Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Raising a 12 year Brown Willy to my lips and nodding across the bar at the rest of the English.

- Charles Dickens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Raising a 12 year Brown Willy to my lips and nodding across the bar at the rest of the English.

- Charles Dickens

- Charles "Richard" Dickens

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I think Fortnum & Mason were doing some reasonably priced English Whiskies recently. Might be worth a visit if you are going to be in London.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Speaking if whisky and London, one of the macro NA companies has a gin inspired whisky called The Forager.

It sounds… interesting… but I’ve not tried it tbh

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Message is clear guys, England is trash and any scotch/whisky/bourbon I pick up there is trash.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

England is a trash garbage country for idiots but they have some good whisky from a better country up north

Jokes aside if I were from the US I'd be on the lookout for a couple of bottles from independent bottlers. There are many excellent companies out there that are not making it to the states.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 6, 2022

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
My girlfriend got me one of those little oak barrels you can use to age spirits at home.

I have no idea what to do with it. I mean, it's not like I'm going to take a good whiskey and improve it by giving it more oak. And while my local bar does some stuff with barrel-aged cocktails, they also have a lot higher turnover than I do; I'm not going to go through a bunch of barrel-aged Old Fashions in any sort of reasonable time.

Any good suggestions on what to do with this other than just filling it with someone's white dog and hoping for the best?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Residency Evil posted:

Message is clear guys, England is trash and any scotch/whisky/bourbon I pick up there is trash.

If you can, find Red or Blue spot Irish. They’re very hard to find stateside and very good. Both would probably run near $130, but I’m just guessing cause I know union jack about British liquor markets.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I mean, I think barrel aging cocktails in those is ideal; it takes longer to age than you think and you could always transfer to glass bottles if you need to stop something overaging.

Otherwise yeah I mean get (or make) some moonshine. Alternatively I’d be really tempted to age some gin and make ersatz genever.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

If you can, find Red or Blue spot Irish. They’re very hard to find stateside and very good. Both would probably run near $130, but I’m just guessing cause I know union jack about British liquor markets.

Second this recommendation. I see Red from time to time in the US, but have never come across Blue in the wild. Am told it's basically cask strength Green, which sounds awesome.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Blue Spot is an annual release and they sell out fast. The 2021 may still be around in places if you look hard enough but they're sold out most everywhere. The 2022 isn't out yet, I think they release them near the end of the year, but info has been scarce.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phanatic posted:

My girlfriend got me one of those little oak barrels you can use to age spirits at home.

I have no idea what to do with it. I mean, it's not like I'm going to take a good whiskey and improve it by giving it more oak. And while my local bar does some stuff with barrel-aged cocktails, they also have a lot higher turnover than I do; I'm not going to go through a bunch of barrel-aged Old Fashions in any sort of reasonable time.

Any good suggestions on what to do with this other than just filling it with someone's white dog and hoping for the best?

I would throw in a cheap, young whiskey that you've already tasted a few times and see what results. Maybe a cheapo 3-year Scotch since even young bourbon tends to pick up a decent amount of barrel character due to the newly made/charred barrels they use.

Alternatively you could just buy some unaged white dog and see how that turns out. I would tune your expectations down, but it could still be a fun experiment.

Definitely would not throw something desirable/expensive in one of those things.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I tried Johnnie Walker Green for the first time. The nose is pretty decent but the taste is basically water. Better than Black but that’s not saying much. I’d take Highland Park 12 over it any day. I’d even take Macallan 12.

Also tried Angel’s Envy Cask Strength for the first time. The nose is flat, the front is promising in a Weller Antique 107 kind of way, but the actual taste is meh. Definitely not worth it.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 9, 2022

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What to do with peanut butter whiskey? It was a gift.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

wormil posted:

There's probably recipes for "drunken brownies" or some such poo poo. Or just re-gift.

If you're dead curious about it, buy an airline bottle of Skrewball like I did so you can do the Michael Bluth "I don't know what I expected" gag.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

wormil posted:

Ice, club soda, and grape juice.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Put a shot in a glass of chocolate stout, or if you want to be fancy use the peanut butter whiskey to replace the rum in a Black Flip.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've always wondered what the purpose of that whisky is. Non whisky drinkers, I guess, but why bother?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I use it to tart up some iced coffee and bourbon cream. It’s a liqueur, so just use it like one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If it’s less than 40% alcohol, it’s meant to be used in a cocktail :v:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I've always wondered what the purpose of that whisky is. Non whisky drinkers, I guess, but why bother?

Shots

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same thing that entire aisle of flavored vodka is for, right?

To be bought as a joke for a party and then sit taking up space in your cabinet for the next six years

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Data Graham posted:

Same thing that entire aisle of flavored vodka is for, right?

To be bought as a joke for a party and then next year brought to someone else's party and left there

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:barf:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Exists for the same reason as honey, apple, cinnamon, etc. "whiskeys". A lot of people want to get drunk quickly and cheaply but don't actually like the flavor of whiskey.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Also for the sister that sees it and thinks, "Hey, my brother likes whiskey and peanut butter! That's a great christmas gift!"

We tried it in a couple of cocktails, but I don't think I'd recommend any of them. I think a good chunk got used up by using it to spike hot chocolate.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Ice, club soda, and grape juice.

Edge the class with cracker crumbs, garnish with a carrot stick. Call it the "Sack Lunch."

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

WaffleZombie posted:

Also for the sister that sees it and thinks, "Hey, my brother likes whiskey and peanut butter! That's a great christmas gift!"

We tried it in a couple of cocktails, but I don't think I'd recommend any of them. I think a good chunk got used up by using it to spike hot chocolate.

Spiking hot cocoa is a great use for flavored booze.

As for peanut butter whiskey, I forget what brand I tried but my initial impression of it was that it was more candy corn flavored

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Quiet Feet posted:

Spiking hot cocoa is a great use for flavored booze.

As for peanut butter whiskey, I forget what brand I tried but my initial impression of it was that it was more candy corn flavored

:barf:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Candy corn has a flavor?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tastes like candy corn

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Casu Marzu posted:

Tastes like candy corn predigested poo poo 💩

FTFY

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

spankmeister posted:

Candy corn has a flavor?

Tastes like Sheepdog peanut butter whiskey, apparently.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm looking to send a bottle of whisky to a work associate. Say 50-90 bucks a bottle. They're in Texas, so are there any decent Texas distilleries that make something fun, good, and in that price range?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I can speak for Houston- Yellow Rose is kinda garbage, Whitmeyer's is ok to decent.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Carillon posted:

I'm looking to send a bottle of whisky to a work associate. Say 50-90 bucks a bottle. They're in Texas, so are there any decent Texas distilleries that make something fun, good, and in that price range?

Hopefully someone else chimes in with more, but Balcones and Iron Root win a ton of awards and Whiskey Tribe gush about them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

So far I've only been able to get my hands on Balcones. It's really very good, and quite unlike anything else.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Garrison Bros is popular too but pretty polarizing (as is most Texas whiskey)
I've also heard great things about Still Austin

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Carillon posted:

If they're already into bourbon they may prefer a Kentucky whiskey, since they are pretty much the benchmark for American whiskey.

Otherwise, Balcones makes a lot of genuinely interesting stuff in that price range of variable quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I don't know of any Texas distilled whiskeys, good or bad, but if I had to recommend a gift bottle in the $50-$90 range, Barrell would be my suggestion. It's available pretty much everywhere and is actually on shelves, they have a variety of unique characteristics, and they are very tasty.