Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warbird posted:

Didn’t the newest MS Flight Sim game have that airport as a challenge scenario?

Yes, the MSFS Reddit gets gifs of people trying to land wide bodies at it daily.

I feel like the jeppsen chart undersells things a bit at this airport… https://ww2.jeppesen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/TFFJ.pdf
“Take-offs on runway 28 prohibited”
“Runway 28…
Going around is prohibited in short final”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

"Going around is prohibited in short final”

Watch me

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes, the MSFS Reddit gets gifs of people trying to land wide bodies at it daily.

I feel like the jeppsen chart undersells things a bit at this airport… https://ww2.jeppesen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/TFFJ.pdf
“Take-offs on runway 28 prohibited”
“Runway 28…
Going around is prohibited in short final”

I just tried in the A320 and I wound up on the hill at the end. Airplane broke as hell but everyone probably lived. 🤷‍♂️

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

I used to fly in there about once a month back when Seaborne used Twin Otters in their land-based fleet.

these didn't have cockpit doors so passengers get to look into the flight deck and can also see through the windscreen

the pilots would always mention the unusual approach during the preflight briefing but without fail someone would briefly freakout when the view out the front consisted mostly of tarmac...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Saba with winnair is great. Takeoff literally feels like driving the twin otter off the edge of a cliff.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I'm surprised Jerry has never made a trip to St Barths.
It'd probably go something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z2o0acIlm4

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Gotta admit, I'm pretty impressed with that response time for the emergency services considering it's the Caribbean.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:sigh:

https://simpleflying.com/unresponsive-air-france-boeing-777-aborts-landing-paris/

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

slidebite posted:

Gotta admit, I'm pretty impressed with that response time for the emergency services considering it's the Caribbean.

1 guy in the fire truck :classiclol:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Meanwhile, France's Bureau of Enquiry and Analysis for Civil Aviation Safety (BEA) has rated the occurrence a serious incident and opened an investigation. The aircraft reportedly experienced a 'flight control instability', control stiffness, and trajectory oscillations.

They cite avherald so…

https://avherald.com/h?article=4f700fec&opt=0

quote:

as on final approach to Paris' runway 26L established on localizer and cleared to land descending through about 1500 feet when the crew was heard on tower frequency audibly in distress, alarm sounds in the background, one of the pilots calling "Stop! Stop!", "Stop it!", tower instructed the crew to stop the approach at 1500 feet. When the aircraft descended through 1200 feet significantly having veered to the left off the localizer the autopilot disconnect wailer can finally be heard on the radio transmission, the crew manages to go around from about 1150 feet

According to ADS-B data transmitted by the aircraft was at 1725 feet MSL about 4.17nm before the runway threshold (glideslope at 1768 feet MSL). The aircraft subsequently began to deviate to the left.
metar:

quote:

LFPG 050730Z 23009KT 3000 -RA BR BKN003 09/08 Q1013 TEMPO BKN002=

For non pilots
code:
 Code	Explanation
LFPG	Station ID 4 character ICAO airport identifier
050730Z	Date and Time Day: 05; Time: 07:30 UTC
23009KT	Wind Direction and Speed Wind Direction: 230 Speed: 09KT
3000	Visibility 3000 meters.
-RA	Light(-) Rain(RA)
BR	Mist(BR)
BKN003	Broken (BKN) 300ft AGL
09/08	Temperature: 9 °C Dewpoint: 8 °C
Q1013	Altimeter setting Air pressure is 1013 hpa
TEMPO	Conditions are expected to change temporarily within the next 2 hours
BKN002	Broken (BKN) 200ft AGL
Being in IMC, established on the localizer when your autopilot just decides to start a left bank at random sounds scary.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Avherald comments are… let’s say argumentative but the initial guesses are localizer deviations which can be due to a variety of reasons.

This is interesting

quote:

Another AF 777 go-around on 5th April 2022
By Air France Traveler on Wednesday, Apr 6th 2022 15:20Z

I was on another Air France 777 landing around 6am also on 5th April 2022 (DXB-CDG) (F-GSQK). I was watching the plane’s camera approach on the in-seat screen and it seemed to me that the plane was significantly to the left of the runway. At a very low altitude, in the last minute of flight, the pilot pulled up for a go-around. Could the two incidents be related? Both were 777s on the same day

@air France traveler - wow
By FF on Wednesday, Apr 6th 2022 16:01Z

That’s kinda crazy that this happened twice on the same day! I looked up your flight and indeed looks like the go around was initiated very late (almost at the runway threshold). I guess I’m leaning towards thinking there’s some outside interference now…

quote:

Super holding short?
By A330 Skip on Wednesday, Apr 6th 2022 18:26Z

Was there a A380 holding short of 26L disrupting the LOC signal? Even though I know the departures are usually on the inner runway (26R). It’s happened to me in LGW on 08R, the aircraft departed the LOC to the south at 90° before I selected HDG SEL to re-intercept. Upon breaking out of clouds at 800’, I saw an Emirates 380 holding short of runway. There is a warning in LGW AOI notes that if a Super is holding short, they will issue a RNAV clearance instead of ILS. Perhaps something similar happened here…

Read the comments if you want bickering on the definition of “panicked”, complaints about speaking French and complaining about automation. (Because of course a human couldn’t react strangely to the localizer bars going haywire while potentially not being able to see the runway)

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 7, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wasn’t France making some noise about 5G towers messing with sensors for low flying planes? I know some places are removing them in close proximity to airports here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

No, France doesn’t have those 5G bands. And the interference from that would be errant radar altimeter readings which wouldn’t cause confusion about the aircraft’s course regardless.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Maybe it's Le Pen causing a French turn to the right.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IckUv5HWOog

If it was multiple aircraft on the same day it does sound like a localizer issue.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It might’ve been that there was something else wrong with this plane too, two holes in the cheese slices lined up to make it more dramatic.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/ondisasters/status/1512123097096331268?s=21&t=kPOqysNR-sgr6rjrWtMJXw

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Brake locked up?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

No, France doesn’t have those 5G bands. And the interference from that would be errant radar altimeter readings which wouldn’t cause confusion about the aircraft’s course regardless.

