Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I would rather play 500 rounds of Blitzball for celestial weapons than do the loving lightning bolt dodging or chocobo race even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
every mini game in final fantasy x sucks rear end EXCEPT blitzball imo

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Blitzball gets real boring when you 100%, but it's a decent minigame.

The lightning bolt dodging is why I tell people to never think about 100%ing that game.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh FFX update. Got all the summons and all the celestial weapons. I was going to say gently caress it to Auron's Spheres, cause I have to go through a mega-boss to get it, BUT then I realized I could cheaply grind Yojimbo enough to 1HKO so you know what? I'm going to take my chances.

I haven't tried this much to 100% a game in so long. It's so good.

Hearing this is making me reminisce something fierce; FFX was the first game that gave me the completionist itch and it took 180+ hours to scratch it. Excellent work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely don't mind the Chocobo Race. It kinda sucks but it doesn't take that long to get it down. Lightning Dodging sucks because it is pure unfiltered unhindered loving tedium for a minimum of 15 minutes assuming you don't zone off or get bored and eat a bolt. I'd rather try at something I feel like I'm trying at instead of "hit button 200 times in a row while doing nothing else."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The only thing I sort of remember about FFX is that people, I think generally? didn't really like it at the time. Am I misremembering?

Edit: that might've been some weird (and totally unsurprising) goon opinion. Looks pretty good!

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The only thing I sort of remember about FFX is that people, I think generally? didn't really like it at the time. Am I misremembering?

Almost every Final Fantasy is despised by the core FF audience on release, until at minimum the next numbered entry comes out. IIRC, X was referred to as a Hallway Simulator, until XIII showed us all what a true hallway simulator is (XIII is my favorite for ~~reasons~~ but I'm not going to say it is without problems)

The FF mega thread here was at one point titled "Every Final Fantasy is the Worst Final Fantasy" for a reason

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

FF9 was really well received and people were really looking forward to it. The busted website tie-in strategy guide was the only issue. Especially after FF8, eesh, that was rough.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just reshelled my Joycons like I threatened to do a few weeks ago and sheesh Nintendo loves their ribbon cables huh? Was easier than reshelling my GBA SP but not by that much

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I just finished FFXIII on Game Pass after a decade-long FF hiatus, and it's no FFXII (or X) but I enjoyed it plenty.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

is there any way to fix stick drift on a switch lite that's halfway idiotproof? or am i doomed to walk backwards ever so slowly forever

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

blow compressed air into it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
final fantasy x was good then and its good now

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
every final fantasy is good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

every final fantasy is good

lol

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Anime Liker posted:

Oh darn, is that the argument? I thought they said there were no colors, then no green.

How silly of me. Geez, there sure is egg on my face. Thank god you showed up to correct this horrible blunder I unintentionally bumbled into. How can I ever repay you? A million thanks.

Okay

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I just beat SMT V and goddamn is that a good game
Gonna need them to keep pumping those bad boys out if this is the new level of quality/convenience

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely don't mind the Chocobo Race. It kinda sucks but it doesn't take that long to get it down. Lightning Dodging sucks because it is pure unfiltered unhindered loving tedium for a minimum of 15 minutes assuming you don't zone off or get bored and eat a bolt. I'd rather try at something I feel like I'm trying at instead of "hit button 200 times in a row while doing nothing else."

I failed the lightning bolts at 192 or so a long time ago, and that made me not play ffx for over 10 years. Dark Souls has nothing on that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chronojam posted:

FF9 was really well received and people were really looking forward to it. The busted website tie-in strategy guide was the only issue. Especially after FF8, eesh, that was rough.

Unfortunately this isn't really true.

A lot of FF fandom came to FF through 7 and 8 which were louting More Realistic Graphics (for the time) and then they went to big headed bobble cartoon characters. It got a similar response to what happened with Wind Waker. Its sales numbers were something like half of what 7, 8 and 10 all reached. A lot of people love IX now and it wasn't like despised on release but the switch to the cartoony art style was met with a lot of "baby poo poo for babies" stuff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 7, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
final fantasy 9 had people really angry it was a callback to the older games and not a realistic sci-fi adventure ... what a bunch of dumb asses imo

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Are the ports of FFVII and FFIX good on Switch?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 9 had people really angry it was a callback to the older games and not a realistic sci-fi adventure ... what a bunch of dumb asses imo

to be fair, sci-fi is still a relatively underutilized genre in JRPGs. I can understand folks wanting them to continue the trend of the cool weird poo poo the last 2-3 games were on

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 7, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
final fantasy x was ridiculed for its voice acting and lip sync issues and because tidus was a very realistic portrayal of a dumb whiny teenager who matures over the story to not be so dumb and whiny

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Willo567 posted:

Are the ports of FFVII and FFIX good on Switch?

they've worked for me so they are good imo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also because of Tidus's character design and daddy issues character in general
And I don't disagree with the character design issue. Dude looks like a clown on laundry day

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Calaveron posted:

And I don't disagree with the character design issue. Dude looks like a clown on laundry day

his outfit is realistic for someone who came from a 1000 year old city with robots imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy x was ridiculed for its voice acting and lip sync issues

Yeah at the time FFX got a lot of "lol the voice acting sucks" and "MEG RYAN" stuff. (Including a bunch of "I bet the Japanese version is better" when it turns out Tidus and Yuna's VAing in Japan was significantly worse!) It still sold fuckin' gangbusters mind you but it was mocked plenty.
FF12 is the closest the series ever came to a bomb. "It plays itself" and "There is no story" were probably the biggest criticisms leveled but for whatever reason game just sold like utter poo poo. XIII and XV had more troubled production history but sold significantly better.
XIV might be the "series bomb" if it hadn't turned itself around into "the most profitable and successful game in the franchise" instead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I assume people hated daddy issues because it hit to close to home

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Calaveron posted:

not even Amano could save him

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
jecht is a pretty realistic portrayal of an emotionally abusive father trying to toughen his son up with lovely parenting imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tidus is a teenage sports star with too much success and popularity so it's very easy to imagine him dressing like a complete dumbass.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
tidus ftw

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Even if "he's a dumbass he's supposed to look stupid" is the intent (it wasn't) why would you want to spend dozens of hours with the idiot who looks like he's wearing high-fashion future-renaissance J-POP JNCOs

you know Nomura thinks that poo poo is the coolest

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it is the coolest

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like the dude is an underwater sports athlete and every piece of his outfit has been designed to provide maximum drag

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its like weighted clothes in dbz

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I got to be honest I do not care even a little bit about what clothes any character is wearing.

I know the internet is obsessive on this point however

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its like weighted clothes in dbz

Well yes but the DBZ doofuses know to take it off when poo poo gets real and Tidus waddles around in his half pant and silly collar all game long

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the blitzers of spira suck and none are worth removing the clohing to beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the blitzers of spira suck and none are worth removing the clohing to beat

He probably could've taken it off when he had his hissy fit after Sin obliterates all the goofballs during operation deadmeats