Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Youth Decay posted:

Every town in Ukraine has like 5 different English spellings, such is the wonder of translating Cyrillic text.

A lot of that seemed to get turned on its head recently. When I learned Russian, the "ge" letter was just a hard "g", now it's being translated as an "h" which leaves me curious as to what "kha" is supposed to be changed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Doccers posted:

It is quite possible that the EU's combined air power would be able to handle the Russian air force, however I still suspect it's lacking in sufficient stores of guided munitions. This may change after Ukraine, but Finland's likely thinking of the near future with a move to NATO.

The PGM problem is huge. Like, Germany only just now ordered 120 missiles for its drones. 120…is not much.

Though it does have 600 KEPD 350 cruise missiles. Those are supposedly quite fancy.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Someone asked the fellows in Chad who invented the technical if they thought these weapons would be much good against a modern army. "Of course not," said one Toyota-welder, "but we weren't fighting a modern army, were we?"

I think there was an instance during the Iraq invasion where the Fedayeen Saddam tried using technicals and stuff to attack a US position during a sandstorm and got loving wrecked.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

:) I’d love if all politicians had open finances, maybe we should make this a thing

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexandruC4/status/1511684093137801218

:hmmyes: not mad at all

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

He should direct his demands at Muskrat.

Doccers posted:

They would be quite easy for a competent military with adequate SigInt equipment to jam, yes.

Read into that what you will.

Yeah and also to locate the controller, I'd imagine. I would assume that Russia a) still has those abilities but b) doesn't have them everywhere they have troops, so at times using them could be effective and at others it could be dangerous. The latter would be rare, I would think.

Nail Rat posted:

Not that it's something I want to happen anyway, but I have to imagine a Russian invasion of Finland would go...not well since they're falling on their face in Ukraine, burning through ostensibly the best of what they have, and Finland is getting time to prepare.

Russia's biggest problems were north of Kyiv, which is largely covered by huge forests and swamps.

What country in Europe mainly consists of those two terrain features? Answer: Estonia :haw:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 6, 2022

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Nail Rat posted:

Not that it's something I want to happen anyway, but I have to imagine a Russian invasion of Finland would go...not well since they're falling on their face in Ukraine, burning through ostensibly the best of what they have, and Finland is getting time to prepare.

I asked my friend in Sweden who's training in their self defense force right now, if they would come to Finland's aid should they be attacked,

"No need. The snow speaks Finnish."

:black101:

Doccers fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 6, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Military cooperation is complicated, it's not just a matter of "sending troops". There's all sorts of complications in terms of logistics, command language, who can give orders to who, communication channels and encryption keys, a gazillion things. NATO has standards for this and exercises it regularly; the EU does not. Most EU countries are NATO members though so using NATO mechanisms could work within those, and Sweden has largely adopted NATO standards and exercises together with NATO pretty frequently as well.

It is worth noting though that despite both Sweden and Finland being EU members, there's an entirely separate bilateral agreement about mutual military support between Sweden and Finland (ratified as recently as 2020). It does not contain an automatic commitment to mutual defense beyond what's already in the EU pact, but it does implement special legal provisions that at least in Sweden authorizes the government to both send military support to Finland's defense should they request it, and receive military support from Finland in return, without parliamentary approval. It also contains some special provisions for e.g. placing Swedish troops under Finnish command, granting Finnish military personnel access to secret installations without any of the usual bureaucratic red tape, and other such things. Finland and Sweden have also started exercising these supporting actions recently.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 6, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Trump posted:

https://twitter.com/BackAndAlive/status/1511751581749940240

Wild the defenders are still getting supplied. But wouldn't those commercial drones be very easy to jam?

my guess is Mariupol isnt exactly going great for the russians and its turned into a wood chipper and their siege is porous still. like not great for mauripol but this isnt great for the russias basicaly killing tons of their dudes to take a city that should have fallen in the opening 2 days.

if they are getting drones, then they are getting other stuff too.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

A lot of that seemed to get turned on its head recently. When I learned Russian, the "ge" letter was just a hard "g", now it's being translated as an "h" which leaves me curious as to what "kha" is supposed to be changed to.

Well, that would be because these names are in Ukrainian, not Russian.

Ukrainian Cyrillic:
Г --- /ɦ/
Ґ --- /g/
Х --- /x/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Doccers posted:

I asked my friend in Sweden who's training in their self defense force right now, if they would come to Finland's aid should they be attacked,

"No need. The snow speaks Finnish."

:black101:

"And today, ve crush Russian soldier with hoodraulic press. And heeere ve go!"

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

In a surprise to no-one, Russia doesn't treat POWs well.

https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1511753349649027077

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Are you aware that Russian and Ukrainian are different languages? Russian г transliterates to g (аллигатор - alligator), whereas Ukrainian г transliterates to h (грiм - hrim) - because they sound different in speech. Letter х is pronounced the same in both languages, and transliterates to kh consequently.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if they are getting drones, then they are getting other stuff too.

I seem to remember seeing a photo that was purportedly made in that city that showed a fired Matador launcher. So they somehow managed to get fresh AT launchers from Poland into Mariupol

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Nenonen posted:

He should direct his demands at Muskrat.