A couple weeks ago we had a plane that did something weird that I can't remember and the pilots said that the aircraft told them it was a 5g anomaly. I think they were at FL340? I did a :what: at our briefing about it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

From one of the twitter replies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv0z3PgPMYs

The interesting part starts around half way.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sick Burnout bro.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Well that looks like a write-off.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drifting into hull loss.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
turn left dale nooo

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

fknlo posted:

A couple weeks ago we had a plane that did something weird that I can't remember and the pilots said that the aircraft told them it was a 5g anomaly. I think they were at FL340? I did a :what: at our briefing about it.

This is unlikely for technical reasons I can talk about at more length when I'm not phone posting from the shitter at work

Generally though, the 5g interference issues are only expected to cause any potential issues with radar altimeters, and aren't expected to be able to cause issues under normal conditions. The world is full of abnormal conditions, though...

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Even if the 5G COVID gremlins screw up the radar altimeter, that still isn't connected to lateral navigation. Being off alignment from the runway is a different issue.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

FunOne posted:

Even if the 5G COVID gremlins screw up the radar altimeter, that still isn't connected to lateral navigation. Being off alignment from the runway is a different issue.

Rolling my aircraft left and right to use my radar altimeter as a ground mapping radar.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Found out today that BWI still has some of the mobile lounges:

No clue what on earth they’re for since I’ve never seen them in use, but they were in international departures so maybe there’s something over there that needs them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Freaquency posted:

Found out today that BWI still has some of the mobile lounges:

No clue what on earth they’re for since I’ve never seen them in use, but they were in international departures so maybe there’s something over there that needs them.

If they park an international arrival or departure somewhere away from the gate it would mean they don't have to bother with an airstair to a bus, just run those.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U2EJFaTQJI

Simon Whistler on the An-225's destruction.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
am i alone in finding him really annoying for some vague reason?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-busiest-airports-2021/index.html

The continued rebound of domestic US aviation while international travel remains low has caused a huge shift in the list of world's busiest airports.

quote:

Given the much faster recovery of domestic travel compared with international travel, airports that were way down the list of the world's busiest airports pre-pandemic have leaped up into the top 10.
The airports in Charlotte, North Carolina (No. 6); Orlando, Florida (No. 7); and Las Vegas (No. 10) are new to the top 10 this year. Vacation magnets Orlando and Las Vegas were No. 31 and No. 30 for passenger traffic before the pandemic in 2019.

Two of the top ten are in China. The rest are in the US.

quote:

World's top 10 busiest airports for passenger traffic in 2021
1. Atlanta (ATL): 75.7 million passengers, up 76% from 2020
2. Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW): 62.5 million passengers, up 59% from 2020
3. Denver (DEN): 58.8 million passengers, up 74% from 2020
4. Chicago O'Hare (ORD): 54 million passengers, up 75% from 2020
5. Los Angeles (LAX): 48 million passengers, up 67% from 2020
6. Charlotte (CLT): 43.3 million passengers, up 59% from 2020
7. Orlando (MCO): 40.4 million passengers, up 87% from 2020
8. Guangzhou (CAN): 40.3 million passengers, down 8% from 2020
9. Chengdu (CTU): 40.1 million passengers, down 1.5% from 2020
10. Las Vegas (LAS): 39.8 million passengers, up 79% from 2020

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sincere questions: what does Russia lack now that they are cut off from the global supply chain in regards to their airliners? Also, if some of that is "software updates" and "other communications from the maker/subcontractors", is the Russian plan at this point literally warez? Are they going to jailbreak their 747-8is?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Tires, for one thing. They might be able to get Chinese knockoffs but we all can see how those are working out.

I would also guess that there are some fancy and very expensive fluids they can’t get. O2 generators seem like a bad thing to carry around past the expiration date, too, as ValueJet might remind everyone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sincere questions: what does Russia lack now that they are cut off from the global supply chain in regards to their airliners? Also, if some of that is "software updates" and "other communications from the maker/subcontractors", is the Russian plan at this point literally warez? Are they going to jailbreak their 747-8is?

Give them to China in some complicated and secret lease/buyback/something else scenario, make a shocked pikachu face when China doesn’t give them back.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Nebakenezzer posted:

as far as i understand, aircraft parts are tracked in detail from molten metal to delivery, and they do not have any way to maintain the logistics with the sanctions regime.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

`Nemesis posted:

am i alone in finding him really annoying for some vague reason?

He's one of the many clones of Vsauce. Yeah it's annoying.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

`Nemesis posted:

as far as i understand, aircraft parts are tracked in detail from molten metal to delivery, and they do not have any way to maintain the logistics with the sanctions regime.

So basically it's a matter of time until they start being grounded assuming Russia still follows some semblance of a maintenance/inspection protocol?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

So basically it's a matter of time until they start being grounded assuming Russia still follows some semblance of a maintenance/inspection protocol?

It’s already started. A couple Russian operators started grounding airplanes preemptively to rob parts. It’s a bucket brigade on the Titanic though. That ship is going to sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

MrYenko posted:

It’s already started. A couple Russian operators started grounding airplanes preemptively to rob parts. It’s a bucket brigade on the Titanic though. That ship is going to sink.

it's worse than that, because even if sanctions get lifted, no lessor is going to accept those planes back because the maintenance records can no longer be trusted.