try to get the entertainment industry declared as some kind of strategic global influence asset, especially with a friendly Democratic administration in power. But joining up with a coalition of grifters trying to make a quick buck, and promising them that one day they can be on top of the ladder too, seems just as likely to succeed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cyks posted:

Breakpoint was a weird trial run as they never “sold” NFTs, only given away. I believe it was just to see if NFTs could bring players back to the game and if the remaining players would actively trade them but last I checked the trade volume was embarrassingly low.

novamute posted:

Since they are NFTs there shouldn't need to be an Ubisoft run marketplace.

Nope! The Ubisoft NFTs exist in the Ubisoft-run Quartz system, which is another one of these blockchain-based virtual programs. The items can only be traded on 2 market platforms, and Ubisoft takes a percentage cut of any sale / transfer.

Ubisoft aren't so stupid that they don't know their audience, and that most core gamers are profoundly negative to the concept. So they were taking the same approach that's worked well for AAA in the past: introduce things in the most innocuous fashion, then boil the frog. Thus starting with cosmetic-only items they gave away for free in a game that nobody cared about anyways.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

I read an article that described the vision of NFTs as "a virtual world where we have finally solved the problem of how to create scarcity when nothing is real" which is just a brilliant description. To libertarians, the fact that digital stuff can be copied for virtually no cost is a problem, and NFTs are the solution.

The whole article is worth a read: https://www.gawker.com/culture/the-future-is-useless-expensive
That was a good read, thanks. Kinda surprised that it's a Gawker article, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Durzel posted:

That was a good read, thanks. Kinda surprised that it's a Gawker article, though.

They spun off in the bankruptcy sale and aren't part of theonion/gizmodo/etc thing anymore, they're their own blog and have some good stuff sometimes!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/JorgeStolfi/status/1511444846514479106

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Correction: Helping MAKE millions of poor people around the world

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Just like playing the pick 3 or pick 4 (worse really, because someone could steal all of your Crypto and you have no way of getting it back)

The real thing is though that all of those people covered in the article are desperate to make money in Crypto because all of the other ways don't work. But crypto won't either. It literally cannot for the vast majority of them.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 6, 2022

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Paramount jumping on the NFT train by selling 20K Star Trek ships for $250 each.

https://twitter.com/paramountco/status/1511818145576673287

Looking at the roadmap, there's also some Nickelodeon ones planned (Rugrats, Turtles, no Spongebob though) and other targeted film franchises include The Godfather, Mean Girls and Ferris Bueller.

They'll be doing "a star-studded panel with talent from the franchise" at a Star Trek con in Chicago tomorrow. A lot of current and former ST actors are at the con as guests, wondering which ones they could convince to appear in their $250 NFT salespitch.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The Godfather NFTs sounds like an offer you can refuse

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Klyith posted:

Nope! The Ubisoft NFTs exist in the Ubisoft-run Quartz system, which is another one of these blockchain-based virtual programs. The items can only be traded on 2 market platforms, and Ubisoft takes a percentage cut of any sale / transfer.

Ubisoft aren't so stupid that they don't know their audience, and that most core gamers are profoundly negative to the concept. So they were taking the same approach that's worked well for AAA in the past: introduce things in the most innocuous fashion, then boil the frog. Thus starting with cosmetic-only items they gave away for free in a game that nobody cared about anyways.

So it's like steam market items but without free ways to buy in and they go away in 4 months instead of being in games supported for over a decade?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Remember that bit in Picard where they remark about how hosed the environment is? Well anyway https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1511077401098293254

well they found out a way to poo poo on the corpse of star trek harder than nutrek

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deki posted:

So it's like steam market items but without free ways to buy in and they go away in 4 months instead of being in games supported for over a decade?

Listen, I don't think you understand how this works.

When we say "Blockchain!" you're supposed to throw money at us.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

ErrEff posted:

They'll be doing "a star-studded panel with talent from the franchise" at a Star Trek con in Chicago tomorrow. A lot of current and former ST actors are at the con as guests, wondering which ones they could convince to appear in their $250 NFT salespitch.

Will Wheaton doesn’t have any dignity left so he could front it

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not even actively annoyed anymore, it's just a buzzword salad (got to get the metaverse in there somewhere); it's now more like watching a child get some tedious fad out of their system before they realise that no-one cares/actively hates them for it and moves on to something else.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

In five or ten years, more than one film producer/director will make documentaries about the history of NFTs, including interviews with sad/angry-faced individuals who wanted to get rich quick but lost everything they owned instead.

If I die laughing while watching one of those documentaries, hey there's plenty of worse ways to go!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

HappyHippo posted:

Except that's something they still can't really do? Unless I'm mistaken, nothing is stopping me from right clicking all the jpegs and minting them as my own special NFTs. So unless they're going to put blockchains on the blockchains to make sure that their blockchain is the real original deal blockchain, NFT's still do nothing to make something unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Except that's something they still can't really do? Unless I'm mistaken, nothing is stopping me from right clicking all the jpegs and minting them as my own special NFTs. So unless they're going to put blockchains on the blockchains to make sure that their blockchain is the real original deal blockchain, NFT's still do nothing to make something unique.

In theory, the blockchain lets you check the history and origin of a NFT, so it's trivial to tell whether a crappy ape jpeg is an original Bored Ape from the original Bored Apes collection or a right-clicked and re-minted copy.

In practice, it's only been a few days since someone traded real Bored Apes for re-minted ape jpegs with a verified checkmark photoshopped on, so we know how well that actually works in practice.