Yeah and also to locate the controller, I'd imagine. I would assume that Russia a) still has those abilities but b) doesn't have them everywhere they have troops, so at times using them could be effective and at others it could be dangerous. The latter would be rare, I would think.

From what I understand is they indeed have some jammers but aren't using them since they likewise jam their cellphones and lovely Chinese walkie-talkies they are using to communicate.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Atreiden posted:

In a surprise to no-one, Russia doesn't treat POWs well.

https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1511753349649027077
I mean, yeah, they can't even stop incredible levels of physical/mental/emotional abuse among their own ranks.

e: Forgot sexual abuse, too.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Are you aware that Russian and Ukrainian are different languages? Russian г transliterates to g (аллигатор - alligator), whereas Ukrainian г transliterates to h (грiм - hrim) - because they sound different in speech. Letter х is pronounced the same in both languages, and transliterates to kh consequently.

Yeah, I'm just noting that I've seen Russian being translated that way recently, too.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Antigravitas posted:

I seem to remember seeing a photo that was purportedly made in that city that showed a fired Matador launcher. So they somehow managed to get fresh AT launchers from Poland into Mariupol

Just a reminder for those who figured out how this resupply is working, don't post it on the internet.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Yeah, I'm just noting that I've seen Russian being translated that way recently, too.

That’s not my observation, at least. A lot more people have begun using Ukrainian spellings of place names, however, and Ukraine has a ton of place names that have identical spellings in both languages, but different transliteration. For instance, Гостомель, the infamous VDV theme park, would be Gostomel’ and Hostomel’ depending on whether if the reader is applying Russian or Ukrainian transliteration rules, as the spelling is the same in both languages.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s not my observation, at least. A lot more people have begun using Ukrainian spellings of place names, however, and Ukraine has a ton of place names that have identical spellings in both languages, but different transliteration. For instance, Гостомель, the infamous VDV theme park, would be Gostomel’ and Hostomel’ depending on whether if the reader is applying Russian or Ukrainian transliteration rules, as the spelling is the same in both languages.
Yeah I've gotten confused because there's like Hostomel Airport, Hostomel town, Hostomel oblast for all I know, and it's like "gently caress me, did the VDV keep trying to drop there? Did Putin forget to disable a waypoint or something?"

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

I, for one am shocked and appalled to see Galloway piss away his legacy and credibility as a noted leftist, antiimperialist and widdle pussy cat

https://twitter.com/captainwonkish/status/1511760530771529729?s=20&t=MQktxfWp9N0Ks8KdheCucA

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

that's cuz ukrainian is a separate language from russian lol

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

but OTOH I don't think the US would manage to keep its dick out of any war the whole of EU is involved in. Same for the UK.

I would prefer this war be over soon so the issue doesn't become one of electoral politics. Merely because it would be distasteful. I don't believe the US will abandon the effort, but the will "to do more" whatever that is, may fluctuate.

I believe Mr. Putin understands this, and believes a long war of attrition may weaken alliances, due to economic costs. This alone should drive the West to be as speedy and as imaginative as possible, right this moment, to give Ukraine the necessary to respond to the Russians even more convincingly.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Orthanc6 posted:

Russian corruption leading to a bunch of empty ERA tin cans adorning Russia's best tanks would be maximum on-brand.

There was a Russian tank the Ukrainians captured early on in the war which literally had cardboard egg shells inside the ERA pockets. It was linked in this thread I think (can't find right now)

OddObserver posted:

Russia has an issue with civilian roles having military uniforms. Like, say, prosecutors. Here is the previous outfit of their prosecutor general:

This reminds me of the Imperial Russian system of "ranks": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_Ranks#Table_of_Ranks

The idea back then was that since the army and navy have ranks, why not have the same system in the civil service as well. I don't know if this actually worked (for whatever value of "worked"), but I do know that at least the Finnish translations of the ranks, as used in the grand duchy of Finland, part of the Russian Empire 1809-1917, were hilarious. So you might eventually become a "salaneuvos" and then perhaps even get promoted to "todellinen salaneuvos"? :allears:

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Youth Decay posted:

Every town in Ukraine has like 5 different English spellings, such is the wonder of translating Cyrillic text.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

jaete posted:

There was a Russian tank the Ukrainians captured early on in the war which literally had cardboard egg shells inside the ERA pockets. It was linked in this thread I think (can't find right now)

This reminds me of the Imperial Russian system of "ranks": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_Ranks#Table_of_Ranks

The idea back then was that since the army and navy have ranks, why not have the same system in the civil service as well. I don't know if this actually worked (for whatever value of "worked"), but I do know that at least the Finnish translations of the ranks, as used in the grand duchy of Finland, part of the Russian Empire 1809-1917, were hilarious. So you might eventually become a "salaneuvos" and then perhaps even get promoted to "todellinen salaneuvos"? :allears:

The cardboard egg shell thing IIRC isn't true. The ERA containers(?) look like egg cartons and the big thing there was that the "pockets" for the explosives were empty.

