Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gaz-L posted:

Jay grabbing the chair and shaking his head like "gimme that, dummy" is also good.

Also Mark proudly pointing at Paul Turner like "you the man"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Also, that number isn't including the Honor Club subscriptions.

It's not including iPPV either, just actually via the TV PPV, I believe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Between this and constantly selling out AEW crowds, I don't know how Tony Khan can survive these continued humiliations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

It's not including iPPV either, just actually via the TV PPV, I believe.

It includes iPPV.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

MassRafTer posted:

It includes iPPV.

It includes Fite but not the sub service. Speaking of which, just rewatched FTR/Briscos, it's so loving good. Should of been the main event.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've always wondered - especially now - has Tony Khan ever talked about why he didn't just make moves to buy ROH after All In, instead of starting a new company from scratch? The EVPs were already there and the company already had a ton of history.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
ROH wasnt in deep poo poo due to covid canceling most their shows and the elite leaving

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I've always wondered - especially now - has Tony Khan ever talked about why he didn't just make moves to buy ROH after All In, instead of starting a new company from scratch? The EVPs were already there and the company already had a ton of history.

The ROH history also meant that on name value it had a limit to its potential.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

ROH wasnt in deep poo poo due to covid canceling most their shows and the elite leaving

The biggest factor was Sinclair making a really dumb move and leveraging a poo poo ton of debt to buy the 21 fox sports networks. Theyve lost a lot of money and their stock price has steadily declined since the purchase in 2019. Its not looking good for them long term.

They went into cost cutting mode and ROH went on the chopping block.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 6, 2022

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, prior to Sinclair betting on regional sports networks and losing, they were in a strong enough position to refuse any offers and keep ROH as what it was supposed to be during their tenure and ownership.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

lamentable dustman posted:

It includes Fite but not the sub service. Speaking of which, just rewatched FTR/Briscos, it's so loving good. Should of been the main event.

From a match quality perspective yeah, though I kind of get them deciding that the World Champion vs. Uncrowned World Champion should go on last. Also they were double booked.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Also we still don't know where the gently caress SENIOR RING OF HONOR OFFICIAL TODD SINCLAIR is!!!!!!!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

HulkaMatt posted:

Also we still don't know where the gently caress SENIOR RING OF HONOR OFFICIAL TODD SINCLAIR is!!!!!!!

Good. :v:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Personally I would not have given a poo poo about dude youve never heard of buys ROH, swears it will be really good now as a hook to get me to watch.

A brand new promotion is a whole different thing, and not just because theres a very clear and obvious jumping on point of all our stories start from here, like picking up a tv show right when it starts airing instead of a couple of seasons deep.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Agreed, I don't think a rebooted Tony Khan would have been as successful as a new promotion. A fully new promotion is way more of a disruptor.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Personally I would not have given a poo poo about dude youve never heard of buys ROH, swears it will be really good now as a hook to get me to watch.

A brand new promotion is a whole different thing, and not just because theres a very clear and obvious jumping on point of all our stories start from here, like picking up a tv show right when it starts airing instead of a couple of seasons deep.

Part of what made AEW sound so outlandish when the rumors started floating the Elite were in negotiations with a mystery new promotion was how limiting the concept sounded when we didn't know anything about it. A new ROH level company would just fracture the not WWE market even more. We really did need a company to make a complete break to shake things up and do something new. Someone relaunching ROH in the MGM Grand wouldn't work as well as a new company.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
I'm recently quite enamoured by shorter wrestlers (whose name isn't John Silver) doing cool poo poo, what are some of Jonathan Gresham's best matches that I can find online?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im just glad tony relented and the company wasnt called WBW.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

im just glad tony relented and the company wasnt called WBW.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
World Bhampionship Wrestling

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

W🅱️W

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
world's
best
wrestling

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it was never a b. it was a sharp s.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

WSW?

World's
Sexiest
Wrestling

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

also, ROH only really entered its first death spiral after they buggered up their half of the Madison Square Garden show

they were doing fine before it

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Venomous posted:

also, ROH only really entered its first death spiral after they buggered up their half of the Madison Square Garden show

That was certainly the point where I stopped caring. Enzo and Cass doing an angle was just sad.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If only more people respected Matt Taven...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i was at the ppv before the msg show where they decided to have lethal and taven go 60. it was dreadful.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The lovely Enzo and Cass run in gave us that great press conference where a legitimately angry Tama Tonga launched his ROH title into a wall and cussed out the management though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

History Comes Inside! posted:

The lovely Enzo and Cass run in gave us that great press conference where a legitimately angry Tama Tonga launched his ROH title into a wall and cussed out the management though.

He always was the Good Guy

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

If only more people respected Matt Taven...

Hello From The Matt Taven

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Venomous posted:

That was the one where Bully Ray basically tanked ROH's relationship with New Japan for the sake of his beloved "heat", right? It's good that he's basically been reduced to the Cornette level of "doing podcasts because nobody with any sense will give them a job these days".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1512620051899293700

absolute madman

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Hey an actual dream match (although maybe they wrestled at some point and I just missed it).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also goddamn do I want to see more of Pure Champion Wheeler Yuta now!

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rick posted:

Hey an actual dream match (although maybe they wrestled at some point and I just missed it).

cagematch doesn't have anything

also, his most recent 3 matches are bizarre to see on a list next to each other

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

loving hell, Tony must have railed so much coke before coming up with that

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

joe needs an roh tag title run if he wins this

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

joe needs an roh tag title run if he wins this

:hmmyes: After some deliberation I am down for this idea if he gets the right partner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

:hmmyes: After some deliberation I am down for this idea if he gets the right partner

Like Minoru Suzuki, born out of horrific respect?