Edit: yeah those are clearly not egg cartons unless eggs and egg cartons in europe are some weird geometric horror.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 6, 2022

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

evilweasel posted:

while naval blockades remain Officially An Act Of War that was famously flouted in the Cuban Missile Crisis by simply declaring the blockade was not a blockade so that it wasn't an act of war, and then seeing if anyone was going to start a war over it. as a practical matter, the same thing would apply.

but as discussed below, that's just not at all the chinese plan:

I don’t want to get too far into this as it’s not the China thread, but I was in fact contemplating a blockade via anti-ship missile since there’s not much the USN can do about them if they aren’t the targets and it wouldn’t take much to convince civilian shippers to back off unless the US is willing to mobilize the merchant marine and go full Liberty Ship.

PerilPastry posted:

I, for one am shocked and appalled to see Galloway piss away his legacy and credibility as a noted leftist, antiimperialist and widdle pussy cat

https://twitter.com/captainwonkish/status/1511760530771529729?s=20&t=MQktxfWp9N0Ks8KdheCucA

:catstare: has never been more appropriate. Is there, uh, any kind of context that even slightly explains this?

Telsa Cola posted:

The cardboard egg shell thing IIRC isn't true. The ERA containers(?) look like egg cartons and the big thing there was that the "pockets" for the explosives were empty.

Edit: yeah those are clearly not egg cartons unless eggs and egg cartons in europe are some weird geometric horror.

Wouldn’t the explosives not being there still be pretty bad corruption-wise?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Videos of supposed Ukranian troops posing mannequins on the ground etc in Bucha making the rounds on Telegram. Ofc intended to discredit images and testimony.

Dunno if vid posted here would contribute, so not doing so.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Telsa Cola posted:

they look the the cardboard things that come in the boxes of crickets i buy for my reptiles.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they look the the cardboard things that come in the boxes of crickets i buy for my reptiles.

Someone posted a diagram of that specific type of ERA armor and it was basically those yes. I believe its a rubber/plastic casing.

Tomn posted:

Wouldn’t the explosives not being there still be pretty bad corruption-wise?

Oh totally, just not quite the meme.

Here's a better photo.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 6, 2022

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Well yeah, ERA is short for Eager Reptile Aliment

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

jaete posted:

Those were spacers and meant to be there... unfortunately the explosives inserted between them were not. :gooncamp:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Incremental gains:

"Ukrainian Armed Forces Facebook posted:

As a result of offensive actions of units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, the enemy lost control over the settlement of Osokorivka.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
In terms of reporting Danish Radio has been doing something interesting but weird. A journalist has been googling random business phone numbers in Ukraine and calling them.

They had an interview with someone with a horrific story about being trapped in a shelled building with the landline working but the only phone number she could remember was her teenage daughter’s who had managed to escape and she didn’t want to tell her what had happened.

Is this happening in other countries?

(The two times I’ve heard it one was someone who was a private English teacher and I think the other was a baker).

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Deteriorata posted:

Incremental gains:

That's good, but I imagine the counterattacks are going to be harder past the Dnieper River

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kavros posted:

The absolute only way I can read this is: Russia engaged in mass executions of civilians in Sumy and does not have time to cover the fact up

I thought Ukraine had been in full control of Sumy for a couple of weeks now? Was it still being fought over until just now?

e: looks like others were confused as well.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 6, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deki posted:

That's good, but I imagine the counterattacks are going to be harder past the Dnieper River

I’d armchair that it may be even a bit easier, if Ukrainian forces retake Kherson and break out on the other side. Currently, in that area Ukrainian forces are storming a big city while being fired across the river, and raided from a nearby airfield. If they hold the city and move out, the river people and airplanes will need to gently caress off further, and Ukrainians themselves would have to move through villages and empty space, more or less.

I’m genuinely not sure where would their forces get stopped in this hypothetical scenario, except for naive answers like Crimean border.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/maria_shagina/status/1511777786196865029

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’d armchair that it may be even a bit easier, if Ukrainian forces retake Kherson and break out on the other side. Currently, in that area Ukrainian forces are storming a big city while being fired across the river, and raided from a nearby airfield. If they hold the city and move out, the river people and airplanes will need to gently caress off further, and Ukrainians themselves would have to move through villages and empty space, more or less.

I’m genuinely not sure where would their forces get stopped in this hypothetical scenario, except for naive answers like Crimean border.

I'm nothing but an armchair general myself, but I'd imagine the hit and run tactics that are working great are harder when you don't have much held space to retreat too.

Plus, what's stopping Russia from blowing bridges?

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I thought Ukraine had been in full control of Sumy for a couple of weeks now? Was it still being fought over until just now?

e: looks like others were confused as well.

Sumy is the name of the oblast and the city. In addition Russian forces have held some of the suburbs/outskirts of Sumy (the city).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

The city center was in Ukrainian control. A lot of the suburbs weren't.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't think there is any chance that if Russia withdraws from Kherson, they won't blow up the two bridges over the lower Dnipro. After that, the Russians can hold at the river with much less force, and the only things the Ukrainians can do is small-scale harassment raids. If there is an offensive that reaches the Crimean border, that's going to come from the eastern side of Dnipro.